Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Remington92
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ronnie did it BEST and by miles. S/S through and through,(5) 8x40's on top,RPM on the money and throated exceptionally to boot. Hint...........

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I don't know who Ronnie is and I've never seen the Wilson guns, but of what I've owned, the Barrett Fieldcrafts were the best of that series so far. Barrets had a few design updates that were improvements over the NULA and accuracy and quality that equaled or exceeded the earlier guns. Unfortunately, they've all been hindered by a really tough stock design. I've had ULAs, NULAs, Fieldcrafts and Colts and they all shot great, but with that stock, they all punched about 3-4 cartridges above their weight class. The dozen or so people that shot mine over the years all responded with !?@! that thing kicks hard immediately after the first shot, which tells me that I'm not the only one that feels that way.

From the pictures, the Wilson appears to have that same stock. I don't own a single one now and don't miss any of them.

One day I’d love to have someone explain the science of biomechanics and ergonomics in regards to stock fit and design/ felt recoil. My Colts in getting the NULA style treatment but my experience last fall with the factory stock (cheap plastic but very similar in shape from what I understand?) was the exact opposite. I couldn’t believe how pleasant the 7mm Rem mag recoil with the hard rubber pad was compared to my old 700bdl 7mm Rem mag with a Limbsaver was. Not that either are bad I just expected more from the Colt being a pound lighter. Not meaning to contradict your experience just a genuine curiosity.

Not sure of the science and I'm genuinely glad you like them because many say they do on here. I'm in no way doubting your experience. I've just yet to run into the person in real life that doesn't comment on the recoil. I always found Kimbers to be really light in recoil for me but my .30-06 NULA was as bad or worse than my similar weight .375 H&H in a Bansner.

Doesn’t surprise me just intriguing. I see the same thing in shotguns. I personally love the way old Winchester 97s fit and shoot but most the time if a buddy shoots one of mine you’d think I handed them an elephant gun from their reaction. I will say my boat paddle m77 in 243 is a mule kicking bastard for what it is.

Either different strokes for different folks. I’d love to add a few more colts or Nula style rifles to the herd when budgets allow.

They're good rifles if they work for you. Personally, I would go Barrett and then ULA/NULA if looking. I had a couple of NULAs that shot OK and several that were spectacular. I had an ULA .270 that may have been the most accurate rifle I ever owned but it did recoil hard for me. All the Barretts I had shot really well. Plus, I liked the bolt stop better than the NULA. If you work a NULA hard from the shoulder, occasionally the bolt will fly out the back of the receiver and you will then have to replace the spring that holds the bolt stop. I came up on on Mausers so can be a little rough working the bolt and have broken 5-6 bolt-stop springs on NULAs.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/07/23.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
.... Plus, I liked the bolt stop better than the NULA. If you work a NULA hard from the shoulder, occasionally the bolt will fly out the back of the receiver and you will then have to replace the spring that holds the bolt stop. I came up on on Mausers so can be a little rough working the bolt and have broken 5-6 bolt-stop springs on NULAs.

Ouch! I work a bolt pretty good but I guess I'm swinging a finishing hammer and you're on a sledge!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I knew Wilson wouldn’t be able to resist trying to make something of their own. Glad I got my Melvin right at the end before the change happened.

I’m sure some tactinerds will go crazy for them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am just not reading what my Kimber's deliver that they do better. Another 'fire cult?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EdM
I am just not reading what my Kimber's deliver that they do better. Another 'fire cult?

On the short actions, the 3" mag box can be very beneficial if you load your own in a FC, NULA, or Wilson. You just can't get that with a Montana.

For Fieldcrafts, you've got a barrel twist that gives you a lot of freedom in bullet choices. Montana's (at least previously), not so much. NULA's were made as you wished. Wilson's are limited on twist.

I've had to correct a Montana firing pin issue that would have been very irksome in the field since I wasn't aware of it. Luckily it was on the range.

I've had to correct barreled action alignment in a Montana. Fieldcrafts have been perfectly full length bedded. NULA's were as well. I can't speak to Wilson's but I'm guessing they are individually bedded to the action.

I like and use Montana's, but the Fieldcraft and NULA's have some plus's you just can't get with a Montana.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And those plus's aren't really needed...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by EdM

On the short actions, the 3" mag box can be very beneficial if you load your own in a FC, NULA, or Wilson. You just can't get that with a Montana.

For Fieldcrafts, you've got a barrel twist that gives you a lot of freedom in bullet choices. Montana's (at least previously), not so much. NULA's were made as you wished. Wilson's are limited on twist.

