Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
What do you shoot and how do you like it? Are you keeping it or looking for something different?

Looking to get a new bow this winter or early spring. I have a 20 year old Matthews Outback. Nothing wrong with it but it's time for something newer.

I'm not even sure what to look for anymore. My wife and kids all have much newer and cheaper equipment than mine and it's faster and quieter than what I have.

Deer hunting in the Midwest will be what it's used for 80% of the time. I'd love to start bowhunting is South Dakota some. My shots would not be more than 50 yards, probably ever and will be more like 25 and under around home.

Not looking for the fastest bow in town. I like to shoot heavy arrow with heavy broadheads. But they're all faster than what I have now.

I'm open to pretty much anything but have looked at Mathews Image, Matthews Phase 4, Bear Adapt and Bear Legend XR. That shop also sells Prime.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a new BowTech 34SS this year and it's the best bow I've ever owned. Make sure to check it out.

Best of luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The biggest problem when looking for a new gadget, is buying it new. It doesn’t matter if it is a gun, bow or optics, you best deal is to get a better used bow than an OK new bow.

I bought a Mathews “Chill” when they first came out and hunted with it for several years. It is a better bow than the Switchback by a bunch. My son got a new bow this year and gave me his 3 year old Mathews VXR, and it is much better than the Chill.

Start looking for a used VXR, they are several years old now and archery equipment becomes much more affordable once a new model comes out.

Forget second tier new stuff and buy top tier used stuff, you will find out you are getting way more for your money…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The biggest problem when looking for a new gadget, is buying it new. It doesn’t matter if it is a gun, bow or optics, you best deal is to get a better used bow than an OK new bow.

I bought a Mathews “Chill” when they first came out and hunted with it for several years. It is a better bow than the Switchback by a bunch. My son got a new bow this year and gave me his 3 year old Mathews VXR, and it is much better than the Chill.

Start looking for a used VXR, they are several years old now and archery equipment becomes much more affordable once a new model comes out.

Forget second tier new stuff and buy top tier used stuff, you will find out you are getting way more for your money…

That's a good option. They did have some used bows at that shop too.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
PSE

IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
PSE

I misspoke when I said I'm open to anything. LOL. Not that.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Old Hoyt Trykon, no need to replace it yet, still going strong and I shoot it well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

That's a good option. They did have some used bows at that shop too.

I'll echo shrap - were it my money I'd rather have a 2-4 year old, used flagship model from Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt than a brand new mid-low tier from anyone. Money will work out to about the same. Plenty of guys that need to have the newest bow every year that take a bath on their older ones. If you're not trying to get it outfitted until after this bow season time is on your side.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by hanco
PSE

I misspoke when I said I'm open to anything. LOL. Not that.

PSE has been completely changed with John Dudley's designs. He worked for Hoyt for a long time. You see Hoyt in many of the new PSEs.

I run Elite but I am probably going to pick up a PSE EVO EVL 34 EC just for the hell of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot a Hoyt Torrex XT. My 3rd. First was the regular Torrex, then on a whim decided to see what my league scores would be with the regular Torrex vs Torrex XT (same average over 10 weeks), them my shoulder started giving me fits so I bought a 50#'er. Liked them all and have kill 3 elk and 2 pronghorn with them so far.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by centershot
I shoot a Hoyt Torrex XT. My 3rd. First was the regular Torrex, then on a whim decided to see what my league scores would be with the regular Torrex vs Torrex XT (same average over 10 weeks), them my shoulder started giving me fits so I bought a 50#'er. Liked them all and have kill 3 elk and 2 pronghorn with them so far.

That's kind of where I'm at. My wife and girls are shooting 50# bows and are faster and quieter than mine. My son shoots 70# but he's 19 and hasn't learned yet. laugh

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bear species long draw

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I agree with Shrapnel and Tzone. I picked up a VXR 31.5, and it shoots like a dream. I'm on year 3 with mine; can't see not keeping that one for the duration. I do still have my Reezen 6.5 for backup!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
#49lb Bob Lee recurve.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder, a 2020'ish Matthews VXR31.5 and a Black Widow Recurve (forget model but shorter riser with the longer limbs, I think 58" overall). I bought the BW in like new condition but used for about 40% of cost of a new one but with someone else's initials on the bow. I've always shot recurves and they're pretty simple so was able to it up myself.

To me, it's whether a person knows enough about archery (and has access to a bow press!) to buy a used bow and save a good bit of money or pay up for a new one and develop a relationship with the local shop to help you set it up and get going with the new bow.

