Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a side by side that’s relatively new, less than 50 miles on it. It’s been parked for six weeks with a near full tank of non ethanol gas and it may not get started till next spring.

Should I put stabil in the gas tank and run it some to get that stabil in the system?

NRA Patron
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would add some if that tank of fuel is likely to sit all fall and winter. The non-ethanol is certainly the way to go.

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As he said.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any gas engine we own besides the cars and truck gets non-alcohol Fleet Farm 89 octane regular and Seafoam fuel stabilizer and never an issue.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The main ill of small engines is sitting with deteriorating gas in the system. Seafoam at double rate mixed and ran long enough to be all through the system is a good plan. A pox on the ethanol scam…no different than wind energy, subsidized and inefficient not to mention bad for engines. Alcohol draws water then corrodes.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ask a small engine repairman. He'll likely tell you that alcohol gas keeps him in business.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Seafoam - just follow the directions on the can.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On things like boats, mowers, 4 wheelers, etc. I use ethanol free gas plus stabilizer year round. Then there is no ‘should I run some stabilizer at the end of season’ question. The stabilizer is cheap enough that the cost isn’t an issue. I got caught one time when I didn’t do that and it bit me on a fuel injected motorcycle. Had to clean the injection system and it cost more than all the stabilizer I’ve ever bought in my lifetime.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve used seafoam as a cleaner on occasion, but I don’t generally use it as a stabilizer. I’m sure it works fine but it also contains up to 25% isopropanol alcohol, which is what we are trying to avoid in the first place. Given the relatively small dose it takes, I don’t think it’s nearly the issue that using ethanol fuels is, but it’s still there.

The biggest issue with seafoam is cost per dose. Seafoam calls for 1 ounce per gallon. Mercury marine stabilizer is 1 ounce per 5 gallons. Sta-bil calls for 1 ounce to 2.5 gallons. Seafoam just costs quite a bit more per dose.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Boat motor, atvs, snowblower, snowmobile, Honda generator all get stabil marine with every tank.

The snowblower and the snowmobile sat outside all season in rainy Alaskan weather with full tanks of fuel treated with marine stabil.

Both started right up and have been working fine.

Of the stabil products, the marine version has excellent corrosion inhibitors and also has PEA fuel system cleaners.

Just a "one size fits all" fuel treatment. Surely better than nothing at all.

Recently, sea foam brought out a "marine" formula. It has no isopropyl alcohol like the original formula. My question is, was the original formulation not good enough, when compared to existing products?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can you drain the tank?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I wouldn't use stabil, I've seen it ge crusty in the bottle. That can't be good. I've used Lucas fuel stabilizer in my small engines for the last 5 years and has worked great.
No issues after storing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMHTR32
I wouldn't use stabil, I've seen it ge crusty in the bottle. That can't be good. I've used Lucas fuel stabilizer in my small engines for the last 5 years and has worked great.
No issues after storing.

I wonder if that was from a bad batch, or had been exposed to extreme temperature swings.

My experience with Stabil has been stellar. One of my generators (Stored in my basement) has 9 year old fuel in it, fortified with 4oz of Stabil every spring and fall in it's 8 gallon tank. I test run it twice a year, and it starts first pull and will pull a 5000W load with that old fuel without protest. It used to be my camp generator until we got power run to the camp, and I "replaced" it with a more modern inverter generator for the house to run the smart appliances. Going to continue the experiment with the old one to see just how long the fuel will work with regular additions of Stabil.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I also use Stabil and have for years. Add it to every can of gas as I fill it for use in riding and push lawnmower, and UTV. Non ethanol gas as you mentioned, and make sure you run it long enough tp get it in the entire system.

I have also used Star Tron with similar good results.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Related question for people with mowers

Do you fill them with stabilized fuel prior to storage or run them dry?
I have had good luck running them dry (with stabilized gas) prior to storing. Then refilling in spring with fresh fuel.

-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All my small engines are run dry before storing them, if they have a fuel shutoff valve. Weedwhackers and chainsaws are dosed with Stabil and I will run them about every 6 months and re-treat with Stabil before storing again.

About time to do it again.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fill everything with stabilized ethanol free gas year round and store with them full of gas. I problems so far.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting, I just called a lawnmower repair place near me and asked him whether to run them dry or fill them.

He said its a horse apiece.

Just to use non-ethanol gas with some stabilizer of some sort and either fill or run dry. Said the stabilizer is important as even running them dry there will be a small amount remaining in the carb.

-George Washington
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Today infact...

Just bought 10 gallons Eth Free (Clear) as they call it here

88 Octane.....$4.14/gallon

In the barn storage now

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dale06
I have a side by side that’s relatively new, less than 50 miles on it. It’s been parked for six weeks with a near full tank of non ethanol gas and it may not get started till next spring.

Should I put stabil in the gas tank and run it some to get that stabil in the system?
I don't see the need if it's non-eth. I left some avgas (non eth) in a dirt bike for 5 months and all that was left was the oil in the carb float bowel. This carb is new and looked new when I wiped the oil out. The oil still had a good blue tint to it like when it comes out of the bottle.

Last edited by smarquez; 11/01/23.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.