Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Tock a couple of bows with me to Africa. Just go back.

Shot my second buff with a bow. All cutting tracks and spot & stalk. No blinds/pan shooting bullshit.

All credit goes to William, our tracker, whose skills are simply non human........

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow! A big, well deserved congratulations on your taking African game with a bow!

Africa has been on my fantasy list of hunts for me since the 1960’s, though with rifle and handgun! You certainly have my respect! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Which country?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar
Which country?

So, are you up to date on your boosters and new Covid jab you lying stupidasss?

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
By the looks of the Lion, I'd say south Africa

Hang on tight !
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very well done Sir! Did a bowhunting safari in 08 to Botswana.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congratulations!

Do you use the same arrows & broad heads for African Big game as you would on North American Big game? What equipment is recommended by the outfitters? Or better yet, what equipment is frowned on or not allowed?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice job and congrats

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Which country?

So, are you up to date on your boosters and new Covid jab you lying stupidasss?

Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this post. I leave in 4 days for the Caprivi via Doha, Joberg, and Kasane, then drive into Namibia. I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.
)

The virus is now ubiquitous and will remain so forever. It isn’t going away. The days of worrying about travelers spreading it are gone. All one can do now if you want to travel outside the US is follow the rules, whether it is vax or testing prior to arrival. Right now you must have a negative Covid test to re-enter the US but that regulation is expected to be lifted in the near future. Brother Raider believes the vax does no good and is dangerous. Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

Thanks for another totally off topic comment from my personal cyber stalker…..You’re nothing if not predictable.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
RSA Northwest Province.

Lion & buff: PSE Levitate @75#, Sirius Apollo 200, Cutthroat 250 gr, 200 gr half sleeve & 75gr HIT- TAW 912gr.

Plains game: PSE Mach 34 @ 70#, GT Airstrike 300, VPA 3 blade 150gr, 75gr HIT- TAW 502gr.

I would use that PG set up for all N.A. hunting, including brown bears. As confirmed by outfitters is all you need, though the heavy arrow would be a better choice as you can take any shot with it (I have had bad luck with bears- only 40%).

Done the wild lion thing- while it was the most magical hunt I've ever had, the actual shooting of the lion over bait has lost most of its luster after having stalked one on foot (20y, 30y and 30y).

Same with the buffalo- never really had any interest in shooting one. My first was with a 3-7-5 H&H for said lion bait. Killed 2 birds with one stone- got a buff but more important got some bait. My second was fun as it was with my 500 NE after I got an ele, so we stalked to within 40y for that one.

Nothing, I mean nothing is as exciting as hunting buffalo with a bow. Makes shooting them with telescopic sights rather mundane (and I do not mean that in any disparaging manner at all, that's just how I feel- same for shooting a lion over bait). All I'm gonna do til I can't walk any more.

PS And this lion is from where?

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 09/19/23.
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Magnificent trophies!!!! I understand your thoughts, I hadn't killed anything with a rifle in many many years until going on safari just recently. I would love to hunt buffalo with a bow but I don't think I can draw much more than my 55# without causing flare up in a shoulder issue. I haven't been able to find anyone who could change my setup that thought I could get enough KE to take such a beast. My 416 dispatched my first buffalo at 35 yds on my recent safari and that was an adrenalin rush like I didn't think I could get with a rifle again, but I did!!! Congrats on all the fine trophies........stalking those beasts with bow has to be the pinnacle.

2 Tim 2:15
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Doc, go with a crossbow. That's my plan. I had an accident and I'm all messed up. Congratulations to the op. That is a proper piggy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,897
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.