Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#18836049 10/12/23
E
EJR Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Is anyone still able to find H 414 anymore ? I know that Win 760 is basically the same powder , , however Hornady manual has one full grain more of 414 vs 760 for the top load in 7-08 . { 48.9 vs 49.9 }. If the 414 is no longer available, whats your thoughts on working up to 49.9 of 760. The reason I'm asking is that 49.9 of 414 shoots lights out in the 7-08 Begara. and the group begins to open up when dropped to 48.9 of the 760. Thoughts ?

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've gathered that it's the "same" and data differences reflect lot to lot variation.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They're not basically the same. 760 is a touch faster and that warrants a full load workup.

I used a lot of H414 in a 6mm bore basically because I was ignoring better options. There's still 4 pounds in that jug that hasn't been touched in 20 years.

In that cartridge pick a stick powder that yields at LEAST 85% load density. The less air space the better without hitting a compressed load. Start 20 thou off the lands. Find a velocity plateau at least 3/4 of a grain wide just below book max. Run the middle of it. Adjust seating depth shorter/longer 5 thou at a time to improve groups.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just emailed Hogdons... they are the same.

Can load data be interchanged ?

Yes, these are the same powder and will use the same load data.

To the OP

Also per published data I see example .30-06 150 grain bullet, max load variation is diddly squat... 58.8 W414 and 59.1 max charge W760.

Last edited by anothergun; 10/12/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by anothergun
I just emailed Hogdons... they are the same.

Until THAT is stated in the published load data, it's best to not just make assumptions. At best it's different lots re-labeled, which should be tested if you're a sane handloader.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I've gathered that it's the "same" and data differences reflect lot to lot variation.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Yeah yeah yeah, so what? I have H 4831 from 1987 and another new container that the rifle shoots the same. No abnormal pressure signs what so ever with near max loads, warm weather or cold. Not to say that loads shouldn’t be worked up. There’s plenty of older data available in manuals that can be bought on line.

E
EJR Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Feral American, Would you be willing to part with that 414 that you have ? I'm down here in Texas....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EJR
Feral American, Would you be willing to part with that 414 that you have ? I'm down here in Texas....

No

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EJR
Is anyone still able to find H 414 anymore ? I know that Win 760 is basically the same powder , , however Hornady manual has one full grain more of 414 vs 760 for the top load in 7-08 . { 48.9 vs 49.9 }. If the 414 is no longer available, whats your thoughts on working up to 49.9 of 760. The reason I'm asking is that 49.9 of 414 shoots lights out in the 7-08 Begara. and the group begins to open up when dropped to 48.9 of the 760. Thoughts ?

H414 was discontinued a few years ago. Even though people say it's the same as 760, it is not. Check some load manuals, and you will see different charges stated. The best recommendation is to work up your load, if you are switching powder. That is always the best way to go.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by EJR

H414 was discontinued a few years ago. Even though people say it's the same as 760, it is not. Check some load manuals, and you will see different charges stated. The best recommendation is to work up your load, if you are switching powder. That is always the best way to go.

If the owners of the company, even if they don’t manufacture it, say so, is good enough for me, and l wouldn’t say they’re “some people “, considering they work up the load data for it has to mean something. Working up loads is always a definite.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hodgdon doesn't make Win 760, they have it made at the old St Mark's Winchester plant in FL under license. The only thing they control is dollars in and dollars out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don’t believe a grain difference in H414 or Win760 is going to blow up any gun made. With that said, I never load to max, I always start in the middle and if it shoots to my expectations, I have my load. I don’t put myself in the danger zone where I would have to worry about it.

Everything I’ve ever read (except for maybe here) says they are the same powder just as Win 296 and H110 are the same. To me it’s kind of like Pepsi or Coke, both made with their own recipes and both made in many plants across the country. If I buy a Pepsi in New York and Florida, I’m pretty sure I won’t notice a difference. Same with H414 or Win760, I probably wouldn’t notice a difference. I don’t have the guns or a shooter (me) that are accurate enough that could tell the difference…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=anothergun]I just emailed Hogdons... they are the same.

Yes, these are the same powder and will use the same load data..../quote]

But what would they know?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=5sdad][quote=anothergun]I just emailed Hogdons... they are the same.

Yes, these are the same powder and will use the same load data..../quote]

But what would they know?[/quote

Gee man they work up loads for thier data… l hope that helps!🤪🤨

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 6 lbs left in an 8 lb jug of someone wants to travel to central MO.

CK
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AA 2700... yet another label on a powder that's not the same as H414...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had all three of these powders. Still have Win 760 and A2700. By brother ended up with my H414. This is a powder that works very well for the intended purpose. It is not very forgiving if it's used outside the lines. Loads should be slowly worked up and all signs of pressure closely monitored while using a chronograph. Load development should stop when desired performance and precision is reached. With this stuff anymore than necessary is not a good idea.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As for interchangeably, I'd use all three (win 760, H414, A2700) in the same load if the load is at least two grains below trusted maximum data. For me the trusted data is becoming the older data. The new stuff is ridiculously reduced.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Look at the Hodgdens Annual Manual! Any caliber that uses both H414 and W760-----The Data Is Exactly the same including pressure!!!

This tends to tell you sumpin' !

Hip

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was going to say the same thing that hipshooter said
There is a bunch of load data on Hodgen's site & both powders are listed as the same same.

There are now the same! Same charge, same pressure, same velocity. You might find some older date where it varies a grain er so.
Maybe.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I see some people are way behind. lot to lot swings of the definite deal..

at one time they were very similar but slightly different

several years ago they became exactly the same

now I guess one is discontinued and where's the trademark of the other ..
if you're buying new patterns keep up with the new data if you're using old powders by all means keep the old data

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I was going to say the same thing that hipshooter said
There is a bunch of load data on Hodgen's site & both powders are listed as the same same.

There are now the same! Same charge, same pressure, same velocity. You might find some older date where it varies a grain er so.
Maybe.

And just because there’s a grain or two difference doesn’t mean they’re not the same. If Lee was concerned about bullet manufacturers they use in thier data they would list them, and actually a few they do list. Usually it Barnes and for good reason. But standard cup and core they don’t, and whyyy is that? ANY bullet, with any load, with any rifle NEVER gave me a pressure issue when working up loads with either powder, at all. Do you believe that, do you want to believe that?

Last edited by anothergun; 10/14/23.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
As far as I know LEE doesn't test anything, I believe they just copy and print others info/data.

Hip

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
As far as I know LEE doesn't test anything, I believe they just copy and print others info/data.

Hip

Ok so you read the back cover of their manual, like i just did.

Over 28K loads it is supplied by the powder companies

that doesn't change the fact that specific brand bullets are not listed save a few. Does that mean their data is unreliable ?? That there are thousands of loaders who swear by that one component, the bullet effects the load if you switch it out from what's listed? Obviously that is incorrect ! Isn't it. Not saying it changes the outcome of internal, external ballistics, but not the way some people try and make you believe.

Last edited by anothergun; 10/15/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Not only lot to lot but also differene in action's/chamber's! I use W760 data with H414, i simplystart low and work up. Know what? When I use H414 data with H414 I also start low and work up!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found some accurate loads using H414/WW760. Then I found that these powders were temperature sensitive and I stopped using them.
The 4350’s are in the same ballpark as far as burn rate goes. I have several rifles that the best powder for accuracy and velocity is with IMR4350. I’m trying H4350 and IMR4451 and have found that H4350 is great in a rifle or two.

The temperature variation in South Dakota can be significant. I’ve hunted at nearly 100 degrees and also at -40 degrees. Usually it’s not that extreme. But where I annually I hunt whitetails it has been a little more than 70 and sometimes close to 0. Temperature sensitive powders are not something I’ll use.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bugger, unless you have a big stash of 4451 I wouldn't get too carried away with it. It and the rest of that enduron line has been discontinued. Once the current stock is depleted it's gone. I switched to it a few years ago when H4350 was unobtainium, and worked up a really good load in 3 rifles. I have 4 or 5 pounds left, but when I run out I'll hafta switch back to H4350 or something else. Kinda disappointed with Hodgdon over that decision.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It seems that powder companies have the same commitment to their customers as Remington had to those who bought firearms that used the cartridges they introduced and abandoned.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
like anything else if it doesn't sell they need to market something that does.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wouldn’t condem H414 or any ball powder based on the POSSIBILITY of some velocity spread from high temps. Unless you are truly pushing the load envelope with max charges and seating your bullets into the landes or within a few thousandths I doubt you will notice any significant difference. If you’re a benchrest shooter or extreme accuracy minded varmint hunter a little velocity spread will change point of impact with some cartridges and tweaky rifles but otherwise you just might print a tad higher but that is about all. Of course you should be able read pressure signs. Most rifles perform better below max charges anyway so all told don’t walk away from ball powders they have too many advantages in some cases to ignore.

Ball or flattened ball powders all have a flame deterent coating that regulates their burning rates. Ball powders are known as ‘ progressive burn ‘ as they burn gradually creating a more even pressure down the barrel. Barrel strain gauges have confirmed how ball powders act during the pressure curve so it’s not just BS. I’ve been loading a number of ball powders for years a few of which no stick powder can duplicate. The old W680 in the Hornet and Bee, AA 2015 in my 222’s, H335 in my 444 and 45-7O’s and the discontinued H450 in most of my Ackley improved from 243, 257 and 30-06. They usually need a hotter primer in bigger cases but otherwise nothing loads easier and in some case and loads gives you max density.

Rick

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
I wouldn’t condem H414 or any ball powder based on the POSSIBILITY of some velocity spread from high temps. Unless you are truly pushing the load envelope with max charges and seating your bullets into the landes or within a few thousandths I doubt you will notice any significant difference. If you’re a benchrest shooter or extreme accuracy minded varmint hunter a little velocity spread will change point of impact with some cartridges and tweaky rifles but otherwise you just might print a tad higher but that is about all. Of course you should be able read pressure signs. Most rifles perform better below max charges anyway so all told don’t walk away from ball powders they have too many advantages in some cases to ignore.

