Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m looking for an aluminum bass boat for my son and myself. He’s 13 and I’m betting he wants to join the fishing team when he hits 9th grade. We do t have a boat anymore so I’m looking for a used aluminum boat so it can be beached during scout campouts, used for the family, bumped and dumped a little bit. I don’t need really fancy, but reliable and stable. I’ve found a few from Lowe, Xpress, and a few others. Anything I should watch or look out for? Tips? Better ideas?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMO- If I ever decide to spend the money for
another quality aluminum boat again, it'll be
from one of the boat builders in Louisiana
like Hankos or one of those places.
They'll build it right, and most of them will
make any kind of custom modifications you
ask for

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ranger99
JMO- If I ever decide to spend the money for
another quality aluminum boat again, it'll be
from one of the boat builders in Louisiana
like Hankos or one of those places.
They'll build it right, and most of them will
make any kind of custom modifications you
ask for

This. Other reputable companies like Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner etc make Those types. The bottom skin thickness is a biggy to me. My river guide boats are Alumacraft welded models, the lake boats are Lunds.
Be sure to keep your transom height in mind with motor #haft length if you buy pieces separately.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lowe or Express would be good for what you wanting, you should be able to locate a good used one to save some money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An 18'-19' foot bass boat style hull aluminum boat with 115-150 hp motor will fish comfortably and ride dry in semi rough water. Ranger, Xpress, Vexus, Tracker, Crestliner... there are lots of options.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ll 100% be buying a used one. My plan is to keep it at $10K or under unless I find a steal of a deal on something. I’m not turning a kid loose to learn how to drive a boat on a new one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a Gregor and really liked it. It was welded so very strong

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ranger VS1782 SC and it has a .125 welded hull. Very good in rough water and the Merc 115 Pro XS pushes it at 45 MPH plus.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 08/18/23.

living the good life every day
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run an 18' crestliner here in SE AK and I have beat the crap out of it. Its been a solid boat and I love it.

Getting beers off the mail boat in 3-4 waves right off his wake is sporty! Been there done that but we had to have our beverages. smile

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would say as the OP is looking for a pretty economical used boat. Rather than brand to look for it might be better to have a list of things to carefully inspect when looking at a boat so he doesn't buy a boat and then get hit with a couple of pricey repairs/upgrades. Probably want to include the trailer too.

Aluminum boats aren't my thing but I would do at least the following..

Inspect the hull carefully for repairs, welds or sealed leaking rivets, check for cracks. Inspect the transom for rot, inspect the floors for softness. Check each piece of electrical gear for function, look at the wiring make sure its in good shape and hasn't been butchered. ideally you want to have the inside of the hull dry and and have the boat put into the water and then make sure its still dry after a bit..no rivet leaks.

as for the engine compression test and check it pumps water, runs ok etc.

Trailer make sure it has some maintainable hubs like bearing buddies or the ones you can pump grease though. Trailer it a bit make sure they don't get hot. Check the lights, check the tires to make sure they are correct and bot cracked.

any aluminum bass boat guys have stuff to add to the list?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To add to the above, make sure the live well system is squared away. Fouled-up live wells can be a pain in the rear to sort out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a Crestliner made by Lowe, I like it[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Aluminum boats aren't bad to repair. I had a rotten transom on my last boat guy Opened it up. Pulled the wood out. Filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it up. Had a crack in the front and some loose rivets . That he welded up. Charged me 200. The Motor is the expensive part especially 4 strokes.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I wish you lived closer to WA. My nephew is going to sell his 2016 Lund Fury XL 1625 for $12k. It’s got a deep V hull but a wide chine, so it does well in bumpy water while being really stable. Casting deck, Minn Kota terrova with i-pilot, Lowrance sonar, Mercury 40hp, galvanized trailer. Hell of a package. He just wants the money to roll into a tournament rig.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Love the fact we have a youngster interested in boating and fishing

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an over 20 year old 14 foot Lund WC-14 that I use as a portage boat in Ontario. It has been drug over boulders countless times and looks like it. And yet I can tie that boat to my dock and leave it over night and when I come out the next morning there is not a drop of water inside it. So my vote would be to get a Lund. Here's one in Texas that looks in good condition and meets your price point.

Click Here

Last edited by walt501; 09/16/23.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The welded Gregor 13'6" is in a class by itself.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know these aren't considered great boats by some but over the past 30 years I've had several different size Trackers. The only one I had a problem with I bought used cheap. It had a leak in the hull that I fixed with JB Weld right after I got it, used it for three or four more years and sold it for more than I paid for it. I've got a 17 ft 40 hp model now that I bought new in 2013. It gets fished about twice a month March through November; had it's share of contact with rocks and stumps. no leaks and it's always worked perfect. For my use, bass fishing or trolling for trout on smaller lakes and resevoirs, they've been worth the money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son-in-law has a Tracker that is a darned good boat. It rides dry, handles some rough water well, and fishes comfortably. No leaks and everything works like it is supposed to. It is a stable boat, he is 6' 4" and about 260 lbs. and I am 5' 10" and 185 lbs and we can walk around on the decks, lean over to grab a fish, and do what fishermen do in a boat and it doesn't lean or tip and is completely stable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of boats out there. Where do you plan to store it? How big of boat are you looking for? What do you plan to tow it with?

I'd watch craiglist and this site: https://www.boattrader.com/

This guy has some good advice -- especially about the title!

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (1minute, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 26 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,087
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.