Print Thread
Hop To
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been swamped with life the past few months and just now getting caught up.

A number of changes for my friends in Botswana this year. First, my friend Gerhard Koch of Koch Safaris, who was the PH and General Manager of the Saas Post Game Farm in the south end of the Tuli block, was offered a seriously good position as the Head PH and GM of a multi-million acre dangerous game concession on the northern boarder between Botswana and the Namibian Caprivi Stirp. Serious step up for him and I'm very, very happy for him. With Gerhard no longer running Saas Post as of last year, the land owner has turned it over to one of his son's to run. Unfortunately, he's using it as a private hunting lodge for just he and his friends now and not open to other hunters. This started the middle of last year (2022).

Seeing the writing on the wall and an open opportunity for two neighboring game farms and two long time friends of Gerhard's and more recently mine, Kevin Nell, owner of Darnaway Game Farm and Wim Biemond, owner of Basslinghall Game Farm. This past Aug (2022) I was there and between helping Gerhard for a couple of days on an elephant hunt, I spent 10-days hunting again with Kevin and Wim on there respective properties. I've hunted with them and on their properties multiple times before. Here is a link to the Aug 2022 Hunt Report

Knowing that Gerhard was leaving Saas Post and seeing the opportunity for Kevin and Wim to fill the void of Saas Post closing, we started "making a plan" to get their properties opened up to internarial trophy and game management hunters. Prior to this, Kevin and Wim were just catering to local Botswana and RSA biltong/meat hunters. They both offered "self-catering" lodging facilities and basic game prep and cold meat storage. For those who may not be familiar with what "self-catering" means, here what it is. The clients are provided shelter, beds, cooking pots/pans, toilet/shower facilities. The clients are responsible for bring their own bed linins, towels, toiletries, food and drink. They do there own cooking, cleaning and game dressing/butchering. In Kevin's case, he has a small complex of elevated chalets on the bank of the Limpopo river. Wim has a small 2BR cabin next to his main homestead. Hunters or small hunting parties would just come for a weekend, take a few head and be gone. Either Kevin or Wim or one of their workers accompany the hunters to make sure they only take management/meet animals and not just going around shooting/wounding animals arbitrarily. What this has resulted in over the years are very serious quality trophy animals. Why? Because the biltong/meet hunters aren't willing to pay trophy quality fees just to get meat. So.....this gives you a bit of background on how this is getting started.

Where are they located?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Above is a general map of Botswana. The capital city is Gaborone. This is where you'll fly into. The area in red on the eastern boarder with RSA is the old Saas Post farm. It is about a 2 1/2 hr. drive from the airport on all blacktop road to the farm gates. Darnaway Farm is on the northern boarder of Sass Post and Bassinghall Farm is on the northern boarder of Darnaway. The map below shows the approximate property boarders and sizes.

Kevin and Wim have been busy getting everything in order to start formally taking international hunters. Part of this is making sure they properly transition from "self-catering" to traditionally safari "fully catered". Meaning, full lodging, meals, daily laundry service, daily maid service, all food and drinks (beer, soft and hard), all inclusive and no hidden costs. While "technically" RSA biltong hunters are "international", it's not considered the same as hunters from the Americas or Europe. I just got there final price lists late last week and I'm posting below. One thing you'll notice is their daily rates and cull/management species rates are the same. They do have different trophy fees in some cases based on availability either on their farms or possibly additional neighboring farms. The point being that you can "book" with either one and be able to hunt both farms on the same trip and hunt with both Kevin and Wim.

Here are their respective prices:

As always, I am NOT a booking agent. Yes, I am listed as their "US Contact" because I help answer any and all questions I can and also help a booked client make travel arrangements and do the paperwork for rifle import permits etc. BY ALL MEANS, you are more than welcome to contact them directly as well. I DO NOT handle any money. You deal directly with them.

I am going back again this year at the end of August for 14-full days of hunting. Tentatively departing on or about 21 or 22 Aug, three calendar days of travel there (overnight flight to Jberg, overnight there and into Bots the 3rd day and be on the property before lunch) and start the first full hunting day the next morning. After 14 full days, we'll fly home and that will take two calendar days as well (overnight flight from Jberg to the US) so, figure 20 or 21 days total.

