Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have an 18" barrel AR in 6.5 grendel, that i use as a general purpose farm rifle. (varmints of opportunity and deer hunting). It shoots very very well with the Hornady factory123 sst and Hornady black factory 123ELD-M load.

Killed a couple as deer with the ELD-M and a pile of ground hogs, raccoons, and opossums with that bullet this year.

My question is, im trying to standardize the ammo and load for this rifle. Which bullet is better for what I do with this rifle the 123 ELD-M or the 123 SST?

Thanks

FJB
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Which shoots better? My rifles like the Black best by far.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The ELD is a target bullet. The SST is designed for hunting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
In my Grendel for all purpose use I use the SST. If both shoot equally as well with both types then I don’t think you can go wrong with the SST at the speeds the Grendel is sending them and I’d expect more consistent results using a hunting bullet over a target bullet. I’m really enjoying the Grendel, it’s a fun round for a suppressed AR. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have shot both into test media. Oddly enough the ELDm has the innerlock ring. Expansion and penetration are very similar. However if the rifle in question shoots the SST as well than why not use it?

Dog I rescued in January

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by justin10mm

So the word target makes it lack killing power somehow?

Dog I rescued in January

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If the ELD-M is giving you exits, I’d pick it over the SST. The SST didn’t give consistent exits in deer in the Grendel for me, but I didn’t try the ELD-M. In the Creedmoor, they exit well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have experience with either in the Grendel, but the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, kills pronghorn dead at 238 yards. As the SST is a copy of the BT, I'd lean that way.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rickt300

They are not designed with controlled expansion in mind. The jackets are often quite thin and will act more like a varmint bullet than a big game bullet, especially at higher velocity.

You can get them to kill and you can also use a screwdriver as a pry bar. Still doesn't make it a good idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was still in the Grendel game and wanted to standardize to one single bullet it would be the 129-grain LRABs (provided I could find them).

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The ELD-M in most stuff has performed better for ‘controlled expansion’ than other cup and core lead hunting bullets…..few of which are ‘controlled expansion’ without some lock, fuse process, etc.

If SSTs are a copy of a NAB, the ones I’ve used in the Grendel were more fragile.

The ELDM expanded more on deer than the ELDX and still gave exits in the creedmoor for me. There’s no performance ‘rule’ based on terminology.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
The ELD-M in most stuff has performed better for ‘controlled expansion’ than other cup and core lead hunting bullets…..few of which are ‘controlled expansion’ without some lock, fuse process, etc.

If SSTs are a copy of a NAB, the ones I’ve used in the Grendel were more fragile.

The ELDM expanded more on deer than the ELDX and still gave exits in the creedmoor for me. There’s no performance ‘rule’ based on terminology.

SST's are not bonded and most definitely are not a copy of Accubonds. Look at that, a 6.5 Manbun shooter not knowing what they're talking about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

SST's are not bonded and most definitely are not a copy of Accubonds. Look at that, a 6.5 Manbun shooter not knowing what they're talking about.
SST's are more fragile than the NBT's even, too destructive on deer. definately not close to a NAB.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been pretty happy with the factory ELD's. Ammo/bullets are easier to find, accurate, and I'm not sure just how much deader you can kill something

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't say Nos AB, I said Nos Bal Tip, don't confuse the 2.
I don't know what defines fragile for the SST.
I went in the brisket and out the azz of a pronghorn at 303 yards with a 25 cal 117 SST from a 25-06. The exit wound, after traveling the entire length of the animal, was as big as my fist. Surprisingly, I missed ALL vital organs with that shot and a second shot in the neck was required.
I have never recovered a Nos Bal Tip or an SST, they all go thru.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 123gr SST was designed specifically for the 6.5 Grendel. I can't load them as accurately as Druid Hill Armory does so I buy mine from them.

Medics bury their mistakes..
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

They are not designed with controlled expansion in mind. The jackets are often quite thin and will act more like a varmint bullet than a big game bullet, especially at higher velocity.

You can get them to kill and you can also use a screwdriver as a pry bar. Still doesn't make it a good idea.

Not all target bullets are designed the same. Many feel the SST is pretty soft in itself. I and many others have found this particular ELDm to be a good game bullet. I would also say that more screwdrivers have been used to pry things than actual pry bars.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot both into test media. Oddly enough the ELDm has the innerlock ring. Expansion and penetration are very similar. However if the rifle in question shoots the SST as well than why not use it?
according to hornady's website, the ELD-M does not have an interlock ring, however, I use them deer hunting with great results.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I didn't say Nos AB, I said Nos Bal Tip, don't confuse the 2.
I don't know what defines fragile for the SST.
I went in the brisket and out the azz of a pronghorn at 303 yards with a 25 cal 117 SST from a 25-06. The exit wound, after traveling the entire length of the animal, was as big as my fist. Surprisingly, I missed ALL vital organs with that shot and a second shot in the neck was required.
I have never recovered a Nos Bal Tip or an SST, they all go thru.

We are speaking specifically of the 123 gr. SST designed for the Grendel not SST's in general.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ridge_Runner
according to hornady's website, the ELD-M does not have an interlock ring, however, I use them deer hunting with great results.

I shot several into water jugs and they all had the innerlok ring, this was a while back though.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,793
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.