Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What load were you shooting?
\

North Fork solids in Africa. 450 grains with MV of 2150 fps.

More detail this afternoon when I have time to check my load history records.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really like the Marlin models in 45-70 and now have an SBL version. Most of the Marlin models will be a little high in price at the current time but have no doubt you can find one that doesn't break the bank. My son is soon to be 17 and he likes the SBL and the other Marlin levers too. Likes shooting it, and carrying it and I suspect we will draw cards or rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to hunt with it at times this year.

I would like to have a Ruger #1 in 45-70 too...and that means my son approves of the Ruger #1 in 45-70 too and encourages me to get one of those if I find one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... mines a late manufactured Remlin 1895GS in 45-70 I got cheap ... I spiffed and smoothed it up and added the WWG trigger and ejector and a Wolff hammer spring ... the trigger breaks crisply at 3 pounds and no misfires or fail to fires in 100s of rounds ... the scope is a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20 mounted on an EGW Picatinny rail ... my hunting load is CCI-200 primer, WW case, Lee 4cc dipper (52.5 grains) of IMR-3031, 405 grain Woodleigh Weldcore SP bullet, case crimped into provided cannelure (using Lee factory crimp die) ... ... using the Lee 4cc dipper (52.5 grains IMR-3031) to measure charges is handy and time saving ... the load is an ass kicker and will group 3 bullets into the same ragged hole at 50 yds ... no signs of pressure in my gun what so ever ... DON'T USE MY LOAD WITHOUT PROPER WORK UP ... IT MAY NOT BE SAFE IN YOUR GUN ... ALWAYS REFER TO MANUFACTURERS OFFICIAL LOADING MANUALS FOR DIRECTIONS IN LOAD DEVELOPMENT ... RELOADING IS DANGEROUS IF NOT DONE PROPERLY

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
May want to talk your son into a .44 Mag instead of the 45/70 unless you reload, and then even if you do. 45/70 300 grain factory stuff is pretty mild but expensive. Hand loading for the likes of an 1895 Marlin can transform them into something of a brute. Slip on Limbsavers for zeroing at the range are your friend. Scopes are good but a fiber optic front and ghost ring on the back work surprisingly well. Lever guns off sand bags may require a different technique for best groups. Reloading for a straight wall in a tubular magazine requires a rethink if you are accustomed to bolt guns. The Lee factory crimp die is highly recommended. Center punched a pig with a 400 Speer in front of a whole bunch of gunpowder. Pretty soft bullet, you could put your finger in the entrance hole.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I bought a JM stamped Marlin 1895XLR for myself when I turned 19. Best/worst mistake I ever made because now I cant own anything small bore haha.

Scattered thoughts, but take from this what you need:

You can get a lot of great bullets to suit your sons liking of recoil. I shoot magnums out of mine and most of my friends think Im sick in the head for it. Generally speaking a heavy load in these guns will feel much more like a muzzleloader, meaning a firm shove instead of the stiff punch from a smaller, faster load.

I would make the consideration of what and where he is hunting to determine the caliber he needs. I settled on 45-70 because I am an upland bog and green forest hunter, so even if I miss with the first shot, I am going to have a path cleared for the second. Even with the hotter loads I am not thrilled with shots in the 150yd range and wouldnt dream of anything out to 200yd. Those bricks of lead start falling awful fast when they slow down. When I first bought it I shot 405gr corelockts, I was dead on at 100yd, at 200yd I was more than a foot under the target.

Theres a lot of great lever guns on the market, anything JM stamped Marlin would do well, it sounds like the Rugers are holding their own also. I've liked every Browning BLR I've shot. This would also open up more calibers (and greater hunting situation adaptability as I stated above). And Henry has the name they have for a reason.

Do what you want with the above info, but I would highly advise you have him consider your hunting situations/setups above all else before comitting to the beast.

Last edited by Plouffer; 08/22/23.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've a few .45-70s.......Remington Rolling Block, Winchester High Wall, Siamese Mauser, 1874 C. Sharps, T/C Contender, Knight KP1, Ruger No 1, 70's vintage 1895 Marlin and lastly a "Ruglin" 1895 Trapper. I've loaded rompin' stompin' loads in the appropriate action but probably the most enjoyment I've had is running 1000fps loads through the Trapper with a can screwed on.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son bought a Henry in 45-70 with “case hardened” action. It is a beautiful gun, shoots well and is accurate with Hornady and Winchester factory ammo plus my handloads too. I gave him an old Leupy 2-7 and it is perfect for that rifle. Recoil is noticeable but not worse than a standard Rem700 in 30-06 shooting 180s.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,339
Posts18,487,720
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.