Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I hunted near Oxfordshire England from August 1 through the 4th. The hunt was organized by Mike Taylor Sporting and I was guided by a local fellow Dave Hawley. Mike did a fantastic job on organizing the hunt for me. My girlfriend and I had toured London for 5 days prior to the hunt. Mike organized a car to pick us up at our hotel in London and transfer us to the Inn at Emmington for the hunt portion of my trip and then from the Inn back to Heathrow for our flight out. The car was a luxury Mercedes, and the driver wore a suit and ties. First class transport. Mick also set up our lodging and a loaner rifle.

Dave let me use his personal rifle, A Schultz and Larson in 6.5x55 loaded with his handloads. The rifle was scoped with a Swarovski fixed 8 power. The rifle was beautiful, and I hated to have had to carry for 3 rainy days during our hunt. I took the first cull buck on the first morning. Dave called the buck up to about 80 yards and I center punched the onside should when the buck turned. The second buck was taken that same day in the evening and nearly ran up into our laps. The third buck presented us with a great stalk while he was occupied with a doe. The first shot was about 200 yards. I hit the buck above the spine, and he collapsed, but recovered and required a second finisher which went through his ears as I tried for a head shot. The third shot finished the buck with a proper shoulder shot. I was not proud of my shooting, but happy to have taken a good representative buck.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by PWN; 08/05/23.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congratulations, Beautiful deer,
Love that third one,,

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
England is a unique hunt. Very different than the American model of wildlife management. It works though…..critters are everywhere.
I really enjoyed my time there.

No muntjac for you?

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Beautiful bucks

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Excellent!!! Grand animals. Thanks for sharing.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

I want to go to the British Isles for roe deer and red stag. I think that means a September hhnt?

My other dream hunt is for rusa deer on New Caledonia.

https://hunttaiga.com/tours/new-caledonia-javan-rusa-deer/

Last edited by AB2506; 08/09/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations on a great hunt. I love hunting roe deer. Never did it in England however.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful Bucks! Congrats!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you don’t mind me asking, how many pounds did you lose on/for that hunt?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’ve heard the 5,6x52R and 6,5x52R (.22 Savage Hi-power and .25-35 WCF in America) are still quite popular in Europe for Roe deer.

Super cool! I would love to make this hunt one day!

IC B3

P
PWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Stammster

I don't think I lost any on the hunt and didn't lose any prior to the hunt. I held the 190 pounds I have managed to pile on my 60+ year old frame.

Thanks for kind words from the members of the forum. The hunt was fun and took place on some beautiful English farms. It was a spot and stalk hunt which is one of my favorite ways to hunt if the terrain allows. The bucks were all killed on the edges of wheat fields.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PWN
Originally Posted by Stammster

I don't think I lost any on the hunt and didn't lose any prior to the hunt. I held the 190 pounds I have managed to pile on my 60+ year old frame.

Thanks for kind words from the members of the forum. The hunt was fun and took place on some beautiful English farms. It was a spot and stalk hunt which is one of my favorite ways to hunt if the terrain allows. The bucks were all killed on the edges of wheat fields.

How many British Pounds did it set you back, not weight pounds?

P
PWN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Text and type fails to convey humor.

The hunt cost $5000ish US depending on the exchange rate all in for up to 5 Roebuck with 2 being trophies, all permits, 5 nights lodging in a local hotel/B&B which includes breakfast each day and transport from the airport to lodging and back to the airport. Plus, rental of a rifle if you don't take your own.

The prime time of the hunt expect rain and the hunts take place very early in the mornings and late in the evenings. The temperature is mild late July or early August. Flat terrain and easy walking. Most shots are taken inside 100 yards from those weird shooting sticks Brits prefer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very neat! Thanks for sharing and it's certainly a hunt that is on my list. Combining it with a trip to London sounds like a plan.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pugs, Mr. PWN (obviously) had a solid hunt and I am sure would recommend the outfit he used.

If you’d like options, PM me. I did a similar hunt but it was structured differently. More animal species, but fewer of each species, and lodging was separate, etc. the price overall seemed along the same lines.

My hunt was as stellar as his and I would absolutely recommend the outfit I went through, too. My guy picked me up in London so I got to see the city on my own but I also didn’t have to deal with driving in the left lane, etc. to get to the hunting grounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman is right. Driving on the left side, especially in heavy traffic, or around traffic circles, is very stressful. Out in the country, not so bad, but it takes a while to get used to it. Everything is opposite to what a North American is used to. I rented a car the first time we went to South Africa. Drove the 80 minutes to the hotel and parked it. Drove it back to the airport. Waste of money and time. Never again have I rented a car. I have someone drive me. I have driven in a farm setting, but that's it. Perhaps if I had been alone, I would have been fine, but with the wife's nervous antics, I was throughly stressed out.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gentlemen, answer this if you can. Say I wanted to do a hunt like this and take my own rifle. After the hunt I want to spend a few days sightseeing, where do I store my rifle during this time? Thanks

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
You'd have to arrange with a firearms dealer to store the rifle prior, I believe. Try asking at https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/, these guys are very friendly.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks I’ll check out the site and ask there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.