Print Thread
Hop To
G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Before u read this Cantac in Castlegar is way too busy. I need a gunsmith to lighten the trigger pull on a Savage model 11 or a replacement trigger available in Canada not too far from Castlegar,Nelson area.Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gunbug;
Good afternoon, I hope the day a few valleys east of us is behaving and you're well.

When I looked up where one might find a Timney replacement in Canada, this one came up first.

https://alflahertys.com/timney-triggers-savage-110-631/

While I've not dealt with them that I can recall, from what I've been able to glean they're a decent outfit.

The last Timney I bought, the last several actually, were from Western Gun Parts up in Edmonton. They've been consistently good at knowing what they've got in stock and always shipped very quickly.

It's been years since I've looked at a Savage 110 trigger and recall at least one that I replaced with a Timney because the stock trigger wouldn't go as light as the owner wanted it to without being unsafe. It'd go off when the safety was released if I'm remembering which one correctly.

One could call Greg up at Corlane and ship the rifle up to him, but that's not inexpensive anymore for sure.

If Cantac can't squeeze it in, I'm not aware of a smith in that area, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

All the best to you this season and good luck with the rifle project.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thank You Dwayne I am told that I can adjust it lighter by turning a screw slightly I will try and get a drawing of the trigger and maybe try it.we r doing fine here for now had a few good rains and the weather has cooled down a lot I hope it is the same for your area.Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gunbug;
Thanks for the reply and for the update on your conditions. Good to hear for sure.

Again this is going back at least 25 odd years so if I'm remembering the wrong Savage, sorry in advance.

This one was brought to me with a decent enough trigger pull, but if you pulled the trigger hard when the safety was on, then released the safety it would sometimes fire.

When it was adjusted with enough weight so it wouldn't do that, the trigger pull was heavier than the owner wanted it.

That's not unique to the Savage either, though unfortunately the memory banks aren't telling me which other triggers did that, but it's a test I do when setting any triggers now.

As well I run the bolt fairly briskly after any adjusting as I've found that'll show some things that won't otherwise show up.

Hope that helped a wee bit, again good luck with the project and good hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunbug
Before u read this Cantac in Castlegar is way too busy. I need a gunsmith to lighten the trigger pull on a Savage model 11 or a replacement trigger available in Canada not too far from Castlegar,Nelson area.Thanks

Another exceptional Gun Smith choice in BC are Corlane Sporting Goods Ltd in Dawson Creek. They are amazing and as far as I am concerned, the best Gunsmith's in Canada.

They do all of my work, and never fail to impress.

Check out their Trigger selection:

https://www.corlanes.com/gunsmithing/custom-triggers/

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/07/23.

KB

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you are looking for a picture of your trigger group, I would look at the Brownells website.
They have a pretty good schematics area that might be of help in adjusting it yourself.
You may need to set up an account to access it but it is free. They are very well versed in what they can and cannot ship to Canada
so it is well worth shopping on the website.
Jeff

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunbug
Isn't there a gunsmith in Trail?

G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
No smith in trail and thank you all for the help.Dan

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm quite sure the Savage triggers are still adjustable for weight of pull, sear engagement, overtravel, and safety engagement. This last is important or you can end up with the situation as described by Dwayne. The trigger spring is a little on the heavy side and sear engagement adjustment can't make up for this, so the trigger has some limitations. By making a new spring and with a little semi-skilled effort, I have easily achieved a pound and a half, but consider this to be lighter than should be attempted. As is, the trigger should be adjustable to around 3 pounds and still be safe. GD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.