Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Trust that your day is going well.

Working on another build concept: that of a medium-medium with in the .366-.375 range. This would be a thumper, but less recoil than a .375HH or Ruger variant and at least one round more capacity than either. I'd be quite happy with MV anywhere between 2300 and 2600FPS (plus or minus) with a suitable bullet.

I've narrowed the chambering down to 9.3x62 or a variant of .375 Whelen (regular, AI, etc.), and would get JES to do a rebore on something else I owned on a modern long action. Not interested in other options beside these two.

The style would be mannlicher (stuetzen) stock, bolt action, with iron sights and detachable low power scope, a 2 1/2x or so. Blind magazine (for portability and weight, no protruding magazine). Barrel length probably something between 17-20 inches. Likely shots would range to 100 yds or so.

Application would be Northern New England Moose and black bear. Scrambling around the mountains and deep (probably snowy) woods, so something on the lighter side weight-wise. Another possible application - although a stretch - would be to strap to my back as potential defense for bears while salmon fishing in Alaska. Not much bothered by recoil, so it can be as light as possible.

Understanding that these two chamberings are quite close, and either will do the job handily, I'm interested in your opinions with respect to these two. And value first hand experience shared.

Mebbe splitting hairs, but this IS the fire, so lob the question out there.

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Just a thought but a 404-375 wildcat has always intrigued me so I'd thought I throw that in the mix. It's just a standard 375 H&H case (not improved) necked up to .423 caliber. It's what I always thought the 400 H&H should've been. Easy feeding and extracting, a 400g bullet at 2150 fps super easy to attain, can probably get up to 2400 fps but why? Once again just a thought.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is a whole thread about this matter on AR a few years ago.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/660101779/p/1

The way life should be.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks but I want to keep this between .366 and .375, for reasons stated, with the magazine capacity of a non-"magnum" chambering, whether belted or otherwise.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My experience only: You can only get these results from RL-17, NOT RL-15!. My 9.3 x 62 is a Tikka T3 Lite with a 22.44" barrel, and limits COL to 3.37" due to the magazine clip. A long action will allow a longer COL. From the initial use of RL-15, MV was limited to a max of ~2460 fps from the 286 Hornady in winter climes (Central Ontario). And that was too "hot" for warmer weather. On the suggestion of a friend, I bought a 1 lb bottle of RL-17 (that I never knew existed) and have never looked back for the past dozen years! It is compressed to about 108% load density, being on the "slow" side for its capacity and bore size. That's 70 grains in Hornady cases and 68 in Lapua cases. Both give +2600 fps from the 286gr Partition and +2700 fps from the 250gr AB. I use WLRM primers for consistent ignition summer and winter. PSI is ~64,000 based on Quick Load, and from lots of experience with high intensity magnums from 7mm to .458, I'd say that's in the ball park from all pressure signs. The same rifle has been, and is chambered for the .338 Win Mag, which is SAAMI'd at 64,000. I've never had a problem, and have shot several bears with it.

The 250 AB is super accurate at sub- 1/2 MOA. Shot a bear with that load too. Massive trail of blood for 20 yds to dead bear.

Have yet to try a 300gr, but the 320gr Woodleigh PP over RL-17 has made up to 2500 fps with NO evidence of excessive pressure, but the accuracy node was at 2425 fps. The 286 Partition has always shot MOA or better at +2600 fps.

My rifle ready with scope and ammo weighs 7.75 lbs (Scope is a 3 - 9 x 40 Bushnell Elite).

From a 20" tube, I'd expect about 100 fps less than I'm getting from the same loads.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 07/28/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry buddy I was intending to post on another thread. Not thread drift but brain freeze! My bad!

The way life should be.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
No worries Blue. I'm up in the NEK of Vermont today, so prolly quite close to you as the crow flies. I'll guess that you understand firsthand the kind of country and situations that frame my specs for this build.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can’t help but suggesting the .375. I think that you should have a larger selection of bullet styles and weights!

Plus, I have an unabashed infatuation with the .375’s! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/28/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The practical options would be a 9.3x62 or maybe even a 9.3x66 - it still gives the extra cartridge in the mag and a bit more room for powder.

However some wildcatters go a step further and instead of using an improved 30/06 case use the 9.3x62 necked up to 375. You could similarly neck up the 9.3x66 case to 375. Since a lot of 375 pills have a relatively short ogive, either would make some sense.

