Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
So, just like title says, I'm buying a new rifle in 6.5 Creed, my choices are Kimber Montana or the Winchester Stainless Featherweight. How about some pros, cons, and thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Balance/handling/ergo's the Montana by fhuqking light years. Hint.

Winchester's SOLE advantage,is the ability to change COAL to a 3" box. Hint.

Somebody asking this question,will be best served by the Montucky. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
1 member likes this: dznnf7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 6.5 Kimber Hunter, a.30-06 Montana shortened to 22 in and several Model 70's including an SS All Terrain .30-06 that I have had for many years.

It would depend on how I planned to use it. I like the Kimbers when I am in rugged country or hiking long distances. I used the Montana for my sheep for instance.

Unless that is the case, I prefer the Moedl 70's. The additional weight seems to make it easier to shoot, especially off hand.

Loaded, scoped (All three have 2.5-8x36 Leupolds) and slung with added iron sights and three rounds in a butt cuff there is almost exactly a one pound difference in weight.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There will be over 1.5# weight difference between the Kimber Montana and the wood stocked stainless featherweight in issued guise.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It pains me to Agree with PigStick..... But I'd have to cast my vote for the Montana too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana if you're walking anywhere.

Yup.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
my vote is for the Montana as well

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not even close…Montana.

I have plenty of both. If I had to pick one, it would be a Montana.

Last edited by tzone; 09/05/23.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In 6.5 Creedmoor, the Montana for sure. If it was a bigger caliber, the extra weight of the Winchester might be appreciated.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had that exact M70 FWT and regret selling it big time. Never owned a Montana so can't really compare, but if the FWT is as nice as the one I had, you wouldn't be disappointed. (It shot 3/4" at 100 with 129 interbonds... that's about as good as my eyes can do... rifle likely capable of better.)

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 25aught6
It pains me to Agree with PigStick..... But I'd have to cast my vote for the Montana too.

TwatSchit,

I bat an unfhuqkingbelievably high connect percentage and if I take the time to reply,you'd do well to simply say "ditto". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Below is a rule listed on another outdoor forum. Too bad the 'fire doesn't adopt the same rule. Adult behavior is apparently beyond some...

"No disparaging remarks about other members, no foul attitudes, treat everyone with respect even if you disagree. If a member is not conducting themselves in a respectful manner, give them a gentle reminder of the rules. The membership should be able to police this easily. If a member is unable to keep it civil they will be banned from the site. "

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Liar Larry skirts all rules by crying to the moderator about hurt feelings and discrimination against psychotic sociopaths. Then he passes money under the table and gets free reign. Most of the other forums gave him the boot and barred the door.

In his little world, he thinks he has credibility and admiration.

Rules of virtue, decency, and respect can't apply when you have zilch in that department. Hint

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fuelman
So, just like title says, I'm buying a new rifle in 6.5 Creed, my choices are Kimber Montana or the Winchester Stainless Featherweight. How about some pros, cons, and thoughts?

They're two very different rifles. The Montana is made for backpack and mountain hunting. I'd rather have the Featherweight sitting in a deer stand. Its heavier weight allows it to settle down quicker. I'd rather pack a Montana on a mountain hunt.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by KenMi
Then he passes money under the table and gets free reign.

To be honest I’m getting a little tired of seeing you post this. I think you’re full of [bleep] but feel free to prove me wrong.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kimber Montana without question. Total weight out of the box - 5# 2oz, the stock is 1#9 oz.. Add a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and I'm up to 5#15oz using Talley LW's. Nothing against the Winchester, but you have a couple extra pounds to contend with. On a backpack hunt it is a deal breaker.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/04/23.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tzone
I have planet of both.

Damn. You win! laugh

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southtexas
Below is a rule listed on another outdoor forum. Too bad the 'fire doesn't adopt the same rule. Adult behavior is apparently beyond some...

"No disparaging remarks about other members, no foul attitudes, treat everyone with respect even if you disagree. If a member is not conducting themselves in a respectful manner, give them a gentle reminder of the rules. The membership should be able to police this easily. If a member is unable to keep it civil they will be banned from the site. "

No thanks.

