Print Thread
Hop To
A
ajf55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I returned from Scotland a couple of weeks ago and had great hunt and overall trip. I reached out to Mike Taylor Sporting and he hooked my wife and I up with a great outfit and we had an exceptional two days hunting the Highlands in central Scotland. I was able to get two nice animals, a sika stag and a red stag. The two days were somewhat different experiences, with definitely different weather each day. The first day was absolutely beautiful with much surprising sunny weather and very little rain. The second day I think was a little more typical of Scottish weather….lots of rain.

We were too early for the stag rut, but the sika’s were starting to rut and we were able to hear their calls, which was a very cool experience. To be honest the whole thing was a very cool experience and something I thought was never a possibility. We saw lots of red deer and only a few of the more reclusive sika, but their was no shortage of them.

If anyone has any interest in a phenomenal hunt for true free range stags in beautiful Scotland, I highly recommend you reach out to MIke. I would like to say it was a once in a lifetime experience, but I will be headed back again in a couple of years. And by the way Scotland was the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

Attached Images
IMG_2023-10-06-072721.jpeg (15.66 KB, 397 downloads)
IMG_2023-10-06-073434.jpeg (17.54 KB, 385 downloads)
IMG_2023-10-06-073028.jpeg (15.09 KB, 385 downloads)
IMG_2023-10-06-072951.jpeg (11.28 KB, 382 downloads)
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Congrats on the fine trophies and thanks for posting. This is a hunt I really want to do in the near future.

My wife isn't much of a traveler but we raise Highland cattle and she would like to see them in Scotland someday. Seems like a good way to sneak a hunt in as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ajf55
I returned from Scotland a couple of weeks ago and had great hunt and overall trip. I reached out to Mike Taylor Sporting and he hooked my wife and I up with a great outfit and we had an exceptional two days hunting the Highlands in central Scotland. I was able to get two nice animals, a sika stag and a red stag. The two days were somewhat different experiences, with definitely different weather each day. The first day was absolutely beautiful with much surprising sunny weather and very little rain. The second day I think was a little more typical of Scottish weather….lots of rain.

We were too early for the stag rut, but the sika’s were starting to rut and we were able to hear their calls, which was a very cool experience. To be honest the whole thing was a very cool experience and something I thought was never a possibility. We saw lots of red deer and only a few of the more reclusive sika, but their was no shortage of them.

If anyone has any interest in a phenomenal hunt for true free range stags in beautiful Scotland, I highly recommend you reach out to MIke. I would like to say it was a once in a lifetime experience, but I will be headed back again in a couple of years. And by the way Scotland was the most beautiful place I have ever been to.

What was the cost of something like this? I'd like to do it if within my means.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work…the Scottish Highlands are indeed an incredible place. I have never hunted there but did see stag running around in the hills near Durness.

I’d love to hunt it but their season always coincides with too much of my American hunting which is why all of my overseas hunts are in spring, either for critters that have spring ruts, or in the Southern Hemisphere where the stag rut during our springs. Great experiences.

Gotta love your experience though, no doubt.

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mike Taylor is a first rate hunting agent and he organizes great hunting trip to good areas with first rate guides.

IC B2

A
ajf55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Ky221
Congrats on the fine trophies and thanks for posting. This is a hunt I really want to do in the near future.

My wife isn't much of a traveler but we raise Highland cattle and she would like to see them in Scotland someday. Seems like a good way to sneak a hunt in as well.

My wife fell in love with the Highland Cows, we spent a significant amount of time trying to find them. She wants us to get some here.

A
ajf55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by ajf55

What was the cost of something like this? I'd like to do it if within my means.

I do not want to speak for the specific costs of the hunt as my understanding is it can change somewhat, but costs for management stags is around $600- $800. The hunt IMO was very affordable. The red stag I giot was not a management stag, but the sikas are the same price no matter what and my sika was somewhat average. Mike has some good pictures of representative animals on accuraterealoading.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations ajf55, sounds like a great trip!

KB

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Who is "Mike" and how do I contact him?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
ajf55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Hancock27

Who is "Mike" and how do I contact him?

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsportinggmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What shells were you hunting with?

Have fun.....j3
A
ajf55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by jimmy3
What shells were you hunting with?

They provided a Tikka in 270 and I believe it was a 110 or 120 mono bullet. Shots were taken from 120 and 180 yards and the bullet performed well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent a week traveling through Scotland over spring break, saw quite a few stag and had only wished I had planned a hunt while I was there. Very nice!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Does anyone know how the free-range Sika bucks in Scotland compare to the free-range Sika bucks in New Zealand for size etc?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Is bringing your own firearms an option?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
A
ajf55 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Is bringing your own firearms an option?

My understanding is yes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How did your wife get to go on a stag hunt? grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 15 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.