Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Back live, an hour ago. I just shot some numbers, using a Labradar chrono. 2641, 2613, 2603, and 2597. I’ve now got 66 rounds on the barrel.

🦫

I think it would be worth checking with Seekins on that. IMHO, you're ~200(+) fps slower than you should be....kinda 280'ish. Again, that's just my opinion. Have you resized or measured any of the fired brass? I'm curious about the chamber size on your rifle.

I got in touch with Seekins. The guy listened to my concerns and what I had already done before calling Seekins by contacting Hornady first for the average FPS numbers for my ammo.

He’s sending an RMA with a prepaid shipping label.

His first thought was their QC dept would run a new reamer into the barrel and clean anything that might be inside. If that doesn’t fix the problem. They will screw on a new tube.

🦫

That’s pretty solid customer service.

Agree.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Just asking... has the Labradar been verified?

Verified? Only in the sense that the firmware is up to date on the Labradar and the velocity of a couple of rifles with known barrel speeds were same.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Was just curious. Sometimes simple things get overlooked. I trouble shot a lot of equipment over the years and learned to take nothing for granted. Best to you and hope it get resolved as quickly as possible for you.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Back live, an hour ago. I just shot some numbers, using a Labradar chrono. 2641, 2613, 2603, and 2597. I’ve now got 66 rounds on the barrel.

🦫

I think it would be worth checking with Seekins on that. IMHO, you're ~200(+) fps slower than you should be....kinda 280'ish. Again, that's just my opinion. Have you resized or measured any of the fired brass? I'm curious about the chamber size on your rifle.

I got in touch with Seekins. The guy listened to my concerns and what I had already done before calling Seekins by contacting Hornady first for the average FPS numbers for my ammo.

His first thought was their QC dept would run a new reamer into the barrel and clean anything that might be inside. If that doesn’t fix the problem. They will screw on a new tube.

🦫

That they listened, researched FPS, told you how they planned to check it with first and second options, and sent a shipping label is as good as it gets on customer service in my opinion. I'd like to hear the results. My first thought was perhaps an oversized chamber but that's just a guess.

Agreed on the CS.

My initial impression is that it’d have to be a really oversized chamber to result in 200 fps lost in a 7 Mag sized case. I’d have to look at some numbers, but it may be similar to going from .280 case capacity to 7 Mag.

It does seem unusual to have a chamber oversized that much. I figure running a new reamer through the barrel will only verify that it has the correct 1:8 twist.

Any idea what an incorrect twist would need to be to cause a *200 plus loss in speed*? I would also think if the barrel was twisted incorrectly, wouldn’t I see accuracy issues?

Of the 100 plus CF rifles I’ve owned. I’ve only caught 3 bad barrels.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was just curious. Sometimes simple things get overlooked. I trouble shot a lot of equipment over the years and learned to take nothing for granted. Best to you and hope it get resolved as quickly as possible for you.

It’s a head scratcher, at least for me. A 200 plus loss in speed is so much, that I looked at everything I could come up with on my end to be the cause.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

It’s a head scratcher, at least for me. A 200 plus loss in speed is so much, that I looked at everything I could come up with on my end to be the cause.

🦫
I was questioning the chrono data, which is why I asked if DOPE correlates to the speeds you're seeing on the LR. Too bad that you didn't get a chance to check drops at distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

🦫

🦫

That they listened, researched FPS, told you how they planned to check it with first and second options, and sent a shipping label is as good as it gets on customer service in my opinion. I'd like to hear the results. My first thought was perhaps an oversized chamber but that's just a guess.

Agreed on the CS.

My initial impression is that it’d have to be a really oversized chamber to result in 200 fps lost in a 7 Mag sized case. I’d have to look at some numbers, but it may be similar to going from .280 case capacity to 7 Mag.

It does seem unusual to have a chamber oversized that much. I figure running a new reamer through the barrel will only verify that it has the correct 1:8 twist.

Any idea what an incorrect twist would need to be to cause a *200 plus loss in speed*? I would also think if the barrel was twisted incorrectly, wouldn’t I see accuracy issues?

Of the 100 plus CF rifles I’ve owned. I’ve only caught 3 bad barrels.

🦫
If the twist was so fast that it caused a 200 fps drop, it would be tearing your bullets apart.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jay,

I certainly see the application value in a Trekker stock. I’m still trying to warm to its aesthetics.

Does the stock make a ‘hollow’ or ‘weird twangy’ sound when a shot is fired?

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

🦫
I was questioning the chrono data, which is why I asked if DOPE correlates to the speeds you're seeing on the LR. Too bad that you didn't get a chance to check drops at distance.

Copy.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Send me that ammo, and I'll see what it does in my 7mm PRC! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jay,

I certainly see the application value in a Trekker stock. I’m still trying to warm to its aesthetics.

🦫

Nope, no AR'ish resonance from it. I doubt I'll ever consider it a nice looking stock...but I'm still fond of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any opinions on using a Bartlein in 8.7 twist for the 7MM PRC? A poster on page 1 mentioned it. I am getting my rem action .257 Weatherby re barreled. It has a #3 Bartlein on it and I plan on replacing it with another 26” #3.

It’s a long wait for a 8 twist .284 Bartlein and the 8.7 is available according to my gunsmith.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Saami spec is 8 if that matters; not sure if going slower would impact resale (if that’s even a concern of yours).

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Any opinions on using a Bartlein in 8.7 twist for the 7MM PRC? A poster on page 1 mentioned it. I am getting my rem action .257 Weatherby re barreled. It has a #3 Bartlein on it and I plan on replacing it with another 26” #3.

It’s a long wait for a 8 twist .284 Bartlein and the 8.7 is available according to my gunsmith.

Don't forget, you can recontour another barrel if you'd like. There are lots of heavier barrels out there that can be reshaped to your preferred contour. Bartlein will likely do it, or a smith that is into that service.

I wouldn't want less than 8 myself for a 7mm I am building.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn't want anything slower than 8.

Jay,

🦫

Nope, no AR'ish resonance from it. I doubt I'll ever consider it a nice looking stock...but I'm still fond of it.

Shooting a Trekker stocked rifle and a different maker's carbon stock this weekend, the difference in sound if the stock is hit really stood out. The Trekker's a SOLID stock. If something hits it, there's not much sound. The other carbon stock has the standard build with fill in the stock and the carbon shell. The carbon shell with fill had a much louder sound if it's "thumped" vs the Trekker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Berger calculator indicates 190's will be fine. I do not plan on shooting anything over 180 and will probably stick with the 175 ELD X

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hornady lists 1-8” for the 180 for what it’s worth. I would sure hate to get in a hurry and end up on the edge of stabilizing and not. With the factory rifles being 1-8 I can’t imagine going slower with a custom fitted barrel.

Edit to say I’m not a gunsmith nor do I shoot 180’s yet. I am interested in how it works out for you. Should be a heck of a rifle.

Last edited by Kaleb; 09/18/23.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Hornady lists 1-8” for the 180 for what it’s worth. I would sure hate to get in a hurry and end up on the edge of stabilizing and not. With the factory rifles being 1-8 I can’t imagine going slower with a custom fitted barrel.

My thought also.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
An 8.7 would be fine with 180s. My 7.08 is 8.5 and shoots 180s great. However an 8 might give you a bit higher bc and it's tough to want to go slower twist than the factory guns even if it will be ok.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
An 8.7 would be fine with 180s. My 7.08 is 8.5 and shoots 180s great. However an 8 might give you a bit higher bc and it's tough to want to go slower twist than the factory guns even if it will be ok.

Bb
Yup, exactly.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 61 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,244
Posts18,525,030
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.