Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
EdM,
None of mine cause I don't go there.
Some of our company trucks were stripped and my neighbors car was.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The fast lube joints are good at stripping the drain plug

How many have they stripped of yours?

My buddy bought a used BMW X7 a few months ago with about 5k miles on it. Took it to BMW dealership for oil change at 10k miles. They called and said the plug was stripped and wanted $5k to replace the oil pan. Turns out the dealer he bought it from had sent it to one of the quick lube places for the oil change and they stripped it. He ended up having an independent shop tap the threads and put in a bigger plug.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use to do my own, but getting burned getting at the oil filter and the draining drips and clean up were not worth the $24.99 that the local full service place charges to change out the oil, filter and check everything under the hood and tire pressure. I buy the 6 quarts of Castrol synthetic at Walmart and the dealership sends a $15.00 thank you thing every year to buy anything (like oil filters) from them. Just drop the vehicle off and pick it up later.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Originally Posted by EdM

My buddy bought a used BMW X7 a few months ago with about 5k miles on it. Took it to BMW dealership for oil change at 10k miles. They called and said the plug was stripped and wanted $5k to replace the oil pan. Turns out the dealer he bought it from had sent it to one of the quick lube places for the oil change and they stripped it. He ended up having an independent shop tap the threads and put in a bigger plug.

5k for an oil pan....Damn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by EdM

Major repair. All wheel drive, differential bolts to the side of the pan and one axle goes through it. Easier to support the engine and drop the subframe to disassemble it from underneath. Plus the cost of the parts, although $5k is on the high side...........

Last edited by badger; 07/20/23.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by EdM

Major repair. All wheel drive, differential bolts to the side of the pan and one axle goes through it. Easier to support the engine and drop the subframe to disassemble it from underneath. Plus the cost of the parts, although $5k is on the high side...........

Labor will kill you for sure.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My 2 trucks sit high enough for me to crawl under them and do it myself. I can do the oil change faster than I could drive into town and pay someone else to do it. And I know it's done right.

I can't do that with our Ford Explorer. The independent mechanic I use will do it for $10 if I bring the oil and filter. I always give him $20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
THIS.
While I have had good luck with Valvoline, I will never go to Jiffylube again after they cross threaded my drain plug. After that I do my own oil changes at a friends that has a lift. Now I'm the only dumbass I have to worry about.

Last edited by Winchester21; 07/21/23.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting back to changing my own again after quite a long hiatus due to lower back issues.

50-75% of the down time, my changes were at the dealership (i.e. $$$$$). But, the other 25-50% were at (gasp !!) Walmart. I may be the exception......or just lucky...... But I never had a single issue there.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I actually enjoy changing my own. It gives me a chance to look around underneath. If I didn't have a lift to use I might feel a bit different. I'm too old and fat to crawl around on the ground.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a set of those $30 ramps you drive up on, they get even the lowest car to a comfortable height to crawl under. It's far easier, quicker, and cheaper for me to drive my vehicles up on the ramps & change the oil myself, plus I know it's done right instead of letting whatever crackhead they hired this week at the dealership/oil change place do it.

Never has there been such an easy, mundane task that has the potential to do so much damage when done by an idiot.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I got a set of ramps for the wife's Altima when a dealer oil change hit $80 bucks. I always put jack stands under it also. I ain't letting no car fall on me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Recently watched a dealer put conventional oil in when I paid for synthetic. I made them drain it and do it again. Luckily they have video cameras in their lube bay. They argued until I said let's watch the video together.

I didn't want to put the extra miles I do on synthetic when it wasn't actually synthetic. Now I bring in my own mobile 1 and watch the new place put it in.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/10/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Friend changed his own and had receipt’s. Engine let loose and Ford wouldn’t cover the repair.

After going back and forth, they said buy a new Ford and we will make it as easy as possible. He still took a bigger hit than having them do it under warranty.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Recently watched a dealer put conventional oil in when I paid for synthetic. I made them drain it and do it again. Luckily they have video cameras in their lube bay. They argued until I said let's watch the video together.

I didn't want to put the extra miles I do on synthetic when it wasn't actually synthetic. Now I bring in my own mobile 1 and watch the new place put it in.

Bb

I am not surprised at these dealers and their shenanigans. Even if they put in synthetic it would be a cheap synthetic . Yet they expect people to go 10k intervals .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
Friend changed his own and had receipt’s. Engine let loose and Ford wouldn’t cover the repair.

After going back and forth, they said buy a new Ford and we will make it as easy as possible. He still took a bigger hit than having them do it under warranty.

There is no car company that cares as little about their customers as FORD. Engine let loose because it is a POS design not because of maintenance and their engineers could have torn that engine down to see what caused what.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Kinda down in the back, so I bought my oil & filter (the best) & went to jiffy lube & sat so I could watch the work. Went OK on my old Ranger PU. (250,000 miles) I had my wife explorer (now traded) done several times at the Ford dealer. OK, but they use their (semi-synthetic) ?? Now the Explorer is traded away & we have two Subarus with free oil changes & state inspections for life. Now those jokers do try to jiggle me for extra cost services (brake fluid changes & fuel injection cleaning, I just smile & say no !! Well hell, my wife says I DON'T SMILE

"not too grumpy"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Everyone thinks they are getting over on the car dealers. While most of them are living in the big house on the hill. I know three of them, and them losing out on an oil change is the same as most losing out on a cup of homemade coffee.

Was shooting with one today. He mentioned he makes 150K in financing….after he pays the finance manager 100k. And another 100k plus a little on selling warranties. Which doesn’t include car sales and service and warranty work.

You beat them out if an oil change. What a hooooot!!!

Last edited by battue; 08/12/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We needed to buy a car on short notice a few years ago and had to finance part of it. I did my homework and had a credit union lined up for the loan. The dealer trotted out their favorite loan papers at something like 7%. I just told him to give me the papers and I'd be back the next day with my own financing which happened to be 4% at that time. He fiddled with his papers and came out with this 'special deal' at 3%. He wasn't about to let me out the door until the deal was nailed down. His cut of 3% was still better than no cut at all.
It turned out that his 'deal' was through Capital One 360. We have an account and a CD there anyway. They have some of the best paying CD's around.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.