I believe the 375 Hawk Scovill was originally based on the 9.3x62 case necked up to 375.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My path was a CZ 550 FS .Shooting sum bitch but my favorite is my 9.3x62 built on a commercial FN action

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
9.3x62 all the way. I've shot quite a few deer with mine and it is massively efficient.

The way life should be.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Find an old Winchester 1895 in 30-40 krag and have JES rebore it to 9.3X62. That is a pretty handy brush gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've owned several rifles chambered for 375 H&H, 9.3 x 62 and 9.3 x 74.

A variant that I like is the 376 Steyr, (375 Caliber)

Mine is in a Steyr Pro Hunter with a 20" barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MOH (Minute of Hoglet) @ 200 yds........

It is about 2" high at 100 yds

I usually go heavy for caliber but in this instance I decided to use the 235 Gr. TSX

It seems to thump accordingly.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have the .375-06 RCBS variant. It is very versatile! My diminutive wife (5', 125lb) shoots it with iron sights quite well out to 200 yards off of the bench.

I've loaded everything from the Missouri Bullet Co. #1 Ballard coated bullet, 245gr, sized .379", to Sierra 300 JSP Spitzers. It really shines with Speer 235gr JSP and IMR4064.
I have two custom molds for it but haven't dropped the first bullet from them. Too little time, too many projects.

I wish you the best in your search!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’d guess if you’re going to Africa the 9.3x62 would be the choice.

I chose the 375 Whelen AI.

The 375 Whelen AI was my choice because of several reasons.
1. The reamer and the dies were available.
2. The cases might last longer??
3. I have 375 jacketed bullets and 375 molds and I have a 375 H&H AI and had a 375 H&H.
4. The cases can be formed easily from 30-06 or 35 Whelen brass.

I didn’t need to have another size caliber bullets on the shelf. For me there were no pluses for the 9.3x62.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You wanna buy ammo over there ? 9.3 wins hands down.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
OK, to be fair, I haven't read in depth each above post, needing to admit. But I believe it's unfair of precept to compare a factory load of historic dimensions, with a "custom improved" round even as a highly successful one; much less a relatively "unknown". Perhaps too wrapped around the axle of victory of 'data' over rea world practicality! Many folks don't handload or wish to and market proportionately narrowed if "investment" plays any role. I'd not build the proposed rifle for such reason where 9.3x62 is a serious contender derailed.

I'd also not build a blind magazine where the project sounding to be a nifty rifle in the offing, "but for..." Such the fact that nifty bolt rifles are customarily defined in hinged magazines. Whether called out to defend you blind magazine choice or the viewer silently wondering... The fact of dollars "end product value" as the term "custom of quality" inferring the 'bomb bay' defined magazine capability. The trigger guard necessary, the "weight savings" defined as miniscule difference between wood and metal orifice coverings. Such difference in material weight as being "immaterial"! Where it 'might make some sense, of the 'plastic stocks', by any other term, as "utility' realization of plunked down on surfaces where such as rock or 'other' may quickly impact the finish of such as a floorplate. 'That' "utility consequence" I do fully understand. Short of such, "custom" to my mind bas the "hinged feature... In steel!

The difference in objective value as likely achieving "being material!"

Just my take
Good luck!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with the 9.3x62 over a virtually identical wildcat. Super accurate and thrives in carbine barrels.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/02/23.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by iskra
OK, to be fair, I haven't read in depth each above post, needing to admit. But I believe it's unfair of precept to compare a factory load of historic dimensions, with a "custom improved" round even as a highly successful one; much less a relatively "unknown". Perhaps too wrapped around the axle of victory of 'data' over rea world practicality! Many folks don't handload or wish to and market proportionately narrowed if "investment" plays any role. I'd not build the proposed rifle for such reason where 9.3x62 is a serious contender derailed.

I'd also not build a blind magazine where the project sounding to be a nifty rifle in the offing, "but for..." Such the fact that nifty bolt rifles are customarily defined in hinged magazines. Whether called out to defend you blind magazine choice or the viewer silently wondering... The fact of dollars "end product value" as the term "custom of quality" inferring the 'bomb bay' defined magazine capability. The trigger guard necessary, the "weight savings" defined as miniscule difference between wood and metal orifice coverings. Such difference in material weight as being "immaterial"! Where it 'might make some sense, of the 'plastic stocks', by any other term, as "utility' realization of plunked down on surfaces where such as rock or 'other' may quickly impact the finish of such as a floorplate. 'That' "utility consequence" I do fully understand. Short of such, "custom" to my mind bas the "hinged feature... In steel!

The difference in objective value as likely achieving "being material!"