I prefer the thick skin approach.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 4winds

No thanks.

100%

Although I am the "Rita Rudner" of hunting forums (born to be mild) I posted on Accurate Reloading for 20 years and got kicked off for the 6th and final time in 2020 IIRC due to my conservative political beliefs. I took a peek the other night. There were 23 members on line and 131 guests. IMHO, that's what the heavy hand of over-zealous mods gets ya.

ya!

GWB

PS:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My 11 yr old grandson, his first deer and a Kimber Montana in 260 Rem.

Last edited by geedubya; 09/04/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

The Hurt Feeler Reports and Crying Kchuntitude are heart warming. Nothing is fhuqking funnier than Professional "Victims"...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

While I MUCHLY prefer the Montucky,fair is fair. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Snivel on,you CLUELESS Crying Kchunts. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Kimber Montana without question. Total weight out of the box - 5# 2oz, the stock is 1#9 oz.. Add a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and I'm up to 5#15oz using Talley LW's. Nothing against the Winchester, but you have a couple extra pounds to contend with. On a backpack hunt it is a deal breaker.

I don't like a heavy rifle when I backpack. I do think an extra pound or two is insignificant compared to what
I intend to pack out weighs. My pre 64 30-06 w/ 2.5x 8 elk rifle weighs in about 7.5 pounds loaded with sling.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
All things considered.......

I'd much prefer .....

a Finnlight!

or two!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The 6.5 in a Montana is extremely mild, due to the stock design. Throw on a suppressor, and it’s not much more felt recoil than a 223 or 22-250, to me. I haven’t shot any of the 30-06 and up Montanas, but I’d think they’d benefit the same.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by LSU fan

To be honest I’m getting a little tired of seeing you post this. I think you’re full of [bleep] but feel free to prove me wrong.

Money talks. Unless the admin in question can man up and do some explaining, it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

1) Why list any forum guidelines when people sign up if they don't mean a thing?

2) Several members were restricted or booted in the past for similar endless idiocy after plenty of warning. What changed?

3) One was once limited to 2 posts to day, which was actual humorous as hell, but clearly had no effect, and shortly after, unbridled batschitt was handed over.

I'm not just talking about one person. If someone can't show half decency and is just here to be a pompous, arrogant ass, it is a disgrace to this forum and it's sponsors. The forum has and will lose more members, and the sponsors will lose advertising and sales, because of it.

It would be great if sites didn't even have to consider setting rules. But there are always some who have no moral compass at all, and frankly can not function without guidance.

There are several other hunting and shooting forums that are rated higher than this one, because of how they are set up, organized, updated, and managed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchAgain,

Hit that high note...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Been nearly a week,since a new Montucky has hit my porch. Waiting on the BC's,to install the BTR Gen 2 FFP Mil/Mil '12x. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend,Lying,Crying and Whining is free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". HINT.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying. Keep them Professional Victim Hurt Feeler Reports coming!

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Money talks. Unless the admin in question can man up and do some explaining, it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

1) Why list any forum guidelines when people sign up if they don't mean a thing?

2) Several members were restricted or booted in the past for similar endless idiocy after plenty of warning. What changed?

3) One was once limited to 2 posts to day, which was actual humorous as hell, but clearly had no effect, and shortly after, unbridled batschitt was handed over.

I'm not just talking about one person. If someone can't show half decency and is just here to be a pompous, arrogant ass, it is a disgrace to this forum and it's sponsors. The forum has and will lose more members, and the sponsors will lose advertising and sales, because of it.

It would be great if sites didn't even have to consider setting rules. But there are always some who have no moral compass at all, and frankly can not function without guidance.

There are several other hunting and shooting forums that are rated higher than this one, because of how they are set up, organized, updated, and managed.

Got it. Full of [bleep]. You think people should be banned and since they haven’t been that means Rick is now taking bribes. Interesting leap of logic. You need to take a break from the internet if you think anyone is taking membership on a free forum so seriously that they’re delivering bags of cash to the owner.

