Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a lightweight Wintuff stock here - just need to find a decent barreled action to drop into it. Would like a 280 or 25-06 but could slum a 270. I’m stocked on 30-06’s.

GB1

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Technoman26
I have one that was built by Larry Racine (LPR Gunsmithing) for me. It is 100% built from Winchester parts. The stock was an eBay find. The barrel was a new take-off from a PF Featherweight Larry had in the shop for years. The action came from a gentleman here on the campfire. Larry trued the action, screwed on (and milled the barrel to ensure the timing was correct for the roll mark), re-chambered, adjusted the factory trigger, and glass bedded into the stock. It's light, handles and balances well, and shoots as good as it looks. So I suppose it's no longer a factory Lightweight, but it's a darn nice rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob
What cal?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I have one that was built by Larry Racine (LPR Gunsmithing) for me. It is 100% built from Winchester parts. The stock was an eBay find. The barrel was a new take-off from a PF Featherweight Larry had in the shop for years. The action came from a gentleman here on the campfire. Larry trued the action, screwed on (and milled the barrel to ensure the timing was correct for the roll mark), re-chambered, adjusted the factory trigger, and glass bedded into the stock. It's light, handles and balances well, and shoots as good as it looks. So I suppose it's no longer a factory Lightweight, but it's a darn nice rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob
What cal?

308 Win

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 1984 Winchester Model 70 Carbine push feed with 20” barrel. Had 2 at one time, both in 30/06. They are flamethrowers in poor light conditions and ruff on your ears. I still have mine, Son traded his in so he could buy a high dollar Jose Remirize classical guitar for performances. Mine has a compact 2 X 7 Browning ( Burris made) scope with engraved Millett rings. Not weighed it but it is my go to rifle for stands or stalking. Very light compared to a Remington 742 I had earlier. I at one time had a Model 70 Westerner. Rather rare but heavy also in 30/06. May have had a 24 or 26” barrel. Just heavy for type hunting we do in Southeast. Probably perfect for out west or sendero Texas tower hunting. I didn’t have but one season and something else came along that I had to try.

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I believe both of ours are 22in barrels

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
1st deer rifle I bought myself, I was 17. Had a one piece mount and a redfield tracker 3-9x then.
Now has a McMillan FWT pattern, talleys and that Burris as a place holder. Did have a conquest 3-9x I need on another rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The original stocks have great ergos for me.
Had a .223 with a Douglas barrel for a few years that was a hell of a shooter and killed a pile of groundhogs.

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain
1st deer rifle I bought myself, I was 17. Had a one piece mount and a redfield tracker 3-9x then.
Now has a McMillan FWT pattern, talleys and that Burris as a place holder. Did have a conquest 3-9x I need on another rifle.

Hell ya👍

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any guru's know when the lightweight lettering was on the barrel just after winchester 70 vs on the other side alone and in a cursive lettering? Years

You'll shoot your eye out
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Any guru's know when the lightweight lettering was on the barrel just after winchester 70 vs on the other side alone and in a cursive lettering? Years
I got both versions I think the cursive was cool as schit

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I’ve never seen one like that, pretty cool!
I didn’t think there were many around. Always heard the stock was designed by someone of notoriety. Can’t remember who now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Carbines with shorter barrels made ‘84-‘87, rifles with im guessing 22” Barrels made ‘87-‘95. I bought mine around ‘88 or ‘89 so if yours is a rifle and has cursive it would had to have been first year (‘87) only or possibly 87 & 88? Maybe someone in the know will chime in.
All I’ve seen have the same reddish stocks with decent grain. Mine isn’t the most accurate but will send most loads into 1 1/2” @ 100.

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E

I’ve never seen one like that, pretty cool!
I didn’t think there were many around. Always heard the stock was designed by someone of notoriety. Can’t remember who now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Hell ya👍

I'm with you earlybrd, I like both those stocks. Either version works for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Roughly ‘89 - ‘92 on the cursive or script; so prior to that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob

That's a sweet rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob

That's a sweet rifle.

Thanks BSA. I'm pretty fond of it. Not to mention, Larry is a family friend. He and my dad have know each other for 50 years or so. Larry is in his mid-eighties and claims he's going to retire. I'm skeptical. Last time I was at the shop (last spring) he had more rifles in the shop than I'd seen in a few years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is cheating. Win M670 from the late 60's. Push feed 30/06 carbine. Even with an 18.5" barrel it is still 7#2oz

Last edited by richj; 10/31/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rob

Boy, I could get along with that rifle pretty well.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I put together a .300 WSM Classic with a Bansner Sheephunter stock and Gentry rings and it was 7lb 4oz with a 3.5-10 VX-3

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.