Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jn316 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Howdy fella's. I'm Ray and reside in Texas near Dallas. This year I'm hunting on some borrowed land, just didn't have time to get a lease after loosing the one we had. For those not familar with Texas there's almost no public land, its all private and you generally have to pay to hunt. And I dont like it but thats just the way it is and for some of the ranches its a considerable income. <BR> <BR>I shoot a 6.5x55, 280 Rem, 25-06, 7mm STW, 240 Gibbs, and the big boy a 50x31/4 Sharps. Right now the one that gets out the most is the 240 Gibbs. Picked up reloading back in 76 and cant turn it loose for long at all it seems.<BR> <BR>So how about yall......Ray

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
HR IC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ray:<P>Hi. I'm Dante and I live in Winterhaven, California. It's a little town just near the California, Arizona, Old Mexico borders.<P>Out here, we get lots of doves, Gambels quail, and some pheasants in the crop. There are also some pretty impressive desert muleys, but there aren't too many and they aren't easy to hunt. Plus we got craploads of rabbits, coyotes, and mountain lions around.<P>I like a 30-06 Remington 700 and a 20-gauge pump for most of my huntinm. One of these days I'd like to get myself a .338, though I don't know what I'd use it on around here.<P>Dan<P> <P>

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Currently I'm in Ottawa, Canada. I've been here since the summer having moved for job & family reasons. Prior to this I was in Alberta and boy do I miss the hunting there!!! I hunt deer, moose, ducks and upland game. I shoot and reload for 30-06, 308, 7mmSTW. Bolt actions are my preferred rifle, but I do have a soft spot for a nice Win Model 88 in 308 that I have. For upland game I use a model 870 pump 12 ga.<P>I was posting/reading the board at shooters.com, but with their latest mods to their website I can no longer post messages. Anybody else here from shooters.com??<P>Rob

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
RobP and everyone. Comin' at you from Alberta Canada. RobP misses Alberta for a good reason. Some of the best hunting on the continent. I live 2 to 2-1/2 hours from moose/elk and black bear country and right among some of the best farmland whitetail hunting you'll find. Been shooting and reloading for about 11 years.Currently have a crop of 7 Rem 700's,(they seen to follow me home)in 223,220 Swift,243,6mm,25-06,7 Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. Reload for all of them.I am totally fed up with the shooters.com boards. Organized confusion over there.Hope this turns out better.<BR>RobP. tell me about your 7 STW. I'm contemplating one. What can I say,I love speed.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome all!<P>I'm Rick, your humble editor. This BB is for you. If you need any help posting pictures, or whatever, you can e-mail me at editor24hourcampfire.com. We aim to please!<P>I live in Southern Kalifornia, but my heart is in the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains. I've been shotgunning since I was five, and hunting big game since I was thirteen. Needless to say, I live for the fall.<P>I'll be skeddaling out to my favorite hunting state tonight, and probably won't be home 'til Thanksgiving. So Happy Turkey Day to all, and may your bird be wild. [Linked Image]<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rembo,<BR>I bought my stw a couple of years ago from Crappy Tire in Cowtown. I used it to shoot a mule deer last season. I won't be hunting with it this year due to the different terrain/hunt style here in Ont. I really like the gun I have the Sendero with the stainless fluted barrel - topped with a Vari X II 4X12 AO. You can notice the weight with this rifle, but it is certainly carriable (is that a word) in the field. I took it out near Little Fish Lake (east of Drum) and walked all day in the hills last year. It is very accurate, however, I have found it that it takes some experimenting to get the handloads worked up nice. I still haven't found one that I'm super happy with. The best factory load I've found is the Speer Nitrex 145 gr Grand Slam - group between .5 to .75 inch at 100 yds off the bench. Believe it or not, I've been considering selling it as I can really only see myself shooting it at the range out here. I also picked up a nice little laminated stock Model 7 in 308, which I'm trying to make into the ideal close brush gun. Did you get any tags this year? Rob