1 member likes this: dznnf7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber by a mile. Happen to have one. It might shoot..... grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Got it. Full of [bleep]. You think people should be banned and since they haven’t been that means Rick is now taking bribes. Interesting leap of logic. You need to take a break from the internet if you think anyone is taking membership on a free forum so seriously that they’re delivering bags of cash to the owner.

Well, it IS Ken-la-la-land.What else could you expect? Bad water in MI dreamland?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by tzone
I have planet of both.

Damn. You win! laugh

No wonder I can't carry them all. laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting one talks of a "moral compass" while making libelous accusations against the owner of the forum without any proof.

The death of Rick's advertising sales has been reported since the first day I got here, 20 years ago. "Outdoor sites ranked higher" - by whom, where and upon what metric? Never seen the list and were they better, this place would be dead and it's not. In fact, short of twitter - it has one of the FASTEST feedback loops on the net when it comes to PvP hunting discussion.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't spook the fishing hole!b Hint.

KenBitchAgain's VERY Tender Feelers are important to me and a grave concern. Professional Victims rate recognition,as being a Lying,Crying,Whining Piece Of Fhuqking Schit is Wokely Important. Hint.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Don't spook the fishing hole!b Hint.

KenBitchAgain's VERY Tender Feelers are important to me and a grave concern. Professional Victims rate recognition,as being a Lying,Crying,Whining Piece Of Fhuqking Schit is Wokely Important. Hint.

30 seconds of self realization?
Maybe there is hope for ya yet Stumpy.... Thinking about trying Rehab once again?

dry out those last two working brain cells?

In your world, that is setting your sights pretty high.... Unrealistic, but still pretty high...especially when one is 4 ft 11.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How one person can be this messed up on the internet is beyond me. Carry on America.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karen(s) will always find reason(s) to cry and the High Pitched Nasal Whine sure is fhuqking soothing. Hint.

Fortunately for you gals,Imagination,Pretend,Whining,Crying and Lying are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". The never ending list of very WELL founded Insecurities,is funnier than fhuqk. So is the Fact,that my powers are so great,I even control the punctuation of others. Keep The Hurt Feeler Reports rollng ladies,because it is funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Pardon wares that exist,as you laude your Professional Victim status. Hint.

Bless your poor poo(literally) hearts.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Montana by a mile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have to agree with Dip Stick on this one; simply because he is right. One could buy the Winchester, then try to make it feel as light, well balanced, and handy as the Montana, but that would be very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve. I vote for the Montana.
'Stick, Eff you, in advance. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me this is twice the rifle compared to a dainty lil Montana. Brown stock on a classic stainless Featherweight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dumbdog,

You'd do well and be well ahead of the curve,if you always started by fhuqking yourself,simply because it will reap more pussy...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You are sucking the wrong ass. Hint.

That despite the constant,if you cite me,you will be correct and you simply miss by fhuqking miles,when trying to "think" for yourself. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
To me this is twice the rifle compared to a dainty lil Montana. Brown stock on a classic stainless Featherweight.

PeterPuffer,

Browns suck. Hint.

LW's suck. Hint.

Pass the REAL Deal. Hint.

Reupolds suck. MK4 Spotter's third Puke. Hint.

Now that being said,what chmbering is said Piece Of Fhuqking Schit and what bullet? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me guess. Everything can break except a Kimber. The caliber is equally as irrelevant as your pictures. It’s a better rifle for me. For a lady or child I would go with a Kimber. Enjoy yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let me guess. Everything can break except a Kimber. The caliber is equally as irrelevant as your pictures. It’s a better rifle for me. For a lady or child I would go with a Kimber. Enjoy yourself.

Cartridge definitely does matter when talking rifle actions - given they all don't share the exact same COAL limits. QUANTIFY how it's "better" for you than a Kimber.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PeterPuffer,

Of course you are FORCED to guess,which is one of many salient points...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Mechanics matter and your rifle is simply a Goat Fhuqk,whether you know it or not. VERY good call,to hide the chambering and it's fodder. That was the ONLY "move" you had. HINT.

