Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
What are everyones thoughts on a Howa Mini in 300 HAM'R ? I have a Mini in .223 and have considered having it rebarreled to another cartridge. 6x45 was my first thought but why not something a little bit bigger such as the 300 HAM'r. Might be a fun short range hog rifle.

NRA Endowment Member
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 6 ARC and hold The Fluff. Hint…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I have an AR in the 300 Ham’r, and it’s a great round for the use you describe, or deer. I wouldn’t hesitate to put one together. I’m generally pushing 125-130s to 2400 or a little over. With the right bullet it should do well. If the mini’s mag can take over 2.26” long rounds, you’ll likely get a little more performance, assuming you can seat to the lands.

Old70

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If a small, handy bolt action with time proven 30-30 ballistics fills a need (or want), I'd say go for it.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys, i'm thinking hard on it.

Originally Posted by Big Stick

Im concerned that there might not be enough meat on the bolt to open it up to the proper bolt face. If so, that would be a great idea.

NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Point is was,to drive it as issued. Hint.

Or if you must,simply go 7.62x39 over the counter,in the same parcel. Hint.

Esoteric Proprietary Goat [bleep] don’t connect dots. Hint…………

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 300 HAMR. It’s a Wilson Combat build on an AR upper. It’s great for quick follow up shots on deer size or pig size game, where there’s a high volume of rounds in a short period, requiring rapid reloads.

I am at a loss to understand why you would build a bolt rifle to duplicate something that a lever action 30/30 already does very, very well.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Love my 300 hamr. Mine is an 18 inch AR with a LW barrel. Has become my favorite AR. Hammers pigs and my girls like it for deer.

The Speer 130 Hot cor is imho the perfect bullet for it. I get 2494 out of my 18 inch with a pretty standard load. Sighted it in at 150. Hold dead on to 200 and a 6 high at 225 and 9 at 250. After that it starts dropping like a stone and doesn’t have much juice left.

I love my 223 Howa mini but could easily see it in the 300 hamr. As far as comparing it to 7.62x39 they do a lot of the same things. I have never had much luck accuracy with that caliber.

My Wilson barreled AR will do 5 right in a bit an inch at 100 and weighs 7lbs 4 ozs with a 2-7 VXR in an aero mount and 5 rds in the mag.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by asheepdog

Im concerned that there might not be enough meat on the bolt to open it up to the proper bolt face. If so, that would be a great idea.

You can take a look at the 6mm Max by BC Precision. It has similar case capacity as the 6 ARC, but uses the .350 L as the parent case. I think it is a flawed cartridge for the AR-15, but might work in the Mini. I don't know your magazine constraints in the mini.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2.475” COAL ala JO V2 BDL bottom. 112gr .620 BC’s Smooch about .050” shy of same and are a Holy Fhuqking Terror. Hint……………

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
350 Legend does nothing for me. If it were me Id sooner consider buying or trading the 223 off for any number of other cartridges that make more sense to me. You are not in a straight wall state, so Id think 6.5 Grendel, 7.62 x 39 or 6mm ARC would be up for consideration as well. Just my thoughts. Perhaps the 350 legend does something for you that escapes me.

If you are a reloader a re-barrel to 6x45 may make sense at some level.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 6x45 can’t begin to hang with The ARC, due COAL and case capacity. I shoot multiples of each. Hint………..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
350 Legend does nothing for me.......

I suggested a 6mm cartridge that uses the Legend case. It supposedly holds 35 grains of water which is 5 more than the .223 Rem.

Velocities claimed from BC Precision web page.

58g v-max 3528fps
85g Speer BTSP 3015fps
90g eldx 2826fps

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe they’ll bring out a .400 Legend, offering more thump and satisfying straight-wall regs. The .450s they made sold pretty well, as in sold out.

Thankfully here we have no such nonsense to deal with, yet….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
350 Legend does nothing for me.......

I suggested a 6mm cartridge that uses the Legend case. It supposedly holds 35 grains of water which is 5 more than the .223 Rem.

Velocities claimed from BC Precision web page.

58g v-max 3528fps
85g Speer BTSP 3015fps
90g eldx 2826fps

You were Pretending aloud,with your GoogleFu. Hint.

The ARC's case capacity is 34-ish grains,depending upon brass Manufacturer. It's case length do GREAT favors,in conjunction with the capacity increase and the OEM RPM. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

As plainly cited,pass the ARC and hold The Fluff. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What are everyones thoughts on a Howa Mini in 300 HAM'R ? I have a Mini in .223 and have considered having it rebarreled to another cartridge. 6x45 was my first thought but why not something a little bit bigger such as the 300 HAM'r. Might be a fun short range hog rifle.