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Hello <BR>My name is Bruce and I am new to your board, I live in a small town in Wisconsin where the deer are as plentiful as rabbits,<BR>My current rifles that I use are 300 Win mag which I have been useing for more years that I care to count and a back up 3006 both are bolt actions, to which I hand load for. My job has taken me all over the rockies as well as the plains hunting but the place I enjoy the most is Milstone,Mont. hunting mule deer and antilope. In the near by canon was my first encounter with a big bears you know the kind with silver on the back.<BR>

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.
E
E
Hi everyone. I am Bill and live in Jackson Hole Wyoming. Born and raised in NY state for 36 years. Moved to Wyoming in 1989. Love my elk hunting.

Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk" TARGET=_blank>www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk</A>
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
RobP, so you were down in Southern Alberta eh? I'm up north just out of Edmonton.A hunting buddy of mine is from Southern Ontario and his Dad and two brothers hunt there. Completely different terrain and style like you say. The Sendero may not be practical.The little M7 308 sounds like the just the ticket judging by what I've heard of the area.I've been thinking of an STW since I picked up a nice 7 Rem Mag a while back. I thought if 3200 with a 140 is good , then 3500 must be better. Who can't see the logic in that? If you do decide to sell it I'm sure it would love to return to Alberta. [Linked Image] I got drawn for bull moose in WMU339. Which is west of Drayton Valley,south of the Pembina River.I was out there last Friday/Saturday.Saw nothing but whitetails and two cow moose.Going back next Friday/Saturday for one last kick at the cat. Good luck hunting in Ontario. [Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Oh yeah , we also saw 4 cow elk out there in WMU338,north of the river. I think I'm gonna spend some time camping and ATV'ing out there next summer.Do some scouting. Or maybe a bear-hunting in the spring.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rembo,<BR>If you are interested in the sendero, send me an email at rf-piercehome.com I may not be able to respond until next weekend as I'm heading off for a week deer hunting today. Good luck with the moose. I had a bull tag last year in the Water Valley, but got skunked. Rob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi!! I am <B><I>Critr</I></B>, and if you look around, you will find my posts and photos scattered liberally. I am a lifelong hunter, a retired engineer, and do a bit of guiding varmint hunters. You can see my web page for details. I also do research on the internet for an educational publishing company, write a few magazine articles, and am forming a judgment recovery company. Born in Ky, raised in Ill on a farm, married young, farmed 9 years, then studied engineering at the Univ of Ill. Lived, and hunted, in Ky, Ill, Wisc, Calif, Tenn, and Ariz.<BR>Love to hunt. No longer have the desire to hunt in 2 feet of snow and drag elk out. Been there, done that! [Linked Image]<BR>Dad gave me my first rifle, a Remingtom single-shot, when I was 7.<BR>Started reloading in'59 or '60.<BR>Life member NRA.<BR>Member VHA.<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR><B><I>Critr</I></B><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Critr Gitr (edited November 21, 2000).]

Critr
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi, my name is Brian. The username is a reference to something else. I am 20 years old and a student at Western Michigan University and live in Kalamazoo. I might be young, but I have been hunting and shooting my whole life. I dont remember when I started shooting, but i got my first bow when i was 6 years old for christmas. I also reload and am very active in the outdoors whether it be backpacking, camping, fishing, or just about anything. I am a member of the NRA and as soon as i have the money i am going to join the MUCC. I vote and I want to be able to share all that hunting and shooting has brought me with my children and grandchildern. Along with school, I work at the Gander Mountian store there in Kalamazoo. I work in the Archery and the Guns/Hunting departments. I also post on shooters.com and huntamerica.com under the same user name. Nice to meet all of you.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well my name is Allen and I live in Alaska. Have lived here for 26 years. Was born and raised in Muskegon Michigan. Enjoy hunting and fishing very much. I am on most of the boards related to hunting at one time or another. Always do the live chat at <A HREF="http://www.michigan-sportsmen.com" TARGET=_blank>www.michigan-sportsmen.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.shooterstalk.com" TARGET=_blank>www.shooterstalk.com</A> Hey rembo, what you been uo to. See you all at the live chat hopefully.