Ball or flattened ball powders all have a flame deterent coating that regulates their burning rates. Ball powders are known as ‘ progressive burn ‘ as they burn gradually creating a more even pressure down the barrel. Barrel strain gauges have confirmed how ball powders act during the pressure curve so it’s not just BS. I’ve been loading a number of ball powders for years a few of which no stick powder can duplicate. The old W680 in the Hornet and Bee, AA 2015 in my 222’s, H335 in my 444 and 45-7O’s and the discontinued H450 in most of my Ackley improved from 243, 257 and 30-06. They usually need a hotter primer in bigger cases but otherwise nothing loads easier and in some case and loads gives you max density.

Rick

It's hard to beat Ball/Spherical to extruded, yes. I get some great accuracy but temp changes destroy it. If I could walk off my porch three weeks before opening day, that's all I would load. However the powder is hard on throats.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Rick

It's hard to beat Ball/Spherical to extruded, yes. I get some great accuracy but temp changes destroy it. If I could walk off my porch three weeks before opening day, that's all I would load. However the powder is hard on throats.

Why do ball powders erode throats more than stick ? With all due respects I think you got this wrong. Ball powders burn cooler than almost all stick powders and because they burn progressively the initial temperature up front is less. They do foul a bit more but apparently Hodgdon has been working this out. As I mentioned before extreme temps will affect velocity to some degree but unless you’re shooting near the edge I never saw real accuracy problems. However if I was hunting Alaska or real cold country or parts of hottest Africa I’d ask the locals what to expect

Rick

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I get some great accuracy but temp changes destroy it.

That one statement right there tells us ALL we need to know about what you DON'T know about load development and component choices. If an ambient temp change trashes your "accuracy", you need to get back to the drawing board. Your load is NOT operating efficiently, and you are NOT sitting in the middle of a velocity plateau. What you have is a load that gave you an acceptable group one time under one set of conditions, and you called it "good". But when those conditions change, by your own admission above, it goes in the toilet.
When things are dialed in, a slight shift in point of impact (elevation) is all you should ever experience with a large temp swing. If you need to argue about that, it can very easily be proven via logic and common sense, and IIRC you've already been given the bullet points to THAT knowledge. Check your notes schoolboy.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Why do ball powders erode throats more than stick ? With all due respects I think you got this wrong.

Being one that replaced a barrel every January on a comp rifle I'd wager VERY heavy odds this cat doesn't shoot enough to erode a throat regardless what powder he uses.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been loading a number of ball powders for years a few of which no stick powder can duplicate. The old W680 in the Hornet and Bee, AA 2015 in my 222’s, H335 in my 444 and 45-7O’s and the discontinued H450 in most of my Ackley improved from 243, 257 and 30-06.

Rick

AA 2015 is a ball powder?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not gonna get off easy by deleting your dimwit comments troll.

Originally Posted by Feral_American

That one statement right there tells us ALL we need to know about what you DON'T know about load development and component choices. If an ambient temp change trashes your "accuracy", you need to get back to the drawing board. Your load is NOT operating efficiently, and you are NOT sitting in the middle of a velocity plateau. What you have is a load that gave you an acceptable group one time under one set of conditions, and you called it "good". But when those conditions change, by your own admission above, it goes in the toilet.
When things are dialed in, a slight shift in point of impact (elevation) is all you should ever experience with a large temp swing. If you need to argue about that, it can very easily be proven via logic and common sense, and IIRC you've already been given the bullet points to THAT knowledge. Check your notes schoolboy.

Gee when l go back in the summer it went out the window but went in the winter it shot the way it did in the winter when l initially tested, you friggin brain dead JO.. maybe you missed that part, work on your reading comprehension you stupid Clown. Why don’t you go milk your cow l’m sure sure she’ll enjoy it. Maybe you don’t get enough stimulation in your life.

Very common rookie ass mistake to work up a "load" in cold weather with zero regard to hotter temps during summer. Rookies get dazzled by a small group or two, and call it, then can't know why their shi t falls apart 6 months later. Especially amongst those who ignore conventional wisdom about matching a burn rate to load density.

Done right, loads don't "go out the window" from one season to the next. OF COURSE, you can repeat when the conditions repeat. The trick is, which you're obviously oblivious to, is making it shoot ALL year with nothing but a slight change of POI, IF THAT. Check zero, rock on.

You're shi t, ain't right, and will NEVER be right, because you're too hammer headed to understand how to even begin getting right.

It's a f ucking HOOT watching a joker like you sling "insults" like "stupid" and "clown" at somebody else. Priceless.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Rick

Why do ball powders erode throats more than stick ? With all due respects I think you got this wrong. Ball powders burn cooler than almost all stick powders and because they burn progressively the initial temperature up front is less. They do foul a bit more but apparently Hodgdon has been working this out. As I mentioned before extreme temps will affect velocity to some degree but unless you’re shooting near the edge I never saw real accuracy problems. However if I was hunting Alaska or real cold country or parts of hottest Africa I’d ask the locals what to expect

Rick

Ball/Spherical Double base powders that deliver more velocity out the muzzle tend to produce less throat erosion, so you can say generally speaking that most like to be near the max end of a load, admit it, I do, why else do manuals tell us to find the charge that nearly fills the case for the highest velocity ?

Stick single base can do it too, if the velocity isn't kept up out the muzzle. Considering Ball/Spherical powder is more consistent than most Stick powders, not all but most. Just because Additives are mixed in doesn't mean it's set in stone. You wanna keep the throat in tact more, keep up your load out the muzzle.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

It doesn't matter where the midrange charge is for the 35 REMINGTON. I'm more interested in top velocity not top accuracy all the time through out the year. But case in point temperature does effect even a supposed stable powder like IMR 4895. Maybe in your way of life you have a ball bearing balanced on a pin head, I'm not really concerned about what YOU do.

You see you are so bent on breaking some ones balls WIITHOUT asking the right question and rather jump all over thier case first. Guess that's how you were treated growin up. I correspond with a guy here via email and he knows how to ask the right questions and be respectful about it. You on the other hand don't have an ounce of kindness that would fill a thimble.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So, troll, all your word salad BS so far has been about a 200 yard effective range max chambering that throws a brick with a brick's BC, and pressures that come NOWHERE near endangering a throat.

I've two 35 Rems here. Whacha wanna know?

Rhetorical question, of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, troll, all your word salad BS so far has been about a 200 yard effective range max chambering that throws a brick with a brick's BC, and pressures that come NOWHERE near endangering a throat.

For a newbie you've gotten good about throwing out the troll word, especially to a poster who's been here since 2012. while you've only been here a little over a month and have over 400 posts. I'd say you're a sockpuppet who will soon be exposed.

Newbie..............you need to respect your elders.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr

For a newbie you've gotten good about throwing out the troll word, especially to a poster who's been here since 2012. while you've only been here a little over a month and have over 400 posts. I'd say you're a sockpuppet who will soon be exposed.

maybe he's breating in too much manure he produces

Last edited by anothergun; 10/16/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick...that you?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Dude, I'm just a random irrelevant anonymous guy on the internet that wants to talk matter of fact truths about shooting and hunting.

Some "elders" here say this joker is really "Maser". He's yet to deny it. Not even in all the stupid PMs the idiot has sent me. I've dug into that enough to know it's not somebody I'd even try to respect.

How'd you get your 18.5K post count in only 8 years?

Seems you're quite a heavy poster yourself.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

LMAO, really? Just because I'm new HERE I have to watch myself ? LOL Yeah Ok.... I'm glad there's no Mods here, it's nice to expose the ones who really aren't up on thier game like they think they are. CONSIDERING that this kind of Kentucky windage crap shoot most of us are playing, I would say stuff the sock in your mouth and go shoot marbles with your friends !! How's that ? POPS!

Um, I think JamesJr was defending you.

Idiot.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Dude, I'm just a random irrelevant anonymous guy on the internet that wants to talk matter of fact truths about shooting and hunting.

Some "elders" here say this joker is really "Maser". He's yet to deny it. Not even in all the stupid PMs the idiot has sent me. I've dug into that enough to know it's not somebody I'd even try to respect.

How'd you get your 18.5K post count in only 8 years?

Seems you're quite a heavy poster yourself.

Lets see if I can clarify this for your not so pee brain, considering you seem to, seem, to be up on your game. However...... you don't have all the answers, do you ? No you don't, so like I said in the past... try and work on your people skills a bit, and make a post and move on even if you don't like what I say, right or wrong. Oh and BTW your status here, really doesn't mean diddly squat to me or just the people reading and moving on. I don't need to know anything about what you know about the 35 Remington, so to be honest out of a tree stand or in the thick, I don't need a hot rod of a load that you think I need. SO I don't need ta know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Stick...that you?
Can’t be stick. Not enough hints

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ball/Spherical Double base powders that deliver more velocity out the muzzle tend to produce less throat erosion, so you can say generally speaking that most like to be near the max end of a load, admit it, I do, why else do manuals tell us to find the charge that nearly fills the case for the highest velocity ?

Stick single base can do it too, if the velocity isn't kept up out the muzzle. Considering Ball/Spherical powder is more consistent than most Stick powders, not all but most. Just because Additives are mixed in doesn't mean it's set in stone. You wanna keep the throat in tact more, keep up your load out the muzzle.

WTF?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
don't seem so confused, life ain't perfect unless your loads are, like a fart in the wind !! LOL

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JacquesShellac

WTF?

A'ight, y'all have fun with this nitwit. I can't stoop to this level of stupid this many times in one day. He's all yours, if you can figure out what he's trying to say.

BTW, I see that "Maser" is now "following" me. So there's gotta be something to it. Fuc king pedophile. Too bad ya can't outright block people on this site, but the dumbass is now on ignore.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

LMAO, really? Just because I'm new HERE I have to watch myself ? LOL Yeah Ok.... I'm glad there's no Mods here, it's nice to expose the ones who really aren't up on thier game like they think they are. CONSIDERING that this kind of Kentucky windage crap shoot most of us are playing, I would say stuff the sock in your mouth and go shoot marbles with your friends !! How's that ? POPS!

Um, I think JamesJr was defending you.

Idiot.

I missed Troll, yeah I don't call nobody that. You do, so yeah wise up and respect your elders !! LOL

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JacquesShellac

WTF?

