Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I was elk hunting a few years back and a grouse hopped up on a log about 40 yds away, just sat up there. I knocked my bird arrow with a Judo point and let it fly. I center punched the grouse and it disappeared in a cloud of feathers on the opposite side of the log. I could see a commotion and my arrow flopping around. That grouse flopped up onto it’s feet, and took off catching the wind and sailing down the mountain through the timber. My arrow was sticking halfway out both sides of the bird. Never found it. There was a quarter-sized chunk of meat on the other side of the log that the Judo ripped out of that grouse.

Timbermaster;
Good afternoon, thanks for the wonderful hunting story.

Since you've officially opened the "how tough can Blue Grouse be" stories and by the way I totally get that happening to you, I'll share our strangest.

In the late '80's we used to wander up onto a chunk of mountain that had no roads, so other than the rancher checking on his range cattle a buddy and I were the only two crazy enough to go there. I'll note that we were both much younger, fitter and indeed a bit touched to go some places we ended up, but what wonderful memories we've got because we did.

Anyways we used to bump into so many big flocks of Blues we decided to drag a .22 along with us. I can't say which one went along, we both had a few so likely the lightest one since we Canucks cannot be trusted with handguns afield.

We were sneaking across a bit of a Sagebrush opening when we saw a good sized flock spread out all around. Buddy took careful aim while I watched with my binos and at the shot, the head dropped onto it's breast indicating a perfect neck shot to me.

However as we were walking the 35 odd yards to pick it up, it began to flap it's wings furiously, with the head still hanging down loosely. It rather sort of "helicoptered" up and then pitched out over a fairly significant canyon wall we'd been skirting, finally dropping out of sight about 100yds into the middle of the tree filled canyon.

For sure we were disappointed in the loss of the meal, but nonetheless an illustration of how determined some things are to live perhaps?

All the best, thanks again and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Absolutely no experience with Montana grouse. But it looks like a sharp-tail to me.

100% correct-
The breast feather plumage ,head plumage & tail feathers tell the correct tale.
Sorry Dan and Buckstopper, but they birds pictured are dusky grouse. The wing primaries are black with white spots on sharptails. The primaries on sooty and dusky grouse are solid color with a light colored edge... exactly as the pictured birds. Also the tail feathers are wide and fan-like on these birds, not pointy like a sharpie.

For fly tying I have examples of almost all US gamebirds and spend a lot of time looking for very specific feathers.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was elk hunting a few years back and a grouse hopped up on a log about 40 yds away, just sat up there. I knocked my bird arrow with a Judo point and let it fly. I center punched the grouse and it disappeared in a cloud of feathers on the opposite side of the log. I could see a commotion and my arrow flopping around. That grouse flopped up onto it’s feet, and took off catching the wind and sailing down the mountain through the timber. My arrow was sticking halfway out both sides of the bird. Never found it. There was a quarter-sized chunk of meat on the other side of the log that the Judo ripped out of that grouse.
A sharpie headed down out of a tree (without the arrow, of course) is about the fastest bird I have ever missed. Many times I have watched people try to hit one after shooting one sitting and failing to even get a shot at the second. And they are tough birds!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
"They" have decided there are two species formerly known as blue grouse. The ones you show are 'dusky grouse" while our SE AK birds are "sooty grouse."

Just an FYI.

Sitka;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust that you and your fine family are all having a decent day and are well.

Thanks for the chuckle this afternoon, as I was about to post something similar but yet again had to look up what we're supposed to have here.

As you know, I've taught the BC Hunter Safety Course for 34 odd years and somewhere a few years back, how many I can't begin to guess now Sitka, low and behold the new manual has two kinds of Blue Grouse!!! eek

Now being entirely honest, I was still getting over the fact they'd finally added turkeys to the manual after years of us assuring them there were in fact turkeys here and that the MOE had even put in a hunting season.