Keep extolling your very WELL founded Insecurities,as you Professional Victims are a fhuqking HOOT! Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for TRYING though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this forum your avenue of masturbation?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PeterPuffer,

I'm VERY "surprised!" that you are more comfortable with your Homoerotic Fantasies,than you are your Goat Fhuqk Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What am I wearing,when you think about me? HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No way I'd choose a new Mod 70 with the MOA trigger over a Montana. I've owned a dozen or better 70's. Only one with the MOA and I never put a round through it. Not for me, YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal

Cartridge definitely does matter when talking rifle actions - given they all don't share the exact same COAL limits. QUANTIFY how it's "better" for you than a Kimber.

Never met a LA model 70 coal issue with a hunting bullet.
Proper weight- 7.5#. Mansized bolt handle, safety, no extra-curved trigger shoe. Floor plate can be a nice feature too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PeterPuffer,

The LESS you "know","see" and "do" the "better" everything is...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

70's are HILARIOUSLY a Goat Fhuqk in L/A,due COAL,even in "Express" or "375 H&H length". I've yet to see a floor plate "help" anything. Hint.

Yesterday evening. hint.

Your Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqkery is HILARIOUS! Perhaps add even more Excuses,to make your Goat Fhuqk "better". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You bobbed a 375. Revolutionary. Congrats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PeterPuffer,

Are you trying to obliviously quantify,that Winchester has botched barrel contours,COAL and stock design from inception...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Those constants are hardly a "secret" and now even you "know",which makes this a VERY Big Day,for someone like you. GOOD call to keep your Goat Fhuqks "Secret Chambering",close to your heaving chest and clutched with your itty bitty trembling fingers,as you Whine aloud. HINT.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My god. Speak like a human. You might turn into one. Or at least pass off as one.

There isn’t a barrel made that has been the perfect length. Or contour. Someone will critique it.

There isnt a gun light enough for some either.

A bling mag is good. Floorplate is good. Neither is obviously better.

After hundreds of guns, I can certainly say the rifle doesn’t matter as much as I thought it did. Hunting accuracy is overrated. Killing animals is easy if you do it enough. To get all excited, swearing and cursing over a gun is absolutely the most ridiculous piece of internet MO I have ever witnessed. Get a life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PeterPuffer,

If only as per always,cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical" for your HILARIOUS "abilities"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Blind mags can't open. That is GOOD. You are a Drooling CLUELESS Whining Fhuqk,which is simply FUNNY. Hint.

Excellence abounds and your "Secret Chambering" Goat Fhuqk misses same by miles. None of which is "subjective",if only to your chagrin. Hint.

As an aside,nobody with actual experience,says ANY of the fhuqking STUPID schit you do,nor do they have "Secret Chamberings". You Whining Clueless LYING Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit are a HOOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pre 64 Featherweight. No mystery chambering though. Just a 308

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DooshMike,

The Winny "Featherweights" are a fhuqking HILARIOUS misnomer and absolute Goat Fhuqks...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

For starters,"light" 308's aren't built upon 375 H&H receivers. HINT.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not everyone wants a light gun

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not everyone wants a light gun
You can't tell him that. He doesn't understand anybody having different taste. Verstehe nicht

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Some folks actually Hunt/Shoot,none of whom are you...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Stupidity isn't a "taste" nor a "choice". HINT.

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts,for TRYING aloud.

