Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American
So, troll, all your word salad BS so far has been about a 200 yard effective range max chambering that throws a brick with a brick's BC, and pressures that come NOWHERE near endangering a throat.

I've two 35 Rems here. Whacha wanna know?

Rhetorical question, of course.

For a newbie you've gotten good about throwing out the troll word, especially to a poster who's been here since 2012. while you've only been here a little over a month and have over 400 posts. I'd say you're a sockpuppet who will soon be exposed.

Newbie..............you need to respect your elders.

HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
So, troll, all your word salad BS so far has been about a 200 yard effective range max chambering that throws a brick with a brick's BC, and pressures that come NOWHERE near endangering a throat.

For a newbie you've gotten good about throwing out the troll word, especially to a poster who's been here since 2012. while you've only been here a little over a month and have over 400 posts. I'd say you're a sockpuppet who will soon be exposed.

maybe he's breating in too much manure he produces

Last edited by anothergun; 10/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick...that you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dude, I'm just a random irrelevant anonymous guy on the internet that wants to talk matter of fact truths about shooting and hunting.

Some "elders" here say this joker is really "Maser". He's yet to deny it. Not even in all the stupid PMs the idiot has sent me. I've dug into that enough to know it's not somebody I'd even try to respect.

How'd you get your 18.5K post count in only 8 years?

Seems you're quite a heavy poster yourself.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by anothergun

LMAO, really? Just because I'm new HERE I have to watch myself ? LOL Yeah Ok.... I'm glad there's no Mods here, it's nice to expose the ones who really aren't up on thier game like they think they are. CONSIDERING that this kind of Kentucky windage crap shoot most of us are playing, I would say stuff the sock in your mouth and go shoot marbles with your friends !! How's that ? POPS!

Um, I think JamesJr was defending you.

Idiot.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A

Dude, I'm just a random irrelevant anonymous guy on the internet that wants to talk matter of fact truths about shooting and hunting.

Some "elders" here say this joker is really "Maser". He's yet to deny it. Not even in all the stupid PMs the idiot has sent me. I've dug into that enough to know it's not somebody I'd even try to respect.

How'd you get your 18.5K post count in only 8 years?

Seems you're quite a heavy poster yourself.

Lets see if I can clarify this for your not so pee brain, considering you seem to, seem, to be up on your game. However...... you don't have all the answers, do you ? No you don't, so like I said in the past... try and work on your people skills a bit, and make a post and move on even if you don't like what I say, right or wrong. Oh and BTW your status here, really doesn't mean diddly squat to me or just the people reading and moving on. I don't need to know anything about what you know about the 35 Remington, so to be honest out of a tree stand or in the thick, I don't need a hot rod of a load that you think I need. SO I don't need ta know.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Stick...that you?
Can’t be stick. Not enough hints

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ball/Spherical Double base powders that deliver more velocity out the muzzle tend to produce less throat erosion, so you can say generally speaking that most like to be near the max end of a load, admit it, I do, why else do manuals tell us to find the charge that nearly fills the case for the highest velocity ?

Stick single base can do it too, if the velocity isn't kept up out the muzzle. Considering Ball/Spherical powder is more consistent than most Stick powders, not all but most. Just because Additives are mixed in doesn't mean it's set in stone. You wanna keep the throat in tact more, keep up your load out the muzzle.

WTF?

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
don't seem so confused, life ain't perfect unless your loads are, like a fart in the wind !! LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JacquesShellac
Ball/Spherical Double base powders that deliver more velocity out the muzzle tend to produce less throat erosion, so you can say generally speaking that most like to be near the max end of a load, admit it, I do, why else do manuals tell us to find the charge that nearly fills the case for the highest velocity ?

Stick single base can do it too, if the velocity isn't kept up out the muzzle. Considering Ball/Spherical powder is more consistent than most Stick powders, not all but most. Just because Additives are mixed in doesn't mean it's set in stone. You wanna keep the throat in tact more, keep up your load out the muzzle.