Regarding bows, the Matthews grip feels a little blocky to me and the bow feels a little top heavy. Though, it shoots great. The 2014 Hoyt Carbon is my favorite compound I've had, though I've only had a handful. I think the older Hoyt has a great reputation with many people.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot an old Mathews Legacy. It shoots fantastic and is fast enough for me so I’ve never upgraded.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An original Grayling, MI made, 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve purchased in 1973 or 4. A Mathews Conquest II that is 41" axle to axle, long by today's standards. I also have an Excalibur 340 Mag crossgun. Haven't hunted with it yet but I will. Between the recurve and the compound just depends on my set and shot distance potential.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you’re planning to keep the new one 20 years like your current bow, I would buy new and top of the line from a reputable pro shop.

I used to buy a new one or two every year. Now I keep them 5 or 6 years and get a new one. Currently have a Mathews VXR that’s 3 years old. It’s a great bow.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot/use an Elite Enkore, fantastic bow! It checked every box I had for a bow when I got it a couple years ago. I've had other Elite bows, no disappointment with them for me.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by hookeye; 10/14/23.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That’s an awesome bow!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had an Outback a few bows back liked that one a lot
Mathews MQ 32
Mathews Outback
Mathews Helium
Mathews Halon 7

And now Mathews VX3

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
07 Bowtech Allegiance.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I’m shooting a Bear Adapt 60#.

It’s easy to shoot, was easy to tune, and fit in my budget.

I will probably buy a second bow next year so I can set one up for turkey and one for 4 legged beasts.

I will probably buy a Hoyt VTM or a PSE Mach

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
10 years ago my wife bought me a BW KBX. 51 pounds at 30 inches. That thing is addictive to shoot. Just can't put it down. Over the years I've killed several deer with it, coyotes, a bobcat, coons, bout anything that came close to the tree. I got bored with wheel bows. Pull back, put the pin on it, and kill. That recurve will teach you so much about bow hunting and when the arrow does find the mark, the satisfaction is unmatched. But. You have to shoot and shoot. Practice all the time.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88

I will probably buy a second bow next year so I can set one up for turkey and one for 4 legged beasts.

I do like the adapt. But why 2?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
V3 27" and a new Phase 4 29"

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My first bow was a Bear Encounter. I really didn’t think that one through. A bear encounter was the last thing I wanted. Got rid of it next season.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bout ready to sell my Widow LOL
Doe ducked it yesterday.
Used my last set of whispers setting up a string for a diff bow (sold w that new string on it).
Only using one set, at proper node, on this one.
But sometimes they need 2 sets, as my 60# Blackwidow HS needed.
That worked like a charm.

This new bow is less # and slow.
Add a bit of noise and yup, she ducked it clean.

I'll kill her next weekend.

Honestly, I'd have felt bad blasting her w wheels/sights. Too easy.
Figured yesterday was easy too, w bent stick.

Nope.

She's toast next weekend.

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88

I do like the adapt. But why 2?

Because I like to have a backup. Also, I really want a dedicated turkey bow setup for the Magnus Bullhead.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Matthews V3 31 is a really nice. Used a Z7 for 10 years before that had a Hoyt for years when I shot fingers. Started with a Darton XL50 back in 85.

Like Bowhunting now more than ever and it is nice having a new bow but the 3-5 year old version is a lot less money.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just bought a new bow in '84. It's a Hoyt Pro Vantage Hunter. Still haven't decided whether to keep it, or not.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Obsession Delta 6.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a G5 Quest Drive. Bought it probably 6 or so years ago.

I like it quite a bit. It’s fast enough, 330 or 335 IBO. I like the draw, has a really solid back wall, and at 33” or so, is on the short side but still reasonable. 7” brace height.

I do think I shot my old bow more accurately. It was an early 2000’s, 04 I think, Dayton Typhoon. It was longer, 36 or 37” ata, and had a more full grip.

I’m not a fan of the skinny bare bones grips that are so popular. New bow has a bunch of hockey tape on the grip.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I replace this bow, it’ll be with something like the Elite Rezult 36.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Of the one's I've played with in the last month or so I like the Elite Envision, Elite Omnia, Matthews Phase 4, Matthews Image, Hoyt RX7, Hoyt Torrex, and Hoyt VTM.

I like the feel of the carbon bows for sure. The price, not so much. But if I keep this like I did my last one, I'll be to old to use it by then anyway. So it would be a decent purchase.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven’t shot a carbon riser bow. They look pretty damn cool though!

Wait a year and buy a 2022 model.