Hint.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Proof money doesn’t buy class.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Trying to decipher Big Twig threads is one of the more entertaining aspects of this forum. Doctors still haven't gotten his dosage dialed in yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by justin10mm

Trying to decipher Big Twig threads is one of the more entertaining aspects of this forum. Doctors still haven't gotten his dosage dialed in yet.
He's been off his meds for years

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twatly Trifecta,

You gals be SURE to cite any/all words,that are “too big” or “too Technical” for you to “understand” and I’ll scale them down…you “lucky” kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Very GOOD call to refrain ALL things The Rifle and wax eloquent on your Hurt Feelers instead. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
When introduced in 1953 the M70 Fwt was advertised at 6 1/2 lbs. (the M70 Standard Rifle weight was listed in catalogs at approx. 8 lbs.) and as evidenced by 135,000 Fwts sold over the years was a very popular, cutting edge, lightweight rifle back in the day.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by moosemike

I have the fool blocked. No idea what he is saying but judging from the responses it hasn't changed. Mental illness can be very persistent.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
He seems to have decent incites occasionally but damn he sure makes a mess of otherwise decent topics here. Blocking is probably the way to go.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

It’s Entertainment

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack
It’s Entertainment

Only to those utterly juvenile…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
My walnut Featherweights are beautiful firearms. I believe they are one of the best built/best looking production rifles made. They're not going anywhere.

Having said that, when it's time to go hunting, the Montanas get the nod.

Yep. Montana

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/06/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blairvt

I have the fool blocked. No idea what he is saying but judging from the responses it hasn't changed. Mental illness can be very persistent.
You know exactly what he's saying. It's changed very little over the years

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Kimber classics and selects should be added to the list for discussion. Not just the Montana. The older classics have very nice wood and handle like an English shotgun.

There may be a few things with the Kimber I would like to improve but they got a lot right.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a Montana in 308. It weighed 5 lbs 15 oz with a 2.5-8X36 scope in Talley rings. Great rifle, very light, but I just found it too much of a good thing. My Winchester 70 EW 308 was heavier than I wanted until I swapped the stock for a McMillan Edge. It's now 7 1/4 lbs with the same scope and just right for what I do.

Both rifles were mechanically equal in accuracy, but I shoot the Winchester better. I'm not saying the Kimber is a bad option for YOU or anyone else, I actually like the rifles, a lot. It's just that for what I do I found the Winchester was a better fit.

I bought the Winchester 2nd hand and found the stock used here in the classifieds so I don't have nearly as much money in mine as it would cost to go that route today with a new rifle and stock. Also, if buying a new rifle, the fluted barrel on the EW ends up being almost the same weight as the thinner Featherweight barrel. IMO that is a better way to cut weight.

On a budget, just buy a Tikka. Same weight as my Winchester in the aftermarket stock, same or better accuracy, and the Tikka costs about the same as a McMillan Edge Stock.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by blairvt

You know exactly what he's saying. It's changed very little over the years
I'd still need it translated to english. I don't speak dipshyt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
I had a Montana in 308. It weighed 5 lbs 15 oz with a 2.5-8X36 scope in Talley rings. Great rifle, very light, but I just found it too much of a good thing. My Winchester 70 EW 308 was heavier than I wanted until I swapped the stock for a McMillan Edge. It's now 7 1/4 lbs with the same scope and just right for what I do.

Both rifles were mechanically equal in accuracy, but I shoot the Winchester better. I'm not saying the Kimber is a bad option for YOU or anyone else, I actually like the rifles, a lot. It's just that for what I do I found the Winchester was a better fit.

I bought the Winchester 2nd hand and found the stock used here in the classifieds so I don't have nearly as much money in mine as it would cost to go that route today with a new rifle and stock. Also, if buying a new rifle, the fluted barrel on the EW ends up being almost the same weight as the thinner Featherweight barrel. IMO that is a better way to cut weight.

On a budget, just buy a Tikka. Same weight as my Winchester in the aftermarket stock, same or better accuracy, and the Tikka costs about the same as a McMillan Edge Stock.

Good point on getting the Fwt's out of those heavy (and in my view, incredibly ugly) wood stocks. My featherweights have always gone into light glass stocks. It completely changes their handling characteristics, giving them a nice weight-forward feel.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The big issue with the new featherweights was the weight of the action; most especially, the weight of the bottom metal. It's possible to remove nearly half of the floorplate weight and a quarter of the trigger guard. I believe I could ditch 3 or four ounces from the receiver. GD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GD, I always ditch the steel bottom metal and replace it with an all-aluminum model. Or I use a re-contoured aluminum Model 670 trigger bow and convert to a blind magazine (doing that right now with a 270 Fwt).