A'ight, y'all have fun with this nitwit. I can't stoop to this level of stupid this many times in one day. He's all yours, if you can figure out what he's trying to say.

BTW, I see that "Maser" is now "following" me. So there's gotta be something to it. Fuc king pedophile. Too bad ya can't outright block people on this site, but the dumbass is now on ignore.

Alot of competitions were won by this EXPERT, i'm sure ! He knows all the perfect combinations in one magical hat, the cat in the hat.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well what started out as legitimate questions and concerns about reloads, powders,and ballistic characteristics has evolved into a verbal pissing contest between invisible forum egos. It’s a shame really as it just makes it impossible for reasonable and experienced shooters to share their knowledge.

Rick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well what started out as legitimate questions and concerns about reloads, powders,and ballistic characteristics has evolved into a verbal pissing contest between invisible forum egos. It’s a shame really as it just makes it impossible for reasonable and experienced shooters to share their knowledge.

Rick
I think it’s one poster on here who’s trying to impress everyone with their supposed knowledge. Happens all the time

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They don't know what they don't know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Stick...that you?
Can’t be stick. Not enough hints
Good point

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Rick

It's anal retentive thing and splitting hairs. Ok so This Feral guy says Winchester makes W760, AND? Hodgdon only owns the company and knows nothing about the powder ? This is what I mean about splitting hairs. Why wouldn't Hodgdons know about the two powders being the same ? They test them don't they ? and why would they say they are the same if they weren't ? For what reason ?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Can you expound on this statement.

Thirty years ago, I graphed velocity vs charge weight of a couple dozen loads in 30-06 and 264 Win.

Several load manuals state that a flat spot in that velocity/charge weight curve indicates an overcharge/overpressure situation. My research supports that statement. I found the curve did flatten when charges exceeded published charges, and not before. Flattened primers, cratered firing pin impact marks, and expanded primer pockets accompanied the flattrened area of the curves I plotted.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience agrees with Idaho Shooter. I will get POI plateaus, but not velocity plateaus at safe pressures. If more powder doesn't get more velocity, in a reasonable velocity range for the chambering and bullet weight, I think you are in unsafe territory.

Also, temp sensitive powders and high temps can alter a load. I carry rifles in a pickup cab in mid summer in eastern Montana. I quit H335 because mid range loads got a bit squirrely when the rifle and ammo sat in a pickup cab on 90+ degree summer afternoons.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Thirty years ago, I graphed velocity vs charge weight of a couple dozen loads in 30-06 and 264 Win.

Several load manuals state that a flat spot in that velocity/charge weight curve indicates an overcharge/overpressure situation. My research supports that statement. I found the curve did flatten when charges exceeded published charges, and not before. Flattened primers, cratered firing pin impact marks, and expanded primer pockets accompanied the flattrened area of the curves I plotted.

What you were seeing isn't what I'm after.

Work up and track velocity from beginning to end of a set of published data, in small equal incremental increases of charge weight. I use .2 grains for 308 based cases and smaller, and .3 grains for cases larger. I don't need to test the bottom 3rd of a set of data so I don't. I'm looking for something almost at but not exceeding a published max charge.

I use a powder with a burn rate that provides at least 85% load density with a seated round, and I start COAL at .020" off kiss. I use quality brass with consistent neck thickness and .002" of neck tension, and I use a proven primer.

Across that range of charge weight increases you will see plateaus, 3/4 to one grain wide, where velocities are still increasing but very tight and in contrast to what proceeds the node and what follows it. Making finding them easy. You will normally see two, maybe three, but rarely four of these plateaus. These plateaus correspond to what you see on a ladder test, or an OCW test, only your visual is via chronograph speed rather than impacts on target. This method sidesteps environmental impacts on the testing, such as wind.

I choose the plateau that is closest to book max, but not over, and concentrate on the middle of it as my "load". I then adjust group size with very small changes in seating depth, which, if you understand barrel harmonics, changes the distance the bullet travels to the muzzle, and is the easiest way to tune out the influence the harmonics wave has on the muzzle.

So at the end, you have a charge weight that produces very predictable points of impact, i.e., "good groups", i.e.,"holding zero", with a built in resistance to small pressure changes (lot to lot differences, small temp swings, small changes in altitude, small changes in atmospheric pressure, etc); and you have the muzzle at one of its calmer states during the harmonics cycle which reduces or eliminates the unexplainable "flyer" or "split group".

You do need the patience to follow the program, and you do need a GOOD chrono that doesn't lie. I've yet to meet an optical chronograph that tells the truth two days in a row.

A premium barrel helps tremendously.

YMMV on actual group size with a factory barrel.

Does this help the benchrest shooter? I dunno. I don't care. I don't shoot benchrest. But I did shoot a disapline that required a minimum of 1MOA out to in excess of 1K for any kind of success, across the span of 11 or 12 months that included a full range of atmospheric/seasonal change.

And, I like my hunting loads as sharp and dependable as my hunting knife.

This is simply a shortcut to the same results that some shooters burn copious amounts of barrel life shooting "groups". The only difference is using a close eye on chronograph data instead of holes in paper. Holes in paper, or in my case impacts on steel, are the final confirmation everything is working.

Typically I expend around 10 or 12 rounds to find the pressure I want to work with. Another 15 or so playing with seating depth. 20 more to confirm groups at distance and truing up the BC in the ballistics calculator. So less than 50 rounds for an entire workup, beginning to end, Once you understand the mechanics of the path, you appreciate the simplicity, and I for one appreciate not burning up barrel life doing load development.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Rick

And over a discontinued powder of all things.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used a lot of W760, as it is my go to powder for the 243 in bullet weights from 55 to 90. I have also used it in a 17 Rem, 7-08, 6.5 Creed, 7X57, as well as a couple of others. I have used H414 data with zero issues. As far as 760 being temp sensitive, it may very well be, but I've never noticed a problem, but then again I don't shoot much in hot weather or expose my ammo to heat.

I have never been one to try only one powder when working up a load for a new rifle/cartridge I'm reloading for. I like to experiment, and use different powders and primers in my search for best load I can come up with. With all the choices in powder out there, I don't see a reason to limit yourself to just one and trying to make it work. The only exception to that has been H4350 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, as it will pretty much work for most rifles. But even then, I use 6.5 Staball in one of my rifles because it gave the best speed and accuracy.

Everyone is going to look at reloading somewhat differently, because of the differences in what we are looking for. It is a process that can be fairly simple or extremely complicated, depending on the goal. It can be a a way to relax and enjoy what you're doing, or a very tedious task that tries your patience and pocketbook. It is also a process in which you're never too old to learn something, and I do all the time. I try to be helpful to other reloaders, but ridiculing them when they don't do it like you're doing it is wrong.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Rick

And over a discontinued powder of all things.

Then stop making a big deal out of nothing then and over analyzing things that don't need to under a microscope. Maybe work on your sling shot techniques. Think you can nail Goliath at 15 paces ?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have used a lot of W760, as it is my go to powder for the 243 in bullet weights from 55 to 90. I have also used it in a 17 Rem, 7-08, 6.5 Creed, 7X57, as well as a couple of others. I have used H414 data with zero issues. As far as 760 being temp sensitive, it may very well be, but I've never noticed a problem, but then again I don't shoot much in hot weather or expose my ammo to heat.

I have never been one to try only one powder when working up a load for a new rifle/cartridge I'm reloading for. I like to experiment, and use different powders and primers in my search for best load I can come up with. With all the choices in powder out there, I don't see a reason to limit yourself to just one and trying to make it work. The only exception to that has been H4350 and the 6.5 Creedmoor, as it will pretty much work for most rifles. But even then, I use 6.5 Staball in one of my rifles because it gave the best speed and accuracy.

Everyone is going to look at reloading somewhat differently, because of the differences in what we are looking for. It is a process that can be fairly simple or extremely complicated, depending on the goal. It can be a a way to relax and enjoy what you're doing, or a very tedious task that tries your patience and pocketbook. It is also a process in which you're never too old to learn something, and I do all the time. I try to be helpful to other reloaders, but ridiculing them when they don't do it like you're doing it is wrong.

Can agree with much of that. But, reloading forums are rampant with misinformation and utter bull shi t. If that's not refuted along the way some unsuspecting sap who's just reading and not posting may take something for granted and have a bad experience.

This thread is case in point. You have a discontinued powder and many here saying it's the same thing as something else. It may very well be exactly the same, but it's not labeled the same, nor is the manufacturer documenting it as the same in printed material for the masses.

What would happen if that unsuspecting sap decided since some anonymous guy with a high post count on the campfire said one thing is gospel truth, so something else must be true as well, and they have something go very wrong. What do we tell newbs about reloading. Always work up, or back up, when changing a component. Has THAT common sense approach ever hurt anyone?

When I started learning this stuff I had the superb benefit of being physically SHOWN what to do. The closest thing to the internet was a George Jetson cartoon. These days everyone learns something electronically and too much is lost in translation.
The two or three that are arguing aren't the only ones reading, and hopefully enough argument can be made to keep the uninitiated from doing something stupid.

As far as how someone "does" something, I couldn't give a rat's ass. I'll tell ya what I know about things I've done and it's up to you to decide to try it or not, OR to even read me talking about it. But don't come at me because you're unwilling or flat out lack the ability to understand the concept of working smarter not dumber, of saving some time/effort/money. I've made the dumb mistakes along the way and learned a trick or two from them.

As the saying goes, you can lead a mule to water but you can't make him drink.

I'm out, y'all have fun.

H414 USED TO BE a decent powder, but who even has enough anymore to worry about it being "the same" as W760? I have 4 pounds left out of 8 only because there were better powders to use and it's been setting in the back for 20 years.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Feral nut makes a mountain out of a mole hill, and you can see that for yourselves ! Stay within the data of load manuals and no issues will be encountered period. We see maser is your friend.. take him with you.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You can't set up a 30-06 die to bump shoulders, you can't grasp the basic concept of annealing a cartridge neck, you burn throats on a 35 Remington, you ignore basic rules of reloading safety, and you flat out refuse to learn otherwise. Why are you even posting in this reloading forum?

We see maser is your friend.

Nice try Maser. Playing 3rd grade games dude, 3rd grade games.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lmao get a life!