As of today, I have two confirmed first time Africa hunters going and have room for one more. Two will stay at Kevin's and two of us will stay at Wim's. We'll swap properties and PH's every day or two so you can mix it up. I am personally only going to shoot management/culls again. The two guys going with are planning some management and some trophies too.

If you want to make the trip alone or with a friend, by all means, please do. Again feel fee to contact them directly for available dates. if you book I will do everything I can to assist with travel plans and arrangements and documents you'll need. This is there first season for international hunters. There maybe a hiccup or two along the way but, they are very good people and will bust their coconuts to show you the best time they can while you're there.

Michael

GB1

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Quick update.....

The last, 4th spot, for this year's trip is confirmed and our group is full.

This still means if anyone else is considering going this year, they are still more than welcome to contact Kevin or Wim and make a trip on their own.

We've booked on Delta from Tampa to Jberg, overnighting in the City Lodge Hotel there in the terminal complex and into Gaborone the next day (3rd travel day) on SA Airlink. We should be "in camp" early afternoon.

If anyone does decide to make the trip, I'll be more than happy to help you sort out the travel plans and help with the gun permits in Jberg for the transit and also the temp import permits for Bots.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Here is an interesting opportunity. Wim was invited to a world-wide archeological conference being held at the University of Texas, Houston campus in early June. Not just to attend but, to give a lecture on his studies of Botswana archeology.

I just booked his tickets for him and after the conference ends, he's coming to Tampa to stay with us for a few days. It's his first time in the US.

I've got a nice little itinerary of things to do with him and one of those is taking him to the Bradenton Bass Pro Shop/Outdoor World on Jun 10th and lunch with the guys going on the trip this Aug. I don't have the exact time or place for lunch yet but, it will be a steakhouse near Bass Pro. If there is anyone in the Tampa/Orlando area that would like to join and meet him and ask any questions about his farm/ranch in Bots, Bots archeological history or astronomy (he has a Masters in this) or just enjoy his humor and stories it will be a good time.

PM me if anyone has any definite interest.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
CORRECTION NOTICE: A member here, whose hunting the Saas Post property and has hunted with Kevin and Wim on their respective farms, emailed me yesterday that he tried to email Wim at his email address on the handbill and it kept bouncing back as "undeliverable". Turns out the "i" and the "e" at the beginning are transposed. Not sure whose fat fingered this in correctly (probably mine). I have changed/corrected the handbill that I can email out but, I can't delete the one posted above so....IF anyone wants to contact Wim Biemond at Basinghall Farm directly his correct email address is:

biemondwimgmail.com

His cell phone number is correct and is the same number you can use to text or call him directly for free on the WhatsApp messaging app. IF you call, please remember they are 6hrs AHEAD of US east coast time and cell service is very spotty in his area. WhatsApp text or voice messages and email are primary.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just now got home and realized I posted the below info to the wrong thread. That's what I get for posting before I have any coffee and trying to rush out the door. Sorry for my confusion. Anyway......

One of our group of four going on this trip MAY have to cancel due to an unexpected death in the family and the resulting expenses. He's still not sure either way. So....with the time getting a bit short, I've decided to post up an extra spot if someone would be interested in going. The hard dates already locked in are as follows:

Depart the US on 19 Aug 2023 on Delta via Atlanta
Arrive Jberg on 20 Aug and overnight at the City Lodge Hotel in the airport complex.
Depart Jberg on 21 Aug for Gaborone Bots at 9am on SA Airlink and arrive in Gabs at 10am. We'll be "in camp" just after lunch and in time to eat, unpack a little, check rifles and still get in a late afternoon orientation hunt.

This is a full 14 hunting days, with the arrival and departure days added on each end.

Depart for the US on 5 Sep 2023 and be back in the US early morning of the 6th. Depending on where from Atlanta you're traveling home to, you'll still be home that same day.

