Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by brydan
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
It's been forty years since I've had classes in metallurgy, but IIRC we're looking at normalizing (stress releaving, increasing ductility and equalizing grain size) to full scale annealing which reduces hardness.

Recovery annealing, stress relieving if you want to call it that, is just as the name suggests, limits annealing to the recovery phase. There's no change to the grain structure. Full annealing, normalizing, etc, involve changes (recrystalization and grain growth) to the grain structure. That's why you see larger changes to the material properties with those processes than with recovery annealing.
Thanks for the clarification đź‘Ť
I pulled out my old text book to refresh my memory. It discusses yellow brass but doesn't have a chart that shows how different temperatures affect the properties of it.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Thanks for the clarification đź‘Ť
I pulled out my old text book to refresh my memory. It discusses yellow brass but doesn't have a chart that shows how different temperatures affect the properties of it.

I hear ya! I have to dig out a book now and again for a memory refresh too laugh

This document is old but it's a gold mine of information. It doesn't spell out the answers for reloaders but for technically minded people that are interested in the topic there's a lot to unpack in it. If you click on the PDF version that's the easiest to read. https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/items/5215

Last edited by brydan; 10/26/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Easy doesn't have to be hard, and simple doesn't have to be complicated.

$70 in parts and a Sunday afternoon invested.

~In return I get a good consistent anneal after every firing that gives me .001" shoulder bumps and .002" neck tension, my personal requirements for precision handloads.
~I get the job done in much less time than any other method I've used, or any other method I've seen lauded on the interwebs.
~I didn't spend a small fortune to have what I needed.
~I have no burnt fingers, none, nada, zip.

Nothing less. Nothing more.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Deans
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Heres what I use. It does good for me. YMMV.
https://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

This is what I use as well. Works for me.
Thanks guys I’m tired of the drill socket and the other methods I’ve been using and just ordered one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, the carrier in Tempilaq liquid can flash off after a while. The product gets thicker and the response time is way different than original.

There are several ways to address this. A look on the Markal site is worthwhile.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Feral_American

~In return I get a good consistent anneal after every firing that gives me .001" shoulder bumps and .002" neck tension, my personal requirements for precision handloads.
~I get the job done in much less time than any other method I've used, or any other method I've seen lauded on the interwebs.

Very nice setup. Can you share your parts list?
I use drill, socket, torch and metronome app, or I have a salt bath setup that I like except for set up time.
But I also like projects so maybe I need a home made annealing machine as well ha ha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mod7rem

I use drill, socket, torch and metronome app, or I have a salt bath setup that I like except for set up time.
But I also like projects so maybe I need a home made annealing machine as well ha ha.
So far, I've been really happy with my homemade induction annealer.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I ordered on Tuesday and received it today talk about fast shipping. The only thing that I could say was different than the video was that he said they opened the torches and tested them and didn’t. I’m fine with it but someone will complain and I can’t wait to try it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
I like what Al is doing. I don't have a ring of fire device. I put a case in a drill and rotate the brass as I hold a torch on the neck. Drop the case into water when "done". I used to used a melting pot - molten lead and that worked. The accuracy improvement has been significant with some 222 loads.

That (Al's ring-o-fire) may work great but it ain't fer the clumsy among us. I'd best stick to my machine.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I found with the candle method, in my case with an alcohol burner, and 750 Templaq, I found I didn't get a colour change before my fingers got too hot.

I ran into the same thing and that is what motivated me to buy an Anneal-rite 15 years ago.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Al,

When using your method and the “ring o fire” where on the brass do you apply the 350 degree Tempilaq?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Al,

When using your method and the “ring o fire” where on the brass do you apply the 350 degree Tempilaq?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nealing-for-those-who-doubt#Post18451996

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Apologies for not seeing this sooner.

Go to YouTube and look up Elfsters Rifles and Reloading annealers, its his design.

He has videos that include what parts you need and how to build one. It's been so long since I built mine that sources and prices may be different with how things are these days. I did get everything for mine from Amazon and Ebay.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Al,

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nealing-for-those-who-doubt#Post18451996

Thanks Whitetail!

I would think different brands, even different lots, might heat up at different rates. Pretty sure I don’t want to go that far down the rabbit hole though…..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.amazon.com/%E3%83%8E%E3%83%BC%E3%83%96%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89-Annealer-Annealing-Treating-International/dp/B09FNXG46L

The one I got a couple of years ago. Love it.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.