WTF?

A'ight, y'all have fun with this nitwit. I can't stoop to this level of stupid this many times in one day. He's all yours, if you can figure out what he's trying to say.

BTW, I see that "Maser" is now "following" me. So there's gotta be something to it. Fuc king pedophile. Too bad ya can't outright block people on this site, but the dumbass is now on ignore.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A

LMAO, really? Just because I'm new HERE I have to watch myself ? LOL Yeah Ok.... I'm glad there's no Mods here, it's nice to expose the ones who really aren't up on thier game like they think they are. CONSIDERING that this kind of Kentucky windage crap shoot most of us are playing, I would say stuff the sock in your mouth and go shoot marbles with your friends !! How's that ? POPS!

Um, I think JamesJr was defending you.

Idiot.

I missed Troll, yeah I don't call nobody that. You do, so yeah wise up and respect your elders !! LOL

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JacquesShellac

WTF?

A'ight, y'all have fun with this nitwit. I can't stoop to this level of stupid this many times in one day. He's all yours, if you can figure out what he's trying to say.

BTW, I see that "Maser" is now "following" me. So there's gotta be something to it. Fuc king pedophile. Too bad ya can't outright block people on this site, but the dumbass is now on ignore.

Alot of competitions were won by this EXPERT, i'm sure ! He knows all the perfect combinations in one magical hat, the cat in the hat.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Well what started out as legitimate questions and concerns about reloads, powders,and ballistic characteristics has evolved into a verbal pissing contest between invisible forum egos. It’s a shame really as it just makes it impossible for reasonable and experienced shooters to share their knowledge.

Rick

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Well what started out as legitimate questions and concerns about reloads, powders,and ballistic characteristics has evolved into a verbal pissing contest between invisible forum egos. It’s a shame really as it just makes it impossible for reasonable and experienced shooters to share their knowledge.

Rick
I think it’s one poster on here who’s trying to impress everyone with their supposed knowledge. Happens all the time

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They don't know what they don't know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Stick...that you?
Can’t be stick. Not enough hints
Good point

A
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Woodpecker

Rick

It's anal retentive thing and splitting hairs. Ok so This Feral guy says Winchester makes W760, AND? Hodgdon only owns the company and knows nothing about the powder ? This is what I mean about splitting hairs. Why wouldn't Hodgdons know about the two powders being the same ? They test them don't they ? and why would they say they are the same if they weren't ? For what reason ?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That one statement right there tells us ALL we need to know about what you DON'T know about load development and component choices. If an ambient temp change trashes your "accuracy", you need to get back to the drawing board. Your load is NOT operating efficiently, and you are NOT sitting in the middle of a velocity plateau. What you have is a load that gave you an acceptable group one time under one set of conditions, and you called it "good". But when those conditions change, by your own admission above, it goes in the toilet.
When things are dialed in, a slight shift in point of impact (elevation) is all you should ever experience with a large temp swing. If you need to argue about that, it can very easily be proven via logic and common sense, and IIRC you've already been given the bullet points to THAT knowledge. Check your notes schoolboy.

Can you expound on this statement.

Thirty years ago, I graphed velocity vs charge weight of a couple dozen loads in 30-06 and 264 Win.

Several load manuals state that a flat spot in that velocity/charge weight curve indicates an overcharge/overpressure situation. My research supports that statement. I found the curve did flatten when charges exceeded published charges, and not before. Flattened primers, cratered firing pin impact marks, and expanded primer pockets accompanied the flattrened area of the curves I plotted.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience agrees with Idaho Shooter. I will get POI plateaus, but not velocity plateaus at safe pressures. If more powder doesn't get more velocity, in a reasonable velocity range for the chambering and bullet weight, I think you are in unsafe territory.

