Dude what a freak of nature!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
A 27 lb brown???

Dude what a freak of nature!
Yep. This guy is a pretty big outdoorsman. Trips to Alaska for moose; just got back from a Minnesota muskie trip; mounts scattered around the house.

He has the brown mounted and it looks like a big laker that was painted wrong. Massive fish. Caught through the ice, too.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've caught some nice Browns, never anything approaching that! Former co-worker hits Milwaukee Harbor right after ice-out and has caught some serious Browns.

Last year, a fishing charter out of Algoma, brought in a King that was just over 40 pounds! I have a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it.

I spool up 300' of copper on a Shimano Tekota 700 or 800. Puts the lure way back there and can sure be a "winch" to bring one in. Lately, the copper is outfishing the dipsey's and the downriggers combined.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been thinking about adding a copper setup or 2, but this time of year it's a damned rodeo on the fishing grounds. Last time out there were around 15 boats, all trying to fish the same shelf. It's not uncommon for another boat to cut your gear off, especially when you have hundreds of feet out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Been in that! Lol! This past KD Salmon Tournament (Kewaunee/Door Counties) I've never seen so many boats in one spot! Horns honking, guys yelling and swearing, sets being boated over... just incredible! Looked at my buddy Jon, and said "this is supposed to be recreation? Right?" Recreation can sure bring out the worst in people...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My buddy and I took went out and joined the rodeo this evening. After the first pass with boats all around, and not marking anything, we decided to move to the eastern edge of the usual goat fugg and follow another shelf that doesn't get quite as much traffic as the main shelf. It turned out to be a good decision.

My deeper rod popped and a fight commenced. A really good sized female king came to the surface about 120 feet back and jumped a few times, then went deep. She gained around 200 feet of line on me and I couldn't do much more than hold on. Unfortunately, the line on that reel had dug into the layers of line beneath, meaning that the fish couldn't take line. The hook ended up pulling free on what my buddy, a long-time salmon fisherman, figured to be a 25-30 pounder.

I quickly got that line back in and we passed back over the same area, and once again, the same rod was hit. This time a 15 pound female came to the net. Redemption!

Another pass saw my second rod get bit, and a fiesty 15 lb male was boated a few minutes later. Heckuva an evening of fishing and with good company.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a great evening.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice bruinruin!

NRA life member

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
They are addicting. My wife and I did our first trip for them in July and it was a blast. At that time 70-75% of our fish came on riggers with the others on divers fished with braid. The fish we caught were down 75 to about 100 feet. Leadcore was dead for us, most likely due to depth.

My son is starting to get into fishing for them heavily and bought 2 copper outfits earlier this summer for right around $200 fully rigged. Okuma Convector reels with Okuma rods. One with 300 feet of copper (or steel can't remember) and one with 400. He just told me that he purchased a third a week or so ago with 300 feet for less than $200. Same outfit different shop. May be able to get a few outfits for lesser money now that the season is winding down.

Last edited by JDK; 09/01/23.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Man that looks like an awful lotta fun Scott; nice work!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, the fishing has been slow the last 2-3 weeks due to flip-flopping water temps and the fact that it's geting late in the salmon season, but we scored last evening with 3 good sized males in about 30 minutes time. It was pretty chaotic, but fun as hell.

Weights and measurements are compliments of the DNR Creel Counter person who happened to be at the ramp when we returned.

We're going to try to duplicate it again this evening and hopefully again on Friday evening. I'm definitely going to owe my wife a nice evening out after this week.😀

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice!

While we're a little more than a stone throw away from each other, I might have spooked those over your way the other day! Lol!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 09/21/23.

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Very nice!

While we're a little more than a stone throw away from each other, I might have spooked those over your way the other day! Lol!
If you did, I appreciate it. The west wind over Labor day weekend really screwed up the temps here and the fish disappeared. Charters were canceling trips as recently as last week. My fishing buddy, who was with me last evening, went on a charter with a reputable captain just last Thursday and after covering about 15-20 miles of water, could only scrounge up 1 laker and zero salmon.

If you sent fish north, we all owe you one.😁

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] I took 2nd place in the tournament
$265 in tackle and $2880 cash prizes

Way to go, Dan. Congrats!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,309
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.