I bump shoulders fine, and have consistently dimensionally measured with no problems with acceptable annealing. And thats not ok with you obviously.

And never said l burned out a throat with my 35 rem.

Climb on down pard before you hurt yourself

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Darwin Award

You earned it fair and square.

Now own it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have always enjoyed working with older (discontinued) powder as well as older (discontinued) bullets when I can find them (or have them on hand), just to make comparisons with newer (similar) components.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Feral is giving readers here a lot of prudent advice on a subject that requires constant attention to details. Anybody who thinks discussions of this type where smokeless powder characteristics and handling is “ making a mountain out of a molehill “ is one man’s interpretation that infers that caution and thinking your way into reloading is SIMPLE. Well it may be to those who are easily satisfied, too busy or unconcerned with the subject of propellants. But gun powder performance has been key to shooters since the black powder era. Just look at how many books and writers cover it.

I for one enjoy reloading and was lucky to have Frank Snow, the man who founded Sierra Bullets, my neighbor, and who helped me learn in my younger days living in SoCal. I enjoy every element of the hobby and I’m always looking for improvement. But I too understand for the hunter factory ammo will almost always do or basic reloading skills and equipment. But if you are a rifle crank who still can’t accept the fact that nobody can shoot five rounds into the same hole there is always something to experiment with. I still enjoy stalking, reading the ground and woods even if I don’t score. The older and stiffer I get the more I enjoy the hunt regardless of success. So to my way of thinking the only thing I can see here that is SIMPLE is the poster who is obviously simple minded. You can easily see and walk around a mountain but you can get tripped up in a mole hill. It’s the small things that count and I’m not referring to your intellect .

Regards
RICK

Last edited by Woodpecker; 10/16/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
take a walk rick

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
take a walk rick

Sounds good I’ll take you up on that. In the meantime I’m a bit concerned with your health and hearing. I suggest wiping out your ears with a bit of gun-cotton it will clear things up for you. I’ll give you twenty minutes to go to Wikipedia and look it up. If we don’t hear from you again I’ll know you did a good job.

Rick who hates this kind of crap. Over

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
🤨

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, somebody had to say it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The few the proud the experts

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, somebody had to say it.

Is there a "another" chihuahua running around this thread yipping & nipping at heels?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Work up and track velocity from beginning to end of a set of published data, in small equal incremental increases of charge weight. I use .2 grains for 308 based cases and smaller, and .3 grains for cases larger. I don't need to test the bottom 3rd of a set of data so I don't. I'm looking for something almost at but not exceeding a published max charge.

I use a powder with a burn rate that provides at least 85% load density with a seated round, and I start COAL at .020" off kiss. I use quality brass with consistent neck thickness and .002" of neck tension, and I use a proven primer.

Across that range of charge weight increases you will see plateaus, 3/4 to one grain wide, where velocities are still increasing but very tight and in contrast to what proceeds the node and what follows it. Making finding them easy. You will normally see two, maybe three, but rarely four of these plateaus. These plateaus correspond to what you see on a ladder test, or an OCW test, only your visual is via chronograph speed rather than impacts on target. This method sidesteps environmental impacts on the testing, such as wind.

I choose the plateau that is closest to book max, but not over, and concentrate on the middle of it as my "load". I then adjust group size with very small changes in seating depth, which, if you understand barrel harmonics, changes the distance the bullet travels to the muzzle, and is the easiest way to tune out the influence the harmonics wave has on the muzzle.

So at the end, you have a charge weight that produces very predictable points of impact, i.e., "good groups", i.e.,"holding zero", with a built in resistance to small pressure changes (lot to lot differences, small temp swings, small changes in altitude, small changes in atmospheric pressure, etc); and you have the muzzle at one of its calmer states during the harmonics cycle which reduces or eliminates the unexplainable "flyer" or "split group".

You do need the patience to follow the program, and you do need a GOOD chrono that doesn't lie. I've yet to meet an optical chronograph that tells the truth two days in a row.

Does this help the benchrest shooter? I dunno. I don't care. I don't shoot benchrest. But I did shoot a disapline that required a minimum of 1MOA out to in excess of 1K for any kind of success, across the span of 11 or 12 months that included a full range of atmospheric/seasonal change.

This is simply a shortcut to the same results that some shooters burn copious amounts of barrel life shooting "groups". The only difference is using a close eye on chronograph data instead of holes in paper. Holes in paper, or in my case impacts on steel, are the final confirmation everything is working.

Typically I expend around 10 or 12 rounds to find the pressure I want to work with. Another 15 or so playing with seating depth. 20 more to confirm groups at distance and truing up the BC in the ballistics calculator. So less than 50 rounds for an entire workup, beginning to end, Once you understand the mechanics of the path, you appreciate the simplicity, and I for one appreciate not burning up barrel life doing load development.
That is completely contrary to my experience. And to any published data I have found.

My thought is, what you are interpreting as "a velocity node" is simply due to insufficient data points. I am sure, if you fired ten rounds at each charge weight, you would see the graph smotoh out significantly.

Accuracy nodes are a product of bullet exit vs a (somewhat) stable point in barrel harmonics.

Also, you mention several times that you avoid compressed charges. WHY?

Many load manuals suggest compressed charges. Many of my most accurate loads in 308 based and 30-06 based cases are highly compressed.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Never had luck with compressed loads, but now l know about nodes, that might change things.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

That is completely contrary to my experience. And to any published data I have found.

My thought is, what you are interpreting as "a velocity node" is simply due to insufficient data points. I am sure, if you fired ten rounds at each charge weight, you would see the graph smotoh out significantly.

Accuracy nodes are a product of bullet exit vs a (somewhat) stable point in barrel harmonics.

Also, you mention several times that you avoid compressed charges. WHY?

Many load manuals suggest compressed charges. Many of my most accurate loads in 308 based and 30-06 based cases are highly compressed.

I'm not even sure we're speaking the same language here.

Why would I fire 100 rounds to confirm what 10 will tell me? Is an OCW test insufficient data? Is a ladder test insufficient data? No, they're not. There are camps loyal to each, and they will argue the merits of each, but neither are lacking in data points else they wouldn't be relied upon by most serious gun cranks.The difference is, I'm finding the same exact data with less rounds fired, and not depending on the wind behaving for me. All I need is that stable pressure point just shy of a book max. 10 initial rounds and I'll have it identified.

"Accuracy nodes" are a product of a stable pressure point in the data. Pressure dictates velocity, no? No? Lower pressure, slower velocity. Higher pressure, faster velocity. Everybody sees that every time they do a workup with a chrono. No?

If velocities are random and irregular would not the pressures driving the velocities be random and irregular, and thus impacts down range be random, irregular, and unpredictable? Surely you understand the value of low ES and low SD, with the holy grail of load development being single digit ES and SD. That's pressure, and only pressure, and nothing to do with barrel harmonics. I'll get to that in a minute.

The side benefit of operating from the middle of a stable pressure point, or "accuracy node", is having a plus/minus tolerance of pressure that doesn't affect the load's performance during less than the most extreme changes in ambient temps, altitude, atmospheric pressure, etc. Dan Newberry preaches this 8 ways to Sunday about his OCW tests. I'm just cutting to the chase with fewer rounds fired. He's not using a chrono, I am. He needs holes in paper to see it, I just need a string of velocity numbers to look at.

What I always see with this method is a load holding together just fine between seasons with ONLY just a slight shift in zero, and nothing that suggests a "loss of accuracy". It was a simple matter for me to just go fire a few rounds the day before a match to check/adjust my 100 yard zero. Once that was done I referred to my ballistics calculator to one of the 3 sets of data pertaining to the current ambient temps. 0 to 30 degrees, 30 to 60 degrees, or 60 to 90 degrees. Twist turrets, read wind calls, and rock on.

But, there are TWO seperate devils to beat down in this.

Now, harmonics. You can be "in" an "accuracy node", and the groups be sub par, or even terrible....until you adjust your seating depth to counter the effect that the harmonics have on the muzzle. As it's been explained to me decades ago barrel harmonics are vibrations that sling from chamber to muzzle and back several times between ignition and bullet exit. Where they concern us is the precise point in time when the bullet exits the crown. When the wave is at the muzzle, or anywhere near the muzzle, the muzzle moves the most. When the wave has left the muzzle and returned to the breech the muzzle is calm or calmer. No? Simple laws of physics, no? What we want is a bullet exit when the wave is not present at, or near, the muzzle. We do not have the ability to make that fine enough adjustment with pressure, else we'd be weighing charges in 100ths or 1000ths of a grain instead of mere 10ths, so we make it with changes of the physical distance that the bullet travels via seating depth changes. We are either beating the train to the crossing, or are waiting for the train to pass on by.

I'll be doing a work up for a new bullet in the next couple weeks so I'll document it. It's a crimp in the cannelure deal with a fixed for function COAL, in a less than ideal factory barrel, so harmonics won't be part of it, but I can illustrate the pressures.

Compressed loads. I never advocate for them. Mainly because I don't like crunching kernels and potentially (and unpredictably) changing the burn characteristics of the powder. There are plenty enough powder choices out there to achieve an 85% to 100% load density without compressing a load. If that's something that doesn't bother you then who am I to argue. I won't do it though, and that's all there is to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have several loads that are compressed. Jack O'Connors highly published load for the 270, 60.0 grains of H4831 was a compressed load and it worked, probably in millions of rounds. I have some 223 loads that are compressed with zero pressure signs.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I tried the 60 grain deal of H4831, too hot for my Savage 111 .270 at the time, bolt really stiff, got rid of it. I have a Remington 721, and maybe it can take a little more. I don't see any loads with 60 grains. I think they are like maybe 56 57 ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried the 60 grain deal of H4831, too hot for my Savage 111 .270 at the time, bolt really stiff, got rid of it. I have a Remington 721, and maybe it can take a little more. I don't see any loads with 60 grains. I think they are like maybe 56 57 ?

For years I loaded 60 grains of H4831 and a 130 grain bullet for my Model 700 with no signs of pressure whatsoever. That load dropped whitetails better than anything else I've ever used. The last time I reloaded for my 270, I dropped back to 59.5 grains and didn't see any difference. I like to push cartridges like the 270 to the limit, as that is what they were designed for. Each rifle is different, and every reloader is different, so results can vary.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Same here dead before they hit the ground probably ! They dropped so fast I thought I missed !