Just my take
Good luck!
John

Comment appreciated. "Investment" is not a factor as I do not plan on reselling. This would strictly be a user.

As to hinged vs blind magazine the key discriminator (until your post) between the two has been safety vs convention.

I have little interest in a hinged magazine popping open and dumping rounds on the ground in a moment of terror, haste or clumsiness (none of which I confess to being immune to). Preferring instead the most rudimentary of controls and moving parts. Utter reliability is paramount, IME in causal relationship to simplicity. I'm one lf those guys that prefers to wind up the windows on their vehicle by hand.

But you raise another factor: raising a possible misapprehension in the proposed design in the difference in magazine capacity between blind and hinged, all other factors being equal. My preference would be more down, with no protrusions in front of the trigger guard to displace carry-ability. So am all ears on this.

I suppose a better mousetrap in a hinged magazine than say a Remington BDL version (which I have popped open inadvertently) is not ruled out.

Thanks in advance.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am late to this party and your decision has likely been made.
I also would go with the long proven performance and overall availability of the 9.3x62.
You can easily purchase factory ammunition and components in many areas of the world and there is minuscule difference in performance.
I have had several different 9.3x62s put together and considering another.
My current one is a rebored MarkX with a nice custom walnut stock.
I am considering another rebore on a model 70 Winchester I have in a synthetic stock. With the addition of iron sights, it would make a nice do everything rifle.
Best of luck with your build. Keep us updated and pics would be great.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My late-to-the-party 2 cents: Wonder what Blu Cs decided to do ?

9.3x62mm is the way I would go.
CZ550 (Sir Bob) has supplied the handloading roadmap.

Never a blind magazine if you can help it.
A jam can happen even with the best, if a bit of debris gets in the box in combat.
Near impossible to clear except by dropping the floor plate sometimes.
It is a unlikely, but possible.
Be ready for the unlikely, and the rest is easy.
Also, never a Remington 700, whether BDL or ADL if you can help it.

I understand the wildcat thing, having done over 2 dozen of them myself.
I am still trying to grow out of it, but being a professional small boy makes it hard.
I am currently troubled by the .458 Watts Express 2.7".

The C.I.P. 9.3x62mm Mauser performs all out of proportion to its size.
One reason for that is that it has a long, leade-only throat that is longer in proportion to caliber than the .458 WinMag.
Leade angle is 0*21'29" for the 9.3x62mm.
Same measure is 0*29'30" for the more abrupt .458 WinMag.

The 9.3x62mm Mauser CIP will beat the socks off the usual .375 Whelen AI if the latter has a short and tight freebore.

1:14.17" twist (360mm) is CIP spec for the 9.3x62 barrel.
I bought a CZ 9.3x62 with 21.5" barrel length, the FS/Mannlicher style walnut,
with a steel floor plate.
First time out it put 3 shots into 0.306" at 100 yards, with Norma factory ammo, 232-gr Vulcan soft point.
I measured the twist and 1:14" is what I got.

I was so impressed with the 9.3x62mm, that I had to have the Ruger Hawkeye African on impulse at the local emporium,
when first I spotted one a few years ago.
That one has a skinny 24"-long barrel of 1:10" twist.
That one cries out for heavy bullets, have not tried them yet.

If I built a 9.3x62mm Mauser from scratch I would probably use a 1:12" twist.
I like knowing that the bullet's revolutions per second are the same as its feet per second at the muzzle.
That CZ I have was advertised as a 1:9.5" twist but it turned out to be a 1:14" twist.
Still scratching my head over that one.

If you must do the .375/.30-06, I understand.
If I did it, I would be sure it was throated like the CIP 9.3x62mm.
and with brass to match whatever dies are easiest to find.
That would be a custom reamer job.
Use a 1:12" twist like on the .375 H&H, or a 1:10" twist if you dare.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Purely an emotional response; the 375 Whelen AI combines the work of two great Americans to create a terrific round.
Frankly the 375 Whelen standard is all you could want for your stated purpose. 5 down and ready for anything in the woods.
Otherwise take Bob’s and Ron’s advice. 🤠

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I would go with the 9.3x62 over a virtually identical wildcat. Super accurate and thrives in carbine barrels.

