C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Who all is going to Africa in 2024?
Where are you going?
What are you planning to hunt?

Or what kind of questions do you have about hunting in Africa?

Maybe we can answer your questions, learn from your plans or get you hooked up with an outfitter to get you planned for your trip of a lifetime.

Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member Safari Club International
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Kicking it around but I have an Alaskan brown bear hunt in July. We'll see.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Back to Namibia in April.

Gemsbok, warthog, black wildebeest and would love to add a hyena.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Ky221

I debated on going after a brown hyena when we went last June, but didn't do a nighthunt.

Originally Posted by EdM

Have you ever been to Africa yet? Alaska sounds great

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Chance615

I debated on going after a brown hyena when we went last June, but didn't do a nighthunt.

Originally Posted by EdM

Have you ever been to Africa yet? Alaska sounds great

Yes, four times 2002 - 2015, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chance615
Who all is going to Africa in 2024?
Where are you going?
What are you planning to hunt?

Me

RSA

Kudu
Nyala
Gemsbok
Waterbuck
Bushbuck
Impala
Springbok
Warthog

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I’ve been to Africa twice… I must say it was one of my best experiences

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The little lady and I are going back to RSA next July for two weeks. It will be our fourth trip all with Chris Troskie, Lephalale area,Limpopo province.
First four days going to Vic. Falls for tour then back for eight days of hunting. The list is roan,eland, giraffe, red hartebeast and bushbuck. I'll be 74 but still do pretty good, probably be our last hoorah.
We have airline tickets booked and planning to take a Win. 70 in .35 Brown Whelen.It spits 250 gr. Nosler Partitions well,need to hit the practice range and get the eye sharpened up!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Leave for Nam on Jan 26 for two to three months.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Uganda - 2 buff and all plainsgame from 2 regions
Zim - ele

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe:

Looking at hippo and croc to Zambia or Zimbabwe.

Or.

Tuskless or non trophy elephant in Zimbabwe.

However, i have some health issues that need to be addressed first before any great plans are finalized.

I have a couple meeting set up for the DSC convention in 24 to discuss the above two hunts.

Then, i have a possible South Africa hunt for some animals that i have not hunted before or have had the chance to take a quality representative trophy. So that is being discussed to match up with either of the above.

Also, considering a return trip to Namibia if the South African part fall down.

This possible will be my last trip to Africa and would like to have a good time.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
First trip to RSA in September 24. Bought a safari through local PF chapter. Not sure how good of deal or what not but looking forward to it. Plains game 7 day hunt. Based on trophy fees.

Hoping for Gemsbok, Kudu, impala and blesebuk as well as a day of wing shooting.

Hoping to be able to go again but we have a kid due late march of 24 so pretty thrilled I get this trip

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Yup
May trip. Combined Namibia and RSA. Schoenfeld in Namibia with the von Seydlitz family. RSA Kenneth Ball at Shi-Awela. Will go to Botswana if I can work out the details.

Mostly looking for good fun. Unlikely will hunt for buffalo; have taken more than enough. I prefer hunting wildebeest and zebra more than all the other species. Would enjoy chasing some rabbits/hares.

Should split into two trips but the cost of airfare is daunting.

Last edited by RinB; 10/01/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Back to Botswana early Aug for 15-days. That included travel time to/from and 10-full days of hunting.

Have room for maybe 2-3 more to go along.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had dinner with some friends last night. Looks like we will all be headed over in May of 25. It’ll be my 5th time over so I’ll just be going along to watch others enjoy their first trip. GF wants a kudu BAD and about all I still want is a nice Nyala. GF will probably take a 7/08 or 308 and I’ve got a nice 700 classic in 8x57 I’ll plan on taking.

I haven’t shot the 8x57 much but I’ve got a few boxes of 180tsx that it will hopefully like.

Anyone have any experience with the 200gr Speer hotcores?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RinB
. I prefer hunting wildebeest and zebra more than all the other species.

Why? Just curious. Working out a trip myself. Thanks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
plum
I have been over there on 23+ trips and have gotten lots of plains game and many buffalo. Have done enough elephant hunting to know that it isn’t for me. There is something truly sad about walking up on a dead elephant.

Wildebeest are very interesting to hunt. I stalk them on foot. They will circle around you to catch your smell. They snort and paw the ground. They are pretty stout and require fine marksmanship. They are not easy to get up on and are a good test of your stalking skills. Hit poorly they will give you a long chase.

