Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Matters of honesty aside, at 600 yards and under it does not matter. You’ve got plenty of speed and BC any way you turn. If your load is accurate, turrets true, and dope good, the rest is just clicks on a dial. Any reasonable BC is fine.

Nosler ABs and NPs can’t be relied on due to availability. Probably same with ABLRs.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm sold on the Bergers for longer-distance hunting. Been working up a load for the .277 140 grain Classic Hunter with a b.c. of .528. Very accurate, jump tolerant, fast. In other configurations they have had excellent terminal performance on game for me. They will do me until my 10 twist is replaced by an 8 twist. And then, the 140 grain SB-2 with a .650 B.C, unless something better comes on the market.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/12/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
150 Nuzzler has an Imaginary BC billing,that's not even close. Doubly so in 10" RPM. Hint.

Will just leave this right here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

...the .270 caliber 150 grain LRAB fired from a 1:10" twist 270 Winchester
only produced an SG (stability factor) of 1.19 under the conditions of the test.

This low stability resulted in a G7 BC of 0.278, which is 12% below the advertised value of .317.
Note that groups were good at this stability level. However, in order to achieve the highest BC,
you need to generate a stability factor of at least 1.5*.

Retesting the bullet in a 1:7" twist 270 Winchester produced an SG of 2.31,
and a BC that's 4% higher (0.291).

GR

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just wonder about the .308 180 Nosler Accubond's claimed .507 G1. Probably excessive too. Am thinking of using them, but not if their real b.c. is well below .500.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 08/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I just wonder about the .308 180 Nosler Accubond's claimed .507 G1. Probably excessive too. Am thinking of using them, but not if their real b.c. is well below .500.
the standard .284 160 accubond has a published BC of .531, however launched at 3575 fps from my 9 twist lilja barrel, I have to run the BC in my program at .62 in order for my chart to match my actual trajectory. velocity has a lot to do with your actual BC.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
velocity has a lot to do with your actual BC.

Sierra lists up to 3 BC's for a given bullet based on speed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
velocity has a lot to do with your actual BC.

Sierra lists up to 3 BC's for a given bullet based on speed.
And Hornady is starting to do that too. And I also tend to trust Berger. It would be good if the other bullet manufacturers were a bit more transparent in how they arrive at their b.c.'s. I really think some of the bullet manufacturers know that their b.c's are inflated, but they figure that they get more sales with the inflated figures. But for me, they lose credibility if I find their b.c's are inflated, and I deliberately try to buy from a more reputable (in terms of their b.c figures) bullet manufacturer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would trust the ablr more on tough shots. They do expand more rapidly due to soft nose than normal accubond but are bonded and have thick solid base jacket. The eldx is simply a ballistic tip/sst with even more thin nose like the ablr but not bonding to keep it together. However they are generally heavy for cal so that should help. Any case I have been shooting pigs this summer with 165 ablr out of 6.8W and have been impressed. Big wounds and pass thru.

As for BC, Nosler had their BC tested with doppler and are lower than unitial. Litz calculation on SG do not account for plastic tip which he does not agree with. I don’t know if because of some “not invented here” sour grapes or not but makes sense to me that center of gravity changes with bullet construction. A model that works with a otm/super thin jacket bullet like berger will not be same as model for a thicket jacket hunting bullet so relying on SG from that calculator as gospel is naive. Hornady said they use computer modeling to validate the center of gravity/stability for their bullets and change jacket/cores accordingly on a pod cast probably tiring of internet expert twist calculator jockeys saying need more twist than what they recommend

Lou

Last edited by Lou_270; 08/13/23.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot both in a 1:10 270 and went with 145gr ELD-X. Shoots great out to 600 yards. Have not shot much past that.

The deer/antelope that I have shot with that bullet leads me to believe it is a rapidly expanding bullet with a lot of tissue damage/waste.

The ABLR may be better in my 1:8 270, but went with the Barnes 155gr LRX.

Have not had time to shoot the 155gr at distance. Hopefully in the next couple weeks. Positive it will perform just fine and kill stuff.

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Years ago this forum's focus was on how to gain an extra 53fps and to use molly coated bullets or nothing. It seems in today's long range trend, which I am not bashing, are we asking the correct question(s) regarding hunting bullets? Are B.C. and twist rate really the top priorities? You be the judge.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dubiedog
Years ago this forum's focus was on how to gain an extra 53fps and to use molly coated bullets or nothing. It seems in today's long range trend, which I am not bashing, are we asking the correct question(s) regarding hunting bullets? Are B.C. and twist rate really the top priorities? You be the judge.

You may want to look at the name of the forum you’re posting on

Duh.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

You may want to look at the name of the forum you’re posting on

Duh.

Oh, I’m fully aware that it says hunting, Stick Jr.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

No that’s a legitimate question. I for one, do not think that b.c. trumps everything else any more than muzzle velocity etc. It’s a part of the equation for sure and once one shoots in excess of traditional hunting distances (300+ yards arguably) things like b.c. begin to matter more but are not everything, at least not to me.

Shot placement and proper bullet performance share an equal importance when it comes to killing game animals.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.