Also, temp sensitive powders and high temps can alter a load. I carry rifles in a pickup cab in mid summer in eastern Montana. I quit H335 because mid range loads got a bit squirrely when the rifle and ammo sat in a pickup cab on 90+ degree summer afternoons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
That one statement right there tells us ALL we need to know about what you DON'T know about load development and component choices. If an ambient temp change trashes your "accuracy", you need to get back to the drawing board. Your load is NOT operating efficiently, and you are NOT sitting in the middle of a velocity plateau. What you have is a load that gave you an acceptable group one time under one set of conditions, and you called it "good". But when those conditions change, by your own admission above, it goes in the toilet.
When things are dialed in, a slight shift in point of impact (elevation) is all you should ever experience with a large temp swing. If you need to argue about that, it can very easily be proven via logic and common sense, and IIRC you've already been given the bullet points to THAT knowledge. Check your notes schoolboy.

Can you expound on this statement.

Thirty years ago, I graphed velocity vs charge weight of a couple dozen loads in 30-06 and 264 Win.

Several load manuals state that a flat spot in that velocity/charge weight curve indicates an overcharge/overpressure situation. My research supports that statement. I found the curve did flatten when charges exceeded published charges, and not before. Flattened primers, cratered firing pin impact marks, and expanded primer pockets accompanied the flattrened area of the curves I plotted.

What you were seeing isn't what I'm after.

Work up and track velocity from beginning to end of a set of published data, in small equal incremental increases of charge weight. I use .2 grains for 308 based cases and smaller, and .3 grains for cases larger. I don't need to test the bottom 3rd of a set of data so I don't. I'm looking for something almost at but not exceeding a published max charge.

I use a powder with a burn rate that provides at least 85% load density with a seated round, and I start COAL at .020" off kiss. I use quality brass with consistent neck thickness and .002" of neck tension, and I use a proven primer.

Across that range of charge weight increases you will see plateaus, 3/4 to one grain wide, where velocities are still increasing but very tight and in contrast to what proceeds the node and what follows it. Making finding them easy. You will normally see two, maybe three, but rarely four of these plateaus. These plateaus correspond to what you see on a ladder test, or an OCW test, only your visual is via chronograph speed rather than impacts on target. This method sidesteps environmental impacts on the testing, such as wind.

I choose the plateau that is closest to book max, but not over, and concentrate on the middle of it as my "load". I then adjust group size with very small changes in seating depth, which, if you understand barrel harmonics, changes the distance the bullet travels to the muzzle, and is the easiest way to tune out the influence the harmonics wave has on the muzzle.

So at the end, you have a charge weight that produces very predictable points of impact, i.e., "good groups", i.e.,"holding zero", with a built in resistance to small pressure changes (lot to lot differences, small temp swings, small changes in altitude, small changes in atmospheric pressure, etc); and you have the muzzle at one of its calmer states during the harmonics cycle which reduces or eliminates the unexplainable "flyer" or "split group".

You do need the patience to follow the program, and you do need a GOOD chrono that doesn't lie. I've yet to meet an optical chronograph that tells the truth two days in a row.

A premium barrel helps tremendously.

YMMV on actual group size with a factory barrel.

Does this help the benchrest shooter? I dunno. I don't care. I don't shoot benchrest. But I did shoot a disapline that required a minimum of 1MOA out to in excess of 1K for any kind of success, across the span of 11 or 12 months that included a full range of atmospheric/seasonal change.

And, I like my hunting loads as sharp and dependable as my hunting knife.

This is simply a shortcut to the same results that some shooters burn copious amounts of barrel life shooting "groups". The only difference is using a close eye on chronograph data instead of holes in paper. Holes in paper, or in my case impacts on steel, are the final confirmation everything is working.

Typically I expend around 10 or 12 rounds to find the pressure I want to work with. Another 15 or so playing with seating depth. 20 more to confirm groups at distance and truing up the BC in the ballistics calculator. So less than 50 rounds for an entire workup, beginning to end, Once you understand the mechanics of the path, you appreciate the simplicity, and I for one appreciate not burning up barrel life doing load development.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,708
Posts18,513,919
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.