Yep. For a while I owned two CZ 550 9.3x62s, the standard rifle with a 23.6" (60cm) barrel, and a Stutzen with a 20.5" barrel. Took 'em both to the range one day with both factory ammo and handloads, and some ammo actually chronographed a little faster in the shorter barrel. Others didn't, but the difference wasn't much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gents:

Thanks all for your contributions, all very worthy! The truth is I'm still undecided, because I'm focused on an unrelated family issue right now (new granddaughter!), and in the words of the Prophet Mohammed: "Haste is the work of the devil". smile

As far as practicalities go (i.e. what to buy, etc) my options are narrowing down to:

1) Have JES rebore a long action in a post 64 Winchester M70 push feed or a R700 to either caliber

2) Rebarrel an old mauser action to either caliber.

3) Buy a Husqvarna from someplace like Simpsons, likely in 9.3x62 and not improve (fool) too much with it. Just run it until I can sort out the improvements it "needs".

Looking other cost factors, although the decision would not pivot on these: in favor of the 9.3x62 dies seem a lot less expensive than for the .375 W or WI by orders of magnitude, and in favor of the .375 I have a modest stock of .375 bullets already on hand for reloading.

Understand the argument on BDL type floorplate vs blind magazine, but curious as to why not to do the project on a R700?

Thanks again!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't see where a 9.3x62mm with even a 250 gr. bullet would give your any grief with your intended quarry and conditions.

Much less a controlled expansion 286 gr.

Even inexpensive PPU factory ammo would probably work fine, and be comfortable to shoot out of a light weight rifle, as well as provide good brass for reloading both economy (Speer) and premium bullets.

GR

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Blu_Cs -

If you go with the Mauser rebuild, be sure to use a K98 or '38 Turk - the VZ-24s are too short for proper feeding of .30-06 length cartridges/bullet profiles. Maybe you already knew this, but better to repeat vs. having a jam-o-matic!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by USMA1984DAB
Blu_Cs -

If you go with the Mauser rebuild, be sure to use a K98 or '38 Turk - the VZ-24s are too short for proper feeding of .30-06 length cartridges/bullet profiles. Maybe you already knew this, but better to repeat vs. having a jam-o-matic!

My half dozen VZ24 based customs would prove you wrong.
This one is a 9.3X62 similar to what the op has in mind and it feeds flawlessly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some will say pick the 9.2x62(3) because it's more popular in Africa. I say then why not pick the 7x64 over the 280 Remington because it's more popular in Europe.

Here's my choice a 375 Whelen AI with suppressor:

I've been mostly shooting 235 grain Speers in it so far. The last group I shot with iron sights was: 375 Whelen AI, M98, 235 Speer, 61 grains H335, 0.729"., that was before the suppressor and with iron sights at 54 yards. At 108 yards I shot a 1/2" group after I mounted a M8-4x scope on it, before the suppressor - which came today.
I bought a few boxes of 270 grain SPEER boat tail soft point bullets and when the weather gets better, I'll be putting it on paper.

This was what it looked like last year:

Granted I have a 375 Win and a 375 H&H AI, so I have boxes of 375 bullets. I also have 375 molds and I do not shoot factory ammo or at least rarely shoot factory ammo and mainly to get brass.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/31/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One suggestion lists a 286 at 2600+. Another load lists a 300 at 2400.

Why not get a 375 H&H?

Last edited by RinB; 10/31/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RinB
One suggestion lists a 286 at 2600+. Another load lists a 300 at 2400.can do at least just as well

Why not get a 375 H&H?

Yup, I'm the guy who has published those numbers that came about when I switched to RL17 from RL-15 back in 2011. I've written a lot of blogs about the performance of my Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 since then, saying it had replaced all my mediums - which was true. Like all 9.3 x 62 rifles, it is prrobably the most accurate big game rifle I've ever owned (right out of the box) and has never had any work done on it since for accuracy purposes. The barrel is a Sako match grade 22.44". The 250gr Nosler AB at +2700 fps shoots sub- 1/2 MOA when I'm up to it. And the 286 Partition at +2600 fps is sub-MOA for three at 100 yds. The 320gr PP took a bit more work to get the COL right so it too would shoot sub-MOA at +2400 fps. All three of those loads are the result of using RL-17. But for the 232gr Oryx, I use RL-15, and a modest load at +2400 fps that shoots into the same group at the 320gr at around the same speed - at 100 yds. That too is well under 1" for 3 or 5 at 100 yds. Of course the 320gr will carry its speed better down range due to a much better BC.

And, as you're aware, I've been working on loads for my "new" .375 H&H and have written much about that over the past several months. It's not my first .375 H&H, I've owned a couple - a Winchester M70 PF and a Browning A-Bolt previously.