Zebra are even tougher to stalk. And they are even tougher to take cleanly. You must be a pretty skilled rifleman to hit them correctly. You won’t believe how they can vanish.

Both are very challenging and always interesting.

In the open red sand country in Namibia I enjoy chasing oryx.

All are good tests of skill.

Still looking for the biggest warthog of all time. Futile but interesting.

Last edited by RinB; 10/01/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
RinB, thanks.

I am looking at a PG hunt and am gathering info.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
If any of you need an outfitter, just ask one of us and we can find you a solid outfitter im sure between all of our experiences. I have a great guy I would recommend that I hunted with last June or a few more recommendations that I have been in contact at RMEF/SCI functions.

Originally Posted by Full3r
First trip to RSA in September 24. Bought a safari through local PF chapter. Not sure how good of deal or what not but looking forward to it. Plains game 7 day hunt. Based on trophy fees.

Hoping for Gemsbok, Kudu, impala and blesebuk as well as a day of wing shooting.

Hoping to be able to go again but we have a kid due late march of 24 so pretty thrilled I get this trip

Who are you using? The add-ons are where you get into the money and getting all your trophies shipped. Just a heads up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m going in 3 weeks on October 22. I’m already booked for 2025 in Zimbabwe for buffalo. . May go to Namibia for plains game in 2024.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I’ll be after a cape buffalo and spotted hyena in Zim next year. Looking forward to it. It will be my 6th hunting trip to Africa.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m going, just haven’t decided where or for what.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Leaving in February for northern Cameroon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
July 2024
elephant

Can’t wait

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CAelknuts

Got elephant and Lord Derby Eland there- albeit 25 years ago.

Cameroon is “real” Africa. Meaning graft and corruption and damn few white folks.

A smattering or better of French language will help you Douala.

I advise you get the outfitter well, especially these days. Book Hareem has been screwing around not terribly far from there. Be smart!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Benbo
Had dinner with some friends last night. Looks like we will all be headed over in May of 25. It’ll be my 5th time over so I’ll just be going along to watch others enjoy their first trip. GF wants a kudu BAD and about all I still want is a nice Nyala. GF will probably take a 7/08 or 308 and I’ve got a nice 700 classic in 8x57 I’ll plan on taking.

I haven’t shot the 8x57 much but I’ve got a few boxes of 180tsx that it will hopefully like.

Anyone have any experience with the 200gr Speer hotcores?

Speers work fine at those velocities. I am sold on the performance of all the TSX line.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

KY221: Will you be hunting with Jan du Plessis at Sebra? I’ve hunted six times with Jan, starting in 2012.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
A
A
Heading to Botswana CH1 in May for Cape Buffalo. Hoping to add spotted hyena. Working on 2nd hunt camp for same trip to add more variety.

A
A
Heading to Botswana CH1 in May for Cape Buffalo. Hoping to add spotted hyena. Working on 2nd hunt camp for same trip to add more variety.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I might be there if the outfitters daughter gets married, she's asked us to attend if/when the day comes. The way her and her beau batted eyes at one another, I don't expect it's far off.

Whenever I go again, I'll pick up the trail for eland again. Last trip had 9 stalks, but never connected. All the usual culprits; shifting wind, breaking stick, grazing impala, giraffe sentry's, guinea fowl and even a leopard pouncing on its prey. One of these days all the puzzle pieces will align.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted a lot in Botswana, South Africa and Namibia when I worked in Africa for 4 years. Not really anything in particular that I feel the need to pursue, but I would like to take my lady and show her just how magical the dark continent is. A trip to Vic Falls would be in order.

Perhaps a action filled cull hunt is what I would enjoy the most. I certainly don't need any more trophies.

Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Going to Mozambique to hunt with Mokore in September 2024 for plains game. Looking for a big warthog.

M
M
10 day double non-trophy buff in Bubye beginning July1

N
N
Headed to the East Cape with my son in June. Second trip with Marius Goosen, KMG Safaris and first time I've used a safari company twice. Had such a great time the first time, I couldn't wait to return.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just back from Zambia. Maybe 2025. 2024 looks like Eastern/Central Europe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zimbabwe. Warthogs for me, my son has a list of seven including a croc.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
With the aforementioned brown bear hunt and what appears to be the forming of a fishing trip a couple of months later out of Ketchikan we are likely set for the year. Good luck folks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We're going to tourist the hell out of Egypt next year, so no hunting for me unless something changes.