A lot of archery enthusiasts are a fickle bunch. They gotta get that new bow every year. I’ve no doubt somebody like Levi Morgan would kick my azz with a 20 year old bow, no matter what new fangled super bow I might be shooting. But hell, new toys, even kinda new used toys, are fun.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Right now because of crazy corporate mismanagement it is the best time in many years to buy a near new model bow from Sportsman's Warehouse.
I know that I bought an Elite Enkore and a PSE EVO EVL 34 together for less than the MAP price of either. They have current year Bowtechs and Carbon Bows stupid cheap as well.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lookin at 15" metal riser w supercurve carbon limb of some sort.

Got a 2022 Blackwidow PSA2 thats my main rig

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Right now because of crazy corporate mismanagement it is the best time in many years to buy a near new model bow from Sportsman's Warehouse.
I know that I bought an Elite Enkore and a PSE EVO EVL 34 together for less than the MAP price of either. They have current year Bowtechs and Carbon Bows stupid cheap as well.

Funny you mention that. I was there yesterday and looked to see what they had. All they had was some horseshidt xbows.

What you say makes sense that they’d be sold out of them.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Go online.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Zone, have you shot any Diamonds yet? Just curious.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rooster, yep. That's what most of my kids have. That's also what my wife has.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love my Darton Vapor Bow, all I will ever need.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matthews V3X33. No plans to change anytime soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
If you don't belong to Archerytalk I'd join, they have 100's of used bows listed from great members weekly. Just don't get caught up in the real short axle to axle or short brace height bows, they will be very touchy for you to shoot, transitioning from your old bow.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both bows started out as fence posts in an earlier life

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a good day for something.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those are cool Rudy

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Matthews ultra 2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice bows Rudyc. Love those long bows

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bowtech 34SS 60#

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Howatt Hunter for Trad, Old Matthew’s Drenalin & now a Ravin crossbow. All work good when I do my part.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 11/11/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obsession Fixation 6XP and a Big Jim Desert Bighorn.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Border Covert Hunter with Hex 9 limbs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot several brands/configurations. A brand won’t stipulate what you like, or not. There are tons of excellent bows out now, it depends on feel, I personally like a hard back wall when I draw, Prime bows draw cycle stops on the limb, so when you are at full draw it’s a firm stop, not “spongy”. Some don’t like that, so I suggest shooting several brands at a pro shop, and search accordingly.

MK
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MK257
Shoot several brands/configurations. A brand won’t stipulate what you like, or not. There are tons of excellent bows out now, it depends on feel, I personally like a hard back wall when I draw, Prime bows draw cycle stops on the limb, so when you are at full draw it’s a firm stop, not “spongy”. Some don’t like that, so I suggest shooting several brands at a pro shop, and search accordingly.
I like the solid wall too.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Black widow recurve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rudyc
Both bows started out as fence posts in an earlier life

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome, right on!

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

The Mathews V3 and V3Xare really nice too

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A Bear Kodiak Magnum.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I first started bow hunting with a PSE then I bought a newer Hoyt. This year I decided to buy a matthews cause a bunch of people in my family have them. I will never buy another bow. The phase 4 is very nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Zipper man, have 3 Nitros currently, but been eyeballing an SXT.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mathews V3 31. By far the quietest bow I shot when I got it. The Phase 4 is noticeably quieter than it. Quiet was the most important to me. The PSE EVO sounded like a .22 in comparison and the Hoyt had a little more vibration and noise. Like a rifle, shoot a few and pick the one that feels best to you.

I also shoot a few different recurves.

Isaiah 6:8

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Shot Mathews then switched over to Elite loved the elite then shot the Phase 4 so back to Mathews.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am a trad guy, and draw 29++ inches. I shoot them all. (draw weights @ 28")

1962 Bear Polar zebra wood, 66" amo, 41# ( made on a 1961 Kodiak Special form). Sweet.
Wing Archery / Head Ski mfg, "Gull", 64" amo, have them in 37#, 41# and 43#. Great bows.
Wing Archery / Head Ski mfg, Red Wing Hunter, 58" amo, 41#

Spyder XL takedown recurve, amo 64", 40# from Southwest archery. $150 bow that shoots as well or better than one 4x the cost. ( similar to Samick Journey)

ILF: 19" White Feather Lark riser, TradTech 40# long limbs for 64" amo , a smooth drawing quick bow.

Bodnik Slick Stick reflex deflex longbow, 64" (yes 64") AMO, 45# @30" custom.
Sky Hunter Trophy longbow, 66" amo, 40#@28" , Love it.

