Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If only in fairness,Nuzzler has been eclipsed for decades and offers nothing worth a flying fhuqk. Hint.

Bless their hearts for trying though........................

What bullets do you prefer?

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tend to bleed Hornady. Hint……….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Shoot a .30 caliber 165 interlock into a gel block and then shoot a nosler accubond or a partition into the gel. Difference will probably not even be noticeable. I know it ain't on deer! Nosler is a great bullet manufacturer, no doubt. Their bullets have never failed me. But why would I spend 70 bucks when 30 gets me the same dang thing? Food for thought.
Also, if I want high performance and bc yada yada, that eld x will take care of that.

Last edited by Coyote10; 07/21/23.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP
Try the Sierra game changers (tipped game kings )
Sierras have been shooting better for me vs Nosler

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That nosler rep should write speeches for the Biden admin. First of all, they are not a “small” poor factory. They have been around since the 1940’s for f sake! John nosler is rolling over in his damn grave right now because of how his company is being ran. Nosler has not been here for it’s “loyal” customers, like he wants to make you all believe. They have been trying to fu ck us for the last 3 years. Blaming it on this and that. When I emailed them, they put the blame on Covid. Being from Oregon and only living 120 miles from them, I saw what they were doing and did not like it then. Just as I don’t like their antics now. I don’t buy bullets from them anymore, and neither do a lot of people I know. We’ve moved on until they start thinking of the customer and not about lining their pockets. There are other bullet manufacturers out there that kept us supplied, without making excuses, nor butt taping us.
How dare a corporation, in America, of all places, expect to turn a profit?

Capitalism will decide the fate of the company.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
In the last 60 days, I have purchased enough 2'nds from Midway in .243, .264, and .284 to almost earn the hoarder title.

We do have alternatives.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to walk in their store and buy what I wanted as needed. I used their bullets almost exclusively. That was a while ago.

I have found alternatives for everything I use with the exception of the. 224 64gr. BSB.

When I found these important to me, I bought quite a few, and probably won't be buying anything made by them any time soon.
UNLESS, they become competitive again. They aren't now, they have been out paced in development, and aren't worth pursuing.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
That nosler rep should write speeches for the Biden admin. First of all, they are not a “small” poor factory. They have been around since the 1940’s for f sake! John nosler is rolling over in his damn grave right now because of how his company is being ran. Nosler has not been here for it’s “loyal” customers, like he wants to make you all believe. They have been trying to fu ck us for the last 3 years. Blaming it on this and that. When I emailed them, they put the blame on Covid. Being from Oregon and only living 120 miles from them, I saw what they were doing and did not like it then. Just as I don’t like their antics now. I don’t buy bullets from them anymore, and neither do a lot of people I know. We’ve moved on until they start thinking of the customer and not about lining their pockets. There are other bullet manufacturers out there that kept us supplied, without making excuses, nor butt taping us.

Ha. Need trumps azz back in office. Politicians now drove the price up on everything. Diesel is 4 to 5 bucks, heck even a dang big mac is 12 bucks. I know it's not 1995 anymore but...a dang box of 20 gauge shells is 10! Premium ammo for an old 06 is 100. Not hard to figure out. America needs to drill their own dang oil and tell the communist to shove it. A working family busting it to buy goods and casually stroll down the ammo isle ain't willing to flop a 100 dollar bill on the counter for ammo. Heck it might be more to roll your own!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote10

Ha. Need trumps azz back in office. Politicians now drove the price up on everything. Diesel is 4 to 5 bucks, heck even a dang big mac is 12 bucks. I know it's not 1995 anymore but...a dang box of 20 gauge shells is 10! Premium ammo for an old 06 is 100. Not hard to figure out. America needs to drill their own dang oil and tell the communist to shove it. A working family busting it to buy goods and casually stroll down the ammo isle ain't willing to flop a 100 dollar bill on the counter for ammo. Heck it might be more to roll your own!