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have several loads that are compressed. Jack O'Connors highly published load for the 270, 60.0 grains of H4831 was a compressed load and it worked, probably in millions of rounds. I have some 223 loads that are compressed with zero pressure signs.
Yes, my 270 load with a Nosler 130 BT over 61 gr H4831 is a bit compressed. But it shots well in a Ruger MK II at 3100 fps.

And my 30-06 load with the Hornady 190 btsp at book COAL over 63 gr H4831 in LC brass was a whole lot compressed. It shot three inches at 300 yds from an old Win 670.

Using a vibrator to fit the powder in the case, it was still level with the mouth of the case before seating the bullet. Lots of crunches!

Why would I fire 100 rounds to confirm what 10 will tell me? Is an OCW test insufficient data? Is a ladder test insufficient data? No, they're not. There are camps loyal to each, and they will argue the merits of each, but neither are lacking in data points else they wouldn't be relied upon by most serious gun cranks.The difference is, I'm finding the same exact data with less rounds fired, and not depending on the wind behaving for me. All I need is that stable pressure point just shy of a book max. 10 initial rounds and I'll have it identified.

Proof of concept!

I am amazed that none of the gun writers have discovered such a foolproof, quick, and easy method of load development.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Proof of concept!

I am amazed that none of the gun writers have discovered such a foolproof, quick, and easy method of load development.

Dozens of rifles over the years, with dozens of combinations of bullets, powders, brass, primers, not to mention showing it to quite a few in person, including my two sons, and seeing them all succeed, is pretty solid proof of concept from where I sit.

I don't do many things by accident anymore, and my reloading methods have progressed a lot from making my own dippers, beating bullets into 7x57 cases with a plastic hammer, and believing with all my heart that chasing group size was the holy freaking grail, at age 13 back in '79.

I've stated I don't much care what anyone else does, but if you want to know what I do at my bench I'll tell you with as much detail as I can muster....maybe even sometimes when you really don't want it.

When I see something I know is bullshi t I'll call it and I'll make no apologies telling you why. But you won't see me run my mouth outside the scope of what I've seen and done myself, like a lot around here do.

I've never worshipped gun writers. Hardly have ever read any of them. Probably because for the longest time most anything they did was too far above my pay grade to even worry about. I dunno, maybe if I had I'd still be stuck shooting groups and burning off barrel life with the rest y'all.

In a nutshell it's a ladder test, without 300 yards and wind, nothing less, nothing more. New lots are retested from the bottom up to be safe and adjustments are made if necessary.

Harmonics are addressed in the second phase to close up groups. Nothing more than most serious handloaders do, except without all the unneccesarily wasted components to get there.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For example from Nosler #8, the 7-08 with a 150 and H4350 shows a max load of 44.5 gr @99 % load density and 2692 fps.

I think that meets your load parameters.

It also shows 40.5 gr as a minimum load at 2442 fps. That gives us a 4 gr spread in powder charge to produce 250 fps increase in velocity. Or 12.5 fps for each subsequent .2 gr increase in powder charge.

For a graph to be statistically relevant with one shot at each charge weight, you would have to have charges with 1 fps ES.

If your load has ES of 10 fps for instance, load number eight might be 5 fps fast, at the edge of its envelope, while load number 10 might be 5 fps slow. This would present as a "node" around load number 9.

Thus the suggestion for more data points.

It is safe to say, you are producing more "noise" than data with your stated procedure.

I don't know about you, but I am pretty happy if I can produce loads with an ES of 30. Heck you will see more than 30 fps increase in velocity through a string just due to increasing barrel temperature. A cold barrel is a heat sink which sucks heat from the combustion of powder, reduces pressure, and reduces velocity.

It is not just a theory. Denton applied the Pressure Trace sensors, froze the barrels, and ran the data a few years ago.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Idaho Shooter

A cold barrel is a heat sink which sucks heat from the combustion of powder, reduces pressure, and reduces velocity.

It is not just a theory. Denton applied the Pressure Trace sensors, froze the barrels, and ran the data a few years ago.

I can agree with that.. I knew a guy who got frustrated over his 338 Win Mag not shooting that well, and got angry and began to fire one after another, the hotter that barrel got the better it shot to a point anyway. It depends on rifle and caliber.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
BLC2=W748
H110=W296

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nope, we aren't speaking the same language. Close, but not the same.

Nope, the Nosler "load" is a max charge weight, I'm going to be a little below that.

Repeating: it's a ladder test.

Repeating: I use .2 grain increments with small capacity cases, and .3 grain with large. What I'm looking for covers a span of only 3/4 or 1 grain of increasing charge weights.

A statistical graph isn't part if it, beyond looking at how velocities increase as pressures go up, in a list.

Barrel heat is addressed, just like I would do shooting at paper, at 300 yards. I allow cooling between shots. I also don't do load development below 30 degrees, or above 60. I did mention somewhere above that patience is required. But even still, the eventual load would tolerate barrel heat produced by 10 to 12 rounds across the span of a 90 second time limit.

30 ES is just terrible.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Any calibers that 414/760 are favorites for? I have a couple pounds that need to be burned up. I saw JamesJr’s post above.

Thanks.

Frank

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fshaw
Any calibers that 414/760 are favorites for? I have a couple pounds that need to be burned up. I saw JamesJr’s post above.

Thanks.

Frank

I have used W760 a lot. 45 grains of 760 and the 85 grain Sierra BTHP has been my favorite load in the 243, and it's worked in every rifle I've tried it in. I also use it in other bullets for the 243. It gave very good results in a 6.5 Creedmoor I tried it in, as well as a 7-08 and 7X57. It worked well in a 17 Rem, and I believe I also used in a 22-250. It'll work in a lot of different cartridges.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great load for my 30-06 180 SST. Wish it was stable though.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
For example from Nosler #8, the 7-08 with a 150 and H4350 shows a max load of 44.5 gr @99 % load density and 2692 fps.

I think that meets your load parameters.

It also shows 40.5 gr as a minimum load at 2442 fps. That gives us a 4 gr spread in powder charge to produce 250 fps increase in velocity. Or 12.5 fps for each subsequent .2 gr increase in powder charge.

For a graph to be statistically relevant with one shot at each charge weight, you would have to have charges with 1 fps ES.

If your load has ES of 10 fps for instance, load number eight might be 5 fps fast, at the edge of its envelope, while load number 10 might be 5 fps slow. This would present as a "node" around load number 9.

Thus the suggestion for more data points.

It is safe to say, you are producing more "noise" than data with your stated procedure.

I don't know about you, but I am pretty happy if I can produce loads with an ES of 30. Heck you will see more than 30 fps increase in velocity through a string just due to increasing barrel temperature. A cold barrel is a heat sink which sucks heat from the combustion of powder, reduces pressure, and reduces velocity.

But, let's look at your nosler load.

Firstly, you're assuming an equal linear increase in velocity with each .2 grains of charge increase. It never works that way in real life.

4 grains of published data between min and max is a good thing. Lots of room to work with.

My requirements are in the upper 3rd of that data, somewhere.

Listing the initial charge weights I would test. I know from previous experience max won't be part of it, so I would look to end the test around 44.3ish. No reasonable need for me to shoot above that.

That's 10 rounds, and almost 2 grains of increasing charge weights. Perfect.

These numbers are hypothetical, I've never loaded for a 7-08 that I can recall, so they're only based on patterns I've seen time and time again with other cartridges.

Velocity results:
44.3 2670
44.1 2640
43.9 2630
(43.8 2620 top)
43.7 2616
43.5 2610 middle
43.3 2605
43.1 2600 bottom
42.9 2590
42.7 2570
42.5 2560

When I look at those numbers I see a scatter node trying to end around 42.9 or 43.0. Then, the accuracy node I'm looking for begins around 43.1 with 2600 and goes probably to 43.8 with a velocity probably around 2620. Then the last scatter node that exists (before excess pressure begins somewhere above max) begins at 43.9.

So to capitalize on this I would probably retest, since I can't see it exactly in the initial test, 43.0 to 43.9 in .1 grain increments. Only to nail down the exact beginning and the exact end of the accuracy node.

But, if I was in a hurry and based on previous experiences, I could just pick 43.5 grains and go from there as my "load". That's the middle of a 3/4 grain span of pressures that produce very close velocities, and thus will produce very close points of impact down range. The upper part of a standard ladder test shot without a chrono before pressure signs.

You're talking about approx. a 20 fps ES across those charge weights. 10 above middle, and 10 below. That's the built in tolerance I've spoke of earlier. Differing pressures, similar points of impact.

Load 43.5, adjust seating depth to close groups, confirm at distance, true BC, twist turrets.

When you shoot THAT hypothetical load in THAT hypothetical rifle, there's a high probability of single digit ES and SD with a single charge weight of 43.5 gr. Good load.

As seasons change the velocities will shift a little but the pattern itself won't alter. Colder temps, expect a lower POI. Higher temps, expect a higher POI. "Accuracy" though, is normally unaffected because you're not dramatically changing the dynamics of the harmonics or changing the seating depth.

Lot # changes or a barrel change could shift that middle charge weight a tenth or three one way or the other. Retest, adjust if necessary.

People who test in half grain increments and go by group size skip right over this stuff while they burn up their barrel. Most not even knowing what's there.

If speed and the flatest trajectory possible are your measures of success this isn't for you. But if you want steady as you go predictable precision that takes the sting out of a host of variables, then this is one way to find it.

Check your zero, make good wind calls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fshaw

Thanks.

Frank
It's the bomb in the 7mm Mauser (7x57) with 120-140 grn bullets... no pun intended...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Feral American,

Have been following this thread for a while and so far refrained from commenting, even though you (and some other posters) don't understand some basics of smokeless powder productions.

But couldn't help myself with this comment of yours: "As seasons change the velocities will shift a little but the pattern itself won't alter. Colder temps, expect a lower POI. Higher temps, expect a higher POI. "Accuracy" though, is normally unaffected because you're not dramatically changing the dynamics of the harmonics or changing the seating depth."

