Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Hilarious...Thanks so much for posting this!

GB1

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
the rifle i will be taking is a common Winchester model 70 with the claw s.s. that has a a better trigger , brown precision stock that is glass bedded and barrel is floated , steel picatinny scope mnts., now some may not like this scope but i have used this brand and size scope for over 10 years on my deer rifle ,elk rifle , antelope and coyote hunting = 5.5-22 x56 30 tube Nightforce scope the glass is clearer than most other glass in scopes . i also don`t like the groups this rifle shoots with either 165 gr. or 180 gr. Nosler Partitions so far , but this rifle really likes 160 gr. Hammer Hunters shoots 1/2 - 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. the nice thing about Hammer bullets is Hammer always have them in stock, for few bucks more the cost for Hammer bullets is not going to make a difference on a $15,000.00 plains game hunt if i do use Hammer bullets ? i am shooting this rifle plenty having my own 100 yard range and as a club member i can shoot 200 & 300 yards 15 miles from my house anytime i want too and will . > i do like and hopefully get more guys experiences with shooting and African hunts it all will help in some way , i am just your normal north American type hunter who shoots a lot. thank you much ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have no clue what a Hammer Hunter is, but I know accubonds and partitions are never a bad choice. IMHO you are way over-scoped. Hope you have a great hunt.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pete53
the rifle i will be taking is a common Winchester model 70 with the claw s.s. that has a a better trigger , brown precision stock that is glass bedded and barrel is floated , steel picatinny scope mnts., now some may not like this scope but i have used this brand and size scope for over 10 years on my deer rifle ,elk rifle , antelope and coyote hunting = 5.5-22 x56 30 tube Nightforce scope the glass is clearer than most other glass in scopes . i also don`t like the groups this rifle shoots with either 165 gr. or 180 gr. Nosler Partitions so far , but this rifle really likes 160 gr. Hammer Hunters shoots 1/2 - 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. the nice thing about Hammer bullets is Hammer always have them in stock, for few bucks more the cost for Hammer bullets is not going to make a difference on a $15,000.00 plains game hunt if i do use Hammer bullets ? i am shooting this rifle plenty having my own 100 yard range and as a club member i can shoot 200 & 300 yards 15 miles from my house anytime i want too and will . > i do like and hopefully get more guys experiences with shooting and African hunts it all will help in some way , i am just your normal north American type hunter who shoots a lot. thank you much ,Pete53

Well the 30-06 was just fine for Theodore Roosevelt a rather long time ago, Hemmingway too and Ruark as well. Many of us rely on that fine cartridge. I'll likely never get to Africa, but if I was going, I'd take my 30-06.

Best of luck, and have fun!

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Peter Capstick was a fan and more recently Craig Boddington. It’s a git er done cartridge and owes neither an explanation nor an apology to anyone.

The way life should be.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phil Shoemaker's short but pithy comment on the effectiveness of the 30 Govt 06 is worth remembering. Particularly in Alaska-and the rest of the world.
With modern bullets, it comes into its own.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Over 20 years ago I took a Remington 700 30-06 with a 3-9x variable to South Africa on a cull hunt--which also allowed taking trophies for an extra fee. Will admit that many "gun writers" tend to have an agenda for any hunt--and I did, wanting to (hopefully) demonstrate that a plain-vanilla factory .30-06 with a typical 3-9x like many American hunters might use for deer would work. The handload followed the same theme, the 180 Partition at the typical 2700 fps or so.
Among a bunch of culling, I also used the rifle to make one of the longest shots taken in Africa, on a big Cape kudu at "only" about 350 yards (this was a little before reliable LRFs became common, so I used the reticle as an approximate range-finder) at a steep uphill angle.

At the shot the bull instantly collapsed, because the bullet had entered about 1/3 of the way up the chest, then angled upward to break the spine. Found the bullet under the hide, retaining 62% of its weight.

My fellow gun writer and friend Brian Pierce called a few days after I returned about something else, but we talked for quite a while and I eventually old him the story about my chosen "combination". Brian said, "Yep, that's about as plain vanilla you can get!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd have to say a .30-06 will work almost everywhere and for almost any game. I used a .30-06 on my last trip to Africa in Mozambique and it worked great, essentially all one shot kills on a variety of animals. The .30-06 has always done the job as long as I did mine.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Isn’t it interesting that the 06 was designed to kill small men who stood about 5’6” and weighed 140lbs? Honestly it must have been a devastating combat arm when used.

The way life should be.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Actually it was designed to compete with the 7x57 Mauser and the 8x57JS. Also, one benefit desired of an effective combat round is the ability to shoot through barriers/cover/trees, etc. The BAR was always loaded with Armor Piercers, the M60 7.62 was used this way to an extant. Suppressing fire keeps their heads down. Always a good thing to shoot through 4-5 "in line" enemy to either kill or wound, with one bullet.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I know why it was designed. The point is it must have been devastating on soldiers.

The way life should be.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It really paid off in Korea or anytime when the enemy is all bundled up for cold weather. I'm with you on the "devastation" part! ha

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This thread is endless. It deals with the most obvious conclusion.
Captain Obvious gets a promotion to Major.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RinB

there has been some very helpful and positive posts and i thank all that have left some great posts ! > RinB you are negative and not a moderator just stay off this site you own nothing on here little man. just go away !! Pete53

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Post of the week right there. Well said.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Pete 53
Why have you concluded that I am talking about you?
Didn’t mention your name.

Am tempted to join SKane…WWP53D

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Yep. An obviously dead horse that has been turned to mincemeat…

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The lying Covtard dollar never disappoints.........what a freaking coward and fraud. The only thing turned to mincemeat is your freaking brain apparently. How many boosters you up to now.....10 or so?

Originally Posted by jdollar
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Yep. An obviously dead horse that has been turned to mincemeat…

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

You can’t fix stupid.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pete 53
Why have you concluded that I am talking about you?
Didn’t mention your name.

Am tempted to join SKane…WWP53D

so i guess all sites have that percentage of negative butt heads ,do you need a trophy to go with the title too ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/02/24.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have no clue what a Hammer Hunter is, but I know accubonds and partitions are never a bad choice. IMHO you are way over-scoped. Hope you have a great hunt.

https://hammerbullets.com/hammer-hunter/

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.