Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve got two Borden stocks that I’ll be listing in the classifieds over the next few weeks. Both fit a model 70 classic (post 64) receiver.

The first one the checkering has been removed, but it was done professionally and it’s had a lot of work done to it. Looks just superb.

The second is a flawless stock that just needs paint and some minor fitting.

Both right handed with 13-1/2” - 13-3/4” LOP.
I’ll get some photos up in the next week or so.

Any idea of price on these.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice. I’m assuming these are rimrocks? Like the Pacific research? Those have very nice checkering. Wondering why anyone would remove that? Also, you didn’t mention what barrel profile. Featherweight?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Standard sporter (non-magnum) barrel profiles on both.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hopefully AK chimes in on value. They are hard to find stocks with excellent ergos. If they are the rim rock/pacific research style. You and AK buy more stocks like this than anyone here, it seems. I was happy enough to find one for around $400, last year. I’d expect the average price to be more though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Here is the first one. It’s ready for paint, swivels and minor fitting to your post-64 action with sporter barrel. It has a superb profile. 13-1/2” LOP. 31OZ.

I’m asking $475 for it + $20 shipping. It’s a superb stock, that will make somebody really happy.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I was managing a project at our Anacortes refinery I always stopped by Kesselring's. They often had them (Pacific Research) for sale. Quality build and did just feel right. I seem to recall a lighter weight version?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'll take this stock.

Check your PMs.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EdM
When I was managing a project at our Anacortes refinery I always stopped by Kesselring's. They often had them (Pacific Research) for sale. Quality build and did just feel right. I seem to recall a lighter weight version?
Quite a bit of variation. I’ve weighed them as light as 24 oz and as heavy as 32 oz. Any with the camo patterns tend to be heavier.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by EdM
Quite a bit of variation. I’ve weighed them as light as 24 oz and as heavy as 32 oz. Any with the camo patterns tend to be heavier.

Do the Pacific Research stocks vary like that? The one I have on my 300WBY is pretty light. Probably around 27 oz's.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lightest PR I have is 24 and change. Heaviest PR is 30 (camo). But most are close to yours at 26-28. A borden takes the cup at 32. I should have specified.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’m not really a huge synthetic stock guy where my Model 70’s are concerned but have been planning to put one together for hunting Western Oregon or other rainy places. A .270 or .30-06 probably.

I had never heard of these Borden stocks but they sure look nice!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Lightest PR I have is 24 and change. Heaviest PR is 30 (camo). But most are close to yours at 26-28. A borden takes the cup at 32. I should have specified.

Thanks AK. Good info. I will say that I think okie john got a great stock at a great price. From what I've heard, the Borden's don't have as nice of checkering as the Pacific Research. I was looking at Sako's stock and whoever did the body work did a good job. I was messing around with one of my Brown PoundR's yesterday. The one on my 300WBY had a couple blemishes that got to my OCD. Lightweight body filler and glazing putty, a little sand paper and paint goes a long way.

As for the Pacific Research, they are in no way comparable to the kevlar poundR, but they do have great ergo's. Pretty stiff stocks that feel good in the hands and when shouldered. The one thing that always stuck out at me, though, is the checkering panels. I really like the design they are known for:

Anyone wanting to build a nice rifle, won't be going wrong by using one of these stocks. I'm surprised Sako is gettting rid of them.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 4 rifles that wear them and really like their feel. For a large caliber or man with large hands I slightly prefer the Echols McMillan and I believe they are still available.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
I have 4 rifles that wear them and really like their feel. For a large caliber or man with large hands I slightly prefer the Echols McMillan and I believe they are still available.

Good insight Phil. I always thought the Pacific Research looked similar to the Mcmillan Echols legend. Or maybe even the bridges pattern.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,605
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.