Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They created a housing crisis in Canada, but why?
So it can become the next election issue.

It isn't Covid, guns, crime, economy, Quebec sovereignty etc....that's not gonna win Trudeau another term, the housing crisis, which they created is the new election platform, the party with the best BS story will win.
All the new voters we have here will swing that way, you guys who think its about "we need workers" have just been fooled. They created the shortage of manpower to this end.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good morning my friend, I hope you're all getting slightly cleared skies up there and the family are all well.

As you know I've got 3 immediate family members in construction, though admittedly 2 of them are in a company that makes bridges, hospitals, schools, mines, etc. as well as housing.

There was a shortage of labor down here that began to be noticeable and the topic of discussion even back when our girls were still in high school so we'll say a dozen years ago at least.

Part of that shortage of labor here has always been connected with the high cost of living which includes a lack of affordable rental housing or even houses to purchase.

That said, whenever there's been a development purported to supply "affordable" housing, it's turned out to be aimed at upper middle income brackets. That was the case when I was working for a construction and development company from 2014 to early 2019.

Perhaps partially due to low interest rates and the human proclivity to desire more and better even if it's unrealistic, the houses always ended up being a "McMansion" to a greater degree. The few that weren't didn't sell quick enough so the developer was getting the desired return on their investment.

Then we started seeing the fentanyl OD mess, which in and of itself doesn't tell us much other than now we're losing 6 people a day. The stats I found on it, which I think are likely somewhat suspect but regardless indicate that 5 of those will be men between the age of 20 and 59. My gut and not much else believes that the 59 year olds are outliers and it's closer to 20 to early 40's.

In a normal well functioning society, they'd be the candidates for labor jobs, both skilled and unskilled.

The big question, unanswered by the legacy media and all political parties is why such a sizable swath of our young men are more inclined towards a life of homeless hopelessness rather than becoming productive members of society.

Lastly, I'll agree with you 100% that all parties are using this as yet another wedge issue and attempting to spin it to their advantage.

Anyways, as always that's just a few thoughts on it from my perspective and nothing more.

All the best to you all and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone think Trudeau can wage an effective campaign while he is working on the completion of his world tour on our dime?

Here in Ontario Premier Ford (Conservative) has decided we need more houses so badly he is releasing lands in the supposedly protected Green Belt. I've been a staunch Conservative for years but this one has me and many others prepared to switch our party support in the next election. Politicians have always been known to be untrustworthy but this one takes the cake. Besides, they have never tried to define what an "affordable" house is. IMO if developers built what I consider to be "starter" homes today the area they are built in would become slums within 20 years.

These are more comments about the political landscape that don't necessarily deal with the OP's original topic but are things ticking me off.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was in high school more than a few decades ago, in drafting class we were given an assignment, design a three bedroom house with less than a thousand square feet. It wasn't that difficult, I have been in lots of older homes that were in that class. In the new suburbs I grew up in,during the 1950s, the homes were 1200 to 1300 square feet .The big fancy places were mostly under 2000. Those big fancy places weren't in our neighbourhood. Now look at the sizes .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Canadians still desire a single family home, not a condo or any sort of urban apartment type of housing. I remember 10 years ago driving through the Toronto suburban landscape and developers were building houses on corn fields. I’m sure since that time they have consumed thousands of acres more. This was the most productive and valuable farmland in the country.

Why not build on land designated as green space in the 1970s? Should we keep paving over farms? Canadians aren’t ready to give up the dream of owning a piece of suburbia and they will not settle for anything less than the dream of land, no matter how small a parcel has become.

I live in a rural area and cannot for one minute imagine living in any suburban environment, keep the urban and suburban landscape contained. If you want green spaces accept the cost of distance for major urban development.

Nick

IC B2

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting comments, OntarioJim eludes to "slums" and it taking 20 years to become one, I think it will become a slum in a much shorter time, but this is a fact.

I am a Carpenter, I have been avoiding getting back into construction because of the physical demands on the body, but it sure is tempting.
We never utilized our manpower that we have in this country, with minimal immigration we could of dealt with any perceived shortages, there are too many drugged out, lazy, paid to do nothing people around these days.

I sense we are going to pay for this "housing" and I don't want to.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Framing carpentry (house construction) typically relied on immigrants . Anyone with a tool pouch apron and a framing hammer could call himself a carpenter. And it showed in their work.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 09/07/23. Reason: grammer

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Framing carpentry (house construction) typically relied on immigrants . Anyone with a tool pouch apron and a framing hammer could call himself a carpenter. And it showed in their work.
A bizarre post.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bongo and Ghanji immigrate to work, but Bongo and Ghanji have no place to live, so we need Bongo and Ghanji to build these homes, but Bongo and Ghanji can't, but they can provide some labour.

Bongo and Ghanji and friends are going to vote for whoever offers the best deal, the Liberals plan will be unrealistic, the Conservatives will be forced to match it, likely won't be able to match it.

By the looks of things, Bongo doesn't really want to work and prefers to hang in gangs and continue their gang war in Canada, Ghanji is slightly better, but once free stuff comes he is lazy too. Bongo and Ghanji like to sell dope, once they get into that lifestyle, they should be deported.

Why is it the only 2 people I have ever known to be deported were from Scotland?

Bongo and Ghanji are here because of a hastily developed plan to remain in power.

