Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Zerk
Again, do pump's brass get hot or not? Bolts do not I was shooting different times with hot brass. Same brass in bolt, not hot or splitting.

I bolt I shot 75 or so, no splitting.
I have ejected brass fast and slow on bolts, it is not hot. With pump it is not warm, it is hot.

I have my doubts it has anything to do with how long in chamber. The rifle is cold. Slow shooting.

Maybe slide is opening and allowing gas to heat brass. Odd I never thought about this before. It is very hot.
Of course they get hot. Just had an explosion in there. Your brass from a bolt action does too.

You cannot open a bolt that fast after firing otherwise that brass would be hot too.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try shooting an M249 with a short-sleeved shirt. Knowledge will come from that experience!

Old guy, old guns.
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Again, do pump's brass get hot or not? Bolts do not I was shooting different times with hot brass. Same brass in bolt, not hot or splitting.

I have ejected brass fast and slow on bolts, it is not hot. With pump it is not warm, it is hot.

I have my doubts it has anything to do with how long in chamber. The rifle is cold. Slow shooting.

Maybe slide is opening and allowing gas to heat brass. Odd I never thought about this before. It is very hot.
Of course they get hot. Just had an explosion in there. Your brass from a bolt action does too.

You cannot open a bolt that fast after firing otherwise that brass would be hot too.
Go shoot one off in backyard, so you know

Quoting on this forum sucks on phone.

Last edited by Zerk; 10/21/23.
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Some of you need to shoot more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Go shoot one off in backyard, so you know

Quoting on this forum sucks on phone.
👍🏻👍🏻

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Go shoot a round in backyard from a bolt. I have been doing lots of shooting lately. 300 win mag and 30-06 yesterday. Brass is not hot from a bolt.

I am not sure if pump is exact same as bolt if there is a way for gas to blow back. I don't have pump with me.

The faster the cyclic action of your gun, the hotter the brass is when it exits the chamber.

Sitting in the chamber sucks heat from the brass. Brass from a bolt gun is cooler simply because the contact with the barrel has cooled it. Wait a second to cycle the action on your pump, and that brass will come out cool also.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

ALL brass gets hot as the cartridge is fired. The flame temp is hot enough to erode and micro crack steel.

Again, the difference is how long the brass maintains contact with cool barrel steel, and how much heat is extracted from the brass before you touch it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have Remington 760, 81 or 83 30-06. The brass has been coming out very hot. I don't remember it doing that before.
Imr4350 54.5,. With partions. Remington brass with wlr. I don't recall the hot brass in past

And then last time,and this may be indication, it split 2 brass out of 25. Brass had been sized years ago,and tumbled after. Someone though cases seemed like they had lube split on neck length of body.brass was only fired twice.

I did remove barrel in 2016 to replace oring. Shot maybe 200 times since

I picked up box factory ammo this weekend, and when I get home will see if the brass is hot . If not hot, I am going to clean my brass to see if lube is issue

I also stuck a mop in barrel from chamber. I do clean barrel a lot,but not chamber.

I've gotten this rifle to 1" with cold shots.

Opinions on hot brass? Thanks
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/65925/view/posts/page/1

Where you been for the last six years?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL. In reading your original inquiry, we have a pretty good idea on how much you actually shoot.

It's a gas-operated auto, brass gets hot - every time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
I have probably shoot 300+ 30-06 and 300 win mag this summer and 100 243.
It has nothing to do with sitting in chamber. I am shooting on a bench. I have left bolt brass into see. Nope cold

I am doing cold barrel shooting also.

Go shoot one off in backyard you will see. Bolt is cold, nothing to do with cycle time. Gas rifles the gas is blowing back.

Go shoot and report back.

IC B3

Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by SKane

LOL. In reading your original inquiry, we have a pretty good idea on how much you actually shoot.

It's a gas-operated auto, brass gets hot - every time.
I do not have any gas operated hunting rifles. Other than 22. Got a good idea how well you know guns. 760 is a pump

Last edited by Zerk; 10/22/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently reading comprehension is not a strong suit of mine this morning. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
740 is semi auto. But I get if not your gun,you don't keep track of numbers.

The reason I mentioned semi auto is because they are common, and bar was mentioned

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

This is the answer

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Would gas then exit back,heating brass?

I am going to have to go buy one just to find out

Is this about you talking yourself into buying another gun?! Lol!

Seriously though, I've had a couple cracked cases in my shooting past, I remember them sounding differently and impact was not the same. I might suspect your brass here, and try another brand to compare and see you've got different brass coming. Does the hot/cracked brass look any different at all? Other than the crack of course. Any "blowback" or discoloration at the neck? Please post your findings after using the different brass.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
300 win mag this morning. Cold brass.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
🙄

Z
Zerk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Z
I've got a 100 yard range. So I do a bit of shooting at times

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have probably shoot 300+ 30-06 and 300 win mag this summer and 100 243.
It has nothing to do with sitting in chamber. I am shooting on a bench. I have left bolt brass into see. Nope cold

I am doing cold barrel shooting also.

Go shoot one off in backyard you will see. Bolt is cold, nothing to do with cycle time. Gas rifles the gas is blowing back.

Yes, the gas is blowing back, into a gas tube, and pushing on a piston.

WOW! Many of us shoot that in a weekend. Weekend after weekend. ETA: Heck I thought that was 300 each of 30-06 and 300 mag. Scratch that weekend crap. Make it a day.

STOP and read again what everyone is trying to tell you. Sitting in the chamber does not heat the brass. Sitting in the chamber cools the brass.

AGAIN! A gas operated gun cycles the action faster than a pump, which is faster than a bolt. The gas from a gas gun does not flow into the chamber. It pushes upon a piston which operates the action. Just exactly like the forearm operates the action on the 760.

This is true whether it is a 742, an 1100, an AR, Garand, M 14. The gas does not re-enter the chamber to re-heat the brass.

A caveat, I have never had my hands on a DI AR. I think the gas pushes against a piston which is part of the bolt. But I may be wrong about that.

All of the others listed have a gas chamber, and a piston, to drive the bolt. Many of them have an op-rod separating the piston from the bolt.

Bottom line, gas operation does nothing to make brass hotter at exit. It does something to prevent cooling of the brass before it is ejected. There is a significant difference.
laugh grin smile

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I once (ONCE) shot gophers out the car window with a BA-22 while wearing shorts. ONCE!!! My teen-aged inner thigh was branded by Remington.......

I'm thinking that 55+gn of smokeless might-could heat up a piece of brass pretty good. I know that ~25-27gn of powder, an AR-15, and a naive prairie-dog town can make for some mighty hot 223 brass.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.