Never shot a compound bow.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Elite Remedy. 60 lbs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2009 Browning Grand illusion
2004 Browning Eclipse SLX (my back-up)

Both 67-ish lbs and 30"

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It seems as though most bow guys are like golfers. Always tempted to buy the newest release of advanced tech in search of the one that is perfect.

I don’t shoot a bow much so can deal with not having the latest and greatest on the market. I have a Hoyt CRX 32 that was made in 2012. I bought it 4-5 years ago for 1/3 what it cost new. I’m sure there are hundreds of better bows that have been made since mine but I’m OK with it being “good enough”. There are certainly smoother bows with a less harsh cam!

I can pick it up after 6 months and hit a 3/4” target dot 70% of the time at 20 yards. Groups open up as. I get to 35 but that is more about old eyes than it is the bow. I’m not looking for an upgrade.

B
B
Hoyt double xl

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a Hoyt Dorado and a Bear Outbreak with a firenock arrow rest for quite a few years, with no issues.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tall Tines 58” with two sets of limbs, 52# and 48#. I mostly shoot the 48#, but elk and moose (if I ever get drawn) I keep the 52# for those. 50# minimum in my state for moose.

I do shoot my 62” Black Widow (51#) recurve quite a lot as well. Arrows are generally 500 grains or a little more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Mathews VXR. It was a good upgrade over my 2009 Bowtech Sniper.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
J
J
I love my Hoyt Ventum Pro 30. You should be able to find a used one, as mine is two years old. I’ve been a Hoyt guy for 25 years….

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Our bow season in this part of PA runs from mid-September to the Friday following Thanksgiving and picks up again after Christmas until the end of January. I generally don't hunt that late season since it's also flintlock season for us too.

Regardless, some time ago I realized that having something like 10 weeks of archery season, which is when the VAST majority of my hunting opportunities occur, and not having a spare bow seemed like a dumb move on my part.

I have run two bows now since 2016 for that reason. I had a 2009 Bowtech Captain, which I really liked. That was traded last summer.

My current 2 bows are both Hoyts.

2016 Defiant

2022 RX7

I enjoy them both. I had been planning to do this rotation every 6-7 years (sell/trade the secondary, move the primary to secondary, get a new primary), but I REALLY like both my current bows. Both are in great shape, both are great shooters. I think I'm going to spend the time/resources now on things like a bow press and other tools to create more independence from the archery shop where I still need them. Not that I have a bad shop close by. They're really good and have bailed me out of jams in the past, but they're not open 24/7 and in hunting season, crap happens when stores aren't open generally.

I am glad I went carbon riser. I've groused about cold risers for years, and this November I enjoyed not having an ice brick in my hand when holding my bow. For my hunting setups here, the weight isn't really the issue for me. The cold of the riser is annoying though on aluminum risers, and I enjoyed the difference this past season now having a carbon riser. People say they're "warm to the touch." I didn't experience that, but they also don't suck every bit of heat out of your hand, either, and they DO warm up if you've got them in your hand long enough. Aluminum will not. Something to maybe consider.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ordered a green 2024 Hoyt Torrex, 65#.
Have a 2022 Blackwidow PSA2 46#

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bowtech SS34

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot a Hoyt Nitrum Turbo, I think it's a 2016. it's fairly fast and flat, though I may choke my spit and testfire a Matthews someday

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
some years ago son shot 3 nice bulls one each year out west one bull was a monster 380 class with a 10 year old Hoyt bow the last year we went son purchased a new Hoyt bow and did not get a bull that year , he never did get a shot at a bull either that year so that new bow did him no good. my son won some state titles indoors with 300 60 x`s , won some outdoors also and a new or a used bow or any bow brand in a good archer`s hands makes no difference to kill a deer ,elk or what ever its the archer`s ability always. . > i will mention this for the sake of a older bow : my son had not shot his target bow for 4 years a target Hoyt , come home from college took his bow with old strings,target scope sights ,old target arrows ,same old release went too a pro money shoot in Anoka ,Minnesota tied for 3rd and won the shoot off 5 x`s in shoot off , believe it or not many brand new target bows and some real good shooters there too . this is the truth the pro that won the shoot had the same Hoyt target bow that my son had a 5 or 6 year old target Hoyt bow but his was tuned with new strings. lots of practice wins and kills more game than a pretty new bow .