But for what the OP has asked opinions on, I'd recommend the 9.3 x 62 over a .375 H&H. The .375 H&H is simply a bigger and much heavier rifle with slightly better ballistnics for the largest and most dangerous African fauna which is not needed in North America. I have the .375 H&H because of interest in it's best practical ballistics compared to other mediums, and have written pieces to that effect, not because I needed it for anything that my 9.3 x 62 can't do just as well where I hunt, and what. Will I keep the .375 H&H? At my age, they'll all go sooner than later, but I expect the .375 H&H will likely be the first - after all, I have a .458 Win Mag that will certainly be the last to go!

But all are very versatile for the handloader, and it's not necessary to use top loads in most of them, most of the time. The .458 being the MOST versatile (by far) of the bunch that I have.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 10/31/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Bob:
I have kept up regularly with your blog for several years now,
did go back to the beginning early on, to catch up.
Good stuff, thanks.
You said, above:
"The .458 being the MOST versatile (by far) of the bunch that I have."

Me too !
The 9.3x62mm Mauser is a gifted cartridge with a long, leade-only throat.
From 1905 origin to 1956 inspiration of Winchester engineers ?
Was Otto Bock's 9.3mm gift to mankind the godfather of the .458 WinMag ?
Both perform all out of proportion to size and with extreme accuracy potential.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wish there was enough stuff to hunt so one could justify an nice middlebore. I've thought seriously of both 9.3 and 375 Whelan. Trouble is I've got a fee 338's, 375Ruger, and 375H&H, and on the bottom end a 30-06. Hard to justify an middlebore when I've got 11 of them at the moment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a pic of a rifle I found on line. Really like the lines on this one and with the short forend would look right with the shorter bbl the OP mentioned. 9.3x62 would be the only choice.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Wish there was enough stuff to hunt so one could justify an nice middlebore. I've thought seriously of both 9.3 and 375 Whelan. Trouble is I've got a fee 338's, 375Ruger, and 375H&H, and on the bottom end a 30-06. Hard to justify an middlebore when I've got 11 of them at the moment.

Well 11 is an odd number, might as well make it an even dozen. If that helps laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by USMA1984DAB
Blu_Cs -

My half dozen VZ24 based customs would prove you wrong.
This one is a 9.3X62 similar to what the op has in mind and it feeds flawlessly.

My choice is the 9.3X62 hands down. I like to be able to use factory ammo if necessary, and I'm not jazzed about crafting for a "cat". I've had five previous 9.3X62s and now use a plain-Jane Husqvarna FN 98 commercial actioned rifle. The CZ 550 American was the clubbiest rifle I've ever owned, and it hit me all the wrong places, especially in the cheek. I had a 98 commercial action 8 Mauser that was a JES re-bore to 9.3, two Rugers, a semi-custom on a VZ-24, and now the Husqvarna which is my favorite of the five. It's just a garden variety 98 that's light, has decent iron sights, a Timney Sportsman set at 3 pounds, and a Vari X III 2.5-8 Loopy in QD mounts.

As to the VZ-24 not working, my most accurate 9.3X62 was built on that action with a medium weight Bauska barrel. It was a five shot one-holer with any good quality factory ammo or properly crafted hand loads. It fed slick every time and wasn't fussy about how the bolt was worked.

My plain old 98 9.3, the bottom rifle:

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

Bought my first 9.3x62 over 20 years ago, after buying yet another one for my 9.3 mentor, Chub Eastman--long-time rifle loony who worked for both Leupold and Nosler over the years, and hunted around the world. I'd found a 9,3x64 Husqvarna in good shape at a local gun store, and Chub was always on the lookout for yet another. So I bought it for him, and he insisted I try it out before sending it along. Liked the milder recoil--and accuracy, even though I only shot it with open sights.

Bought my first 9.3x62 at the same store a year or so later, the CZ 550 I still own--though like Chub with the Husky I had it custom-stocked. Have since used it considerably from Alaska to Africa--and eventually sold my custom .338 Winchester Magnum and .375 H&H because I never used either after hunting with the 9.3x62. It just works, with noticeably less recoil than the .338 or .375, and the magazine holds more rounds, though haven't needed 'em so far.

Every one of the 9.3x62s I've fired has also been very accurate, despite that long throat. This includes the other two I've owned, a CZ550 full-length-stocked "carbine" and a Ruger No. 1. But the restocked CZ 550 is the last medium-bore hunting rifle I'd part with--and have owned a bunch, including three .375 H&Hs.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I caught that you mentioned "restocked CZ 550". My CZ 550 American was spooky accurate, and I have always liked set triggers and have used some form since I was 12. I know there are arguments for and against set triggers and ultimate accuracy, as compared with a true uber trigger, properly tuned. Set triggers are a bit of a crutch for some of us.