2025, either Caprivi for buff or back to Zambia for buff/leopard. Maybe both if the stars align!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by McCray
We're going to tourist the hell out of Egypt next year, so no hunting for me unless something changes.

2025, either Caprivi for buff or back to Zambia for buff/leopard. Maybe both if the stars align!

Take face masks, not for Covid but for dust and sand. I was there this spring and came back with the worst infection of my life. There are no Sudafed anywhere in the Middle East and you can’t bring it with you.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Originally Posted by McCray

Take face masks, not for Covid but for dust and sand. I was there this spring and came back with the worst infection of my life. There are no Sudafed anywhere in the Middle East and you can’t bring it with you.

Thanks for the tip! Although I've lived my whole life on the edge of what used to be called The Dust Bowl, I've never gotten tolerant of that crap. Dust masks it will be. And probably a run of antibiotics too!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

It is always amazing to hunt in Africa. Especially Namibia. I can't wait to have that experience all over again.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was thinking of going to DSC in Jan. and seeing if anything there might interest me in booking a buff hunt for 2024 or later.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I will be at Nashvill SCI
I looking into bird hunting but with ad ons
Few plains game too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I plan to go to Namibia in 24. Currently researching cull hunts.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Eastern Cape, RSA, in the first week of June 2024. Package with nyala and bushbuck. Will be adding blesbuck and impala for sure. Mix of coastal and karoo.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not Africa, but I’ve been seriously considering going to Manitoba Canada on a deer hunt mid November 2024. With the state of the nation, I’m seriously thinking about sticking close to home around election time. Maybe I spend too much time on the Hunters Campfire, but I’m really uneasy about the things going on.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'll be in Coutada 9, Mozambique hunting buffalo and plains game with Mokore Safaris in July. Great outfit and people who I know already, and new country that I've never hunted before. Should be an adventure!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Boise

I've done those cull hunts with Kowas Safaris 4 times. Great outfit, great people, loads of game.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Boise

I've done those cull hunts with Kowas Safaris 4 times. Great outfit, great people, loads of game.

You can believe this guy...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not me, going to monitor air traffic safety for a couple years, with retard hire rumors in the works, sadly, i may be done!

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Better 1/2 is on Safari right now, she left last Saturday. I could not make the trip, due to work obligations.

Her's is a Picture Safari, I will only be going if my M1917 .30-06 and .300 Win Mag are coming with me lol

KB

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We didn't get to go to DSC this year...the cold front kept me home baby sitting cows and chopping ice!

Looks like we are doing a one day run to SCI. I want to talk to a guy about a '25 leopard and whatnot hunt in Moz. then start the ball rolling on another leopard hunt in Zambia for '26 with Makasa Safaris. Probably say "Hey!" to some other folks we've hunted with before, gawk at some taxidermy and bug out of there.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by castnblast
I'll be in Coutada 9, Mozambique hunting buffalo and plains game with Mokore Safaris in July. Great outfit and people who I know already, and new country that I've never hunted before. Should be an adventure!

I will be keenly interested in how you do on this hunt. I’m booked with them on Coutada 9 for end of September of ‘25.

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am going 7/20 to Eastern Cape. Going to stop in Paris for Layover and spend the day then off to Africa. Not sure what I am shooting yet. I am taking gf with me so sure she will take a few as well as her first trip and will be first harvest of any animal

Scott

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have never hunted Africa. My brother his son and i are wanting to go in 2025 or 26. Plains game, any suggestions?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Looks like maybe Namibia for 2025. Still working it though.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Headed to the Eastern Cape end of July thru early August. This’ll be my 3rd trip, plains game but no list, just wanting to go again!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tuli block first week in August, pretty jazzed. I’ve made 4 trips to the Eastern Cape, first trip outside of RSA and going solo without MOFAS

Charlie

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by davesonic444
I have never hunted Africa. My brother his son and i are wanting to go in 2025 or 26. Plains game, any suggestions?