I have done considerable testing of handloads with various powders from zero to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and POI does NOT necessarily differ only vertically in different temperatures. It can also vary considerably horizontally as well. As an example, one of the loads I tested moved to the right three inches when shot at zero F. after being zeroed at 70 degrees. This was in a rifle with a relatively heavy sporter barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Then there's the statistical problem with shooting a velocity ladder with one sample at each charge weight.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
No absolutes

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
An example of one load in one rifle with one powder, one bullet, one primer, one brass, one method of development, etc, etc. No?

How did you arrive at your load?

What are your criteria for load development?

If you say you had a load shift laterally 3 inches, let's figure out why. Figuring that out can only help everyone, unless it's just to nitpick my method. I'd like to know because it's nothing I've seen, yet.

I used the word "expect", as in the context of normally.

Did you expect the 3 inch lateral shift? I highly doubt it.

It would cause me pause too.

0 to 70 is quite a shift. I'd not only be looking at the load, but the rifle too.

And me.

Zero degrees is pretty cold, and 70 is pretty comfy. Was it ME at zero degrees, or something about my shooting form 70 degrees colder that caused the shift? I'd hafta rule out everything else before I blamed just the load.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Statisticians are no less annoying than gun writers.

No offense intended, just an observation.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Whether you're annoyed by it or not, the simple fact is measured velocity for a given charge weight is a random variable with a non-zero variance. There's no getting around that.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
An example of one load in one rifle with one powder, one bullet, one primer, one brass, one method of development, etc, etc. No?

How did you arrive at your load?

What are your criteria for load development?

If you say you had a load shift laterally 3 inches, let's figure out why. Figuring that out can only help everyone, unless it's just to nitpick my method. I'd like to know because it's nothing I've seen, yet.

I used the word "expect", as in the context of normally.

Did you expect the 3 inch lateral shift? I highly doubt it.

It would cause me pause too.

What range of temperatures do you test loads in? The temperatures this load was tested in during the shift were 70 and zero F.

I have used all sorts of methods to develop loads, including some versions similar to yours.

What I have noticed, consistently, over the past three decades since I started seriously testing differences in ammo (both factory and handloads) is the more difference in velocity between 70 and zero, the more likelihood of variations in point of impact.

No, I did not expect the 3-inch change in POI, but also didn't expect the nearly 200 fps difference in muzzle velocity between 70 and zero.

Have seen up to a 1-1/2" difference in POI at 100 yards, with far less difference in muzzle velocity--and no, it hasn't always been vertical--though sometimes it's a combination of vertical and horizontal.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
likelihood of variations in point of impact.

And that’s why l check zero shortly before l go hunting

Last edited by anothergun; 10/17/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
First of all I'll say this, it's your problem and yours alone at zero degrees. Unless it's deer season and I'm dialing in on a monster, or the redcoats are coming, I'm probably not going to be much involved with shooting anything at zero degrees. It's not a normal occurrence here, and when it does happen, I'm plenty fine to just sit my happy ass by the fire and wait a day or three for it to pass. I really don't care a lick what any load will do 32 degrees below freezing.

I try to develope a new load (new rifle, new barrel, new powder, new bullet, etc) in the 30 to 60 degree range, more towards the 60 mark than not. That's a more level playing field than too cold, or too hot. When I was shooting PRS I was keeping velocity data for three temp ranges. 0 to 30, 30 to 60, and 60 to 90, and the reason for that is the narrower the field a ballistics calculator looks at, the more refined the output it gives. If you're shooting at 10 or 15 degrees you don't want it trying to factor in 85 or 90.

I was going to ask you if you chronographed your 3" lateral shift. My question with that is, where was your ES compared to 70 degrees? And, did your groups hold together or did they fly apart?

Another question I have is, can you without a doubt absolutely rule out wind in your testing. That may sound like a stupid redundant question but you must have one a hell of a place to shoot so much testing so often over so long a period of time to be so definitive in your conclusions. I wait sometimes weeks here for a day with no wind, and that's on a range that can see 4 or 5 wind directions at the same time out to 1175.

If you shoot a Dan Newberry OCW round robin test you see, IIRC, a slight clockwise rotation from points lower to points higher with groups. So yeah, you might be seeing some of what that shows, whatever degree it may be under the circumstances. I always found that interesting when I shot that type of test but it was never enough to get worked up about. Just like my current method. Once locked into the right pressure range, there's not much if any lateral shift.

Look, I checked zero often throughout the year, the day before every match, and that would include a few over the chrono to double check the velocity inputs. Occasionally I would check zero the day of also, prior to the match, if the venue was allowing it. If I had any lateral movement it wasn't significant enough to worry about. My groups stayed consistent, and my elevations tracked with my ballistics calculator. That's all I needed from the rifle.

What charge weight increments do you hang your hat on when developing a load? And what makes you settle on a load? Just curious.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
likelihood of variations in point of impact.

And that’s why l check zero shortly before l go hunting

Awww. Look at you princess....sucking up to the gun writer.

So.......adorable.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

'nuff said!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[/quote]=Feral_American]First of all I'll say this, it's your problem and yours alone at zero degrees. Unless it's deer season and I'm dialing in on a monster, or the redcoats are coming, I'm probably not going to be much involved with shooting anything at zero degrees. It's not a normal occurrence here, and when it does happen, I'm plenty fine to just sit my happy ass by the fire and wait a day or three for it to pass. I really don't care a lick what any load will do 32 degrees below freezing.

I try to develope a new load (new rifle, new barrel, new powder, new bullet, etc) in the 30 to 60 degree range, more towards the 60 mark than not. That's a more level playing field than too cold, or too hot. When I was shooting PRS I was keeping velocity data for three temp ranges. 0 to 30, 30 to 60, and 60 to 90, and the reason for that is the narrower the field a ballistics calculator looks at, the more refined the output it gives. If you're shooting at 10 or 15 degrees you don't want it trying to factor in 85 or 90.

I was going to ask you if you chronographed your 3" lateral shift. My question with that is, where was your ES compared to 70 degrees? And, did your groups hold together or did they fly apart?

Another question I have is, can you without a doubt absolutely rule out wind in your testing. That may sound like a stupid redundant question but you must have one a hell of a place to shoot so much testing so often over so long a period of time to be so definitive in your conclusions. I wait sometimes weeks here for a day with no wind, and that's on a range that can see 4 or 5 wind directions at the same time out to 1175.

If you shoot a Dan Newberry OCW round robin test you see, IIRC, a slight clockwise rotation from points lower to points higher with groups. So yeah, you might be seeing some of what that shows, whatever degree it may be under the circumstances. I always found that interesting when I shot that type of test but it was never enough to get worked up about. Just like my current method. Once locked into the right pressure range, there's not much if any lateral shift.

Look, I checked zero often throughout the year, the day before every match, and that would include a few over the chrono to double check the velocity inputs. Occasionally I would check zero the day of also, prior to the match, if the venue was allowing it. If I had any lateral movement it wasn't significant enough to worry about. My groups stayed consistent, and my elevations tracked with my ballistics calculator. That's all I needed from the rifle.

What charge weight increments do you hang your hat on when developing a load? And what makes you settle on a load? Just curious.[/quote]

I'm probably not going to be much involved with shooting anything at zero degrees.

So you don’t develop loads at cold temps?

Last edited by anothergun; 10/17/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So you don’t develop loads at cold temps?

You're trying SO HARD to make a point, any point, to be some sort of relevant here.

And no, I don't. I have no need to. I find that load development is best done when temps are not that cold, and not too hot either. That doesn't mean I don't shoot at colder temps to check zero and velocity. Clearly stated in a post above. You must have missed it, or miscomprehended it, or skipped it entirely, as per usual.

Oh, and PLEASE figure out how to quote a post on this site. Your keyboard driving skills are nothing short of embarrassing.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Oh wow, but you just love to make people believe about temperatures you don’t deal with you friggin hypocrite!!

You really are a special kind of stupid.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

'nuff said!

Statistics can be manipulated to reflect any outcome desired. That's no news flash, that's common knowledge.

Gun writers (some driven by statistics) are all to often too wrapped up in 30 or so years of their own "findings" to be open to something that dares to possibly contradict them. We may very well see that here.

What's your own explanation for a 3 inch lateral shift with a 70 degree temp swing?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Oh wow, but you just love to make people believe about temperatures you don’t deal with you friggin hypocrite!!

You really are a special kind of stupid.

Go take a reading comprehension class and get back to us.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A sunburned scalp that effects your pee brain you dumb twit. Statistics is primarily opinion son. The atmosphere changes constantly without you knowing it, that’s common knowledge dip sh it. That why you win some you loose some competing. maybe someday you’ll learn that.

Last edited by anothergun; 10/18/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A sunburned scalp that effects your pee brain you dumb mother f ucker. Statistics is primarily opinion son. The atmosphere changes constantly without you knowing it, that’s common knowledge dip sh it.

Do yourself a favor dude and just let John Barsness prove me wrong. Your doing a horrid job of it. Put the crack pipe down and go to sleep, it looks like you've been up all night just to post more retarded shi t the minute I come on line.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Something you haven’t actually done but think you’re an authority on it you friggin bum. Pecker heads like you always get exposed sooner or later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks you Mule Deer for coming in on this. I'll trust your thoughts over a poster who's only been here for a month and a half.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Something you haven’t actually done but think you’re an authority on it you friggin bum. Pecker heads like you always get exposed sooner or later.

Think about what you're doing here dude.

Why on fuc king earth would I go through the bother and expense to DEVELOP a load at 0 degrees when I can make a load developed at 60 degrees work just fine at zero? On the very rare occasion I would shoot at that temp? Simply by switching inputs already previously confirmed via chronograph at that temp? And checking zero?

That's not hypocrisy, you blithering nitwit, that's efficiency, and it's kinda the point of my method.

If you want to be a part of an adult conversation here then step the fu ck up and BE an adult.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks you Mule Deer for coming in on this. I'll trust your thoughts over a poster who's only been here for a month and a half.

Oh we're GONNA drill down on a few things here.