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JMR40

Good point on getting the Fwt's out of those heavy (and in my view, incredibly ugly) wood stocks. My featherweights have always gone into light glass stocks. It completely changes their handling characteristics, giving them a nice weight-forward feel.

I changed a P64 30-06 FWT over to a McM with EDGE fill and man it really made me question why I have other rifles. Not a super light rifle by any means but it handled amazing and shot better or at least as good as anything I’ve built.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have you considered the Winchester M70 Extreme Weather? It is chambered in 6.5 Creedmore. Stainless, with Bell & Calson synthetic stock. They shoot, and handle well.

6 lbs 12 oz before scope mounting. Too much?
Win70 Extreme Weather 6.5 CM specs

I have one in 30-06. Love it. The trigger works great, even without the "Earnie the gunsmith" aftermarket $7 spring. Sub-0.75 moa (or better) accuracy with most loads tested. It wears a 3x Leupold.

I guess I am odd man out, rifles CAN be too light (for me). My 2c.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GD, I always ditch the steel bottom metal and replace it with an all-aluminum model. Or I use a re-contoured aluminum Model 670 trigger bow and convert to a blind magazine (doing that right now with a 270 Fwt).

Reinventing the Montana?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If the OP hasn't been shooting for very long, he may have trouble shooting a very lightweight rifle accurately, whether off-hand or from a rest. The recoil may also seem a bit hard to get used to if he is relatively inexperienced with a very light rifle. Even if he were experienced, he may still find shooting a medium weight rifle accurately off-hand, easier than a very light rifle. If the type of hunting he does, does not involve a lot of walking or climbing up hills, a medium weight rifle may be better for him. Even the short action CRF Model 70 allows you to seat out to about 3.04" which is way better than the Kimber 84M which is roughly about 2.81" from memory. The long action Model 70 allows me to seat out to around 3.52". With the more powerful cartridges a bit of weight is a good thing...except if you're doing lots of walking and/or climbing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed. The only advantage of a light rifle is when you’re not shooting it. 7.5-8.5# guns are the sweet spot imo.

F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I'm leaning towards the Montana, but still haven't found one to examine. Im mostly a stand hunter, but as I age, am liking the thought of less weight to carry up and down PA ridges and mountains. A 700 Mountain in 7x57 has been my goto for a while, but I'm going to scratch the Creed itch with a new rifle. Thank you for all the opinions and ideas, the Fire seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The only advantage of a light rifle is when you’re not shooting it.

So, most of the time?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A small consolation if you miss.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Miss?

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr.
Thank you

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The only FWT I currently have, push feed in .243, McMillan stock. Comparing it to a Montana is apples to volleyballs. Two different animals.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jackmountain; 09/07/23.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A Kimber Montana is a carrying rifle. A Winchester featherweight is a shooting rifle.

Most people are going to be able to shoot and manipulate the larger and heavier M70 more easily and effectively. Most people are going to enjoy carrying and packing the svelte and lightweight 84M around more.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The blind mag is a good way to go; it also gives a more comfortable contour to the bottom of the stock. GD

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sons first time ever shooting a Montana

He’s a fan…. A good shooting rifle is a good shooting rifle

Semper Fi
F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Ordered the Montana today, now the real wait begins, lol! Thanks again everyone.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No bad choices here, but I'll bet you love the Montana.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Y'all are making me want to part with my m70 fwt '06 and pick up a Montana or Tikka.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
If the OP hasn't been shooting for very long, he may have trouble shooting a very lightweight rifle accurately, whether off-hand or from a rest. The recoil may also seem a bit hard to get used to if he is relatively inexperienced with a very light rifle. Even if he were experienced, he may still find shooting a medium weight rifle accurately off-hand, easier than a very light rifle. If the type of hunting he does, does not involve a lot of walking or climbing up hills, a medium weight rifle may be better for him. Even the short action CRF Model 70 allows you to seat out to about 3.04" which is way better than the Kimber 84M which is roughly about 2.81" from memory. The long action Model 70 allows me to seat out to around 3.52". With the more powerful cartridges a bit of weight is a good thing...except if you're doing lots of walking and/or climbing.

