Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been using the candle method for years but want to try using the torch / socket / drill method. I have 750 degree, green Tempilaq to get a baseline time.

Question: where should I paint the Tempilaq? Inside the neck? Outside the neck? Just below the shoulder on the case body?

What am I looking for, the Tempilaq to cook off?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres what I use. It does good for me. YMMV.
https://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 10/18/23.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

This is what I use as well. Works for me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inside the neck

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Inside the neck and watch for it to change color/ melt.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Been using the candle method for years but want to try using the torch / socket / drill method. I have 750 degree, green Tempilaq to get a baseline time.

How did you arrive at 750 for a temperature? -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
a lot of the research I've done when I first started annealing indicated putting the 750 on the inside of the neck and leaving brass in the flame for about 1 second after the tempilaq disappeared.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
a lot of the research I've done when I first started annealing indicated putting the 750 on the inside of the neck and leaving brass in the flame for about 1 second after the tempilaq disappeared.
👍 That has been my method also.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a big difference between 'annealing' at 750 with a slower method versus a method (like induction) that reaches 750 quickly.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deans
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

This is what I use as well. Works for me.

That looks interesting. If the socket / drill method doesn't work out I may look into that. I am tired of the candle method when I have to do a bunch of cases.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got an Anneal-Rite a number of years ago, for that reason. It works well, but of course takes a little longer to "set up" than lighting a candle....
"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But, but, but, the candle method is the Sacred Cow on this forum. Lol.

You'll get tired of messing with the tempilac in the drill and socket too. Ya gotta put it inside every case neck, you gotta wait for it to dry, and you probably should brush out the residue afterwards.

Just build one of these, cheap, and easy.

Much better uniformity and much easier to set up and use.

As far as the tempilac is concerned you don't really need it with something like that in the youtube. An orange flame starting off of the case neck is the zinc in the brass starting to burn off (easier seen in a darkened room). That's too hot. Back off your time in the flame by increasing the rotation speed and getting the case to drop a second or two before the orange flame first starts. That'll be around 740 or 750 degrees and it will be a good consistent anneal from case to case.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Feral_American

You'll get tired of messing with the tempilac in the drill and socket too. Ya gotta put it inside every case neck, you gotta wait for it to dry, and you probably should brush out the residue afterwards.

As far as the tempilac is concerned you don't really need it with something like that in the youtube. An orange flame starting off of the case neck is the zinc in the brass starting to burn off (easier seen in a darkened room). That's too hot. Back off your time in the flame by increasing the rotation speed and getting the case to drop a second or two before the orange flame first starts. That'll be around 740 or 750 degrees and it will be a good consistent anneal from case to case.
Actually after about 5 cases with the Tempilac you figure out the timing and it is relatively quick. Not for doing 500 cases at a time but for lots of 50-100 it works well enough.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Actually after about 5 cases with the Tempilac you figure out the timing and it is relatively quick. Not for doing 500 cases at a time but for lots of 50-100 it works well enough.

My persective is from 100 to 120 cases a month for matches and 200 to 400 a month more for practice between matches. I'd rather get the boring jobs over quicker and easier. Besides I want the assurance of a mechanical aid for consistency.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

My persective is from 100 to 120 cases a month for matches and 200 to 400 a month more for practice between matches. I'd rather get the boring jobs over quicker and easier. Besides I want the assurance of a mechanical aid for consistency.
And I can certainly understand that and if I was still competing that would be the way to go but for most of the rest of us a propane torch and some Tempilac gets the job done.👍

Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If I was still competing that would be the way to go but for most of the rest of us a propane torch and some Tempilac gets the job done.👍

That's also the reason I've kept my Anneal-Rite, even after experimenting a lot with various annealing methods back when I was shooting around 8000 rounds a year for various purposes, including an AMP machine--which worked very well once the timing was down right for the particular batch of brass.

But after starting my semi-retirement process five years ago the Anneal-Rite soon became sufficient.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JB, do you Tempilaq a couple of cases and time them and just go by time fir the rest of the batch? Anneal Rite instructions indicate marking all the cases, I think.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, that's exactly what I do--despite the directions, and the results are very good.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
propane torch and my fingers. i'll know when the case is hot enuff from my fingers.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tdoyka
propane torch and my fingers. i'll know when the case is hot enuff from my fingers.
It's the method I have been using. It's damned slow and not very accurate. But, it does anneal cases. If I were doing 8000 cases a year I'd want a better method.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,122
Posts18,483,677
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.