-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You do not need to spend the money on oak dowels, schedule C plastic pipe works just fine. I moved both a 850lb and a 500+ Through my house and to the garage for a move.
Also moved a friends large safe on the same plastic.
Other than moving it around the house I would pay to have it moved to a new location.
I moved one once on a dolly, coming over a step I fell and the safe just about got me. I ended up with a hernia picking it back up

Last edited by 338reddog; 08/18/23.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I moved my 800# safe twice including once up a flight of stairs with just a buddy and an appliance mover. When it had to be moved down the stairs I let the movers handle the job.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pay them boys that know what the hell they are doing. They have battery dollies that raises and lowers safe to safely get it in and out of doors, trailers that raise and lower to the ground.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nealglen37
Best way to move a heavy gun safe to a new house?

There’s heavy gun safes, then there’s heavy gun safes. How heavy?

I moved a heavy lathe into my shop (heavy being relative, in lathe terms it wasn’t super heavy) @ 1700 lbs myself last year. I used long heavy pinch bars from Harbor Freight, and rollers made of steel pipe, to move it across my concrete shop floor. Obviously I wasn’t real concerned about scratching the floor. To actually “move” it, I rented a box truck (moving truck) with a lift gate. The lift gate is the crucial part there.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Rent a portable Sky Hook.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are old like me hanco is correct, hire movers, save your back and knees for hunting season.

While they do the work, make sure to mix yourself a Martini or your favorite beverage, and thank God for young men with strong backs lol

cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/18/23.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on how poor you are and if you are traversing stairs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you could possibly give less information, that would help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yep !

Just like people selling stuff on market place.

It's a crap shoot !

**I've stopped asking questions, if you're to dumb, to include all the relevant information, you aren't getting my money !

Last edited by New_2_99s; 08/18/23. Reason: ** to add

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yep !

Just like people selling stuff on market place.

It's a crap shoot !

**I've stopped asking questions, if you're to dumb, to include all the relevant information, you aren't getting my money !

I have come to the conclusion that, in general, people are pretty damn dumb.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigGrz
Call someone else and pay them to do it. It’s what I did.

Or leave it there and buy another one. I helped move one for my brother, after he had a hip replacement. I wish he'd bought another one.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by KillerBee
If you are old like me hanco is correct, hire movers, save your back and knees for hunting season.

While they do the work, make sure to mix yourself a Martini or your favorite beverage, and thank God for young men with strong backs lol

cool

I like that idea

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Mine is only 800 lb, and I have access to a skid steer with forks, so that makes the outside part easier.

Once at the front door we laid the safe down on a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight and rolled it through the house. To avoid damge to the floor from the dolly wheels, I threw 1/2 inch plywood down over the laminate floor.

We moved a few years later, into a house with vinyl floors. We set the safe in through the door with the fork lift, onto a 4'x6' piece of scrap rug. Two guys grabbed the front edge of the rug and pulled, one pushed from behind. We slid the safe quickly and easily right into the corner where it resides to this day. A safe can be set onto a heavy piece of cardboard and slid around quite easily.

But we had no stairs to traverse in either move.

800 or 1000 lbs can be loaded into or out of a pickup by three or four men if they tilt it into the truck. Especially if it is being loaded/unloaded from an elevated position as a step or deck.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have never owned one, but right now , my days of moving heavy objects are over, anything as heavy as a gun safe is a "leaver right" , leave her right the phuque where it's at!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hire somebody with a bonded moving business.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Springcove
Call a safe company and have them move it. They have specialized dollys and it well worth it.

+1

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Surprised that no one mentioned the baseball method wherein you use baseballs instead of sections of pipe.

Personally, I moved both my safes into place with family helping. Floor jack and a hand truck across the garage and transitioned onto roller pipes. Rolled them onto a plywood base and bolted them down.

I'll be 60 in November and planning a move 3 states away. The gun safes are going into a sea container with everything else. I will lay them on their backs and fill 'em up with cushioned or boxed guns. Obviously, correct protection measures will be used.

Don't get hurt!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If no flights of stairs are involved, and the doorways are wide enough, it's no big deal. Rent the pair of safe dollies, though.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bought a safe at a bankruptcy auction last year. Perfect condition (just don't have the key, or the combination), but for its size it is one heavy piece of steel... about 28" square and 34" tall and weighs in at 1,000 pounds. They used a forklift to load it for me, and I used my Duct-Lift to off-load it and put it into the garage temporarily until I can figure out what I want to do with it. Think I gave $100 bucks for it, and plan on using it as a machine base for a benchtop mill (maybe putting a rubber pad under it for vibration. Price, they want for safe-cracking and supplying a new key and combination is outrageous and I don't expect there to be anything in it. But that being said, I have thought about turning it upside down and grinding out the bottom metal with a diamond wheel just to see. I can always weld the bottom back on after getting it open. I suppose welding a eye to the top, it would make a good boat anchor too.

Phil

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Bought a safe at a bankruptcy auction last year. Perfect condition (just don't have the key, or the combination), but for its size it is one heavy piece of steel... about 28" square and 34" tall and weighs in at 1,000 pounds. They used a forklift to load it for me, and I used my Duct-Lift to off-load it and put it into the garage temporarily until I can figure out what I want to do with it. Think I gave $100 bucks for it, and plan on using it as a machine base for a benchtop mill (maybe putting a rubber pad under it for vibration. Price, they want for safe-cracking and supplying a new key and combination is outrageous and I don't expect there to be anything in it. But that being said, I have thought about turning it upside down and grinding out the bottom metal with a diamond wheel just to see. I can always weld the bottom back on after getting it open. I suppose welding a eye to the top, it would make a good boat anchor too.

Phil
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 77 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.