Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PatB Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Any left handed shooters have bad experiences shooting AR's? Gas, debris in the face, etc..

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am right handed, left eye dominant. I have shot lefty all my life.

No issues from an AR (tens of thousands of rounds).

I do use an Ambi Trigger and charging handle.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PatB
Any left handed shooters have bad experiences shooting AR's? Gas, debris in the face, etc..

Yeah, I had a left handed AR. The bad experience was I had to pick up brass on both sides of the bench when I was done. I just stick to right handed AR's now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I put ambi safeties and charging handles on mine and all is well. All are RH and have the brass deflectors, no genuine slick sides.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not buy a Stag?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have 5 Stag lefty rifles some going back 25 years. The last three I assembled to be sort of long range. I bought the 24", 1:8 twist heavy barrels for them. All have different triggers, and all have ambi safety’s and charging handles. I put silent captured springs in all of them. They are very good. The problem rifle is the 9tl 9mm carbine. Too many issues on it and that explains why they discontinued it. Rock River Arms is supposed to be good too, but I haven’t bought any yet.

You won’t find a good way to catch brass with a lefty. I have some luck with a net, but all it does is stop some of them because although I’m shooting from the same spot, there are different angles. I learned to use the midway brass picker upper after 10 rounds to allow for it to cool down or give me a chance to change rifles and that works good.

The AR 10 rifles would be fun, but it will be a while before I get any of those. It’s cheaper to shoot 556 over 308.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What ambi safety are you guys using? My son's shooting lefty and I need to put ambi safeties in a few ARs he likes to shoot.

Is there really any real difference between a $25 Spikes, $50 Radian and a $65 forward controls?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by goalie
What ambi safety are you guys using? My son's shooting lefty and I need to put ambi safeties in a few ARs he likes to shoot.

Is there really any real difference between a $25 Spikes, $50 Radian and a $65 forward controls?

AR Stoner and CMMG. I think both are the same in quality.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a RRA ,223 Predator Pursuit, Armalite AR10, POF Revolution .308 and a POF Renegade .223, No issues with any of them shooting lefty.

However, with the Renegade, suppressed, I do get some gas blow back in the face, but my righthand friends say the same. Looking at trying a gas buster charging handle to see if it helps.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I put ambi safeties and charging handles on mine and all is well. All are RH and have the brass deflectors, no genuine slick sides.

Yep, slick sides won't work. As long as they have a good brass deflector, they are good to go for me. All ambi controls and I even run a bad lever on all of mine. They work great that way.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Everyone here is going to have their own preference when it comes to what company to use. I use Armaspec for my lower parts kit. That comes with the ambi safety. I run radian raptor charging handles and magpul bad lever.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I am a left handed shooter. Back in 2001 I had a right handed upper come apart on me in a match while shooting offhand. I had a little damage to my right eye that healed and a decent size piece of metal is still embedded near my right eye. I was not wearing shooting glasses. Had I been a right handed shooter i would have been a non event physically.

I prefer the left handed uppers and have both Stag and Red X. It is easier for me to load from position (shoot High Power). I shoot right hand lowers, like the bolt release on the left hand side.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Mike70560; 08/22/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I see no reason to compromise so I own two left handed Stags.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
P
PatB Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
P
So far all I have are right handed lowers.. I'd like to introduce my wife to AR's and she is TOTALLY left everything....

Be nice if she could handle and shoot the ones I have but in the long run maybe a Stag would be the deal..

Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, I had a left handed AR. The bad experience was I had to pick up brass on both sides of the bench when I was done. I just stick to right handed AR's now.

^^^^

+1

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
As a lefty Army Vet, the only issue with the M16 series rifles I experienced was with the old M16A1. Those old rifles did not have brass deflectors and it would throw the brass on your right cheek.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

$15.00

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO-AR-15-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector-p/jb-ambi-safety.htm

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

$15.00

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO-AR-15-Ambidextrous-Safety-Selector-p/jb-ambi-safety.htm

Thanks, but I just went with a few Spikes from PA.

👍👍👍

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ambi Safety:

KAC was on sale-my favorite.

Geiselle--also very good.

Ambi Charging handle--Geiselle.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by tops911
As a lefty Army Vet, the only issue with the M16 series rifles I experienced was with the old M16A1. Those old rifles did not have brass deflectors and it would throw the brass on your right cheek.

Will make you look like you have chicken pox.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lets see, I have 2 PSA 7.5" kit guns, a CBC 6.5 grendel kit gun, a J&T 5.56, a Grendel hunter 6mm ARC, a Tromix 458 socom, a Olympic Arms 25 wssm, a RRA varmiter, and a verioforce tactic AR-10 6.5 creeed. have shot left handed for 50+ years, none of these have any LH mods done, I get along great with them.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.