Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ryan852 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Can anyone recommend a rifle that would be good out to about 500 yards?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hunting, competition, or other?? Just about anything will get you to 500 yards. That is not very far.

AR10???:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6.5 creedmoor^^^ 10 shots into sub moa is easy. That's at a minimum. Just sayin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Are you looking for a manufacturer and/or caliber? Do you know what energy level you need at 500yds?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Not much info on your part....what`s the application? or what do you want to do with it?

Starting with a .22 centerfire most anything now days will get you there.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
You can't go wrong with a .308 Winchester for calibre. Recoil is mild, ammunition is pretty universal, factory ammo is available in a multitude of bullet weight and construction. Most rifles are a good carry weight for stalking/walking. Calibre/bullet selection will take down anything in North America, except maybe Polar bears. Good starter calbre.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ryan852
Can anyone recommend a rifle that would be good out to about 500 yards?

We really need more information, to do a better job of enabling you! grin

Target/fun or hunting?

If hunting, what size game are you considering?

500 yards is easy given good conditions.
Even 15-18"" barrels do pretty good...

500 yards
First time drop confirmation with 22 GT

500 yards
6.5x47 Lapua

Little 14" Pachmayr Dominator in 25 Creed at 500 yards (1911 Frame)

645 yards: A different 6.5x47 Lapua

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A long time ago, I used to shoot 500 steel plates at our camp with my plain ole Win 70 in 30-06, long before social media and the popularity of long range shooting. With the know distance and solid rest, I could hit a pie plate steel target 3 0f 4 times. These days, that's just warming up for most serious shooters.

When it comes to hunting, even with range finders, field conditions can make long shots very difficult, I prefer my shots closer the better when ever possible and I have some very modern and accurate rifles. Long distance success takes lots of practice to make ethical shots on game, not everyone has the time but more so the place to stretch out to 500 plus.

Any good rifle should do the trick, people seem to like Tikkas for out of the box accuracy as far as hunting rifles go (those you can actually carry and point with some success).

Good luck with your choices.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
ruggers is good

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Tikka

That is the easy button^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just about any modern cartridge firing pointed bullets in most factory rifles will do what you want. The easiest route is a Tikka T3 in either 308 or 6.5CM.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 257Bob
A long time ago, I used to shoot 500 steel plates at our camp with my plain ole Win 70 in 30-06, long before social media and the popularity of long range shooting. With the know distance and solid rest, I could hit a pie plate steel target 3 0f 4 times. These days, that's just warming up for most serious shooters.

When it comes to hunting, even with range finders, field conditions can make long shots very difficult, I prefer my shots closer the better when ever possible and I have some very modern and accurate rifles. Long distance success takes lots of practice to make ethical shots on game, not everyone has the time but more so the place to stretch out to 500 plus.

Any good rifle should do the trick, people seem to like Tikkas for out of the box accuracy as far as hunting rifles go (those you can actually carry and point with some success).

Im just guessing the camp is someplace other than Florida Bob?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yobuck

Im just guessing the camp is someplace other than Florida Bob?
youbuck, you'd be correct, GA!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently spent a bunch of money (at least to me) building a couple of rifles, the idea was that I wanted to be able to hunt with them (deer) and shoot them often without having to handload with affordable and available ammo, my chambering choices were 308 and 6.5 CM.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those cartridges are the easy buttons.

Even so, I don't believe we know what the OP wants to do out to 500 yards.

Last edited by mathman; 08/03/23. Reason: added text
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Carefull now, you for sure dont want to be getting hurt from the recoil from some of those mentioned. lol
Where im from, we train the young boys to Pi- s 500 yards. lol

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Grab a 270 and kill it. You'll shoot flat for 250 so you've got half of it covered. Recoil is nothing, you have speed, bullet weight, and you can grab ammo anywhere. When you do have to pop something at 500, stick it about 3 to 4 feet high and let it drop in there. Shoot it a little and you'll get used to your rifle and reticle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my son a Tikka T3 Stainless Ultralight in 270 Winchester. WE used a Burris FF2 with the ballistic plex reticle and busnell 1000 yard laser range finder.

Sighted in 130 grain factory ammo at 250 yards. Anything out to 500 yards is easy peasy. He killed a bull elk with it when he was 14 years old at nearly 400 yards.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I bought my son a Tikka T3 Stainless Ultralight in 270 Winchester. WE used a Burris FF2 with the ballistic plex reticle and busnell 1000 yard laser range finder.

Sighted in 130 grain factory ammo at 250 yards. Anything out to 500 yards is easy peasy. He killed a bull elk with it when he was 14 years old at nearly 400 yards.

This guy gets it. Now, when you start going past 500 and out to a grand, that's when stuff gets hairy in my experience.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I recently spent a bunch of money (at least to me) building a couple of rifles, the idea was that I wanted to be able to hunt with them (deer) and shoot them often without having to handload with affordable and available ammo, my chambering choices were 308 and 6.5 CM.

No need to spend a "bunch" of money for getting out to 500 yards. That's not a very far shot.

Originally Posted by mathman
Those cartridges are the easy buttons.

Even so, I don't believe we know what the OP wants to do out to 500 yards.

He's been asked a few times, but no response. I think he's left the building.

Originally Posted by ruraldoc

That is one of the simplest, yet most effective and budget friendly option out there. Exactly what I'd do and have done with multiple rifles. Been doing it for years in fact.^^

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.