A little figgerin’ using current pricing with a premium ($1) bullet and new brass comes out to $50 a box, about what such ammo costs at Midway or Grafs. Both have plenty of decent hunting ammo in the $30-$40 range, saw some for just over $20. As usual, someone that just grabs something off the shelf at Meemaw’s & Peepaw’s is gonna pay, and have limited choices. Now is the time to buy ammo for the coming season, btw, in case anyone’s forgotten the recent past……

Those handloads come down about 40% when you refill your empties, and components that you already have on hand because you planned ahead a bit make those cartridges practically free!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I run a small mfg business, not firearms related. Before seeing this thread, a few days ago, I said to one of my guys, "It's just plain harder to run the business, than it used to be." Customers, suppliers, regulations, you name it, there's a lot more administrative overhead in damn near everything. On top of that, as a society we've denigrated skilled trades, and it's a major problem across many industries, including metalworking. It's hard to find skilled people to make precision product, and you have to pay them a lot more than you did 10 years ago.

We buy a lot of raw materials, and arrange for subcontracting, and I'd say a lot of manufacturing companies have actually lost capacity in the past 10 years - especially after the pandemic. Most of that is due to loss of skilled workers, but it's also harder to find good office people too - buyers, schedulers, engineers, you name it. I'm lucky that I've had a fairly free hand from the company owners, and I've taken the approach of paying what I need to pay to get people in, that we need to operate. If my costs go up, I'll raise prices to maintain profits, and keep the business healthy and well able to serve customers. Some businesses focus purely on short-term results - or, the operations people know what to do, but are held back by financial types who only want to harvest profit, and not put any back into the business.

I like and prefer Nosler bullets. Whatever their exact challenges are, the odds are they are complex, and not easily solved.

Well put. Personally, I'm making more now (per hour) now than I ever have for the simple fact that I have a fairly good reputation for knowledge AND reliability in our area. I've had a couple of other offers more because of reliability in the past 6 months just because the places can't find someone reliable to show up. Bottom line, when you have to pay more just to get a reliable worker in a position, the price of your product has to go up. That being said, I have always preferred to buy locally just to support business in our area even if it meant paying a few pennies more per shot. Now, to get stuff I have had to buy most of my stuff online. Almost all of the small well stocked gun shops within 50 miles have went out of business since O'Bummer got elected the first time.

I have been a Sierra fan since I started loading 20+ years ago, mainly because the pricing and availability in this area was much better and I almost never had a problem finding something that would be accurate and work well on game. Recently I have been buying more Hornady because the Sierra's hve increased more in price. About the only Noslers I shoot are the .30 150 Ballistic tips because they are one of only two bullets that I have found that do well in my '06. No more than I shoot that particular rifle anymore if I can snag another 500 of those it will probably be a lifetime supply, but I still wouln'dt be willing to pay much of a premium for them. The Sierra 165 GKHP shoots just as well and performs just as well on deer, just with what seems to be a slightly longer death sprint from them.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
you know fairness on the hoarding comment..
if you talk to people who worked at various places that sold ammo reloading supplies and such, many would tell you the same people line up at the doors at the time of shipment to buy the maximum amount of stuff the store will allow... I'm sure that is currently slowed down but the times of the highest demand these things were happening in the same people would be at different business locations in the same town areas and that's all they did... granted I'm betting most of them people inflated the prices and put them on GunBroker but still..

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348

A little figgerin’ using current pricing with a premium ($1) bullet and new brass comes out to $50 a box, about what such ammo costs at Midway or Grafs. Both have plenty of decent hunting ammo in the $30-$40 range, saw some for just over $20. As usual, someone that just grabs something off the shelf at Meemaw’s & Peepaw’s is gonna pay, and have limited choices. Now is the time to buy ammo for the coming season, btw, in case anyone’s forgotten the recent past……

Those handloads come down about 40% when you refill your empties, and components that you already have on hand because you planned ahead a bit make those cartridges practically free!

I see where your coming from, but you still have to seat a bullet. If it was a partition, to roll up 50 it will be at least 50-60 bucks at the cheapest. And that's after the 3rd or 4th time, figuring in the powder and brass paying for itself on the first 2 loadings. But I'm a reloader, and when it's all said and done you really can't put a price on what your rifle likes and terminal performance. But you can do it for half the price and get the same result with a Hornady bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have found that expensive, hard to acquire bullets - are an answer to a problem that goes away with a muzzle velocity of around < 2800 fps, and a range of around < 400 yards.

