Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They're too damned tough to just cook them without tenderizing. At least to me. I soak them in a freezer bag full of salt water for half a day, then in some water and vinegar for a couple hours. I usually put them whole on the grill and baste them with some olive oil and seasoned with garlic salt. Or just BBQ them on the grill like a piece of chicken. Or cut off the meat and my wife will throw them in a pot pie crust with veggies and make a pot pie. The latter is my favorite but probably the way I do it the least. Just about any way you cook chicken you can cook these. IMO, the trick is to get them tenderized first.

I've tried butter milk for tenderizing but butter milk seems very harsh. I ruined a few by making them completley unapetizing after taking them out of butter milk and seeing the mess it made.

I am going to head out tomorrow. It's supposed to be cool and dry and sunny. I'm taking my .410 this time.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/12/23.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hey 10glocks, have you ever tried a crock pot for squirrel? I have not, but the squirrels out here are tender enough for me. Alan

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got out this afternoon with the HW100S; the wind was blowing some making it hard to see movement in the trees and there was a lot of little birds hopping around harvesting acorns too but I managed to get three. Not great pictures as it was dark thirty.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have tried a crock pot. Just not in t long time. May have to try that again.

I went out today a few hours. The woods are still green and only the very tops of the tallest trees are showing any signs of color change. It was in the mid 70s toady and humidity was low, but the mosquitoes were out in force. And those big Ord Weaver spiders are everywhere.

I only ended up with two, again. And they were kinda small. There was some activity early in the morning but by about 10:30 am of so, it was pretty quiet. Saw a few more out in the distance, and it was pretty clear they were active in the tree tops, but with the understory so thick, it's hard to see up high. We need our first frost to get the leaves falling and to kill off the mosquitoes.

First blood for my new Browning BPS .410.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I killed these with #6 3" rounds, and it made me remember why I hate anything smaller than #4 for squirrels. I shot the first one at about 15 yards and he was so peppered with shot all four legs were broken. Luckily, most of the shot passed through.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/13/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What choke on the 410??

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The standard FULL that came with it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I haven't used a shotgun in a while. I loaded my own shells, 12 gauge, one ounce of fives at 1165 fps. All pass throughs and low recoil in my double. I hate shot in the meat too.

Last edited by Phillip_Nesmith; 10/13/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like #5's for squirrels for that very reason, less shot in the shell and it passes completely through so there is less shot in the meat. I have a little 1968 Beretta 20 gauge SxS 28" choked Mod & Full that should be a squirrel-killing machine. Just for kicks, I'm going to take it out the next time I go.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's one sweet looking shotgun, MOCG.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No 5's are excellent, that's all my late Dad used for squirrels. He used No 6's for rabbits.

That is a sweet double....

Last edited by JB in SC; 10/14/23.
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I went out today a few hours. The woods are still green and only the very tops of the tallest trees are showing any signs of color change. It was in the mid 70s toady and humidity was low, but the mosquitoes were out in force. And those big Ord Weaver spiders are everywhere.

I only ended up with two, again. And they were kinda small. There was some activity early in the morning but by about 10:30 am of so, it was pretty quiet. Saw a few more out in the distance, and it was pretty clear they were active in the tree tops, but with the understory so thick, it's hard to see up high. We need our first frost to get the leaves falling and to kill off the mosquitoes.

I killed these with #6 3" rounds, and it made me remember why I hate anything smaller than #4 for squirrels. I shot the first one at about 15 yards and he was so peppered with shot all four legs were broken. Luckily, most of the shot passed through.

Tip!----Don't shoot squirrels at 15 Yds!!!

Hip

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wife made a squirrel pot pie yesterday afternoon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hipshoot

Tip!----Don't shoot squirrels at 15 Yds!!!

Hip

It can be done with a tight shooting gun and holding out just on the tip of the squirrel's nose when broadside. Only the edge of the tightly clustered ball of shot will hit the squirrel in the head. Shot like that, the squirrel won't have any shot in the body. Gotta be broadside though, otherwise, you'll blow the heck out of them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dang, that looks good!

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MOGC

Dang, that looks good!

Yes it does ! I need to try that .

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I LOVE me some squirrel pot pie..I make a couple every year.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Man that pot pie looks good. I haven’t had squirrel pot pie in years, might have to look that up. When I take a shotgun I use low brass #4’s. Pretty much same for rabbit. As others said, less pellets and they are bigger so tend to pass through.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pot pie do be looking mighty fine!
Yesterday eve hunt..

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Yesterday eve hunt..

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Yesterday eve hunt..

What are the details on the rifle and scope?

β€œGo afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,568
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.