Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Recently traded for a model 70 featherweight 30-06 from around 2007-2012, supposed to be one of the ones made in south Carolina. Shoots real good and everything is nice on the rifle except with a live or fired round it seems to have very sticky bolt lift regardless of what ammo i try. I have had model 70s from pre 64s to current production and have noticed something similar but not this bad on some models from the late 80s and 90s, but not all of them and none this bad. I guess i’m just wondering if this is somewhat common or exactly what’s going on. I have 5 model 70s less than 5 years old and all are slick as glass, really like this 30-06 but the bolt lift is bugging me, thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Denver257
Recently traded for a model 70 featherweight 30-06 from around 2007-2012, supposed to be one of the ones made in south Carolina. Shoots real good and everything is nice on the rifle except with a live or fired round it seems to have very sticky bolt lift regardless of what ammo i try. I have had model 70s from pre 64s to current production and have noticed something similar but not this bad on some models from the late 80s and 90s, but not all of them and none this bad. I guess i’m just wondering if this is somewhat common or exactly what’s going on. I have 5 model 70s less than 5 years old and all are slick as glass, really like this 30-06 but the bolt lift is bugging me, thanks!

Probably not from 2007, as no model 70's were being manufactured then. The first thing I'd check is galling of the locking lugs and headspace. In all actuality, it should probably be taken in to a qualified smith to check to make sure it's even safe to shoot. All of the BACO's I've had were smooth as glass as well. Good luck with it and let us know what you find..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Probably not from 2007, as no model 70's were being manufactured then. The first thing I'd check is galling of the locking lugs and headspace. In all actuality, it should probably be taken in to a qualified smith to check to make sure it's even safe to shoot. All of the BACO's I've had were smooth as glass as well. Good luck with it and let us know what you find..

I wasn’t sure on the year, was told it was made in NC and thought i read somewhere that was 2006 or 2007 to 2012. Also i guess it’s hard to say how bad it really is, you don’t have to use any real force to open it, it’s just annoyingly sticky/tight. Thank you for the information!

Last edited by Denver257; 08/09/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Same here. Maybe better than my P64’s on the whole.

Maybe grease those lugs up well and try it?

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Long ago I read that putting grease on the contact surfaces of a bolt would affect the headspace, but later another article by a respected gunsmith suggested that some moly truck bearing grease on them was a good idea. Been doing that ever since without issue, and it definitely smooths things up. I do that to all my acquisitions, new or new to me, along with cleaning the inside of the bolt and applying Dri-Slide, then letting the carrier evaporate before use. That same smith opined that the bearing grease and Dri Slide were all the lubes needed for guns. Both products are pretty messy to use, but once the excess dissipates, seem to stay put.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Long ago I read that putting grease on the contact surfaces of a bolt would affect the headspace,
😂

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Long ago I read that putting grease on the contact surfaces of a bolt would affect the headspace,
😂

Hey, I read it, didn’t write it😛

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently had a rifle rebarreled and experienced the same problem. A smear of grease on the lugs solved it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A clean cocking cam can cause this issue. It needs a touch of grease as well.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Didn’t use grease, but a heavy coat of rem oil and then lightly wiping off the excess completely solved the issue.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,226
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.