Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Tried trading a Diamondback AR, don't remember the model but it was made for 3gun, at the shop I bought it from was told they no longer take ARs in trade. The largest gunshop in the state says the same. What's up with this? What do I do with it? Wife says we compete in enough so no 3gun for us, so it needs a new home. Just not sure how. I lost my butt the last time I used gunbroker so I don't know where else to turn. Shipping rifles is hard too, ups store freaks out if you ask them to make a box.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
Tried trading a Diamondback AR, don't remember the model but it was made for 3gun, at the shop I bought it from was told they no longer take ARs in trade. The largest gunshop in the state says the same. What's up with this? What do I do with it? Wife says we compete in enough so no 3gun for us, so it needs a new home. Just not sure how. I lost my butt the last time I used gunbroker so I don't know where else to turn. Shipping rifles is hard too, ups store freaks out if you ask them to make a box.

Market is saturated with the AR platform.....

As to shipping, IF it's a RIFLE, box and US Mail it yourself, break it down so that it fits in a shorter box, doesn't look like a 'rifle' box.......... it's a bunch cheaper than the box haulers....

JMHO

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Market is slow around here anyway; just not much interest.

With so many ARs around, many that have been built by those not very knowledgable, shops may not be willing to spend the time to check them out for so little margin. Guy at my LGS called them Frankenrifles.

If the election go badly, you may have a hot itemon your hands, so waiting may keep your loss to a minimum.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Clean it well and put it up, you can never have too many...Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If it's set up for 3 gun &you had plans to shoot 3 gun you must know folks that do it or a club/s that have that type of matches. Put the word out to the crowd that uses that type configuration, that's your market.

Even if a gun shop were take it in trade they wouldn't likely recognize it for anymore than just a standard AR & you probably wouldn't like their offer.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have always thought a deal could be made no matter what, it was only the price that was the question. Not so now.

Thanks fellows, you gave me some ideas to try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be honest, I think that many are struggling just to keep food on the table, their asses covered up, and gas in the tank. Discretionary spending is limited to splurging for genuine Kraft Mac & Cheese over store-brand. Kids just went back to school; I shudder to think what that costs now. Some of the old farts I shoot clays with have bought guns lately, including me, but we’re sheltered from a lot of the inflation by our situations.

Christmas is coming soon too.

Then too, you’re up against decent, usable new rifles at low prices from a number of makers. Honest Outlaw mentions those just about every time he reviews one of the high-end guns.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good luck in the current environment. Larue was just selling complete lowers with their MBT2s trigger for $200.00.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you're not absolutely desperate for the cash why not just sit on it until the next seller's market? Something else to consider is trading it on a local venue like Armslist for something you need that may be similarly depressed in price at the moment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of you guys buy and sell guns like you change underwear.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You are right, and I have to quit doing it. Problem is I no longer have a use for this or several others, and if you are not using them they are just clutter. None of the living relatives want any of my firearms or those of my late father, and if you can't sell them, what do you do with them? If it wasn't for the legal liability I would likely take them to my gunclub and give them away. I like to help young people get started.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Dang I can't possibly imagine why a reliable, accurate semi-automatic rifle with widely available ammunition would ever be a good thing to stick in the back of a closet

🙂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been selling my uppers. I keep the lowers because you never know when a new upper needs to fill a niche you haven't even dreamed up yet.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Once again the market is flooded with AR15s, history repeats itself.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

You are right, and I have to quit doing it. Problem is I no longer have a use for this or several others, and if you are not using them they are just clutter. None of the living relatives want any of my firearms or those of my late father, and if you can't sell them, what do you do with them? If it wasn't for the legal liability I would likely take them to my gunclub and give them away. I like to help young people get started.

That's a pretty darn noble thought, BlackBF. I've built a collection myself over the years. I have two males in the family who would probably take the guns. Whether they would care for them and shoot them, I don't know. Might do well giving a good portion of them to my niece and her husband, a rural TN boy.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't really know what a '3-gun' AR consists of, but you could always rebuild the upper into something else with a barrel swap and maybe a different bolt.

Or maybe just sell the upper to someone at the 3-gun shoots, or online or something. I'd keep the lower.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's a pretty darn noble thought, BlackBF. I've built a collection myself over the years. I have two males in the family who would probably take the guns. Whether they would care for them and shoot them, I don't know. Might do well giving a good portion of them to my niece and her husband, a rural TN boy.

My guns don't eat much, holding them costs nothing, and I don't need the money.
One day, I might.
If the guns are turned into cash, the cash would likely be gone,
but now...they sit there. In case of need.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

My guns don't eat much, holding them costs nothing, and I don't need the money.
One day, I might.
If the guns are turned into cash, the cash would likely be gone,
but now...they sit there. In case of need.

Pretty darn good barter in a time of social unrest, too.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Could be various types of need.

Another weird plus is having a hoard helps me avoid buying more.
Net savings!

When you have every common caliber but 25 and 27, up to 338, a slew of 30s, several 7mms, a 264 and a Swede, longs, shorts.......when a PRC come out, it's just so much easier to not go down another gun, dies, scope, brass rabbit hole.

Unless you are at an auction, and a nice Mauser sporter actioned 308 just isn't bringing any money!😉 Now you want a stock, trigger, maybe a safety....
Because, "I think this might be it, it'll be the perfect deer rifle. The ONE that's perfect!"
🤣🤣🤣🤣

And the Dear Wife just smiles.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My thinking aligns with DB and LD on this. If money was tight when you bought it , you should not have bought it, don't compound the error by getting rid of it cheap at a loss..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.