GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RIO7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same Protein feeder as the first picture, on the west ranch, there's a ton of bucks up there this year.Rio7

They don't appear to be wasting the output from that feeder. Suckers are so fat they could jump up in the air and get stuck!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JCMCUBIC, We fill that 1000# feeder about once a week, they hit it pretty hard in this drought we have had, some of them camp up there by the water and feeder it's nice and shady in this 100 plus degree heat. Rio7

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's an impressive bunch!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
skeener,

That map sure has changed in the 20+ years I've been hunting in KS. I see a couple of familiar spots in the SE part but the volume of walk-in hunting parcels pales in comparison to yesteryear. I began seeing it about 15 years ago - landowner enrolls in WIHA, a guy or group (resident and non-resident) contact landowner, offering more in lease rate than WIHA pays, the following year or two, it's out of the program.

Sadly, yes, some of my favorite WIHA farms have been leased by outfitters over the years.

I've considered joining the game, either leasing or buying some land.

However, truthfully, I'd be looking at buying 100, maybe 200 acres. That would really stifle my hunting style. I'd feel almost claustrophobic being that limited.

There's still over a million acres of walk-in hunting, and plenty of Corps land. I like being able to stretch my legs and go after the deer versus being penned up and contained to a single tree or blind.

Nothing wrong with a fella buying 40 acres, throwing up a feeder station and a couple blinds, I'm just not there yet.

There is a hunt club over in Missouri that leases thousands of acres, spread out over western Missouri and eastern Kansas. Last I checked membership was around $2K annually. Someday, maybe, I'll look a little harder into that.

You know what's funny, most other hunters I run into are from out of state. Non-residents hunt public land more than residents, which, I suppose, makes sense.

I hear about "pressure" too, but truthfully, over the last 15 years, you can count on one hand the number of other deer hunters I've ran into in the field (not at a parking area or on the road).

I ran into more shed hunters this Spring than I've ever ran into actually deer hunting. Including a group that came all the way from Pennsylvania. crazy

Shed hunting has become a highly competitive sport in Kansas. shocked

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Good looking group! Good luck this season

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Old buck with a couple of nice younger Bucks, they are hitting the Protein pretty hard, need to put up a couple more cameras. Rio7

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RIO7

Old buck with a couple of nice younger Bucks, they are hitting the Protein pretty hard, need to put up a couple more cameras. Rio7
This is my first year feeding protein and I'm surprised the number of bucks that are using the feeders.

Life is good live it while you can.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TrueGrit, The protein feed will pay off with healthier Does And Fawns and healthy Bucks, protein will help the Bucks recover from the rut and help the Does produce more and better milk and stronger Fawns. it will take about a year or more for you to see the results of feeding protein. Rio7

Last edited by RIO7; 09/10/23.
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's a new photo of the non-typical I posted previously, and another typical.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/14/23.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Not sure what to make of this one, looks like he has an extra beam...

I would agree with you. I probably wouldn't think twice of shooting that buck. But if you're looking for age, on a quick pic, he looks like maybe 3.5? Maybe even 2.5?

Camp is where you make it.
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

I would agree with you. I probably wouldn't think twice of shooting that buck. But if you're looking for age, on a quick pic, he looks like maybe 3.5? Maybe even 2.5?
If you look at the earlier photo I posted, he's thick! I'm thinking 3.5+. My son is the gunner this year, I did not draw but I will be there with him, this one may be hard to pass, hopeful for more photos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you look at the earlier photo I posted, he's thick! I'm thinking 3.5+. My son is the gunner this year, I did not draw but I will be there with him, this one may be hard to pass, hopeful for more photos.

Yeah, that buck is at least 4.5. I just came from a morning hunt about an hour from there, I saw 4 bucks; 2 spikes, a forkie, and a 6 pointer. Those are typical 1.5 year old Kansas bucks.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen

Yeah, that buck is at least 4.5. I just came from a morning hunt about an hour from there, I saw 4 bucks; 2 spikes, a forkie, and a 6 pointer. Those are typical 1.5 year old Kansas bucks.

I guess archery season has started?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by skeen

I’d be shocked if he’s 4.5…but I’m not biologist. He might be thick but his front is a lot smaller than his back, not big and blocky like 4.5 yo buck.

Look at the 4x4 Rio posted on this thread. That’s an older buck.

It’s still a really cool looking buck though.

Last edited by tzone; 09/14/23.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got a couple pictures of this one, can't seem to quite make him out. I'm told my poor resolution has more to do with my mobile signal than the camera. Looks like a typical 10, big bodied.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
NICE!!

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
New photo of the non-typical.

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/28/23.
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This guy keeps getting better, lots of stickers.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking this is the same buck from my initial post, can't figure what he would score, not that score matters, more about age, etc...My best guess would be 130.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (17Fan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.