My 550 American had my face black and blue, however I held and braced it. I'd love to see and hold your re-worked 550. I'm sure it is something to snug up to. I always wanted the CZ 550 LUXE full stock rifle. How is the stock on that scarce model?

I forgot that I had a sixth 9.3X62, and it was a wonderful and simple Mauser action rifle. It was put together by Mike McCabe. I sold it to help pay medical bills from a bout with cancer and time away from work. A great guy got it and appreciates it. I think his wife uses it now.

This One:

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
9.3 x 62 purely for history and feels. Available Lapua brass is also a plus. For once this isn’t an academic post; I actually executed this build on a Tikka action. Haven’t shot it yet, but feels great 😊

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Should have added it’s a lefty action.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CZ550
My experience only: You can only get these results from RL-17, NOT RL-15!. My 9.3 x 62 is a Tikka T3 Lite with a 22.44" barrel, and limits COL to 3.37" due to the magazine clip. A long action will allow a longer COL. From the initial use of RL-15, MV was limited to a max of ~2460 fps from the 286 Hornady in winter climes (Central Ontario). And that was too "hot" for warmer weather. On the suggestion of a friend, I bought a 1 lb bottle of RL-17 (that I never knew existed) and have never looked back for the past dozen years! It is compressed to about 108% load density, being on the "slow" side for its capacity and bore size. That's 70 grains in Hornady cases and 68 in Lapua cases. Both give +2600 fps from the 286gr Partition and +2700 fps from the 250gr AB. I use WLRM primers for consistent ignition summer and winter. PSI is ~64,000 based on Quick Load, and from lots of experience with high intensity magnums from 7mm to .458, I'd say that's in the ball park from all pressure signs. The same rifle has been, and is chambered for the .338 Win Mag, which is SAAMI'd at 64,000. I've never had a problem, and have shot several bears with it.

The 250 AB is super accurate at sub- 1/2 MOA. Shot a bear with that load too. Massive trail of blood for 20 yds to dead bear.

Have yet to try a 300gr, but the 320gr Woodleigh PP over RL-17 has made up to 2500 fps with NO evidence of excessive pressure, but the accuracy node was at 2425 fps. The 286 Partition has always shot MOA or better at +2600 fps.

My rifle ready with scope and ammo weighs 7.75 lbs (Scope is a 3 - 9 x 40 Bushnell Elite).

From a 20" tube, I'd expect about 100 fps less than I'm getting from the same loads.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

After a couple years of sporadic looking, I haven’t been able to find 286 Nosler PTs.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have around 50 Xtra 9.3 286 NP bullets

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A few years ago I saw an ad for a Custom LH 9.3x62 on one of the forums built on a Zastava Mauser Action that looked very well done so I bought it.

The stock was built by Dennis Olson and the metalwork was done by a couple different smiths including custom bases.

The gun shoots great and has accounted for a few whitetail and several pigs.

It has shot everything I have tried in it very well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Personally I'd have no interest at all in a wildcatted 375 based on a 30-06 case simply because there would be some added expense in making such a rifle and when I was done I can't see ANYTHING it would do any better then a stock 9.3X62. I own a 375H&H and I have used it so much in the last 50 years I had to re-barrel it because I shot the throat out of it. About 6 years ago I made a 9.3X62 and before that about 5 years earlier I made several form customers and friends and went out hunting with them, seeing how well it works on game from deer up to moose and bison. Here in America I have to say I see no real difference in it's effectiveness and that of my 375&H. Perhaps I could see some difference if the game was 2 tons and over, but in the USA and in Canada, we don't have game much over 2000 pounds.
Now, given the fact I see no real-world difference in the killing effects of the 9.3X62 and the 375H&H, I can't see ANY reason to go with a 375-06 in any wildcatted configuration. Sure, the 375H&H shoots a 270 grain bullet at about 2675 fps and that's faster then my 9.3 shoots a 286 grain ("only" 2400 FPS) but bullet HOLES do the killing. Both guns make a good sized hole clear through game up to moose size, breaking bones as they go, and the wound size looks pretty much the same from both rifles.
I have a 50 year love affair with the 375H&H so for me to say I see the 9.3X62 as an equal feels almost like was was cheating on my wife, but the fact are facts and I can't say anything bad at all about the 9.3X62, even in comparing it to the 375H&H.