Your explanation of a 3 inch lateral shift with a 70 degree temp swing?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
blaah blah blah blaah blaah blah....ah checking zero with the SAME powder sounds like an easier explanation then all other other BS you spew out !!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
blaah blah blah blaah blaah blah....ah checking zero with the SAME powder sounds like an easier explanation then all other other BS you spew out !!

I find it exponentially humorous to see people here trip over themselves to denounce the principles of a load development system that's been around for a LONG time.

Scroll down and pay attention to the writing about the Berger 77 OTM and Varget vs H4895. It may clear things up for you. There's pictures, so here's hoping for the best.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/13/creighton-audette-ladder-testing/

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
BLAAAAAAH BLAAAAAH BLAAAAAHHH !!! Cerebral dweeb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is Feral American really LFC? Sure sounds like him.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don't care if y'all think I'm full of s hit or not. What works for my needs works for me. I've no overwhelming desire to prove anyone's methods are less superior to mine.

I just stumbled across this blog looking for a time frame that Creighton Audette first started up his ladder tests. I don't know when this guy started doing this but it's dated 2017. I wouldn't imagine he kept it a secret very long being a blogger thriving on internet attention.

http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/

I've watched a video on the YouTube, I believe by the same guy in the blog, at some point along the way and remember saying hey, WTF? That's pretty much what I do.

I first started messing with Newberry's OCW in 2003 or 2004 or whatever. And over time tried to figure out why it was working, and I'm always looking for a better way to do something better. So I bought a s hitty chrono and dug in. What I've stated on this thread is what OCW and Audette have evolved into for me (of course with a better chrono that I can trust).

This was all prior to me getting involved in PRS and solely because I liked shooting steel on my own range that goes a bit past 1000 yards. When I got into PRS things just fit together nicely.

I'm not a speed junkie, I'm not a load development junkie, and I'm not claiming to reinvent any wheels. Obviously I'm also not the ONLY one thinking this way. My only claim is that this works for my needs and that's all that matters to me.

As far as Mule Deer's 3 inch lateral shift. By my criteria for a load, the explanation is ridiculously simple. Zero degrees proved it to be a steaming pile of s hit and therefore NOT a load to begin with. Scrap it, move on.

I'm new here, so I don't have all the players figured out yet, but this is what y'all remind me of. I can EASILY decide I have better things to do than waste my time arguing with y'all bunch of hateful bitter old women.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Y'all just do you, and I'll keep on doing me.

F UCK IT.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Feral American,

There's hardly ever any measurable wind when I test at zero degrees--which is common here in Montana, since I usually do it first thing in the morning. Such temperatures often occurs after a high pressure system moves in, and I prepare for the test by letting the rifles chill overnight, since I want to reproduce hunting conditions. (Have also found that the common method of freezing ammo at zero, and then testing at "normal" temperatures is unreliable, since as soon as a round's chambered in a warmer rifle, that changes things, partly because the bolt face warms the primers.) In fact zero degree mornings are usually reasonably pleasant, since they often occur during clear skies, so aside from being windless it's often sunny.

Have also found that just about any modern smokeless rifle powder is consistent from about 25 to 80 degrees. Below and above that things can get wonky, and even the most temperature-resistant powders tend to gain velocity above 80--though not as much as "standard" powders.

Which is why I also test in hot temperatures, usually at 95-100 degrees which is about as hot as it gets right here--though I also often "greenhouse" rounds by putting them inside a clear Ziploc bag with a small thermometer until they get to around 115-120. Also frequently test in a barrel that's shot enough quickly to get very hot, mimicking what often occurs during prairie dog shooting. This also indicates whether a certain rifle's barrel maintains its accuracy and POI when hot.

All of this is done partly because Montana has the widest range of recorded temperatures of any of the 50 states, but also because many readers deal with cold and heat when hunting elsewhere. I'm in the information business, not just loading for myself.

Also noticed about this statement from one of your posts:

"Compressed loads. I never advocate for them. Mainly because I don't like crunching kernels and potentially (and unpredictably) changing the burn characteristics of the powder. There are plenty enough powder choices out there to achieve an 85% to 100% load density without compressing a load. If that's something that doesn't bother you then who am I to argue. I won't do it though, and that's all there is to it."

In reality some powder compression tends to improve consistent burning, and also improves temperature-resistance--even in powders designed to be temperature-resistant. I know this partly by experimentation, but also plenty of information gleaned from powder manufacturers, distributors, and bullet/ammo companies, all of which had electronic pressure labs which I visited.

One of the most informative guys in the business was Rob Reiber, who was in charge the pressure testing at Hodgdon for decades before retiring a few years ago. He was a wealth of information on powder, including info on how to load to make it burn more consistently.

But there have been many others as well--including the owner of one powder distributing company (since purchased by Hodgdon) who helped me run tests in their piezo lab for article information. (As an example, one session involved seeing how accurate various "pressure signs" were in estimating safe pressures. Turned out most weren't of much use.) After several such sessions he even offered me a job in the lab, but I was already making more writing than he could offer.

Will be looking forward to more of your posts.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm new here, so I don't have all the players figured out yet, but this is what y'all remind me of. I can EASILY decide I have better things to do than waste my time arguing with y'all bunch of hateful bitter old women.

I once believed you were a new guy who was just trying to act as if he had experience. I do not buy that anymore. You're an old poster who has taken on a new ID, because he had wore out his welcome here under his old name. At any rate, you just need to chill out and realize that your opinions are yours and yours alone, and that others with a ton of experience have their own opinions on things. Quit being so argumentive, otherwise you're going to be on everyone's ignore list.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
Is Feral American really LFC? Sure sounds like him.

No idea who that is but that's a common problem here? A bunch y'all worry a LOT about who somebody might be.

I'm just a random irrelevant anonymous guy on the internet that's apparently too feral for the popular social media scene. Figured I'd fit right in with this shi t show of a forum.

Starting to rethink that now.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I once believed you were a new guy who was just trying to act as if he had experience. I do not buy that anymore. You're an old poster who has taken on a new ID, because he had wore out his welcome here under his old name. At any rate, you just need to chill out and realize that your opinions are yours and yours alone, and that others with a ton of experience have their own opinions on things. Quit being so argumentive, otherwise you're going to be on everyone's ignore list.

Can we start with yours?

PLEASE?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So, who's on first?! grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can we start with yours?

PLEASE?

Click.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was hoping to continue debating with you, and I have several questions I would still like to see you answer. But I'm done. Too much white noise. Sorry for the bother.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I was hoping to continue debating with you, and I have several questions I would still like to see you answer. But I'm done. Too much white noise. Sorry for the bother.

Does "white noise" mean actual information on powder compression from professional ballisticians?

By the way, the .270 load that shifted 3" right at zero degrees used RL-22 powder, and grouped into 1/2-3/4" at 70 degrees. I also worked up a load with the old mil-surp H4831 in the same rifle, and it shot similarly and right to the same POI at 70 degrees. In fact, if my memory is correct a 6-shot group--three with each load--would go under an inch.

But the old H4831 was also not very temp-resistant, as it lost over 150 fps from 70 to zero. POI didn't shift as much, but accuracy went south.

I shot both loads later in more normal temperatures, and they both returned to being very accurate--and shot to the same POI.

Is that the sort of information you were looking for?

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I still believe my question has merit. If we shoot a velocity ladder to look for flat spots in the charge vs velocity relationship with only one shot per charge, how do we account for the fact that at a given charge weight the resulting velocity is a random variable? When we shoot we are sampling from the distribution of its possible outcomes.

I would be more inclined to believe we've found a flat spot if we shot five or more rounds at each charge weight and then averaged the results to get our estimate of the velocity at that charge. Then if we see a flat spot in the charge-velocity relationship it would be more believable.

Companies such as Hornady and Sierra shoot many more shots at a given charge weight than just about any handloader will. I mention these two because they publish results for several charge weights, not just a min and max. Examination of their data doesn't reveal flat spots in the charge-velocity relationship.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’d like to just touch base on temperature one more time. Cold is more than just temperature gentlemen. I ran lots of tests about twenty years ago with some stiff loads of 243AI ball that was placed in the freezer overnight in a double freezer Ziploc bag. Put them in a cooler went to the range and my Oehler 35 showed no more than 25 fps spread. To my way of thinking it wasn’t enough to worry about as the chances of hunting in Alaska or the NW Territory was slim and certainly not with that cartridge.

Then I read one of Creighton Audette’s articles, and I believe Hatcher discussed this also, which revealed the real problem shooting is real cold weather and I should have known this as a former sailor. Cold air is denser and thus creates more aerodynamic resistance and drag. Hot air is the opposite. Food for thought

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 10/18/23.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Chill the rifle as well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I once believed you were a new guy who was just trying???? to act as if he had experience. I do not buy that anymore. You're an old poster who has taken on a new ID, because he had wore out his welcome here under his old name. At any rate, you just need to chill out and realize that your opinions are yours and yours alone, and that others with a ton of experience have their own opinions on things. Quit being so argumentive, otherwise you're going to be on everyone's ignore list.

He puts out info about temperature and load shift changes but never loaded except in mild weather and admitted that, and when gets called out on it, can't back it up other than.....

And no, I don't. I have no need to. I find that load development is best done when temps are not that cold, and not too hot either. That doesn't mean I don't shoot at colder temps to check zero and velocity. Clearly stated in a post above. You must have missed it, or miscomprehended it, or skipped it entirely, as per usual.

or this

Do yourself a favor dude and just let John Barsness prove me wrong.

Why does he Need Barsness to prove him wrong ?? LOL

Look, I checked zero often throughout the year

That's all I said..... And in my experience that was the only issue I ever have at say 200 yards at times. I shot further, not at the ranges shot by some here, but I do not believe a "load" shifts a POI verses the wind having more to do with it. When I change a load is when POI changes and that's the only time I have to re zero.

My groups stayed consistent
but your POI changes......
If I had any lateral movement it wasn't significant enough to worry about.
Sounds like you're on a roll

And what makes you settle on a load? Just curious
If the POI stays the SAME. And if there is no lateral movement from effected barrel harmonics effect by pressure spikes. I think that's easy enough to understand without getting to wordy in a salad ? LOL

Go take a reading comprehension class and get back to us.

