Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
I have Remington 760, 81 or 83 30-06. The brass has been coming out very hot. I don't remember it doing that before.
Imr4350 54.5,. With partions. Remington brass with wlr. I don't recall the hot brass in past

And then last time,and this may be indication, it split 2 brass out of 25. Brass had been sized years ago,and tumbled after. Someone though cases seemed like they had lube split on neck length of body.brass was only fired twice.

I did remove barrel in 2016 to replace oring. Shot maybe 200 times since

I picked up box factory ammo this weekend, and when I get home will see if the brass is hot . If not hot, I am going to clean my brass to see if lube is issue

I also stuck a mop in barrel from chamber. I do clean barrel a lot,but not chamber.

I've gotten this rifle to 1" with cold shots.

Opinions on hot brass? Thanks

HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fired brass is very hot from everything 22lr and up.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Bolts are not hot. 300 win mag, same load in 30-06, cold. Maybe doing lots of shooting to heat barrel it is possible.

I think semi autos may be hot due to gas. But not a bolt.

Last edited by Zerk; 10/21/23.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Zerk, my experience is that brass is hot coming out of the chamber. Just get a few down your neck. Your 4350 load is very moderate and shouldn’t cause case neck splitting. I regularly load 56.5 gr for my 30-06 and it’s still below max. I’m thinking it’s brittle brass. Just a bad batch. I had a box of that some years ago and threw it away. Remember that you’ve set off a (hopefully) controlled explosion in that case - that means a lot of heat. If the chamber (and I’d be surprised if your chamber damaged) is OK then just use a different batch of brass.

Last edited by OldRooster; 10/21/23.
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Go shoot a round in backyard from a bolt. I have been doing lots of shooting lately. 300 win mag and 30-06 yesterday. Brass is not hot from a bolt.

I am not sure if pump is exact same as bolt if there is a way for gas to blow back. I don't have pump with me.

Last edited by Zerk; 10/21/23.
IC B2

Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
What is your experience with bullet impact on split case? I am getting ready for hunt and concerned about shot placement if brass cracks

Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
I have never had a bolt operated rifle through brass down my neck,that I recall. Again I suspect the difference is gas operated guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I had a BAR in 243. The ejected brass was always too hot to pick up as soon as it was ejected. Never figured out why. A bolt doesn’t eject hot brass. Why the little Browning did, I never figured out.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rolly
Years ago I had a BAR in 243. The ejected brass was always too hot to pick up as soon as it was ejected. Never figured out why. A bolt doesn’t eject hot brass. Why the little Browning did, I never figured out.
It's a gas gun, brass will be hot. BAR, Remington or whatever other semis are all the same.

If you could operate a bolt gun extremely fast you would get some pretty warm brass. Not as hot as brass from an auto but pretty warm. With a bolt you're probably 2-3 seconds or more after firing before you spit that brass out in your hand, it's already cooled a bunch.

No surprise brass heats up as it just had a hell of an explosion go off inside of it.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zerk
What is your experience with bullet impact on split case? I am getting ready for hunt and concerned about shot placement if brass cracks
Did the brass that split put shots in the same place as non split loads on the range?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/21/23.

IC B3

Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
One of shots was low. Not sure about other.

I ordered some starline brass. I got tons of Remington. But I got trip coming up and I want this as back up

I hope sleeping dog ammo is legit. It came up on ammo seek.

Back to pump does some of the gas blow open slide? Some people saw their slide opens. I always wondered if that is some kind of wear. Of course I don't think about it when shooting

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If they open easy a lot of times they come part way open on firing. At least 1 of mine was that way.

Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Would gas then exit back,heating brass?

I am going to have to go buy one just to find out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Rolly
It's a gas gun, brass will be hot. BAR, Remington or whatever other semis are all the same.

If you could operate a bolt gun extremely fast you would get some pretty warm brass. Not as hot as brass from an auto but pretty warm. With a bolt you're probably 2-3 seconds or more after firing before you spit that brass out in your hand, it's already cooled a bunch.

No surprise brass heats up as it just had a hell of an explosion go off inside of it.
Yup

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're overthinking this. 10 gauge answered your question. No other action ejects brass as quickly as an auto. That's the difference

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by moosemike

You're overthinking this. 10 gauge answered your question. No other action ejects brass as quickly as an auto. That's the difference

Yep

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of shots was low. Not sure about other.

Back to pump does some of the gas blow open slide? Some people saw their slide opens. I always wondered if that is some kind of wear. Of course I don't think about it when shooting

On a 760 it's not gas, it's mechanical and it's only because you're shooting off the bench. Upon firing it disengages your action lock. It's all happening in milliseconds and it would be like after firing if your bolt was all the way up on a bolt gun ready to be pulled back. Difference is the forearm is being utilized as your bolt handle and it is setting on a front support. The rifle recoils back into your shoulder then front again pushing the pump (bolt) slightly open, or sometimes very open. Very hot brass is not uncommon as it had no chance to cool in the chamber.

Shoot it normal and not off the bench and you will notice the brass isn't near as hot, or not at all, because your action will stay closed immediately after firing.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Again, do pump's brass get hot or not? Bolts do not I was shooting different times with hot brass. Same brass in bolt, not hot or splitting.

I bolt I shot 75 or so, no splitting.
I have ejected brass fast and slow on bolts, it is not hot. With pump it is not warm, it is hot.

I have my doubts it has anything to do with how long in chamber. The rifle is cold. Slow shooting.

Maybe slide is opening and allowing gas to heat brass. Odd I never thought about this before. It is very hot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
With a bolt action the fired case stays in the chamber long enough for the chamber/barrel to act as a heat sink, drawing a lot of the heat from the case.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
direct impingement gas gun equals hot
piston driven gas gun equals slightly cooler
bolt gun equals nice and cool...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,291 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.