As a side note:

I also own two 9.3X57s. Loaded as I load mine, they are also remarkable effective game-getters. I have used the Speer 270 grains bullets (good for deer, but prone to break up badly, so I'd advise avoiding them for faster shells, or any animal over about 250 pounds) and also the PPU 285 grain bullets which have proven to be excellent. The Hornady 286 grain seems to be a bit less strongly jacketed then the PPU, but so far it's given me excellent results on all game I have killed with it---- from all 4 of my 9.3 bore rifle. The best bullet I have found for the 9.3X57 is the Norma 232 grain Oryx, but they are hard to find and often quite expensive when I do.

But I bring it up simply because one of my 9.3X57s is made on a KAR Mauser M98 and required no modification of the action at all. I make it with an 18.5" barrel and a full stock "Mannlicher" style stock and it's a wonderful carbine for hunting in heavy brush. The9.3X57 gets very little attention in America, but it's equal or a bit better then the 358 Winchester (also largely ignored by most shooters) but not for any lack of merit. And I have used my 9.3X57 with great success for open country Antelope hunting, so the idea that it is too limited in it's range is simply not true if a man knows how to actually hunt at all.

The brass is made from PPU 8X57 and one pass through the sizer is all that's needed.

My 9.3s are two 9.3X57s, one 9.3X74R and one 9.3X62. I have no criticisms of any of them.

Last edited by szihn; 12/09/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to put a scope on my 375WAI. The following are the groups/loads were shot with a suppressor:

375W AI M98, 235 grain SPEER, 61 grains H335, 0.73" group with aperture sights at 54 yards = 1.29 MOA (no suppressor)
375W AI M98, 235 grain SPEER, 61 grains H335, 1.97" group with 4x M8 Leupold at 100 yards = 1.88 MOA
375W AI M98, 235 grain SPEER, 61 grains H335, 1.72" group with 4x M8 Leupold at 100 yards = 1.64 MOA
375W AI M98, 270 grain Horn SP RN, 57 grains H4895, 0.82" group with 4x M8 Leupold at 100 yards = 0.78 MOA
375W AI M98, 270 grain Horn SP BT, 57 grains H4895, 0.66" group with 4x M8 Leupold at 100 yards = 0.63 MOA
375W AI M98, 270 grain Horn SP BT, 57 grains H4895, 0.66" group with 4x M8 Leupold at 100 yards = 0.63 MOA (second group - I couldn't measure any difference)

The 57 grains load with 270 grain bullets are maximum - if you have such a rifle chambered for this cartridge, work up carefully. The good news is the above loads hit at close the same POI at 100 yards. The 61 grains H335 with 235 grain SPEER load centered at about 1/2" higher than the 270 grain loads.

235 grain SPEERS traveling at ~2,800 fps, 3" high at 100 yards, -1.5" at 250 yards, -6" at 300 yards.
270 grain Hornady traveling at ~ 2,600 fps, RN 3" high at 100, -3.9" at 250 yards, -11" at 300 yards.
270 grain Hornady traveling at ~ 2,600 fps, SPBT 3" high at 100, -2.3" at 250 yards, -8" at 300 yards.
The 270 grain Hornady SP BT should be good for anything I'll be shooting at. I have a few hundred of the RN 270's - seconds from MidwayUSA - they should be good for most anything I'll shoot at too. More work to be done with the 235.

I have some other 375 bullets on hand. I'm not sure if I'll be getting away from the two bullets tested much though, I am especially pleased with the 270 Horn loads.