Lay off all the topping and goofy Feral goofy slangs and maybe you can come across better.

confirmed via chronograph at that temp
Hmmm admits about temp effecting POI

But admits that....

load development and component choices
Which I gave as an example of summer and winter POI and has NOTHING to do with development or component choices JUST temp for my 35 Rem.

effect POI.. can't make up his mind at all TOSSED salad. I think he should change his name to Tossed Salad.

a slight shift in point of impact (elevation) is all you should ever experience with a large temp swing.

How would he know if he never developed loads save in mild weather....

And no, I don't. I have no need to. I find that load development is best done when[b] temps are not that cold, and not too hot either.

again to reinforce what I said earlier....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Uhhh, there's a goodly amount of time spent in not contributing anything substantive.

Personally I got some food for thought after reading all the cognitive replies here. I'm not inclined to give a hoot about temperature sensitivity as I'm more and more a fair weather shooter the older I get - but there's never a downside to learning more about the art and science of directing a bullet through the air. Now how about underwater ballistics, or the flight of a bullet on Mars maybe.

Oh, and to reference the original question, I dislike H-414/760 in general due to some admittedly haphazard trials long ago in forgotten rifles. How's that for an irrational statement?!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I still believe my question has merit. If we shoot a velocity ladder to look for flat spots in the charge vs velocity relationship with only one shot per charge, how do we account for the fact that at a given charge weight the resulting velocity is a random variable? When we shoot we are sampling from the distribution of its possible outcomes.

I would be more inclined to believe we've found a flat spot if we shot five or more rounds at each charge weight and then averaged the results to get our estimate of the velocity at that charge. Then if we see a flat spot in the charge-velocity relationship it would be more believable.

Companies such as Hornady and Sierra shoot many more shots at a given charge weight than just about any handloader will. I mention these two because they publish results for several charge weights, not just a min and max. Examination of their data doesn't reveal flat spots in the charge-velocity relationship.

Your initial question certainly does have merit it’s just unfortunate the channel is being lost in static.

I’d like to ask what I, and I’m sure others, would like to know. Is there a site monitor or any verbal navigation rules here or are we just going to continue to fetch up on the rocks

Rick

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Good god , trying to pick through all this is mind boggling., espeacially with nit picking
My question is , Is anybody getting great accuracy from 760 ?
I am on my last bottle of H414 and have a couple of 760
But haven’t seen great groups with it
Best being around 1,5”
So how about it , anyone getting great accuracy from 760 ?
Thanks , Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 10/18/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Good god , trying to pick through all this is mind boggling., espeacially with nit picking
Best being around 1,5”
Thanks , Kenneth

Hijacking is a major problem on this forum.... but at least there's no moderators ! LOL

I get awesome accuracy from 760

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Your initial question certainly does have merit it’s just unfortunate the channel is being lost in static.

I’d like to ask what I, and I’m sure others, would like to know. Is there a site monitor or any verbal navigation rules here or are we just going to continue to fetch up on the rocks

Rick

Please be respectful of other posters at all times. That's the only "rule" posted in forum rules ! LOL
Is there a site monitor or any verbal navigation rules here or are we just going to continue to fetch up on the rocks

I guess if you don't know that now, you never will.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

mainly coming form you... but with your massive ego, you'll be back !

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Best being around 1,5”
Thanks , Kenneth

Hijacking is a major problem on this forum.... but at least there's no moderators ! LOL

I get awesome accuracy from 760

So are you running about same wieght with both powders ?
Shooting 150 gold dots and getting groups in .3’s and .4’s with H414 308
Thanks , Kenneth

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Yes, I made this very point early in this discussion.

I guess FA believes his loads are capable of an ES of 1.

I fail to understand why any of us shoot groups at all, statistics being bullschitt and all that. We should just shoot one shot. If it falls somewhere near the bull, call it good.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Chill the rifle as well.
I wish I could pull up Denton's well thought out research on this topic.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Chill the rifle as well.

If I recall correctly the cold barrel turns out to be quite the energy thief.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Yes, I made this very point early in this discussion.

I guess FA believes his loads are capable of an ES of 1.

I fail to understand why any of us shoot groups at all, statistics being bullschitt and all that.

We should just shoot one shot. If it falls somewhere near the bull, call it good.

We should just shoot one shot. If it falls somewhere near the bull, call it good.

It’s the first shot that counts yes. Go three days in a row one shot each day. But one day and find a group saves gas ! LOL

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Best being around 1,5”
Thanks , Kenneth
Kenneth, again W760 and H414 are exactly the same powder, from the same manufacturer, packaged into different labels.

It has been confirmed many times over many years from the distributors.

H 414 & W 760 are the same

W 540 & HS 6 are the same

W 296 & H 110 are the same

MRP & RL 22 are the same

I am sure there are others

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best being around 1,5”
Thanks , Kenneth

If i get the time later this week, I will shoot one of my 243's at the 400 and 500 yard targets, and take a pic. It's a 20 inch barrel Remington 700 in a factory tupperware stock, with a Nikon 3.5X10 BDC. I'm shooting a 90 grain Sierra TGK with 760. On a good day, with no wind, I can shoot 2 inch groups at the 400 yard steel and almost as good at 500. For my old eyes I am satisfied. Also, I use 760 with an 85 grain Sierra HPBT in the 243, and I've never found a 243 that wouldn't shoot it into an inch or less at a 100 yards.

I have used 760 with a 107 grain TMK in the 6.5 CM with very good accuracy, as well with a 120 grain Sierra soft point. 760 works well for me despite what others might say about it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe HP38 and W231 were a similar pair.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Best being around 1,5”
Thanks , Kenneth
Kenneth, again W760 and H414 are exactly the same powder, from the same manufacturer, packaged into different labels.

It has been confirmed many times over many years from the distributors.

H 414 & W 760 are the same

W 540 & HS 6 are the same

W 296 & H 110 are the same

MRP & RL 22 are the same

I am sure there are others

seems you and FA are in cahoots together, but not foorrr looong ! LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fail to understand why any of us shoot groups at all, statistics being bullschitt and all that. We should just shoot one shot. If it falls somewhere near the bull, call it good.

I a rifle that I am going to deer hunt with, that is pretty much right on spot. It is the first shot out of a cold barrel that's going to count. To be honest about it, we really are wasting our time and money when we try to over complicate things.

Last edited by JamesJr; 10/18/23.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I a rifle that I am going to deer hunt with, that is pretty much right on spot. It is the first shot out of a cold barrel that's going to count. To be honest about it, we really are wasting our time and money when we try to over complicate things.

You don't believe that if you have a mediocre group short range, that farther down range it won't spread out ?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

How much shooting I do depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. Over time I established several loads that my 700 Classic in 300 Savage shoots quite well. The weekend before last I assembled a batch of the one I wished to hunt with to start the season. I went to the range to check the zero. The first two shots almost went through the same hole, right where they were supposed to land. No need for more, the proof of load work was done long ago.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
guess two is a good number, after two the barrel warms up. OOO don't let FA know that !!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thank you Idaho
Look forward to it James
Kenneth

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
guess two is a good number, after two the barrel warms up. OOO don't let FA know that !!

Barrel temp doesn't amount to squat in the circumstance I described. The rifle and load combination shoots well hot or cold, clean or dirty. I know this from prior testing. Like I said, the combination was proven good long ago.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Barrel temp doesn't amount to squat in the circumstance I described. The rifle and load combination shoots well hot or cold, clean or dirty. I know this from prior testing. Like I said, the combination was proven good long ago.

So when you shoot a ladder, you just walk up vertically how far apart to see where two rounds land within each other ? I see a pic on this website of the ladder

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-conten...ong-range-shooting-ladder-test-board.jpg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You don't believe that if you have a mediocre group short range, that farther down range it won't spread out ?

Here's my thoughts......I zero the rifles that I do my deer hunting with at 200 yards. I regularly shoot those rifles at ranges up to 500 yards, mainly just for the fun of it because I limit my shots on deer to 300 yards in most cases. Once I have that rifle zeroed, I'll check it again right before season opens by shooting it at 200 yards. As long as that shot is within what I call acceptable, I call it good. As I said, my first, and most likely, only shot at at a deer is going to be out of a cold barrel.

Obviously, if that first shot is off by several inches, then that's unacceptable. I've seen guys shoot box after box trying to sight a rifle in, and it shot no better when they were finished shooting than it did before. In my hunting rifles, I'm not necessarily trying to shoot competition rifle groups, but groups that are consistent enough that I'm happy with.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
shooting box after box tells me they are watching the wind. I remember reading about Hathcock and how he watched the wind, down range. There's alot more to it than just popping off rounds. Sounds like those guys don't have a clue. Windflags or even slop skiers landing where they need to land because of windsocks.

Wind speed and direction are measured at five different points based on average value, which is determined before every competition

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

How much shooting I do depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. Over time I established several loads that my 700 Classic in 300 Savage shoots quite well. The weekend before last I assembled a batch of the one I wished to hunt with to start the season. I went to the range to check the zero. The first two shots almost went through the same hole, right where they were supposed to land. No need for more, the proof of load work was done long ago.
Yes! No sarcasm in this one.

I am working with a new 24 inch Remington 5R in 260. Lapua brass, Scenar 123, CCI 200, H100V I think. I sent the rifle and box of ammo home with my Son last night. Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10.

I put about 20 -25 rounds through it laying down moly. And then she settled in. Each shot corresponded exactly to turret inputs. The last shot struck exactly 2.5 inches above POA at 200 yds. Just as expected by the previous three at 100 yds.

I did not need four more with this rifle to know it was good to go for deer hunting out to 400 yds.

Same with my old 670 in 30-06, or #1 in 7 STW. A couple fouling shots and then one for confirmation before season was all that was needed. Once the proper setting was found on the Hick's Accurizer with the #1 anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Chill the rifle as well.

If I recall correctly the cold barrel turns out to be quite the energy thief.

Do tell. A cold chimney effects draft, velocity. When l checked draft on a stack, l had to wait for it to reach temperature before taking a draft reading.

But a barrel and bullet seems to be a bit different.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Loaded three with H414 to verify zero and three with 760 both 50.5 gr
Will check them out tomorrow
Kenneth

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I don't agree with that statement at all

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 16penny, 44mc, 17 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,652
Posts18,512,721
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.