Last edited by 673; 09/08/23.
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The quiet part out loud.........Bongo has a very low IQ, he can't do alot of the work required in Construction.
Many of the new employee's can't speak English or French, it won't be a problem though, they will still be able to get their EI when they are unemployed because our economy is going for a shyte, massive immigration and high unemployment coming to your Province, City/town.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The housing crisis is is only a symptom of the breakdown of our society, and this breakdown has been deliberate. We no longer have the productive entry-level jobs which used to exist. Those we do have, we are still trying to eliminate. We have stifled small business in favour of large corporations. We have taught three generations that success is measured by doing the least to get the most. We worship conspicuous consumption.
When we were first married (and after I got out of the Army), my wife and I rented an apartment which cost us one days pay per month. Later, we upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit (the second room was for reloading and gun work!) for 1 1/2 days pay. The next step was a house on seven acres for two full days pay. Mind you, today, the average welfare recipient would spit on that house. Anyway, the houses were available because people were building new houses and renting the old ones, or people were leaving the country and moving into town, or moving to another part of the country. Today, the population has more than doubled, and the old houses have been torn down. On top of that, they are being replaced with housing which is not affordable. Restrictions and regulations inhibit construction and discourage self reliance. That apartment we rented for a days pays would take at least a week worth of work to rent today. If you could even find one.
We do need to provide housing for the homeless, and that housing needs to be inside a fence where drugs are NOT supplied; where they can stay until they earn their way out. We need to quit glorifying slothfulness. We need to resume teaching that there is honour in hard work and accomplishment.
When I was young, I will admit to being less than thrilled about being drafted. After all, I had a job, I had a life, and I would just as soon have just gotten on with it. I have come to believe that every person should give two years of service to their country. In return, the country will give them two years of work to do, two years of education, and the rights of citizenship. There should be no exemptions for citizens, and it should be a requirement of all immigrants. I am willing to bet that most people would say, "I would never want to do that", or "I wouldn't want to give my time for this government", or they would have some other excuse as to why not. To which I would say, there you go. Everyone is willing to take; no one is willing to give. Rest easy though, kids; this will never happen!
We have made a real mess and the so-called housing crisis is just a small part of it. GD

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
...We do need to provide housing for the homeless...

This is just so wrong.

We don't need to provide anything. There are cheap rooms for rent to anyone who wants one. There are tent cities for those who'd prefer to spend their money on drugs.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't think you understood what I said. I said we need to provide housing where they are kept separate from the rest of society, unless and until they can become contributors to society. Otherwise, we can continue to turn our city spaces over to them; that's working real well. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What were doing for the homeless junkies is not working. It does nothing but enable them. Our town (6000 people) had a few homeless maybe 25 or so 4 years ago. 'Warming hearts' set up a soup kitchen for them. Then they brought in Atco trailers with 8 rooms in them where they could charge their phones, shower, sleep, etc. Then gov't contracted owners of an old motel to supply them rooms. Cops and ambulances there, often multiple times a day administering narcan. Ties up our police and ambulances and emergency at hospital. The thieving is out of control. Junkies fighting and tweaking out around town. Can't go to the bank machine in the evening as the banks have to lock their money machine vestibules because junkies go in there to shoot up and crap, piss and leave their needles and garbage. I could go on and on.

All these programs do is enable junkies. It has never been easier than it is today to be a fulltime career junkie with society, police, ambulances and do gooders going around picking up the pieces behind these people. Because of all the services the do gooders in our town provide the numbers of zombies has increased 5 fold in 3 years. Most of them are not from here now.

Not much different than feeding stray cats, feed them they will come. Then they will crap and piss all over your property in appreciation.

Tired of hearing how they are disavantaged victims, etc. I suppose some are but the vast majority are their of their own free will. Sick of politicians and do gooders making excuses and enabling them. Sick of the courts and gov't doing nothing but making it easier for them to get addicted, stay addicted and force society to put up with them.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't want to house the "wanting to be homeless" crowd anymore than I want to pay for housing for Bongo. I am all for doing "something" with them other than free dope and more coddling.

Friends, we have Veteran's living on the street, the last time I saw the stats on that I was shocked. Canada treats its Veterans like shyte, there is no more for our Vets. Our Veterans should come first, and that is all there is to that.

There are Native Communities all around the country, through no fault of their own, that have no water, or water that is unfit for consumption, but we are going to make housing for Bongo and Ghanji an election platform??

The Liberals created a clusterphuck and they are going to own it.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What we really are having is a "government gone wrong crisis."

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
What we really are having is a "government gone wrong crisis."
Yeah lol.

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After listening to the Politico's, and extrapolating the data, I figured out who is going to pay for this clusterphuck,..... you are.

The Feds say they will pay some, the Province will pay some, Municipality's will pay some it = YOU.
Your property tax will go up in rural area's, how much? ...whatever they decide.

With the exception of Max, I never heard one word from any of these Politico's about ....stop the immigration. Max is the only one who makes any sense whatsoever, on any issue lol.

I doubt if anything will actually get done, the only one stupid enough to "invest" is the government as any private entity won't unless they get government incentive (you again).

All these new "workers" are going to increase the need for infrastructure in every way.

Nothing for our homeless Veteran's, and nothing for the unknown number of Native communities across Canada in way of potable water.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Seems like the solution to the housing crisis and lack of family doctors could easily be resolved by importing 1 million immigrants per year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the news, the number of 3 1/2 million units needed by 2030 is being mentioned . The number is from a builders council, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.