Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by kwg020
Hello John
I have not had any issues with the pins coming out or the holes elongating. I did tap the hole where the detent goes in for the rear pin with a 4x40 Allen screw. You have to cut a link or 2 off of the spring or the pin is hard to move but everything for the most part seems to stay put and is working well.

The biggest issue I have found is one of my lowers holds the buffer back from the end of the bolt carrier. This tends to put little dents all the way around the buffer from it hitting the buffer retainer pin and not coming to rest against the bolt carrier. It appears the location where the hole is, is simply drilled out of spec. I stopped using that one and have always thought I might make it into a .22 rifle.

kwg

Maybe TA fixed the problem, I had brought it to their attention. Those holes appear to be molded and not drilled, maybe they were tapered so they came out of the mold easier..? Just guessing.

I don't think it's good to have a space between the BCG and the buffer spring. However no first hand experience with that specifically, just something I recall reading when I was building these. More so with a captive spring buffer.

I have removed the retainer for the buffer as I its a PITA removing captive spring buffers with the retainer.

That's a good idea. I never thought about the captive spring buffer. Just eliminate the retainer, problem solved.

kwg

I have used these,
https://armaspec.com/ar-15-parts/buffer-springs/sound-mitigation-buffertm-smbtm-gen2-1.html

A little cheaper than the JP Enterprises, you will want to make sure when you lower the upper into place that the BCG and buffer are in contact, I have had to put a washer in the back of the buffer tube to close the gap, you probably already know this...

Thanks for the link. Everything I was seeing on Midway was $150. This is much more reasonable. Just what I needed, another reason to build another upper.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.