Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by garddogg56
357 mag from a S&W 66-1 six inch

I bought a 357mag Ruger GP100- 6" with the intention of short range deer hunting in timber areas. 158 gr critical defense JHP are part of that plan.

I killed a couple with an old Security Six 6". 158 gr. JHP handloads work good.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should be like taking out a hunting cabin with Fat Man..

Today, I was hitting 6” targets with fairly rapid shots at 50 yds with 44 Special, 250 HC at 975 fps from my S&W 329 44 mag. It’s enough.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is this a real post? Extreme penetrators out of a 500SW mag for deer? It's a deer, not a Cape buffalo. Both rounds are inappropriate IMO. You need some tamed down lead soft point or hollow point, not a +P solid.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is there any reason to load anything other than cast bullets in the 500 SW? Other than bullet availability and marketing? What would a man hunt with a 500SW that he couldn’t use cast bullets for?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in the mid to late 70s I killed a lot of deer & hogs some squir. a few gators with a well used mod. 10 S&W with a 4in. tube with store bought hand loads from a gun shop with 148 gr. wad cutters . no need for big bores down here

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the last deer I killed with a revolver was from a 5.5” single six in 32H&R mag using 100gr Speer hp’s. Deer dropped where it stood. 500 mag sounds like waaaay too much of a good thing to me…. But heck I get it. We all like to tinker with our toys. Good luck on your quest.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yep , it is fun , dropped em with T/C 14” 357 max and 10” 357 mag .
Got a 629 a few years ago and need to get blood on it soon
Have shot the 500 , saw the same problem with it I had with the T/C , too bulky .
Accurate as all get out though . My next quest will be a 4” 44 speacial for carry .
Kenneth

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
My next quest will be a 4” 44 speacial for carry .
Kenneth

Why not a 45 Colt?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Kenneth

Why not a 45 Colt?
Great question. No WT's yet with a handgun for me, but if I was so inclined, I'd use this three screw Ruger SBH, line bored to .45 Colt by Jim Shroh, with Shilen barrel, long steel ejector. Jim made the front sight, I did the trigger job, used a piece of a
nail inside the trigger spring, fitted as a trigger stop. Works great, although fitting did take some trial and error. I fitted the stag grips, installed the Ruger Medallions.

I like the 270 gr. Penn bullets Thunderhead over a max dose of 4227. Big flat meplat makes a statement. Not a long range rig, but should be pretty neat in a tree stand. I'd feel pretty confident up to 50 yds or so. maybe a bit more in a pinch.

Cross draw Mernickle flap holster/belt combo completes the set up.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Kenneth

Why not a 45 Colt?
Great question. No WT's yet with a handgun for me, but if I was so inclined, I'd use this three screw Ruger SBH, line bored to .45 Colt by Jim Shroh, with Shilen barrel, long steel ejector. Jim made the front sight, I did the trigger job, used a piece of a
nail inside the trigger spring, fitted as a trigger stop. Works great, although fitting did take some trial and error. I fitted the stag grips, installed the Ruger Medallions.

I like the 270 gr. Penn bullets Thunderhead over a max dose of 4227. Big flat meplat makes a statement. Not a long range rig, but should be pretty neat in a tree stand. I'd feel pretty confident up to 50 yds or so. maybe a bit more in a pinch.

Cross draw Mernickle flap holster/belt combo completes the set up.

DF

You certainly got it working. Nice rig.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks Reloder.

It does work. I don't really want a more powerful handgun for what I do; that one packs a wallop.

Another option is my Glock G40 10mm with KKM barrel which shoots cast bullets. The RMR sight is co witnessed by Trijicon high profile irons designed for suppressors.

I had Sinner's Mass in San Antonio work on the grip, removing the finger groves, doing their magic.

My gunsmith bud is a Glock trained armorer and I got him to do a trigger job. I tried an aftermarket trigger, sent it back. His work was better.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/26/23.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When I was in search of a handgun my original choice was either a 44 mag or 45 colt in a 5” Ruger RedHawk
But a really nice 629 with a 5” barrel came along and price was right .
I initially carried it in a x draw rig and shot cast bullets in it .
But time rolled by and I decided to put some glass on it and went with across the chest rig and began experimenting with cast , Barnes , Hornady, and Speer 200 gr hollow points .
Shot some nice 1”-1.5” fifty yd groups with all of them setting on 296 .
Then came across some hand loads at a gun show , don’t remember the bullet manufacturer off the top of my head , but they were 200 gr hp’s
Bought a hundred bag took them home , they set on a shelf for a couple yrs and finally got around to slinging some down range .
First couple was at 25 yds and first three were in a slightly oblong hole , very slightly .
I smile and figure it’s a blind dog finding a bone thing and squeezed off three more , same thing .
Now they got my attention.
Moved back to fifty yds and fired three that was in a nice tight clover leaf , dam ! I’m thinking .
Three more , two strongly over lapped with a third holding a sliver of paper between it and original two , made scope adjustments D/C and have yet to get the opurtunity to put it in meat . They recoiled heavy enough that I have no doubts the velocity is adequate. But hopefully this year I’ll get it in meat
Searched the gun shows again as I would occasionally run into him and bought another 100 pack and put the word out at each opurtunity about the fellow , man makes a good product needs recognition.
They were labeled Deer Slayers or Deer Killers , don’t remember off the top of my head , but didn’t see no reason to monkey with anymore handloads .
The 44 speacial has caught my attention because a 38 used to be my carry gun and I just figured a 44 speacial would be a step in the right direction.
Not sure it will ever replace my G30 though , that little puppy is bad to the bone .
Kenneth

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,667
Posts18,513,075
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.