Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18648919 08/07/23
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
At what range does rifle cant really start to cause issues?

Was at a Highpower shoot this weekend and noticed that in the standing position - quite a few shooters end up with quite the rifle cant to their left as they line up on the target. Wondering if the yardage is such that it just doesn't come into play?

Me

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It also doesn't matter if it's accounted for.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Teal

Was at a Highpower shoot this weekend and noticed that in the standing position - quite a few shooters end up with quite the rifle cant to their left as they line up on the target. Wondering if the yardage is such that it just doesn't come into play?
In High Power, most riflemen keep a scorebook. In each section or shooting position, offhand sitting and prone, their zero is recorded, many shooters may have a different zero for each position. As some examples, offhand no sling is used and maybe some cant...likely a different poi from rapid sitting...both shot at the 200 yd line but the sling is used...they will likely have a different zero. So, since you have a different zero for each stage, cant makes no difference as long as it is uniform and you have established a zero to compensate. In my case, for instance, you would look at my scorebook and see that I have clicked on 1R windage for offhand...but rapid sitting I will click 2R for my zero because of the poi change to the sling tension and an elevation change of 1D because (maybe?) of bone to bone contact on my elbow/knee joints. So cant means nothing after you know its impact on poi and compensate for it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I corrected for that with a small level glued to the base of my front sight, and hours of dry fire, in the winter, and shooting small bore postal league. Learned a lot, like how important follow through and cant was in offhand, as related to sight/bullet/bore dwell time. Bolt guns, ofcourse..

Last edited by CGPAUL; 08/07/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought I was extremely capable of staying level until I purchased a Sharps that came with a level on the front sight. Boy was I wrong.

Withour sight adjustments, cant is simply a linear function of distance.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/07/23.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cant matters. Just how much depends on what you are willing to accept. It also depends on how far out (of plumb) it is. I generally don't see much if any at 400 yards. Most of the guys I shoot with at competitions use levels, but those shots are out past 600 yards. I generally hold the reticle pretty level, but some guys really struggle. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
No levels for these guys - service rifle shooters.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Per David Tubb:

"a 1° cant will produce five (5) inches of lateral displacement at 1000 yards. Thus, if you cant your rifle just 8°, the POI would move 40″ from the center of the target, putting the shot off the edge of a 72″-wide target."

So, basically 1/2 MOA.

I tend to cant my hunting rifles pretty bad in a CCW direction as looking at target - not sure if it's 1°. Something about getting a good cheek weld does it. Have thought about just putting the scope on with a CW rotation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The actual number is also dependent on the line of sight height over the bore. The POI will be off in the direction of the cant AND lower.

If you can see a cant without a level or a horizontal/ vertical target/background reference of some sort it is much more that 1 degree in my opinion.

Last edited by MikeS; 08/08/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No levels for these guys - service rifle shooters.

The White Oak scope has a specific "can't" reticle so you can be repeatable in your position.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If you sight in at 500 yards or any range with a cant, as long as you shoot with THE SAME CANT, at the same range, you’ll still be on. Change the cant and you get the POI shifts as mentioned above.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by navlav8r
If you sight in at 500 yards or any range with a cant, as long as you shoot with THE SAME CANT, at the same range, you’ll still be on. Change the cant and you get the POI shifts as mentioned above.

The reticle needs To be level, the rifle can be canted. As long as the reticle is level then your adjustments are correct

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

The reticle needs To be level, the rifle can be canted. As long as the reticle is level then your adjustments are correct

Finally the correct answer! In fact if a person finds that there rifle always move slightly right or left when they shoot they can get a shooting position with the rifle that works in a more direct line of attack by setting up the rifle to be canted just a bit. For a right handed shooter putting a slight left can't on the rifle works very well as long as "the reticle" is set up to shoot "Level"

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not quite.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Trystan

Finally the correct answer! In fact if a person finds that there rifle always move slightly right or left when they shoot they can get a shooting position with the rifle that works in a more direct line of attack by setting up the rifle to be canted just a bit. For a right handed shooter putting a slight left can't on the rifle works very well as long as "the reticle" is set up to shoot "Level"

Shooting with a cant has its advantages in comfort and accuracy in different positions which is why it is used by some position shooters. It's disadvantage is the windage zero changes at each distance. No getting around that...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MikeS
Shooting with a cant has its advantages in comfort and accuracy in different positions which is why it is used by some position shooters. It's disadvantage is the windage zero changes at each distance. No getting around that...

That's my "not quite".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was confident you understood.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Not quite.
Yup. The orientation of the reticle makes no difference to this particular issue (albeit, if you are holding over using the reticle, then a level reticle results in consistent windage offset as a function of distance). If the horizontal axis of the bullet's trajectory is not aligned with the LOS, i.e., if the centerline of the bore is not directly underneath the center of the reticle, the windage changes with distance.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by Trystan

Hello Mike, I believe you missed the part where I said......the rifle can be canted "But the scope has to be set level".As long as the scope is level when you pull the trigger you won't get windage change because the reticle is tracking true

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, but even with the level reticle, the windage can only be correct at one distance if there is a cant involved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 38 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.