Allen Glore

aglore@gci.net
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Hey Allen, good to see ya over here. I haven't been up to much really.Hunting is over for me this year.Just picked up deer sausage tonite. Good stuff! Thinking about a job change soon,playing with rifles and trying to do some work on my house.Juggling time between all this and my two sons,12 and 14 who live with me, and then the girlfriend.............well,what can a guy do?

T
T
I am realativley new to this forum spent quite a bit of time on the HuntAmerica forum I currently hunt mostly Mule deer and Ducks. I was born and raised here in UTAH! I am currently attending UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY I will graduate in May with a Bach of science in Rangeland Stewardship. I shoot a ruger M77 in a 25-06 , several .22s, a remington 11-87 for duck and my prize is my .54 cal Kentucky style Muzzle loader has a 30" inch green mountain barrel and a peep sight not as accurate as my 25-06 but I still shoot 5" or less groups at 100yds. I hunt Mule deer, ducks some upland Game and an occasional Elk(time permitting). BIlly goat and Allen been to both of your home towns lived in Muskegon for a couple of months during febuary never seen the sun due to lake affect but liked Michigan.<P>Thack

Thack<P>"Its not how big your gun is it is where you put the bullet."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waders here. I recognize a few "faces" from the shooters board. I live in Southwest Washington and hunt true Columbian Blacktails, the ghosts of the Pacific Northwest. I also chase elk around some, but am pretty haphazard about that. When I am not hunting, I practice law in Centralia, WA. <P>I shoot mainly a .30-06 that wears a Leupold 2x7. I also love my Marlin .30-30 lever gun with iron sights. I have a photo of my great grandpa hold that gun in about 1910. I rarely even shoot my .270 Winchester Model 70. Maybe I should, I just don't. I used to be a pheasant hunter back when my dad went hunting, and have a 2 12gauge shotguns--a Remington and a Browning. I still have my very first gun, a Stevens double barrel 20 gauge. And of course I have a couple .22's and a .20 Sheridan Air Rifle.<P>I don't reload, rarely hunt on Sunday (unless I work it out with the Lord in advance) and would love to learn to Turkey hunt. I am an amateur auctioneer and volunteer my services for many charities.<BR>My lawfirm webpage is <A HREF="http://www.centralialaw.com" TARGET=_blank>www.centralialaw.com</A> and I have a couple family pics at <A HREF="http://www.localaccess.com/samuelson" TARGET=_blank>www.localaccess.com/samuelson</A> <P>And that's it. I am at the Shooters board nearly everyday, but it fritz's out so much I thought I'd check in here too occasionally. Regards.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oops, got my own web site wrong. It's www2.localaccess.com/samuelson/<P>Sorry for any confusion!<P>

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome, Waders. I, too, was at the shooters talk board when I discovered this one. Now I am here daily (usually more [Linked Image] )and only very occasionally check in at the others. [Linked Image] Visit here often. I like the photos here, as well as (don't tell him this) I feel Rick is doing a good job with the board, something I can't say for all boards! -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
S
S
What's going on? I'm Christopher Diaz from Dallas,Tx. I am in the Marine Corps and stationed in SC. I currently hunt whitetail deer, hogs and turkey. I enjoy hunting with rifles, bows and shotguns. We have a pretty generous season down here. Starts Aug15 til Jan1st. There is quite a bit on public land available down here which is pretty cool. I have to admit I am jealous though when I see the rest of you fellas able to hunt bear, mountain lions, caribou and elk. Someday I too shall claim glory to them as well. Til then I shall continue harvesting deer and hogs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 219DW, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 10,037 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,350
Posts18,546,652
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.