Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
What is a M70 XTR .222 Remington worth? I had a Great Aunt pass away and this will be in her estate auction. I'm interested in bidding on it, but no clue as to how far I should be willing to go. I know condition is everything and this will probably just be a shooter as it probably rode around in the pickup some to shoot varmints and predators on her ranch. However, knowing her and my Uncle it will be far from abused. I haven't been able to get any pictures yet.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
What is a M70 XTR .222 Remington worth? I had a Great Aunt pass away and this will be in her estate auction. I'm interested in bidding on it, but no clue as to how far I should be willing to go. I know condition is everything and this will probably just be a shooter as it probably rode around in the pickup some to shoot varmints and predators on her ranch. However, knowing her and my Uncle it will be far from abused. I haven't been able to get any pictures yet.

What model is it? XTR heavy barrel varmint, fwt, sporter?? DOM would help as well. I can understand the no pictures, but a % condition would be nice to have, to evaluate the value.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't have much info from the sale bill, and it's a four hour drive one way to look at it. It doesn't sell until Oct 28th, so I'd imagine I'll get pictures and more info in a few days.

As far as DOM, how many years did they make the XTR .222 Rem and is there a year more valuable than others?

Here is all the info I have: Mod 70 XTR 222 Rem #G1476734

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't have much info from the sale bill, and it's a four hour drive one way to look at it. It doesn't sell until Oct 28th, so I'd imagine I'll get pictures and more info in a few days.

As far as DOM, how many years did they make the XTR .222 Rem and is there a year more valuable than others?

Here is all the info I have: Mod 70 XTR 222 Rem #G1476734

Based on the serial #, it was made in '80. That means it is built on a long action receiver. It is more than likely a sporter model with irons. I've seen some sell on GB and the like for around $1,000.00-$1,200.00. However, those were in like new condition. I'd place a value of around $700 for a really worn one to $1,200.00 for a really nice one. That's being pretty generous because when out and about, I will run across one for much less. Keeping in mind the 222's are a little harder to find than others, making them worth a bit more. We don't have a lot of info here, but that's how I'd rate them. That's also guessing what model yours is, only by deductive reasoning from DOM.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw one over a year ago for $900

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got one, but I can't recall the exact configuration.. laugh Been a while since I took it outta the safe.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've got one, but I can't recall the exact configuration.. laugh Been a while since I took it outta the safe.

I'm wondering if the one you have is an XTR or not? I believe you said it was a standard version with cap shroud, iron sights and blind mag..

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Had one and sold it on this site. Was pristine. Would put groups inside a dime at 100 all day every day. Think I only shot a few boxes of shells through it. If you can find one that is on a true short action, then you have found something. 222 is a neat little cartridge. If you got or found one that is mint 1200 is the ceiling. Worth a grand easy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I remember as a kid, my dads friend had a very nice Winchester XTR 222. When it came time to butcher pigs, he'd bring that rifle over and let me head shoot the big suckers. That 222 always hit its mark. A very sweet shooting rifle that I wish I had right now.

I'm wondering if the OP has found out anything else on the rifle in question?

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
No new info yet.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm wondering if the one you have is an XTR or not? I believe you said it was a standard version with cap shroud, iron sights and blind mag..
Thanks for the note - reminds me to drag it out and take a better look to refresh my pos memory.. laugh laugh

Added: Just found it - you're right, cap shroud, blind mag, but with factory iron sights.. Just says "Winchester Model 70 222 Remington" on the barrel.

Not a mark on it that I can see. It's apparently little use. I think I've run about 50 rounds through it and that was over 20 years ago..

Last edited by Redneck; 10/05/23.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was doing some thinking and I run into an M70 in 222 about once a year on average. Almost all of them are the long action late 60s early 70s production. I believe I have handled one short action M70 in 222, but I dont remember where or the asking price. Seems to me it was a FWT, but Im probably wrong.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Thanks for the note - reminds me to drag it out and take a better look to refresh my pos memory.. laugh laugh

Added: Just found it - you're right, cap shroud, blind mag, but with factory iron sights.. Just says "Winchester Model 70 222 Remington" on the barrel.

Not a mark on it that I can see. It's apparently little use. I think I've run about 50 rounds through it and that was over 20 years ago..

Probably non XTR, but I bet is shoots damn well.

BSA MAGA
H
H
I just bought a model 70XTR in 222. It's a heavy barrel varmint model. This rifle is mint. It came with an 8X32 mueller 30 mm scope. 4 boxes of ammo, bi pod and dies. I paid $750. Checked serial # made in 1979.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotshot828
I just bought a model 70XTR in 222. It's a heavy barrel varmint model. This rifle is mint. It came with an 8X32 mueller 30 mm scope. 4 boxes of ammo, bi pod and dies. I paid $750. Checked serial # made in 1979.
Awesome
I just bought a 700 222 varmint made in 75.
Congratulations on a cool gun

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Probably going to be a tack driver too. If it indeed "mint". Probably "scary accurate". Keep us posted, if you don't mind.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So a 1979 would still be a long action receiver with a blocked magazine?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
So a 1979 would still be a long action receiver with a blocked magazine?