IF anyone is interested in going PM me and I'll give you the exact flight dates, times and flt numbers to see if you can still get seats. IF it turns out the fourth guy still can go, you can still make it too. We'll just make it a 5'some instead of a 4'some.

Anyone with questions or wanting more details, PM me your phone number and a good date/time to call and kick it around.

IC B2

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Quick Update.......

Unfortunately, the 4th person on this trip had to cancel due to the above mentioned family situation. He is MOST definitely in on next years' trip. General plan for that is similar dates in late Aug-early Sep and same places with Kevin & Wim's farms. So......

That definitely leaves a spot oven for this year. Time is a bit short but still doable based on airline seat availability. You're not required to fly the same route/airline (Delta), but you need to be in Jberg the same night and the same SA Airlink flt the next morning to Gaborone.

If anyone is in the Tampa/Orlando general area, I'll be set up again at the Lakeland Florida gunshow at the Sun & Fun Fly-in facilities this weekend (20-21 May). Happy to meet anyone and we can discuss this trip or anything Africa hunting related as you'd like. Space is along the wall and you can't miss the sign.

Also, Wim is still on track to visit my wife and I for a few days starting 7 June. Current plan is to take him to the Bass Pro Shop (10501 Palm River Rd, Tampa, FL 33619) on Sat, 10 June to meet the guys going for couple of hours. We'll be there when the doors open at 9am and be in the little lounge area just inside the entrance. Same thing, anyone interested in meeting Wim and asking questions are more then welcome to join. Going to let him see the place and do a little shopping for himself then going someplace close for lunch.

Michael

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
One more quick update for the weekend.......

Kevin's been busy renovating the camp and sent me a couple of photos.

These two are just the camp site in general......

This is obviously the "braai" area. On the left you can see were the tent area begin and to the right is the bank of the Limpopo river. Behind, from where he is standing taking the photo from is the main cooking and kitchen tents

This is the access road coming into camp.

These are two of the five new tents he's put in. They are set up with two twin bed cots and the showers/toilets (ablution area) are on the far left of the photo. The other three tents are set up to make an "L" pattern on the other side of the ablution area. Each client on this trip will have their own tent. Granted, they are not the "traditional" classic safari style tents of legend but, his primary business has been catering to just local or RSA weekend biltong hunters.

You'll notice the tents are on elevated platforms. This is to keep them above the normal rainy season flood levels so he doesn't have to dismantle and reassemble the camp every year. If he had fixed lodge/bungalows, they'd be flooded out every year and require extensive, difficult and expensive repairs every season. As it is right on the river, also keeps the occasional croc and hippo from trying to bunk with you. Occasionally, there are Limpopo Bushbuck that wander thru the camp too.

The water for showers/toilets is pumped out of the river and not drinkable. He supplies all bottled water for that and the cooking.

For those unfamiliar with these, this is a "water donkey" wood fired water heater. It's next to the shower area. Normally, they are enclosed in bricks to retain heat better so what you are seeing is the core of the unit. I told him it looks like he's installed a jet afterburner on this one!!

The game you take will not be processed here in camp. If you shoot it on Kevin's place or Wim's place, the game will be skinned/processed and put into cold rooms at their respective main houses. While there are no lions in the area, there are still leopard and hyena's so it's best to keep the meat processing away from the camp facilities.

As of today, the remaining two clients will be hunting 2x1 and I'm now hunting 1x1. IF someone can make this on such short notice, I'll be happy to hunt with you 2x1 and let you do the bulk of the shooting or you can hunt 1x1 also, your choice.

Granted, it may not be as fancy as some of the lodges in RSA but, you'll still have the customary daily maid and laundry service, terrific food prepared from what you actually shoot, good cold local beers, wine and liquors around the braai in the evening etc. I can promise you for certain, it will be damn hard to find many places that you will be this close to nature in Africa.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man I wish I could go this year.

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Last Update Before the trip.....

Wim's trip went as planned/scheduled. This was his first trip to the US. He gave his archeological presentation at the world wide SAFA archeological conference at Rice University. The university had a good schedule of events and activities for attendees. One of which was a daytrip to Houston Space Center that fed is astronomy love.

