Hop To
M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hi folks,

Still waiting for a screwdriver I ordered before I try to take off my 99R's butt stock. Meanwhile, I did some looking around on the web, and found a source of 5/16 BSF 22 tpi dies, the BSF standing for "British Standard Fine, 55 deg angle". Can someone confirm if this *is* the thread of the stock bolt? If so, I thought I'd order one and make a hex head stock bolt for my 99R. I'll save the original slotted bolt, of course.

Thanks,
Mike

Does it come in Red and Black plaid? Is it wool?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Why what?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do you want to make a hex head stock bolt ? Something wrong with the original ?

Mike

Jerry Miculek
M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Why do you want to make a hex head stock bolt ? Something wrong with the original ?

Mike

Even with the right screwdriver and a bright light, I found it hard to make sure the screwdriver is engaged in the slot, and not cocked to one side between the screw and the wood. What worked best for me ultimately was clamping the rifle so that the bolt channel was vertical before I tried using the screwdriver, and then carefully comparing the position of the blade to that of the slot in the bolt head before gently and carefully sliding the screwdriver down into the slot, and then twisting it back and forth gently to make sure I had the slot in the bolt head.

A 5/16" diameter bolt typical has a 1/2" hex head. I ran a 1/2 socket with a long extension bar into the stock bolt hole, and it fit nicely. With a hex head bolt, I wouldn't have to worry about engagement - especially with a 12 point socket - the socket would guide itself right onto the bolt head.

Mike

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you have the buttstock off,clean & lube the internals, put it back together with the original bolt and 100 years from now the next owner can worry about lineing up the screwdriver with the slot in the screw. grin

Mike

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any news on this Mike, is it the correct thread?

I have a 99F with a buggered stock bolt slot and I'd like to change it also.

Thanks, Rob

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by RecoilRob
Any news on this Mike, is it the correct thread?

I have a 99F with a buggered stock bolt slot and I'd like to change it also.

Thanks, Rob

Hi Bob,

I'm told BSF is not the right thread angle. The 5/16", 22tpi is right, though. I'm told by another forum member that he's located a source of the dies (unfortunately, they were out of stock at the time he checked). When he gets a chance, he'll check again to see if they're in stock. When that happens, I'll order one. I bought a supply of 5/16", 8" bolts with 1/2 hex head, which I plan on fashioning into 7" bolts with a 5/16x22tpi thread when I get the die. Measure your stock bolt (just the length of the shaft - don't include the head). When I get the die, I'll make you one.

Mike

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I ordered the 5/16 - 22 die from a big supply house here in Houston. They are out of stock so will be about 6 weeks for delivery.

Will let you know when I get them. I ordered 10 so I can share them with y'all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Word to the wise ... don't use that BSF die ( 55 degree )..... American Standard is 60 degree .....

Last edited by gd'40EG-300; 12/08/07.
IC B3

M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by gd'40EG-300
Word to the wise ... don't use that BSF die ( 55 degree )..... American Standard is 60 degree .....

We're ordering NS, or National Special, which is 60 deg.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a new semi finished-inletted buttstock for my son's 60's vintage 99F ( tang safety, rotary mag)

When I pulled the old cut down buttstock off, I find the new stock and it's internal wood will require a longer draw bolt than comes on the rifle.

With the right precision wood forstner bit-guide I might be able to inlet the interior of the stock so the standard bolt will work, OR I thot about trying to find a longer bolt..

What are your suggestions?
Before I do the final inletting, finish work-fitting and sanding and then checkering, I want to have the hardware proper to bolt the new stock up well.

I appreciate any insights or suggestions. Jim

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Toss up on what you do.

I'd drill it out until the original bolt fits.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lightfoot,
Thanks..
Until this thread, I hadn't realized the special thread and pitch of the original draw bolt.

May need to see IF I can find a properly sized forstner bit and shaft extension..THEN the challenge is to drill proper depth down a 12"+ blind inside the stock space and keep it plumb..:) Jim

M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
I have a new semi finished-inletted buttstock for my son's 60's vintage 99F ( tang safety, rotary mag)

When I pulled the old cut down buttstock off, I find the new stock and it's internal wood will require a longer draw bolt than comes on the rifle.

With the right precision wood forstner bit-guide I might be able to inlet the interior of the stock so the standard bolt will work, OR I thot about trying to find a longer bolt..

What are your suggestions?
Before I do the final inletting, finish work-fitting and sanding and then checkering, I want to have the hardware proper to bolt the new stock up well.

I appreciate any insights or suggestions. Jim

Hi Jim,

I just received a 5/16-22 NS (National Special) adjustable round die that I had ordered months ago from a company and had given up on ever getting out of them. Surprise, Surprise. I'm still waiting for the die stock to hold it, but once it arrives (I'm hoping any day now) and I pick up some cutting oil, I'll be good to go. They haven't charged me yet. wink

Anyway, if you know how long the bolt needs to be (measure the shaft - not including the head - but including the threads), I can make you one. It would have a 1/2 hex head, which you could tighten using a 1/4" drive socket, extension, and either 1/4" screwdriver or a small ratchet. You just need to be careful not to over-tighten.

PM me if you want to give this a try.
Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike.. got a 99T with a replacement buttstock. They got very creative with making the bolt fit . How much to do me up one? grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mike, Thanks..I sent you a PM..A proper new bolt makes more sense to me than counterdrilling the bolt hole in the stock with a 14" bit extension..;)Jim

M
MikeC24 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Mike.. got a 99T with a replacement buttstock. They got very creative with making the bolt fit . How much to do me up one? grin

Hi Rory,

I sent you a PM.

Mike

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 54 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,260
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.