Yep. They did not have any true short actions until 1984.

BSA MAGA
H
H
I got to the range to shoot my 70 xtr 222 heavy barrel. Wasn't happy with the groups. Nothing under 1/2 inch. 1 inch and under. Any one know what the torc should be on the action screws? Barrel is free floated from the black forend to the action. The barrel touches the black forend. Any suggestions?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I got to the range to shoot my 70 xtr 222 heavy barrel. Wasn't happy with the groups. Nothing under 1/2 inch. 1 inch and under. Any one know what the torc should be on the action screws? Barrel is free floated from the black forend to the action. The barrel touches the black forend. Any suggestions?

As most of us know, a Winchester model 70 is going to shoot its best when properly glass bedded. It will also do much better with the barrel freefloated. However, on a heavy barrel, I'd also make sure the barrel is supported by bedding under the chamber area. That much weight puts stress on the receiver. And....model 70's accuracy/precision are very influenced by stress on the receiver. After glass bedding, torquing to a certain # will not be an issue. Just tighten and go. No weird POI shift after you pull it from the stock etc. etc..

Sorry to hear your rifle did not shoot to your satisfaction. May I ask what ammo you were using? That may not be the issue, but you may want to try some different ammo as well as different bullets if you handload.

You may also want to switch to a "proven" scope, if you have one handy. Pull the bases and rings, degrease everything and blue loctite your bases and rings you intend to use on that rifle.

BSA MAGA
H
H
I had a lot of different powder and bullets. Hornady 52&53 gr. Match. 50 gr. V max. 50 gr. nosler sbt. 52 gr. Speer hp, 52 Berger , 45 sierra Spitzer, 55 sierra game king, 52 speer hp match. Powders H 4198,imr 4198, R7, v n133, benchmark imr3031, 8208, cfe black, tac

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a lot of different powder and bullets. Hornady 52&53 gr. Match. 50 gr. V max. 50 gr. nosler sbt. 52 gr. Speer hp, 52 Berger , 45 sierra Spitzer, 55 sierra game king, 52 speer hp match. Powders H 4198,imr 4198, R7, v n133, benchmark imr3031, 8208, cfe black, tac
Off the top of my head, that rifle has a 1 in 14” twist. That’s going to limit you to lighter bullets. Don’t know what ammo you were shooting either. Anything 55gr and heavier or longer may not stabilize optimally.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I missed out on this rifle, as the auction was rescheduled. It sold for $425. I don't think anyone would have been hurt at that price.

The surprising firearm sale item was the Norinco SKS that went for $900. They also sold an M1 Garand for $1800. Unfortunately, I didn't know condition on any of these firearms.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I doubt the buyer got hurt at $425. A Norinko sks for $900 is nuts and with a buyer’s premium about a grand in it.
I have never owned a Winchester 70 in .222 or .223. I would rather own one over a 700 ( I have a .222) just don’t run into many. Someday I will run into the right one.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Youth Ranger in .223, currently it sits in a SA FWT stock to increase the LOP. I really like the rifle, and have thought about rebarreling to a faster twist. The other reason is to get rid of the import markings. I was interested in the .222, but it definitely wasn't one I had to have.

Mom just shared all the prices with me from the auction over Christmas. That's why I drug the post back up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have a Youth Ranger in .223, currently it sits in a SA FWT stock to increase the LOP. I really like the rifle, and have thought about rebarreling to a faster twist. The other reason is to get rid of the import markings. I was interested in the .222, but it definitely wasn't one I had to have.

Mom just shared all the prices with me from the auction over Christmas. That's why I drug the post back up.

At $425, that was probably a great deal, unless it was totally beat up. As for your .223 rem Ranger, I'd leave it as is, unless it has thousands of rounds on the barrel. i don't know what twist rate is is, but if it will sling 53gr v-max bullets, I'd be just fine with it. However, if you went to a faster twist rate, you could shoot 77's and 88's probably with no issues. A nice slim .223 rem fwt would be cool.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
1:12 twist on the Ranger, and I usually just shoot 50-53 grain bullets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Man, if it shoots 53gr v max well, I'd leave it alone. Especially if it is very accurate. Do you intend on shooting more long range with this rifle?

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Do you intend on shooting more long range with this rifle?

Not really, but it's legal for deer in Oklahoma. If it would stabilize 55 grain monos I'd take it hunting once in a while. Oklahoma minimum is a 55 grain expanding bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,716
Posts18,494,610
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.