Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
There is a store in the Midwest called Fleet Farm that is selling the Speer 100gr. #1220 for $21.99 + tax . They are right on the shelves in many stores. They are right next to the Hornady 100 Gr. and they are $29.99 + tax. We only shot one deer with it but it sure did the trick . A big doe at 50 yds and it was down in 40'

I am just not having any luck getting Speer's to shoot well enough in my 6mm. Latest batch are Hot Cores -90 grain #1217. I had such hopes for them. Got maybe half a box I won't use now.

The 140's do seem to work in my 260R and shoot to same impact as the GameKings I couldn't find.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Speer boat tails are soft across the board, but at least they're consistent about it, unlike the Sierra GK's. Some of them are pretty frangible, others pretty tough really depending on the caliber and grain weight. Just have to figure out which ones are which with the GK's.

The Speer BT's are generally easier for me to get good accuracy out of then the HC's, although I like some of the HC's. The BT's soft nature can be used to your advantage. I've used the 165 Speer SPBT in 30-06 for deer and can't really fault it.

More than heavy enough for whitetail, but soft enough to do the necessary damage at lower velocities or on a poor hit deer too far back such as the last one I killed with that bullet. Never touched the lungs, destroyed the liver. Took a bit of tracking for 80 yds or so after a death run, but end result was a very dead deer in short order.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get what you say ShadeTree. I love those 85hpbt's and for a Gameking and they are tough. Tougher than even the 100 grain Pro Hunters but both were hard to find and a hot core seemed like a perfect alternative. I have tried some of the other plain Speers in the past. I think ...no..I DO..over analyze things I read here and I get in trouble trying to fix what ain't broke sometimes but hey....I am a reloader....isn't that what we do?

Case in point I was told my fine shooting 260Rem had too slow of a twist for those 140 grain bullets I was slinging so well. So I changed.. Regret it - those 6.5 Gamekings are the best and most consistent bullet I ever used. Doh!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always had good luck with 100gr 243 bullets from all makers. The RN hits particularly well. I did have an issue with the Speer 85 or 87gr 243 bullet (I forget) on a big mule deer. Out of a 15" Encore 2 bullets blew up on impact with very little damage. There was enough damage to make the deer wander over and lay down under a rock cropping. I managed to sneak up to within 8' of him and put another shot in his neck - lights out. If that one would have failed, I would have had to jump on the antlers and cut his throat, as I was out of ammo.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I get what you say ShadeTree. I love those 85hpbt's and for a Gameking and they are tough. Tougher than even the 100 grain Pro Hunters but both were hard to find and a hot core seemed like a perfect alternative. I have tried some of the other plain Speers in the past. I think ...no..I DO..over analyze things I read here and I get in trouble trying to fix what ain't broke sometimes but hey....I am a reloader....isn't that what we do?

Case in point I was told my fine shooting 260Rem had too slow of a twist for those 140 grain bullets I was slinging so well. So I changed.. Regret it - those 6.5 Gamekings are the best and most consistent bullet I ever used. Doh!

The Sierra Game King isn't particularly long for its weight, so it doesn't need as tight a twist as some others. For comparison, Berger specifies 8" or tighter for their 140 grain offerings.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Ken, I like those 85 hpbt's myself. Way tougher than they should be which works out well for a lighter bullet generally traveling at faster speeds. They are a dandy C&C bullet in 6mm at reasonable ranges IMO.

As to your HC's not shooting, it could of course be that your rifle just doesn't like that particular profile of bullet and length, BUT I've run into that once myself with HC's.

I haven't shot them extensively across the board in a multitude of calibers and weights, but the 30 caliber 150 HC I've had good success with. Some batches shoot well, some very well. Also shot the 180 HC in 30 caliber and it shot well for me also.

The .284 130 gr HC I could NOT get to shoot in rifles that seemed to handle other bullets easily. I gave up on them then discovered others that were having the same issue with that bullet I believe beretz on here was one of them. He surmised that something had to be off in the internal balance, which is kinda what I was thinking just along a different line.

Must of been a problem with that particular mold because that bullet had good enough reviews in yrs past, and I've shot way too many HC's in 30 caliber to think it's a problem with their process. Anyways thought I'd pass that along.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 673, 14 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,374
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.