Last edited by pete53; 01/13/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I shoot a Hoyt Charger

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im a believer in if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Ive got a Mathews DXT from 2009 I think. Love this bow. Always shoots great. I bought a Mathews VXR28 a couple of years ago and just finally shooting good with it. Im still not a fan of dual limb design bows. Too wide and heavy. Im also thinking that all limbs eventually loose some temper and with 4 limbs now the chances are doubled. Maybe Im wrong but it seems one weak limb will cause the cables to slip off the cam.
I also have some trad bows that I carry for fun hunts. A Big Jims Thunderchild TD gets the most usage with a PSE Blackhawk, a 1968 Bear Grizzly and 1970ish Bearcat in rotation.
The Mathews VXR28 is in my avatar pic.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Currently shooting a Hoyt Nitrum but thinking about getting something new this year. Really considering a Mathews.

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I like hoyt

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ridge250
I like hoyt

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Damn nice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brackenbury take down 59 pound recurve.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Over the past 43 years, too many to count.
Last vertical bow was a 42# Great Plains recurve

But, alas, rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders, wrist surgery and the onset of RA have forced me to the dark side - an Excalibur.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure like my Hoyt VTM 34. 600 gr arrow shooting 200 gr 2 blade single bevel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Todd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some really great bulls guys, congrats!

Nothing like hunting for elk with a bow, that's hunting in its purest form if you ask me, so much fun, especially in the USA. cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/28/24.

KB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
2012 Bowtech Assassin .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Over the past 43 years, too many to count.
Last vertical bow was a 42# Great Plains recurve

But, alas, rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders, wrist surgery and the onset of RA have forced me to the dark side - an Excalibur.

RA sucks azz. Ive had to drop #. Bones still good and meds reduced pain a bunch, but stuff just aint right.....is weaker.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
70 years on the planet sure ain't helping here either. Time to drop my draw weight if I want to keep my shoulder intact according to the doc.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lot of great options out there & what fits me may not fit you & your needs best. I stand 6' 2" & have a 30" draw length. I have purchased a lot of bows over the years More Hoyts than anything else. In 2017 I purchased a used Carbon Defiant 34. I really liked it. In 2018 I came across another good deal on a 2nd CD34 so I purchased that as a primary bow & I keep my 1st CD34 as a back up. My desire to try something new has been quenched with the CD34. Something about it just fits me.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I do subscribe to the "buy a used bow and get a much better deal/bow for the money" but something else to consider:

I have a Prime Centurgy Hybrid from 2018ish (?) and I bought it new. BUT with Prime bows you get new strings every two years for free. So if you take into account what that cost it can play a factor on "how much a new bow actually costs." Also, I have been very happy with my Prime and would absolutely buy their bows again.

That being said, If you strictly take into account the sticker price of the new bows then my picks for the best bow for the money would be the HOYT Torrex, or any of the BEAR archery compounds

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What do you shoot and how do you like it? Are you keeping it or looking for something different?

Looking to get a new bow this winter or early spring. I have a 20 year old Matthews Outback. Nothing wrong with it but it's time for something newer.

I'm not even sure what to look for anymore. My wife and kids all have much newer and cheaper equipment than mine and it's faster and quieter than what I have.

Deer hunting in the Midwest will be what it's used for 80% of the time. I'd love to start bowhunting is South Dakota some. My shots would not be more than 50 yards, probably ever and will be more like 25 and under around home.

Not looking for the fastest bow in town. I like to shoot heavy arrow with heavy broadheads. But they're all faster than what I have now.

I'm open to pretty much anything but have looked at Mathews Image, Matthews Phase 4, Bear Adapt and Bear Legend XR. That shop also sells Prime.

I am in the same boat sort of. I have two bows, one being a Diamond Ice Man which is nice and compact. My other bow is a Bow Tech Captain, which is a great stand-hunting bow. It is quiet and fast, I have taken deer with both. I have looked into the new Bow Tech bows and they look great. I chose to search eBay for used or last year's models, sometimes they offer a complete bow already set up with good equipment at 20-30% off retail! You need to look through the list.

Last edited by Adk_BackCountry; 02/09/24.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son gave me his Mathews VXR that was 3 years old and I replaced my Mathews Monster “Chill” with that bow. It is a nice bow, but with the latest that Mathews has to offer, I tried the newest Mathews bow the “Lift.”

After shooting it and feeling how hard it was to pull, compared to my VXR, I put it back on the shelf. Mathews is probably the most innovative bow manufacturer, but this bow isn’t worth considering. I suspect there are people out there that will buy the bow, it is dead in the hand when shot, but getting it pulled to shoot it isn’t worth the price or improvement…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
An Elite Ritual. Its treated me well. Time for something new here soon.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Just got a 2024 Hoyt Torrex as backup to my Blackwidow recurve.

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
1970 Bear Kodiak magnum.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.