There is a 138 page thread in regards to the 300 HAM'R over at Texas Hunting Forums. Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat posts on that thread.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8919416/wilson-combat-300-hamr#Post8919416

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 09/21/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yet another Howie Mini ARC arrived,though this one in Living Wood. Hint.

ARC OEM throating and 7.5" RPM play rather nicely together. Hint.

I spy another JO V2 BDL parcel,which will orient .620 BC's perfectly. Hint..............

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Maybe I missed something but the Howa Mini is already produced chambered in the 6 ARC. How is bolt face size an issue?

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint.............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yet another Howie Mini ARC arrived,though this one in Living Wood. Hint.

ARC OEM throating and 7.5" RPM play rather nicely together. Hint.

I spy another JO V2 BDL parcel,which will orient .620 BC's perfectly. Hint..............

How does it balance with a wood stock?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As surmised,when I spied this variant for sale,the 22" spout plays exceptionally well in the Living Walnut Handle. Hint.

Stock ergo's are exceptional,as there is a palm swell and a raised comb,which connect alotta dots. I'm already thinking BTR Gen 2 2-12x Mil/Mil FFP Lit Bitch and it won't require The Chop. Hint.

Barrel is threaded to boot. Hint.

It'll take some doing to seal the channel,but it is EASILY the best balanced Factory Mini yet released. Hint..................

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by philgood80

Maybe I missed something but the Howa Mini is already produced chambered in the 6 ARC. How is bolt face size an issue?

He wants to rebarrel a 223…

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LSU fan

That's why I suggested the 6mm Max, just swap the barrel. It should work with the magazine the OP has already as well. It isn't better than the ARC, just simpler to accomplish.

I said it was a flawed cartridge, the case is too long and you run out of seating depth quickly (2.30" COAL for 90 gr ELDX) in most magazines. Especially when limited to AR mags at 2.26", you should have a bit more room in a BA rifle. The ARC is simply more flexible with a wider array of bullet options. However, I'm sure just about any bullet between 80 and 100 grains in a Max would end a pig as easily as in the ARC.

Reloading info for the Max is available at BC Precision's web page, dies and loaded ammo are supposed to be available in November. It is a SAAMI cartridge, Starline is supposed to make brass as well. As was implied, this is all Googled information.

I'm sure the .300 Hamr would work as well. I like the .30O BLK, but I have a suppressor and love shooting subsonic bullets. Having a suppressor and a Rem 788 in .30-30 doesn't make the Hamr appealing to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goat Fhuqks are an easy pass. Hint.

JO connects ALL dots and Chris is wayyyyyy the fhuqk ahead of the pack. HINT.

OEM Goat Fhuqktitude is horrible. Hint.

The Chris JO V2 BDL bottom fits like it has eyes and the magbox is simply fhuqking exceptional,in both design and execution. Hint.

I only dabbled trigger pull weight and tossed in Chris Guts,to shoot a baseline R&D extrapolation. No bedding and will simply rock and roll 112gr .620 BC Smooches,aboard 410600 bases and flog upon yet another BTR Gen2 FFP 2-12x Mil/Mil Lit Bitch. Hint.

This is a VERY Skookum parcel,with the threaded 22". Hint..................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Selling the 223 and buying a 6 arc seems like the most straightforward move.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Do the plastic stocked Howa mini actions also have the palm swell?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Unless you just want the 300 or something. If that’s the case then I wouldn’t let anyone talk me out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang! Never thought I’d see you wearing walnut.

What’s that thing weigh with the JO box?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Dang! Never thought I’d see you wearing walnut.

What’s that thing weigh with the JO box?
Mine with the walnut stock and JO bottom metal weigh 6 pounds on the nose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So you kept it. Good idea.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LSU fan

I did miss that. Thanks.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I did. Now I just need to get some time to go shoot it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by barm
Yes, I did. Now I just need to get some time to go shoot it.

Simple. Just retire……..

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
For hunting stuff inside 300, I would NOT dump a 223 for an ARC. If I wanted ‘more’ for hunting inside 300, I’d look for noticeably more….HAMR, 6.8, even Grendel. If you’re going to shoot critters at 300 or beyond, more often than that one time at band camp, arc makes some sense….but so does a bigger case to launch stuff, too.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/23/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

I’d just keep it a 223 and shoot appropriate bullets to kill the hogs with. At short range, the 223 should work very well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Mine is a Stevens 200 but I’ve killed around 30 hogs with my .223 and 55gr Hornady PSP’s. My shots have been from 80-110yds on the hogs.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.