Print Thread
Hop To
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What is news re hunting being impacted by fires and evacuations?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hi Rick, I am in South Eastern B.C. and today when
I started my truck and smoke visably came out of the Heat/cool vent. High, high winds last night must of spread these fires locally. Soon forest service roads( bush roads ) will be closed to the public.
Big Game rifle season starts Sept 10.
Northern B.C. it is well underway. Sheep start August 1.
A shod horse can create spark in these conditions.
I don't know abour the Territories, but the hazard is as high or higher. DALL Sheep previously opened Mid July.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am thinking Yellowknife is closed to incoming flights if the plan was to go through there. (town is evacuated now I believe)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
DEviating a bit from the OP.....Anyone know how BC30cal is doing with respect to the fires?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aagaardsporter;
Good evening sir, I trust the weekend was a good one for you all.

Thanks kindly for asking, we're doing okay as of tonight, so far.

There's a really aggressive fire north of us that Partsman is on evac alert for which has taken out a number of houses over the past couple of days. The airports in Kelowna and Penticton were shut down as was the highway other than emergency vehicles for a bit up there.

We've got one that's been growing straight west of us but thus far we're not on evac alert for it, though we can see across the valley places that are.

The smoke has been really thick the last couple of days so visibility is about 100yds at best. Some of the construction sites have shut down tomorrow because of the air quality, which is likely best.

Life in the BC bush some summers can be a little more excitement than we like, but it is what it is.

Thanks again for asking, I appreciate it.

All the best to you all this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This seems to be a particularly bad year; at least potentially. We have been extremely fortunate so far, and fires have been in directions and at distances which have made them less threatening. Air quality is pretty dismal. While I was working the other day, I found myself uncharacteristically out of breath. While this may be due to my level of maturity, it occurs to me that it may also be due to the smoky air I'm breathing.
We were down at a family get together in Coeur d'Alene, over the weekend, and the smoke was, if anything, even worse. This largely due to a big fire just west of Spokane.
Anyway, it is just kind of a grin and bear it situation. As Dwayne has suggested, this is simply life in the woods. Best to everyone. GD

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told they have evacuated something like 180,000 people, and looting is widespread, and not enough law to do anything about it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told they have evacuated something like 180,000 people, and looting is widespread, and not enough law to do anything about it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Top of the morning my cyber friend, I hope all is well with you and your fine family.

While I'm certainly no expert on what's going on elsewhere, there's about 30,000 people evacuated in BC and maybe another 20,000 out of Yellowknife.

There hasn't been any chatter that I'm aware of regarding serious looting down here in our area, but again I can't speak for up north.

Down here there's lots and lots of LEO and they're reasonably serious about preventing looting.

In times like this the communities pull together in a significant way somehow and there is a certain seriousness in most things. The legacy media don't really get that or at least portray it, but one can feel it.

For instance we have family stuck up in Kelowna because the airport is closed, so they went and volunteered at a shelter while they wait for a flight. That sort of thing is happening all over.

Again I'm sure stupidity is happening with regards to looting, but down here the LEO take it very seriously and some of the locals who are allowed in and out might take it even more seriously.

Edit to add - the morning news says that some idiots are moving or taking some of the pumps and hoses in one of the fires in the Shuswap which would be 3 hours north of us here. It is my sincere hope that the folks responsible either cease and desist or that some of the young and very fit BC Wildfire firefighters catch them at it and get to vent their frustrations a wee bit. May I be forgiven for possibly unChristian thoughts on idiots who take firefighting equipment.

All the best and thanks for any prayers sent our way.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 08/21/23. Reason: more information

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BC30cal man I ain't much of a praying man but I wish the best the best out come for you and your people were you live🙏

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
44mc;
Good afternoon or I see we could call it evening in Florida already, I hope you're all well.

Thanks so much for the kind words, I appreciate them and any positive thoughts, prayers or sage smoke any out there in our shared ether space care to send out.

Just got back in from attempting to haze yet another different black bear out of the neighborhood.

I want to say this is the 4th one we've seen since spring now and since either it or a cousin did a number on our pear and walnut tree last night I'm thinking uncharitable thoughts towards it.

It is actually bear season down here on private land, but depending upon "exactly" where the bear is standing, it might push the boundaries of good taste and legality regarding how far we're needing to be from a "dwelling or habitation".... ;)f

When we had horses it was a different matter entirely because we could be defending livestock and nobody would blink.

Anyways these idiot bears and the fires too for that matter are in truth first world problems. We could always move off this chunk of ground we've called home for more than 30 years if we were that concerned. The smoke, fires, bears and other vagaries of life are the tax we pay to go down the rural road of life we've chosen and for now, we're still okay with that.

I say we since my good wife has got to be one of the more grounded and logical people I've ever met, but then her late parents both were also, so she came from excellent stock and that helps.

Thanks again for the post and the thoughts, they truly are appreciated.

All the best.

Dwayne

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you are welcome BC30cal . wish i was a little bit closer i would help with the bear problem , a spot & stalk with my xbow would be fun . I understand about your home place,I have been living on a strip of dirt between a 300 acre state preserve in the front yard with a saltwater creek in the backyard on a dead end road for about 40 years it just feels like home. good luck with the fires & bear trouble my cyber friend

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Looting might be a problem in downtown Toronto but that’s caused by climate change not fires.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by greydog
This seems to be a particularly bad year; at least potentially. We have been extremely fortunate so far, and fires have been in directions and at distances which have made them less threatening. Air quality is pretty dismal. While I was working the other day, I found myself uncharacteristically out of breath. While this may be due to my level of maturity, it occurs to me that it may also be due to the smoky air I'm breathing.
We were down at a family get together in Coeur d'Alene, over the weekend, and the smoke was, if anything, even worse. This largely due to a big fire just west of Spokane.
Anyway, it is just kind of a grin and bear it situation. As Dwayne has suggested, this is simply life in the woods. Best to everyone. GD

I am ~15 miles NE of Sandpoint and with yesterday's rain can now see Schweitzer across the valley for the first time in a while. A couple of summers ago we hit Level 2 evac status and, with the air so bad, decided to head back to Texas.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be safe Dwayne. Prayers offered for all those effected.

A few weeks ago we were at a red alert air quality level of smoke here in NC. Probably from Eastern Canada fires though.

Please don't feed the trolls!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,123
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.