I agree that shooting an ultra light rifle like a Montana can be more challenging. But mastering marksmanship with a lighter rifle can make you a better shot with a heavier rifle. It all comes down to practice and the pursuit of mastering the fundamentals of good marksmanship.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Y'all are making me want to part with my m70 fwt '06 and pick up a Montana or Tikka.

Anyone who has never hunted with a Montana is missing out.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

It is easy to forego the 'Fire and hang where such rules apply.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Keep the m70; grab a montana in the fires most hated chambering. I love winchesters as much as anyone, but the 6.5 montana is just a great package.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Keep the m70; grab a montana in the fires most hated chambering. I love winchesters as much as anyone, but the 6.5 montana is just a great package.

Amen AK!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You don't have to get rid of the -06, but I bet you start leaving it home more often.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is nothing featherweight about a Featherweight.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jackmountain
The only FWT I currently have, push feed in .243, McMillan stock. Comparing it to a Montana is apples to volleyballs. Two different animals.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe "apples to volleyballs" but that's a sweet little rifle ya got there. I have one in walnut.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Yup!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I bet one in 6 Creed would be a dandy, too.

F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Just an update, picked up my Montana on Friday. Very happy with the whole transaction, good price, fast shipping, and a nice rifle. I work 6-12s away from home, so the next couple weeks will be scoping it then shooting. Hopefully the next report is that of a great shooting rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have had many and still have a few of both. The Leadweights stay home when it comes to hunting nowadays.

F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Just an update, the Montana shoots great, sub 1" groups with 125 Partician, Starline brass, and Big Game loading. Took a busted up buck, that combination seems to work great. Thanks again for the "Fire's," input.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by 4winds

No thanks.

100%

Although I am the "Rita Rudner" of hunting forums (born to be mild) I posted on Accurate Reloading for 20 years and got kicked off for the 6th and final time in 2020 IIRC due to my conservative political beliefs. I took a peek the other night. There were 23 members on line and 131 guests. IMHO, that's what the heavy hand of over-zealous mods gets ya.

ya!

GWB

PS:

My 11 yr old grandson, his first deer and a Kimber Montana in 260 Rem.

I agree with you GWB. I got kicked off of a PNW site for banging the moderators ex wife.. Ol Pharmy knows that site well. The things they will use to kick your azz off a site anymore!! Damn..

Oh, now to answer the OP's question. Featherweight or Montana??.... Well, split the difference and buy a Tikka Superlite. Obvious answer, of course. It will shoot better, out of the box, than either of his choices, and pack just as nicely. 100% reliable, without all the "fluff"..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It seems the OP is pleased with his Kimber.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
F
Fuelman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I've never really warmed up to the Tikka action, kind of clunky to me, I know, that will ruffle some feathers here, lol! But yeah, I really like my first Kimber rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am with you on the Tikka action Fuelman.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a couple Montanas and like them for what they are, a nicely thought out very lightweight practical rifle.
I have many pre 64 model 70 FWTs. some in their factory wood stocks and a bunch in quality synthetics....those rifles I cherish and most of them coming in about 8lbs scoped; are for me in the sweet spot for packing and shootability.
I have a mid 50's fwt. 30'06 in it's original wood stock, with a 1" pad and scoped that weighs right at 7.5 pounds and still prints very tight groups, a delightful rifle.
The Kimber will never have a soul like a pre 64 M70 Fwt. nor will it make that wonderful sound our friend Bob and I love to hear when you run the bolt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by handwerk
I have a couple Montanas and like them for what they are, a nicely thought out very lightweight practical rifle.
I have many pre 64 model 70 FWTs. some in their factory wood stocks and a bunch in quality synthetics....those rifles I cherish and most of them coming in about 8lbs scoped; are for me in the sweet spot for packing and shootability.
I have a mid 50's fwt. 30'06 in it's original wood stock, with a 1" pad and scoped that weighs right at 7.5 pounds and still prints very tight groups, a delightful rifle.
The Kimber will never have a soul like a pre 64 M70 Fwt. nor will it make that wonderful sound our friend Bob and I love to hear when you run the bolt.
I never handled Montana or any other Kimber but I do have a pre 64 M70 Fwt in 30-06, what are major differences between the two beside the weight, I was thinking about getting a Montana.