Three suggestions

Hotfire Safaris in the Eastern Cape SA
Kowas Adventure Safaris near Windhoek Namibia
Byseewah near Etosha Namibia

Allow some time for touring as well

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
Originally Posted by davesonic444

Three suggestions

Hotfire Safaris in the Eastern Cape SA
Kowas Adventure Safaris near Windhoek Namibia
Byseewah near Etosha Namibia

Allow some time for touring as well

X2 for Hotfire. I’ve been there 3 times. Patrick and Ryan are both good hunters who work hard. You will actually hunt, no shooting from the truck with them. If you value the hunting experience over ritzy accommodations, you can’t go wrong with Hotfire.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
https://somerbysafaris.com/

they exceeded my every expectation of what an African safari would be

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks guys.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We, wife and I, had a great trip in 2016 with Shona Safaris hunting and sightseeing in Namibia. We, wife and I, had our first trip in 2002 with a couple of guys but I cannot recall the name of their outfit but we had a great time. In 2012 we did a family (wife and three sons) trip with Andrew at Kei River in South Africa and, again, a great trip. I had another good trip in Zim but it was for buffalo and plains game. No sense in spending that money for just plains game. I am currently working with Kowas on a sable, plains game hunt for next year. There are loads of folks out there that offer quality hunts.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by CAelknuts

It was a good hunt…

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Early September to Mozambique for buffalo. I'm seeing that there is currently some stupid problem with flying through RSA to Mozambique with a rifle. I already have quite a but of money invested in my buffalo rifle and ammo.

Hope I get to use it!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm looking forward to Mozambique Coutada 9, Buffalo and plains game hunt with Mokore Safaris in July this year. I don't believe the rifle restriction applies any more flying through RSA, that was an old restriction that re-surfaced on the internet for no good reason. Check it out Cross, and have a good hunt!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm looking forward to Mozambique Coutada 9, Buffalo and plains game hunt with Mokore Safaris in July this year. I don't believe the rifle restriction applies any more flying through RSA, that was an old restriction that re-surfaced on the internet for no good reason. Check it out Cross, and have a good hunt!

Thanks CastnBlast!

I found it on the website of my travel agent so I'm going to trust them and my outfitter to sort it out. I will use a camp rifle if I have to, just don't want to!

Have you been to Mozambique before? I'm new to Africa so this is going to be a big adventure for me.

Good luck on your hunt!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck with the rifle, it is or can be traveling with firearms but also not the same to use someone else's you're not familiar with.

I'm sure there's some really fine guns available while over there, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Albeit not a huge sampling.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
Good luck with the rifle, it is or can be traveling with firearms but also not the same to use someone else's you're not familiar with.

I'm sure there's some really fine guns available while over there, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Albeit not a huge sampling.

Yes. This is what I've read also. I've never traveled by air internationally with a firearm so I'm counting on my outfitter and travel agents to keep me out of trouble!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I had the hunt of my life in Coutada7 for bull elephant.We then briefly went and hunted in Coutada 9 for plains game.Mozambique-the part we hunted was different but special in its own way.Mokore's camp had some good food and they fed us well.

Last edited by swiftshot; 03/26/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This will be my 6th trip to Africa and fifth hunting safari. Never been to the same place twice, and I like it that way. There is so much to explore. I did book the Mozambique hunt with the same outfitter ( Mokore) I'd had good success with in Zimbabwe two years ago, so that eliminates some of the variables that need considering. Glad you had a good hunt swiftshot, and best wishes to you Cross!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Headed to RSA in early June. First safari after plains game, 10 days ten species. Limpopo province just outside Kruger with Albert Aleberts PH.

K
K
Heading to Namibia for 7 days hunting 2X1 with my 15 year old son and wife in August in the Kalahari and then 2 days sightseeing in the Namib dunes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gotta wait for another year, myself. May 2025. Buffalo and Crocodile in Zambia. Been 14 years since I hunted the Dark Continent.

Am a bit envious of those going this year.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Cross
Originally Posted by 69sportfury

Yes. This is what I've read also. I've never traveled by air internationally with a firearm so I'm counting on my outfitter and travel agents to keep me out of trouble!

making my 1st trip this spring to S.E. Africa plains game hunt we have our tickets and most of the paper work done & ready and it is a pain in the butt the paper work. take care and good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You nice fellas, have me thinking.....

Going to the Dark Continent; should be explored by hunters and outdoor enthusiast.

I'm not getting any younger.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Leaving for RSA on Thursday!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
@Hammerdown, I know a few outfitters over there that have been great for us if you need recommendations!

@forshoes, Safe Travels and straight shooting! Don't forget to keep us updated

@CAElkNuts, That's a great one! Congrats!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
If anybody is looking for a massive Cape Buffalo, my outfitter friend has located a huge one in their area that he'd love to put a stalk on with a client

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.