Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ran onto the well on my place in the morning before dark one morning turkey hunting.

Someone pulled the concrete cap, put some tin over the well top then put the cap back on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There are several old drill holes in a canyon on our Hill Country lease that we try to avoid. The landowner's property in Boerne has areas that sit over a cave system that has only been partially explored. It's spooky to be walking his place and almost step into a hole that seems bottomless. He thinks it's the same cave system as the Boerne Cave Without a Name which is about a mile from his gate.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
We had one on our old deer lease in a spring. It was only about 6 feet deep though. I got too hot once in the summer and climbed down in it to cool off.
I was thankful for it that day.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup. There’s a capped one in the uncleared section of the local ball field where I used to walk my dog. I don’t think I could budge that cover with a six-foot digging iron. Another one was on my WMA, just a hole with some rocks around it. Not sure if it was for a farm or the old mineral baths that were there 100 years ago.

Something else that’s really scary are the “breaks” that are common in coal mine country, essentially cave-ins above mine shafts. No telling how deep they might be, but I’m pretty sure there ain’t any cell service at the bottom of any of them. The one I actually ran into was very well-hidden, full of leaves and barely noticeable.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What's even scarier than some of the high mountain abandoned mine shafts in the Rockies are the roads going to them. I've been on some that are spooky with a UTV. I can't imagine driving a 2 ton truck up some of those roads.
I came across some guys punching in a logging road on a mountainside and they bladed into an vertical raise (shaft) building that road. Yeah roads can have surprises and those old roads put in pre-bulldozer Era are very scary.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Seen some covered and some open.

Worst was when working in the goldfields of Western Australia. Open shafts and stopes everywhere. We’d be drilling with reverse circulation and lose returns only to have dust coming up a shaft 50yards away. Once into the floor we would get circulation back.

A drilling company we used left us to go out past Laverton, way up north of Kalgoorlie, just before Christmas 1987. They were double shifting, this fellow moved a Ute and walked back to the rig but didn’t turn up. He fell down a 114’ shaft, and lived. Fractured skull, pelvis, femur etc. Onto Royal Flying Doctor Service to Perth and turned out ok. They think he fractured skull and was unconscious when he fell in, thus totally relaxed the rest of the way!

Hate to think what was down some of those old workings. No markings they were there at all.

Last edited by rockdoc; 11/12/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to know where a couple were when I was a kid roaming the woods behind the house with a BB gun. I didn't know who owned the land and back in those days nobody cared much.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Found several of them through the years. Always made me nervous when coon hunting by myself.

Had to retrieve a coon hound out of a well one night while hunting by myself. Luckily it had filled in over time and was only about 10 feet deep and semi dry.

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 36 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.