Last edited by duke61; 04/28/24.
B
B
There used to be talk that people thought the Kimber Montana was better if it had a green or the early gray rifle stock. Not sure what changed or what the difference was?

I've never owned a Kimber Montana. A local store has one in 270 Win, 325 WSM and 7mm WSM. Not sure if that is a good sign or a bad sign, having that many used of the same item. I would love to have both of the WSM's.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m Left-handed and always wanted a Kimber…they actually put out an advertisement that they were going to produce a LH Super America back in the early 2000’s I believe. Then they reneged.
Never thought much of the company or their rifles ever since.

Couple hunting buddies have Montanas…I’ve handled them enough to know what they are and in my opinion, the Model 70 is superior in every way. I’d much rather carry a stainless FWT. But, it’d be stocked in a McMillan Hunter’s edge for sure.
Having said that, Winchester hasn’t offered a LH stainless FWT either….ever! Which is sad.

I never thought much of Tikka either as some have mentioned on this thread. However, after seeing a couple shoot, the wheels started turning in my head and now I own 3 Lefty T3X Superlites…all wear McMillan Hunters Edge Compacts(standard fill). They are twice the rifle the Montana could ever hope to be, in my opinion! But, the McMillan stock was the key for me as I can’t stand a cheap plastic stock on a hunting rifle.

They are super light weight(even in the standard fill McMillan stock). Now, they don’t feel cheap and boy do they shoot!😁

To each his own.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 04/29/24.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

They're two very different rifles. The Montana is made for backpack and mountain hunting. I'd rather have the Featherweight sitting in a deer stand. Its heavier weight allows it to settle down quicker. I'd rather pack a Montana on a mountain hunt.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Balance/handling/ergo's the Montana by fhuqking light years. Hint.

Winchester's SOLE advantage,is the ability to change COAL to a 3" box. Hint.

Somebody asking this question,will be best served by the Montucky. Hint.............

I see the OP nabbed a Kimber and is happy. More often than not for the last 5-6yrs, when it's time to fill a tag, I find myself nabbing a Kimber of the appropriate chambering.

I have a Kimber MT in 243Win and a M70 SS Classic Fwt in an Edge fill, blind bottom Fwt pattern McMillan. Accuracy different between the two certainly isn't enough to live on. I shoot 85gn TSX's through both @ 3200fps.

The M70 is easier for a less-experience shooter to shoot well. As Brad stated above, it settles faster/easier. The lighter Kimber is certainly the winner in the "handier-dandier" dept.

The M70 would have a distinct advantage were I to re-barrel in order to speed up the twist AND stay in the '08 case family with a 3" box swap. The Kimber would favor the Creed family again in handy-dandy and the '08 and Creed based cases get you to ultimately the same place.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
B
Featherweight 260

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bluethunder8
Featherweight 260

Have you ever seen such a cat?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never really warmed up to the Tikka action, kind of clunky to me, I know, that will ruffle some feathers here, lol! But yeah, I really like my first Kimber rifle.

Me too.
Tikkas of any model just haven't impressed me.

They feel like a kid's toy, haven't been as accurate as others claim they are (for me, anyhow) and just haven't given me the warm/fuzzy. I haven't had one long enough to attest to reliability and seriously doubt I'll ever own another.

Rock on to those that like them, but I'll stick to Kimbers, Rem 700s and Win 70s.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by handwerk

Well said HW.. Fully 2nd that comment and I like my little Montanas.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifles are tools and the Montucky is simply fhuqking exceptional from a rugged/reliable hard use standpoint. Hint……….

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,775
Posts18,515,691
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.