He arrived in Tampa late afternoon on the 7th (Wed) and only event was for sunset dinner at Spinners Roof Top Cafe.

Thursday morning I wanted to feed his archeological side, so took him to Shelby Botanical Gardens, near Sarasota. Took him down I-275 and over the Skyway Bridge. The big draw at Shelby Gardens for him are the ancient Indian shell mound middens dating back some 5000+ years. Had organized a private tour for him with the Curator/Director of the site. He was gracious enough to spend about 2 hrs with us. Very interesting things to see with the main "dig" being a 20" high shell mount that was bisected with a sheet of glass and you could see the various layers of shells, fish and animal bones. The curator said that 5000 yrs ago, the water level was conceivably lower and based on other digs they've done on site, likely extend upto another 10' down below the current tide lines. Could of curious things Wim noted to the Curator was that several pieces of the pottery they had on display and had carbon dated back some 4000 yrs, had VERT similar etched markings that Wim has found/cataloged in various parts of southern African counties. Anyway.....

Came back and hit a winery in S. St. Pete (Orange Grove Winery) that specialized in "non-grape" wines. As Wim was there "first ever" customer from Botswana (had to explain to her where that was) the pours during the "tasting" were......generous. Ended up buy a mixed case for us with some for Wim to take home. Dinner that night was at a local Italian joint that "had" a bit of a history of catering the the "made men from the north" in years past. Besides, they do some killer seafood dishes.

Friday was an very early morning, 4am start. Picked up two teenage cousins and we all drove over to Kennedy Space Center for the day. We all had a terrific time. Wim kept saying he couldn't believe he was actually there. Was a long day and we stayed to closing and then the long drive back. Late dinner at Cody's Roadhouse Grill. Yea...a chain steak joint but, this place serves a killer fillet mignon for a VERT reasonable price and was open late.

Saturday, we drove over to the Bass Pro shop in Brandon to meet the guys coming over in Aug. They got to ask Wim questions and we walked thru the store and he gave them some pointers on kit to NOT bring. Needless to say, he was astonished at the place and the fish tank and ALL the stuff. The prices were a HUGE eye opener for him too. Lunch was a local BBQ joint close by and back home for a change of clothes and then got him to the beach for a couple of hours to see the "sites" LOL. We had dinner reservation at Texas de Brazil in Tampa that evening and one of the guys coming in Aug (Chris) was able to join us. Wim was a bit long in the pockets as he had been running on 110% and sensory overload since he'd landed 10-days before. I told him that was how a client feels when they come. They are running on the adrenalin/excitement starting a few days before the trip, then the LONG flight/travel over etc. and we all kind of "hit the wall" the 3rd/4th day in camp. Still had some great food and a terrific time.

Sunday morning was a late wake-up as the only plans for that day were to go up to Clearwater to the Island Way Grill (on the intercoastal water front) for their terrific Sunday brunch. After that it was back to the house and to the airport and home for him.

We all had a terrific time and his stories, as always, were epic funny. Hope he can come back again some day. Anyway.......

We fly out on 19 Aug. Tickets - check. Passports - check. Hotel reservations in Jberg - check. Rifle permit documents completed/submitted - check. Packing - started.

Unless someone askes any questions, this will be the last post I make until we get back after Labor Day weekend. After I get caught up, I'll post up a trip report and have photos of the camp and the hunt etc.

Already have "a plan" for similar departure date in Aug 2024 for a 10-day hunt and back before Labor Day 2024. Have two slots already tentatively spoken for and will take two more - max.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just returned a few days ago and busy playing catch-up and getting over jet lag. Great trip overall and lots of fun. Both guys I took over were first time hunters as well as first time to Africa. Several days in, they were already asking when I was coming back as they wanted to do it again. Short answer is, Aug 2024. It will be a 15 total day trip with 10 full hunting days centered over the dark of the moon. Already have two spots spoken for and one MAYBE two more.

Will have detailed report and photos posted up in a few weeks once I catch up with "life".

IC B3

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
At the gun show in Lakeland FL this weekend. If you're in the area come by and we can discuss this year's trip and the general plan for 2024.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.