I've had to correct a Montana firing pin issue that would have been very irksome in the field since I wasn't aware of it. Luckily it was on the range.

I've had to correct barreled action alignment in a Montana. Fieldcrafts have been perfectly full length bedded. NULA's were as well. I can't speak to Wilson's but I'm guessing they are individually bedded to the action.

I like and use Montana's, but the Fieldcraft and NULA's have some plus's you just can't get with a Montana.

At a price but I understand. My 270 Montana and 30-06 Subalpine both shoot well with the "checks" being made and sorted. Minor stuff.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have 2 NULA’s and my oldest son has 1, I’m glad we got them when we did.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by LBP

March two years ago I walked into my LGS (small town) and spotted a different looking 22 RF bolt gun. I asked to take a peak and it was a mint NULA. It had a Leupold VX2 3-9X EFR AO rimfire scope on it in Talley LW's. It was a consignment gun that was offered for $1800. It came home in a roundabout way... I have had it out a few times but still playing with ammunition. Looks promising at 50 yards. Sweet little rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by EdM

On the flip side, Kimbers have some pluses not available for Fieldcraps and NULAs. Higher stock combs, more amibi friendly, lower scope mounts options, safeties that work the way they're supposed to (this is compared to ULA/NULA), lighter bolt throw. Also, Kimber customer service can be a little iffy, but they've been a consistent singular company for the last couple decades for parts and service. NULA (and the whole ULA Colt deal)/Barrett/Outkast, in comparison. Also, Outkast seems to use glossy paint on their stocks, which is certainly a choice.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Doesn’t surprise me just intriguing. I see the same thing in shotguns. I personally love the way old Winchester 97s fit and shoot but most the time if a buddy shoots one of mine you’d think I handed them an elephant gun from their reaction. I will say my boat paddle m77 in 243 is a mule kicking bastard for what it is.

Boat-Paddle 77’s have a very narrow contact-patch, it’s not very tall either so the recoil gets pretty focused to a small spot.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by LBP

LBP,
If ya had to choose only one.

NULA or Rifles Inc,Strata?

Last edited by hitman; 08/12/23.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by LBP

March two years ago I walked into my LGS (small town) and spotted a different looking 22 RF bolt gun. I asked to take a peak and it was a mint NULA. It had a Leupold VX2 3-9X EFR AO rimfire scope on it in Talley LW's. It was a consignment gun that was offered for $1800. It came home in a roundabout way... I have had it out a few times but still playing with ammunition. Looks promising at 50 yards. Sweet little rifle.

Ed,

If ya get a chance try some SK Long Range Match in the Nula.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hitman
Originally Posted by LBP

LBP,
If ya had to choose only one.

NULA or Rifles Inc,Strata?
Man that’s a tough question. I would say NULA if Melvin was still younger and running the company. Custom in every way and excellent parts and service.

Currently Rifle Inc. hands down. Uses a Remington 700 which is a great thing for parts availability, also custom in every way.

In all honesty my Strata is more accurate than my NULAs and has some things I prefer like no cheek piece on the stock.

Both are great rifles but if I was ordering today Rifles Inc. hands down. Just remembered if it matters the Wilson NULAs are not available left handed.

Edited to say I’ve heard some folks say Lex Webernick is hard to work with, that was not my experience. He is also the only custom rifle builder I’ve ever dealt with that delivered my rifle ahead of deadline.

Last edited by LBP; 08/12/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Offerings right now:
step up .022" and you have:
6.5 cm
step up + .020" and you get:
7MM-08
step up another +.024" and arrive at:
The next offering is a full .050" larger, the 350 winchester.
There is an obvious choice for the missing gap, Mr Wilson: The 338 Federal

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Got an lefty ULA and a Kimber Montana. Haven't had the opportunity to see advantages one over the other. Just wish there was more things to hunt locally, wish there were hogs around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
Offerings right now:
6.5 cm
7MM-08
What is a 350 Winchester?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by moosemike
Offerings right now:
6.5 cm
7MM-08

Perhaps the Legend?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I didn’t realize the Legend was that popular.

Their website says 358 Winchester anyway.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by moosemike
Offerings right now:
6.5 cm
7MM-08
Like all the the current wilson/nula offerings except the creedmoor, it's just a bastard of the 308. Oh, I see what you did. My mistake, the 358 Winchester

Last edited by Quickbeam; 09/29/23.
Page 3 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,415
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.