-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hanco I have been doing this for 45 years I think you are a bit short on your pay, I know you do other stuff for him but your work ain't to shabby . the place I have worked for the last 35 years charge 125 an hour I do 100 an hour on my own time

GB1

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 44mc
hanco I have been doing this for 45 years I think you are a bit short on your pay, I know you do other stuff for him but your work ain't to shabby . the place I have worked for the last 35 years charge 125 an hour I do 100 an hour on my own time

If it were someone else, it be 2000.00. I’ve been on leases with him, vacations with our families, wives went to college together. I’m gonna have to help him put it up. He would have built it out of wood, have helped him put up contraptions he has built. Building the platform will save me grief in the long run I think. We are losing the lease in January, so I’ll have to help take it down too.

It gives me something to occupy my time for a few days. That’s good for an old timer like me. This will probably be the last. I’m 70, don’t see me building another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good call on your end, some people are worth helping

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kinda reminds me of the pictures of the outhouse at Schtick house he posted a number of years ago....

no hole in the ground, he just built the platform to get away from the stink on the ground when he was taking a dump.

Talented man that little midget is......

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
seafire that is some funny chit right there

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How is your liability insurance Hanco? A problem that I see is building something for someone else that they can fall off of or collapse because of a bad piece of steel.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Windfall
How is your liability insurance Hanco? A problem that I see is building something for someone else that they can fall off of or collapse because of a bad piece of steel.

I’ve never considered that.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Built base this afternoon after doctors visit, have arthritis in my spine. It’s been bothering me for a month. It could be worse. My old workshop ain’t much, have new metal to put on it soon.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 09/12/23.
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Got landing and handrail done this AM, had lunch to go to, bunch of damn errands to do this afternoon. I have 8 hours in this thang so far. Big chance of rain the next 3 days. Got doc appointments next two days, had hoped to have this thang done by Friday in-spite of all that. We will see.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’m a certified structural welder myself. Red seal jman in Canada, CWB ticketed.
I’m going to assume you’re not an engineer? That being said you must over build it to ensure everyone’s safety. That increases your material costs. By the looks of your shop, I’m going to assume your welding skills are acceptable for this type of work? Welding process will dictate welding time frame. Mig is the fastest which equates in lowest cost to do the job. Stick will be slower. The steel will require a corrosion/rust protection. Will you be painting it also?

IC B3

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by snoeproe
I’m a certified structural welder myself. Red seal jman in Canada, CWB ticketed.
I’m going to assume you’re not an engineer? That being said you must over build it to ensure everyone’s safety. That increases your material costs. By the looks of your shop, I’m going to assume your welding skills are acceptable for this type of work? Welding process will dictate welding time frame. Mig is the fastest which equates in lowest cost to do the job. Stick will be slower. The steel will require a corrosion/rust protection. Will you be painting it also?

Not an engineer, maybe an Afro Engineer, certified on pipe several times when the job required it. I’m a stick guy, wish I had a wire machine lots of times. I’m gonna rattle can paint it. I do tend to over build, I’ve never had anything fail…..yet. I be a damn plumber- pipe fitter, welding is an off shoot of that. Operating a backhoe is my best skill, but I didn’t like sitting on one all day, day after day. I worked in the office detailing plumbing and AC piping for a year. I hated that too, had to quit to get out of that damn office.

Last edited by hanco; 09/14/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Hard call.
Friend? Acquaintance? Stranger?

Doing it for money? Something to do, that you enjoy?
Something that you see as a PITA, but don't want to say No!

A friend? Does he have skills, willingness to reciprocate in kind?

$1k sounds cheap if it's for money.
$40/hr including your electricity, and filler.

Reasonable if it's a paying hobby.

Maybe expensive if for a friend.

Too expensive if it's for a friend who will come over and help you when you need it.

Too cheap if you'd rather not.

This is the correct answer

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Hard call.
Friend? Acquaintance? Stranger?

Doing it for money? Something to do, that you enjoy?
Something that you see as a PITA, but don't want to say No!

A friend? Does he have skills, willingness to reciprocate in kind?

$1k sounds cheap if it's for money.
$40/hr including your electricity, and filler.

Reasonable if it's a paying hobby.

Maybe expensive if for a friend.

Too expensive if it's for a friend who will come over and help you when you need it.

Too cheap if you'd rather not.

This is the correct answer

I think you are right, charging him 1200.00, still cheap compared to quotes he got. About 1/2 price, probably have 2000.00 with parts, metal is very expensive.

Last edited by hanco; 09/15/23.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The cluster joints on the bottom brace looks like you might do airframe work? Looks good!!

Dave
Life Member NRA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hanco, your work looks great. Definitely over built compared to what it available on line or at a local store. As all ready mentioned, most everything is cheap light weight Chinese steel. I think your price for labor is more than fair for a friend/hunting buddy. He is getting a deal. If it were a stranger your finished product would be worth double what you are doing it for.
Good for you for helping out a friend. I'm sure he knows what it is worth and appreciates what you are doing for him.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by FLPanhandle
The cluster joints on the bottom brace looks like you might do airframe work? Looks good!!

Thank you, that is landing for the ladder, it’s upside down. I will build the ladder, then weld brackets for the ladder to it. It’s fun building this, probably the last one I will build. I’ve built a dozen through the years, plus tripods out the ass. I prefer 4x4 foot. This was in thick woods until they clear cut around it. This one built in 85. I always weld date on them.

Short one, 8 feet

Another short one, built out of scrap

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
hanco I like these projects and watching them so keep the pictures coming. If I were your neighbor I'd give you some help in the work.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim1611
hanco I like these projects and watching them so keep the pictures coming. If I were your neighbor I'd give you some help in the work.

I like pics of other guys projects too. This is a jig thang I made in 82 to get the legs in the correct angle. I was gonna put legs on today, but had eyes dilated this morning. I think I will until tomorrow. I cut the legs 3/8 out of square. That gets me close on a good fit where it’s welded on base. When I get legs and braces welded on frame I’ll stand it up, complete bottom and side braces, lay it on side, paint it, fug it I’m done. Then I’ll haul it up there, help put the stand on it, pull it up. You’ve heard of “ shade tree mechanic “. I be a shade tree builder of bullcshit. That Oak tree has helped me build a lot of things through the years. It’s fugged up three cars that I recall. I hit it with vette, Wifey dinged her car, mother in law got hers too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If this helps -

[Linked Image]

8 foot 4x4 from TExas Hunter products - they want $1700 for it. ON SALE - no idea what delivery might cost.

Hanco, I am surprised the roof held up. I added a corrugated bit of tin over my 4x4 to keep rain off the door and was told it would want to tear off. I poo pooe' the thought but sure did. Only over hangs a few inches but wind was ripping it off the original flat roof.
I solved by putting some straps on the end s and tying off to the sides.

Last edited by kenjs1; 09/15/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by kenjs1
If this helps -

[Linked Image]

8 foot 4x4 from TExas Hunter products - they want $1700 for it. ON SALE - no idea what delivery might cost.

Hanco, I am surprised the roof held up. I added a corrugated bit of tin over my 4x4 to keep rain off the door and was told it would want to tear off. I poo pooe' the thought but sure did. Only over hangs a few inches but wind was ripping it off the original flat roof.
I solved by putting some straps on the end s and tying off to the sides.

Cheap tin won’t get it, will tear off, start flapping, drive you nuts. The old time heavy American made tin will hold up. That’s what is on those two old stands. I sold them when paper company let timber cutter take hunting over. Some of those guys had been on there 40 to 60 years. The man I’m building this platform for was on there 44 years. I was a newbie at 15.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,571 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,985
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.