Oh and there used to be a question regarding whether there were Grizzly on Vancouver Island or not and the answer back when was no, but apparently some grizzly took that as a challenge and at latest count the MOE says there's somewhere north of a couple dozen now.

Anyways all that to say that "they" say our Blues here in the southern Interior of BC are "Dusky" and some magic line west of us they turn into "Sooty".

If I was guessing, I'd guess about Hope, BC where they filmed the first Rambo movie back in the dinosaur days. That's about where the mulies become blacktails so that's why the guess, but again it's only my guess.

All the best and thanks for making me look a few things up and the chuckle.

Dwayne

They did similar to us on black rockfish many years ago and we now have dusky and black rockfish...

Always trying to make it tough on old guys...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A sharpie headed down out of a tree (without the arrow, of course) is about the fastest bird I have ever missed. Many times I have watched people try to hit one after shooting one sitting and failing to even get a shot at the second. And they are tough birds!

The fastest sharptail I ever saw was one I shot out of a pine tree. It only bounced once after it hit the ground and a blue duck hawk hit that thing in the air on the bounce. That’s the last I saw the hawk and the sharptail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I agree with Art. I doubt sharptail go to 7400 feet, and..... they have "hairy" feet IIRC - I might not- it's been awhile..

I grew up in central ND, where all we had were sharptail. I've seen exactly one in the Fairbanks area.

Last edited by las; 10/06/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I agree with Art. I doubt sharptail go to 7400 feet, and..... they have "hairy" feet IIRC - I might not- it's been awhile..

I grew up in central ND, where all we had were sharptail. I've seen exactly one in the Fairbanks area.

I usually see 2-3 sharptail a year north of Fairbanks but they seem pretty spooky and rarely give me a shot. I have killed a few though.

To the OP, that it most definitely, 100% a blue grouse (or Dusky if a guy wants to be with the times). Classic dry land blue habitat in the background too.

Bird on the left is a Sharptail from Fairbanks area. Their feather patterns are a bit different than the sharptail n Montana, but not much.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These are classic blues from Montana, exactly what the OP has:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by blairvt
High altitude blue grouse, the best fall has to offer…

I'll bite, what kind of shotgun is that? Looks like a Stevens but don't recognize the hammer.

It is a Burgess, wrist slide action shotgun made in the 1890's by Andrew Burgess. A prolific gun inventor, second only to John Browning, with hundreds of patents, which some are still in use today. You can see the triggergroup slides backward to work the action. A very simple and effective shotgun action...

And fewer than 8,000 were made. I have one of the short-barrel, fold-up models (intended for concealed carry?)

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
It is a Burgess, wrist slide action shotgun made in the 1890's by Andrew Burgess. A prolific gun inventor, second only to John Browning, with hundreds of patents, which some are still in use today. You can see the triggergroup slides backward to work the action. A very simple and effective shotgun action...

And fewer than 8,000 were made. I have one of the short-barrel, fold-up models (intended for concealed carry?)[/quote]

Like this…

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948

And fewer than 8,000 were made. I have one of the short-barrel, fold-up models (intended for concealed carry?)

Like this…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote]

Like that, but yours is in much better condition than mine which, if not rode hard and put up wet, shows its age.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I enjoy bird watching and when I lived in Roseburg Oregon a couple years ago I was up in the mountains west of town many times for walks and bird watching. I kept hearing that low booming noise that Sooty Grouse make and would try and try to see one. It was fun and frustrating at the same time. Finally one day I was driving home and saw a female with chicks along the road and stopped and got some photos. I heard a male hooting up the hill and hiked up there and finally saw my 1st male Sooty Grouse. It was way up in a tree. I got a photo and video. One of my most prized photos of a bird.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Does it take a bit of practice to not "slam-fire" the Burgess? Or does the trigger need to be released to be re-set?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Whatever they’re called, I don’t appreciate it when they blast off from under my horse’s nose….😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, I have been startled many times by grouse. They can practically stop your heart.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 14 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.