Print Thread
Hop To
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I recently acquired a mid 50’s model 94 with the metal and bore in terrific shape very little use.

However the stock has a couple problems which made this gun very reasonably priced. Butt has been cut for a recoil pad was considering just replacing worn out pad with the red Winchester reproduction as I have seen a few verified special orders in this time period with this pad. Second the finish seems to be breaking down seems sticky.

Any advice on if you can find replacement stock set and where to look. If current stock finish is beyond saving?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A couple to try is Bob's Gun Parts in Arkansas and Homestead Firearms in Arizona.

Might even get lucky and see one on ebay.

He went over yonder way
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
You’ll find the stock set you’re looking for on eBay.
Can you share any specifics re. where you’ve seen a few verified Special Orders in this time period with any pad?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'd guess the sticky finish indicates the stock has a mon factory finish on it.

The red repro pad always makes me think the stock has been cut and the pad added. I think finding nice replacement wood is you best bet. Remember the 1950s stocks are different from earlier stocks.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
No 'dis' intended to this Forum whatsoever, but first thing I'd do is at least consider "restoration" and the probability of whether your rifle ever had such a factory pad, which I sincerely doubt. Yet, 'if so', with possibility of "factory original", might wish to reconsider as even "leaving it alone" as collector variation and simply address the stickiness. For that info and all nuances technical to restoration, I'd contact the Winchester Collector's Association and present the situation to them for their opinions & forensic quality advice.

Based on the condition of the metal as you describe it, I'd likely go for restoration in any case. An era original stock, typically defined by "era correct butt plate" perhaps worth seeking. But butt of any era w/plate, likely better than a 'done up' pad even if Win generic correct.

Any pad acquired and installation cost to be considered against 'net' of stock & plate replacement plus whatever effort & correcting your 'sticky wicket'! smile Then eBay, whatever sale value of your existing combo. All as a 'net-net' alternatie of stock & plate screwdriver presumed installation! If you do decide to to go pad replacement, both WRA above and perhaps the Montana 'everything pre '64 Model 70' guy might be a good resource for a lead as likely repro pads as likwly generic between models. Buy or simply get advised referral: https://pre64win.com

Strictly re your 'sticky wicket', that as another matter of research where I'm no help. Would be nice to have a few pix of the "surgery candidate" if convenient! smile

Good luck & Best!
John

IC B2

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I was referencing a thread I found on Winchester collector forum where they discussed very few examples being verified within a certain serial range. I was not saying mine was factory just suggesting using a reproduction pad as a replacement since it appears it was used by Winchester.

Didn’t know if I can link thread to another forum??

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I think using the pad would be a mistake if the goal is to make the gun appear original. Aside from the cost of buying and professionally installing the pad, collectors will be unlikely to value the gun near the value of an original.

A correct set of wood for your gun should not be too difficult to find. Again, the mid 1950s stock has a differently shaped upper tang and the forend should have the shorter tip.

I haven't looked at prices on them lately but I'd guess them to be in the $300-400 range.

Last edited by Levers; 07/26/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,860
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.