This rifle was one I did as much of the work myself, at least what I could do without a lathe. I bought a 98 receiver from a Mauser guru. (I've had Mauser 98's all my life, but I am not an expert on Mausers!) It's a BRNO VZ 24 if that means something to one who would know.
I bought a semi-blank stock - mostly inletted but needing a lot of wood removal. I shaped the stock to fit me and put a Pachmayer recoil pad on it. I bought a blank 375 barrel from Shaw. I rented a reamer and cut the chamber by hand, that is without a lathe. The reamer was available right now and the dies were available right now. I had sold my lathe 30 years ago and while I've opened up chambers by hand, I never started from scratch - uff da - it's a lot of work. (I rust blued the barreled action myself also.)
I hired a gunsmith to mount a decent set of sights, which I had. Steel Lyman aperture rear sight and the front sight from Brownells. I found I could shoot it pretty well at 100 yards, but the first time out deer hunting with it I saw deer at 200 to 250 in the trees. Those sights and my eyes were not compatible with that scenario. I had a Leupold base for a 98 lying around and once again had to rely on a smith to install the base. While at it, the safety was converted to a 3-way safety that works with a scope. I put on a M8 4x Leupold scope, which I consider about right for the cartridge. The barrel is threaded for a suppressor and with that on the rifle, the recoil is mild.
As far as why a "375 Whelen AI", I wanted something different. I've owned center fire rifles since the late 50's and had many different common rifles chambered for common cartridges. I put a lot of work into this rife and it wasn't going to be a 30-06 or whatever some dude thinks it should have been. I figured the 375 Whelen Ai was about the most powerful cartridge based on the 06 case (I was likely wrong as the 400 Whelen might well be a more powerful round.) I also picked 375 because I owned a 375 H&H, a 375 H&H AI, and a 375 Win. I had plenty of molds in 375 and had a good selection of 375 bullets on the shelf. Plus, there is a plentiful supply of bullets on the market. I'm considering a 375-444 Ruger #1 since I have a #1 action that I'd like to modify.
I didn't pick a 35 Whelen AI as I had a 35 Whelen and a 35 Brown Whelen. and felt the 35 Whelen AI was more common than the 375 version.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/09/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 470Evans
A few years ago I saw an ad for a Custom LH 9.3x62 on one of the forums built on a Zastava Mauser Action that looked very well done so I bought it.

The stock was built by Dennis Olson and the metalwork was done by a couple different smiths including custom bases.

Absolutely gorgeous.
Slightly off-topic question for those who know Olson‘s work – did he often use that profile for a forend tip? I picked up a custom a couple months ago that has a forend tip shaped exactly like that and I’ve been trying to figure out who the maker is…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 470Evans

Absolutely gorgeous.
Slightly off-topic question for those who know Olson‘s work – did he often use that profile for a forend tip? I picked up a custom a couple months ago that has a forend tip shaped exactly like that and I’ve been trying to figure out who the maker is…
Dennis doesn't use that fore end profile unless a customer request it. I believe Rigby was the first to use that style.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you. I’m not used to seeing it on model 70s. Appreciate the response.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That was my rifle I had built and yes I requested the tip that way.

The way life should be.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
9.3x62mm any day, my 98 Mauser custom chunks 320gr Woodleigh's at 2400 fps, right now ravenrocksprecision has 325gr Norma Oryx bullets at less than a buck apiece, 150 dollae order gets free shipping, you cant beat that with a stick for your purpose, if i didn't have several hundred of the Woodleigh's both round nose and protected point as well as 320gr solids i'd buy a lot of the 325gr Oryx and call it more than good.

I'd use any soft point bullet i mentioned on any animal including cape buffalo, and the 320gr solids on Ele, Rhino and Hippo head shots.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a 375-06 AI and it failed to provide any advantage over either a 9.3-62 or 375 H&H. It took some effort to form cases. The only worse job is making 450 Improved on 404 cases. Pick either and get familiar with it.

I wouldn’t hesitate to built either on a PF action. A 700 or clone with the ADL or BDL magazine is just fine. I have used a blind magazine type stock for about all of my international hunting with zero problems. Several very experienced elephant guides really like their rifles which are 700’s. The M70 PF is great as is a Mark 5.

If you are nervous about a 700 feeding then use a straight line clip such as H&S makes. Flawless.

There is a lot pure BS written about hunting as a form of combat. The need for 4 shot magazines is just one example. If true then explain why the double is considered life insurance when DG hunting.

Shoot whatever until you have mastered it and don’t worry. Pick great bullets.

This isn’t based on conjecture. Have owned many the most carefully crafted 98’s ever built and have hunted Africa on more than 20 trips. Have gotten 17 buffalo without a single incident.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow gunner,
Good find there. Heck of a deal. The 325 grain oryx, is the most deadly bullet ever offered in the 9.3. My friend Greg showed a 325 grainer expanded to.83 caliber with 96% weight retention, insane!:

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 01/05/24.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn! hell of a video Mainer, Thanks, nothings going to walk off a hit from a 325gr Oryx bullet, am always glad to learn the choices i make/made are verified by guys like yourself and North61 who live in those places and have done that, over and over again.

Funny, i just placed an order for some 358 cal 250gr Oryx bullets with RRP a couple three days ago, i have Alberta moose and whitetail on my mind, bud said be prepared to shoot 300 yards, cant think either buck deer or moose wont be handled promptly from a solid vital hit from my 358 Norma mag and 250gr Oryx's at 2800 fps.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.