$60-70/50 box - is a poor economic solution to simply getting closer and shooting better.

GR

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Scarce as our favorite Nosler bullets are, I’m still not seeing a regular supply of my favorite powders nor more especially primers.

We are seeing a lot of Ramshot powders and a few oddballs in this area. If we do get IMR4350 or Varget or H1000 on the shelves its $55-65 a pound with only a few bottles and purchase limits.

I haven’t seen Winchester Large Rifle or CCI Large Pistol primers on shelves since Bloe Jiden took office. I read recently that there are only three or four primer factories in the whole country trying to keep up. Factory ammunition is starting to make a comeback but at prices 50-75 percent higher than two years ago.

To paraphrase and build from what Fotis said earlier, time to quit introducing new cartridges and putting efforts into suppressors etc. and focus all efforts on your bread and butter products.

It’s bad times folks. Bad and just getting worse.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I can remember in the late 90s when you could buy powder for 20 bucks a pound, 100 noslers for 20 bucks, and brass for .25 cents a piece. Primers for 1.99.... that's when it was economical. I mean a box of power point super x's was 12.99. Now it's getting stupid. So to the hoarders out there I say good job. 👍 Now you don't have to deal with the inflation b.s..

Last edited by Coyote10; 07/23/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just finished developing a load for my 300 H&H using 200 grain Accubonds and loaded 20 rounds to use for hunting. At the end of the day the box of 50 is almost gone but those loaded 20 rounds will last a while. I'm going to use this rifle on a free range Gemsbuck hunt this fall. When you take into consideration the costs involved gas, food, hotels while traveling taxidermy (if successful) the $50-$60 on the box of bullets is neglidgeable.
My 243's have never seen a bullet other than the NPT 100 grain. I haven't had a 243 in a long time but one is on the way. I can't find the 100gr NPT anywhere but did score two boxes of Barnes 100 grain TTSX and I'm sure these will work just fine.
My LGS hasn't had Nosler bullets of any king for probably over a year. They have the same 3 boxes of 416 400 grain Partitions that they keep raising the price on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I see where your coming from, but you still have to seat a bullet. If it was a partition, to roll up 50 it will be at least 50-60 bucks at the cheapest. And that's after the 3rd or 4th time, figuring in the powder and brass paying for itself on the first 2 loadings. But I'm a reloader, and when it's all said and done you really can't put a price on what your rifle likes and terminal performance. But you can do it for half the price and get the same result with a Hornady bullet.

I replied to a post about $100 .30/06 ammo, presumably 20-round boxes. Partitions have alway come dear, although a few years back SPS had 150gr .30 overruns for $20 a box of 50, about the cost of “ordinary bullets” from other companies. Pays to poke around and keep an eye out.

I have a hard time using even cheap partitions for target practice, preferring to use leftovers and odds and ends for that. Truth be told, they’re probably overkill for scrawny whitetails, but certainly effective and reliable two-holers.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
I shot Nosler bullets almost exclusively. They flat out work so no reason to go elsewhere. When their products became difficult to find or too expensive I quickly became a Hornady fan. No problem finding Interlock or Interbond bullets. Maybe I'll go back to Nosler when they become more available, or maybe not.

That’s where I’m at. I’m guessing that I won’t be back to Nosler.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
I shot Nosler bullets almost exclusively. They flat out work so no reason to go elsewhere. When their products became difficult to find or too expensive I quickly became a Hornady fan. No problem finding Interlock or Interbond bullets. Maybe I'll go back to Nosler when they become more available, or maybe not.

That’s where I’m at. I’m guessing that I won’t be back to Nosler.

That's where a lot of us are. Those that say how dare a company try to turn a little profit in America: Fu ck those guys, they don't have a brain in their head. Those companies are trying to take advantage of their loyal customers. There's no excuse for that. If they lower their prices, I may buy from SPS. But then and only then will I consider it. If they don't, there are much better options out there right now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have always liked Nosler bullets so a inventory stock pile and also got a bunch of Nosler bullets free from a couple of friends , but now if i need any new different hunting bullets i chose a different direction because Hammer bullets always have their bullets in stock and Hammer bullets also shoot well.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,694
Posts18,494,150
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.