24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mohave Offline OP
OP Offline
I am new to casting and new to this forum. I hope I am not bringing up something that has already been beaten to death.

I just bought a new Lee melting pot, which is their largest production pot with the bottom spout. It seems to do a very good job, but the bottom spout seems to drip a lot. I have tried adjusting the height of the valve pin, but find the only way to stop the dripping is to turn the valve pin a little. What am I doing wrong or is there something else I should be doing?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Lyman pot and the dripping problem is one of the reasons I quit using the bottom spout and use a dipper. In addition, I found that there was so much head pressure that lead was squirting around where I didn't want it instead of just in the mould sprue holes. I guess you are not supposed to put the mould up tight against the spout when opening the valve. Using a dipper also allows me to control the amount of sprue that remains on the top of the mould.

Rolly
Mohave Offline OP
OP Offline
Rolly,
Thank you for the advice. I think I will try casting some out the top. I did at test today and ran my pot a lot cooler than normal, but I ran my mould much hotter than normal. I got better bullets and it dripped far less.

Gentlemen, I too have a Lee production pot bottom pour spout.

Try reducing your thermostat tempreture slightly until the dripping stops, but you will want to have the temp hot enough to maintain good casting.

This has worked for me...hope it works for you.

Note: I am hearing terrible reports of newer bullet castors becoming ill from lead poisoning...some even dying from it.

All folks new to bullet casting should maintian a well ventilated area with fan to blow lead fumes away from the castor and to an outside area, preferably a garage or outside area.

Wear leather gloves while casting, this will prevent you from being burned from splatters, never allow water to get into the hot lead pot...it will erupt with terrible consequences.

When reloading with cold cast bullets it would be wise to wear nylon skin tight gloves...these look like hospital rubber gloves but are cheap and disposable...avoid contact with the lead bullets.

When shooting, use cast bullets at only outdoor ranges unless indoor facilities have approved adequate ventilation.

Sorry to sound like a know it all, but this increase in folks succuming to lead poisoning is really alarming.

Best regards...

44and45

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 43 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.